And then I got really sad

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loic.4367

Loic.4367

Yes, it’s another one of these threads. They’d probably stop if the feeling wasn’t so heartbreaking.

So I was running around Frostgorge Sound with my elementalist, like you do when you decide to ditch Orr altogether, fighting Dredge. Dredge often have ranged attacks and CC of all sorts, plus are immune to blind, so while I wasn’t dying I was ending each fight maybe around half health, even against a single mob.

As I’m about to take a break and log for a bit, I see a warrior walking down a tunnel towards me, and decide to just take a quick look at him to see how he was doing.

Dude walked up to a Dredge, Hundred Blades, one or two autoattacks, and the Dredge was dead. The warrior probably didn’t lose even an eighth of his health.

No risk. No worry. No slowing down. He just kept going, doing the same thing to every Dredge. I have to bust at least 7 cooldowns just to kill them, and if I stood still I’d be dead.

I don’t know what it is. When I’m playing my elementalist, I don’t feel weak. I handle most situations fairly well, I can do some pretty impressive stuff when I’m on top of things, and I’m usually confident enough to take on anything that isn’t a champion. It doesn’t feel like it’s a weak profession. But then, I see a warrior or a guardian or even a ranger walking around investing almost no effort whatsoever and finishing fights faster and with less risk than I ever could.

Every so often I have a spirit dampening moment like this while playing. I don’t know what’s wrong, but whatever it is, it sucks.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

Playing the Elementalist is like trying to sprint every time you want to get from point a to point b.

Want to go to the bathroom? Sprint.
Want a snack from the kitchen? Better Sprint.

If you don’t sprint as an Elementalist, you die and/or do no damage, likely both.

Eventually you get so tired of sprinting you roll another class just so you don’t have to press as many buttons in perfect order for an hour.

in Elementalist

Posted by: duszy.4612

duszy.4612

Or quite the opposite way – when you eventually get bored of pressing 2-3 keys on other classes, you roll elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: wertyuio.8630

wertyuio.8630

i personally get bored walking up to things and pressing hundred blades over and over again. at least with an elementalist, i know i have to chain together the combos needed to not die, and it’s more eventful than “click on target, press 2. mash f. rinse and repeat.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kuthos.9623

Kuthos.9623

Or quite the opposite way – when you eventually get bored of pressing 2-3 keys on other classes, you roll elementalist

This.

I’m having a really hard time trying to level up an alt because other classes seem sooooo boring and dull after elementalist.

I started off warrior, got to 65 before I got sick of it. Went to elementalist and have never looked back.

in Elementalist

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

I’ve been playing engineer since I purchased the game, and just recently started playing an elementalist. They have a lot of in common really… high utility/support capable and versatility, with a sincere inability to finish any fight without playing keyboard piano. I would often become aggravated when I would hit an area where there are 3 or 4 mobs, usually in a tight corridor, that turns into an intense fight for my life… i know I can win…. eventually…. but often it takes so long to take them down that the first of them I picked off start respawning and joining the fight as the last of them are going down. Throw in a veteran or two and it can quickly turn into the eternal battleground….

And then….

A warrior walks through… pushes three buttons and downs them all on his way to casually mine an ore node.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nepumuk.6071

Nepumuk.6071

It would be nice if there was a few strong solo PvE builds, which bring the Ele closer to other classes, of course without overpowering it in PvP. The solution should not be trying to ignore how fast other classes can kill mobs.

I think it was Jon Peters who mentioned during beta, that Ele is the hardest class to balance. So I guess changes will only happen very slow.

in Elementalist

Posted by: suroktheslayer.9346

suroktheslayer.9346

Yes you can plod along and kill mobs one by one faster on a warrior but as an elementalist you can gather up 5 or more and aoe all of them down at the same time. Personnely I prefer the ele method.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

I really think that the other classes are missing out on an amazing aspect of the game by being so bloody easy. First leveled my Ele to 80 and in between levelling my Mesmer to 30 and Ranger to 35 I leveled my Guardian to 80 using a defensive spec and even geared for toughness/power/healing I blew through everything kitten fast.

Even though I no longer actively play (Dark Souls ftw) and am waiting for our huge bug list to be addressed I’m of the opinion that other classes should be down balanced to the Elementalist’s level so that everyone can enjoy the heart pounding action and skill required to beat the odds.

