Almost OP they said

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arcturus.8109

Arcturus.8109

As a staff player, a dev said staff ele got stronk. But there was nothing about staff in patch notes. I might be missing a batch of notes.

And you believed in that? Also where is that “staff ele will be OP” thread now? I still haven’t seen any “OP” staff ele.

Talking about fresh air – yes, it is cheesy. Not because of macroses or damage directionality, but because it relies solely on one feature – Teh Burst. Fresh air’s s/x arcana burst is pretty much instant and untelegraphed so it is very cheap but powerful move. You either hit with pressallthebuttons move and win or miss and lose. Basically this is a definition of “cheese” as it used in games.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bladesfist.1942

Bladesfist.1942

I am finding Ele to be in a really good state atm, be it the changes that were made or the amount of PVE players that have started to play. I am finding that even more people are playing condi builds and with diamond skin and a lot of healing power it is getting to the point where it takes a very good player to even break that buffer as I am getting a LOT of health regen and can get myself back to full health with a quick jump into water.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Lol what a lame logic to consider burst cheesy. Must be coming from players that are too afraid to die easily and thus spec more towards defense than offense. Instead on relying in their players skills to survive more with fewer defense no they rely heavily in their traits, utilities and defensive stats. Being a punching bag is even more lame.

I consider fresh air burst to be cheesy, mostly because of how much using it disadvantages you in anything other than a prearranged 1v1, but also because it is a burst with a pretty big amount of instant damage.
Staff burst is better, because it has so many built in tools and requires a bit more effort to set up, while being less of a one-and-done build.
Dagger burst is rare because of melee.

I consider builds that evolve around the arcana, water tree and on defensive stats to be cheesy too because they require no effort to stay alive even without dodging and predicting your opponent next move right. Any build disadvantages you on anything other than 1v1 against 2 or more GOOD players by yourself. Group/zerg it is easy and require a bit of thinking instead of mindlessly jumping in the front line to get hammered. Against bad players winning outnumbered (by yourself) is always possible regardless of what build you use.

You misunderstand me. By “anything other than a prearranged 1v1” I mean any situation where-

You are surprised.
Teamfights (because you take down one person, maybe, then immediately die or just have nothing left).
Any time relatively close to a fight (because of the high CD of the burst).
Any time something exists that can take your burst and live (so pretty much any condi build and any bunker).

It’s a spec designed to win one 1v1 every 40+ seconds if you get the drop on the other guy, which is why it isn’t particularly amazing in any form of the game, but it will always win that 1v1 unless the other guy times a dodge.
That’s why I consider it cheesy. The enemy dodges once and you lose, if they outlive it you lose, if they don’t do either you win.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

Any time something exists that can take your burst and live (so pretty much any condi build and any bunker).

this is true. Engi and Necro speccing deep into condition damage are currently “out of control”, in particular in WvW where you can get traits and food to boost even further what’s already unbalanced. Since this aspect of the game has been broken for quite a while, I am not even sure anymore about a.net caring for it, I would not be surprised if they considered this “acceptable”.
What’s sad is that conditions require no skills to be applied and to be effective (you don’t have to hit or crit, you just spam keys until your foe is dead), and this is an aspect that I fail to see fitting for a “competitive gameplay”

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

So many cat fights going on in the forums today. Is everyone cranky on the ele forums?

To be honest people are just cranky in general. No one can have a decent, rational discussion without throwing insults and degrading the other person and their opinion. You know what I’m sayin’?

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Lol what a lame logic to consider burst cheesy. Must be coming from players that are too afraid to die easily and thus spec more towards defense than offense. Instead on relying in their players skills to survive more with fewer defense no they rely heavily in their traits, utilities and defensive stats. Being a punching bag is even more lame.

I consider fresh air burst to be cheesy, mostly because of how much using it disadvantages you in anything other than a prearranged 1v1, but also because it is a burst with a pretty big amount of instant damage.
Staff burst is better, because it has so many built in tools and requires a bit more effort to set up, while being less of a one-and-done build.

I consider builds that evolve around the arcana, water tree and on defensive stats to be cheesy too because they require no effort to stay alive even without dodging and predicting your opponent next move right. Any build disadvantages you on anything other than 1v1 against 2 or more GOOD players by yourself. Group/zerg it is easy and require a bit of thinking instead of mindlessly jumping in the front line to get hammered. Against bad players winning outnumbered (by yourself) is always possible regardless of what build you use.

You misunderstand me. By “anything other than a prearranged 1v1” I mean any situation where-

You are surprised.
Teamfights (because you take down one person, maybe, then immediately die or just have nothing left).

It’s a spec designed to win one 1v1 every 40+ seconds if you get the drop on the other guy, which is why it isn’t particularly amazing in any form of the game, but it will always win that 1v1 unless the other guy times a dodge.
That’s why I consider it cheesy. The enemy dodges once and you lose, if they outlive it you lose, if they don’t do either you win.

I did misinterpret your post. It varies greatly on the type of builds. There are glassy and non glassy burst builds. One can be melt back if the burst is endured or avoided while the other can withstand and retry until his oponente is down. Honestly aside
of a few full bĂșnker extremely high condition damage, constant stealth based mesmers, there hasn’t been any other bunker type I haven’t been able to defeat with my main burst build but still get defeated. There are also bunker constant healing encounters that never end until more players join in. Probably now it could be a different story. After the patch I sacrificed more defense to gain close to the amount of burst I had before. It’s too soon to conclude.The rotations can be predictable but you can also play with your opponent’s mind and have him waste a dodge or two before you even initialize the combos.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

As a staff player, a dev said staff ele got stronk. But there was nothing about staff in patch notes. I might be missing a batch of notes.

And you believed in that? Also where is that “staff ele will be OP” thread now? I still haven’t seen any “OP” staff ele.

Talking about fresh air – yes, it is cheesy. Not because of macroses or damage directionality, but because it relies solely on one feature – Teh Burst. Fresh air’s s/x arcana burst is pretty much instant and untelegraphed so it is very cheap but powerful move. You either hit with pressallthebuttons move and win or miss and lose. Basically this is a definition of “cheese” as it used in games.

Powerr never said it was OP, just that it was strong internally. Whether or not that is true depends on whether you were thinking dps or bunkering.

The thing I have notice is that a lot of elementalist are not really deviating from the usual and so we can’t say if there is a strong build without actually bothering to change what we are doing.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: kusanagi.3150

kusanagi.3150

Playing d/d only here, with that cough cough original build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fFAQJAoYhMMKc25wnBd0APAC5hv2JKQ5qJfC-TJxHwAJLDM4BAoZ/BAnAAA

I’m playing that kind of build in wvw since release. I do have tested other build but I think Evasive Arcana and the attunement “dance” fits really well with the d/d gameplay.

And now, in PvP, with Sigil of Battle/Energy, with Rune of Strengh, I am fairly happy. I mean, I have plenty of dodge, awesome might stacking, very good heal and decent conditon clean. I admit that some professions are probably better, but I don’t feel underpowered nor helpless against other.

I hate condi though.

Elementalist – Blood Legio [BL]

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Well celestial and divinity got a HUGE nerf but D/D got a little buff.

I guess it’s another way for anet to show how they don’t care about fixing the staff and focus issues. And that you got to play the class their way.

generally however the ele got nerfed, because we have to use strength runes and more points in fire/air to do the same damage, we get less defence.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

P Fun Daddy.1208

You are surprised.

I did misinterpret your post. It varies greatly on the type of builds. There are glassy and non glassy burst builds. One can be melt back if the burst is endured or avoided while the other can withstand and retry until his oponente is down. Honestly aside
of a few full bĂșnker extremely high condition damage, constant stealth based mesmers, there hasn’t been any other bunker type I haven’t been able to defeat with my main burst build but still get defeated. There are also bunker constant healing encounters that never end until more players join in. Probably now it could be a different story. After the patch I sacrificed more defense to gain close to the amount of burst I had before. It’s too soon to conclude.The rotations can be predictable but you can also play with your opponent’s mind and have him waste a dodge or two before you even initialize the combos.

Yeah, I was more referring to the one build that people complain about (for various reasons, I have even seen it called OP), that can do upwards of 22k near-instant damage, not fresh air in general. That doesn’t seem to be what you use.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zephyrus.9680

Zephyrus.9680

Well coming back from a 4-5 month break I’m seeing better results in sPvP with d/d and overall weaker in WvW with staff due to the massive hit in crit damage. But I can’t say for sure since it seems sPvP is flooded really really bad players.

Zefyres – Ele | Maguuma | (ex) top100 solo/teamQ casual | Youtube

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

P Fun Daddy.1208

Well coming back from a 4-5 month break I’m seeing better results in sPvP with d/d and overall weaker in WvW with staff due to the massive hit in crit damage. But I can’t say for sure since it seems sPvP is flooded really really bad players.

It is, I was able to survive ~25 seconds today against four players sitting in earth with stone heart, two cantrips, and earth shield. Never even switched attunements.

Almost OP they said

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

I didnt know where to post it so here it should do
If you animation cancel air auto on scepter right after the first damage tick which happens pretty fast you get the signet heal.If you cancel the auto faster it will go in the standard short cd and you ll know it cause you ll see a recharge on it appearing and you ll get no heal.
Also if you cancel ,slight before the cast ends air auto on dagger mainhand you lose the second hit of the autoattack BUT you get an incredibly higher attack rate which (not tested )yelds similar dps and many more signet procs (almost twice). It really means that if you los for a few seconds you can recover insanely good, or if you hammer someone on air .I dont know if its intended but i think it definately handy to know and no trivial at all as i thought earlier. It really is amazing if you get the timing rigt but its also affected latency