Not only would that give people some sense of achievement but it would also lengthen the amount of time it takes to reach level cap.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Yes you can plod along and kill mobs one by one faster on a warrior but as an elementalist you can gather up 5 or more and aoe all of them down at the same time. Personnely I prefer the ele method.

This.

Come on people, it´s not that hard.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Had the same feeling, rolled a warrior, played it for a couple of levels, then realized I would be stuck with 5-10 skills throughout the game.

Promptly returned to my Elementalist. It really is the only class with any long-term variety when you think about it. What this game needs is dozens and dozens of “flavor” skills per class/weapon that you can slot in your 1-5 set, just like with utility. Or every class should have stance-dancing like elementalists have. Hell, with a thief I at least had to keep moving. Warriors just feel so kitten static to me.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Elementalist

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

World PvE is mind numbing easy. I don’t know why this is such a gripe. I can faceroll it on any of my toons, including Elementalist.

WvW, sPvP, and dungeons are where your build actually starts to matter. Dynamic events are so simple as to not even be worth complaining about.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

The thing is….sigh. Maybe I am getting this wrong but is this a staff vs D/D thing? I literally walked into a supply point with 4 vets 2 were ranged and took it solo. Were there some close calls? Yes! The funny thing is I saw another D/D ele do it the other day. So I never understand these ele is so hard to survive with threads.

OP was in FS the dredge camp. For example I strolled in there fought like one or 2 mobs(ran in solely for the veins), just out ran the area, and walked out fresh as daisies. We can kill 8-10 regular mobs at a time while kiting. A warrior with a glass cannon build can’t really do that because they don’t have that sort of aoe.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

(edited by TheGuy.3568)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kietay.2345

Kietay.2345

Exotic gear, d/d with defensive and arcane traits, all around armor. Can do any PvE in the game nearly as easy as any other class and have a lot more fun while doing it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nyth.3492

Nyth.3492

Like others mentioned it’s a playstyle difference.

The hundred blade one shotting of things works well, but it’s extremely mindnumbing. I prefer the ele way of seeing big explosions of fire, rock and lightning everywhere.

The ele also has IMO more options than a lot of other classes. We can build glass cannony and go with single target burst. Or we can build a bit beefier with glyph of storms (aoe blind ftw) and group up some mobs for AoE.

I still think they need to balance things even for solo pve content. It’s not an area where the balance is key, but certain aspects could use a review.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fidjit.4162

Fidjit.4162

Sometimes I envy Warriors, but then I go and play mine. It only takes a few minutes of auto-attacking and hundred blades for me to be terribly bored.

Ele is of course not perfect, and I do get frustrated sometimes, but I enjoy pressing a lot of buttons and dancing around my targets.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

I don’t think anyone is saying world PvE is hard. I run around with a full glass cannon build and swap back and forth between D/D and staff on a whim, and I usually don’t have any problems.

What the thread is about, and something I agree with completely, is that the Ele is fun to play and feels nice and balanced… until you see another profession show up and demonstrate just how much more powerful they are.

Once we get some of our more glaring bugs fixed, I’m not sure if we need buffs or if it’s just that the other professions need nerfs, though I lean much more towards the latter end. If they had more of a challenge, they’d stop being so boring to play.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

There is an answer to this. Make every other class have 4 weapon sets to swap to at all times, making comboing necissary, giving 1 weapon set gobs of fields (two handed weapons maybe) and the others tons of finishers, maybe giving each set a focus on a specific finisher type (like ranger with bow is projectile) Make every other class as dependant on switching/combing weapons as elementalist is with switching /combing elements.

It feels like it should have been this way all along, maybe the developers again thought it would be too hard and decided to dumb it down? shrug seems like they like doing that if you ask me.

(edited by Efaicia.3672)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

Not to put a damper on the complain fest here…but I actually solo’d the mad king with my D/D elementalist. He killed me four times, but ONLY because he feared me off the ledge. He never once killed me due to damage.

So I honestly don’t think elementalists have these crippling problems in PvE. I DO think that only certain specs work very well for them however at the current state of the game.

My I ask how you guys that are having trouble are specced/geared?

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jin Saotome.5320

Jin Saotome.5320

I’ve been playing engineer since I purchased the game, and just recently started playing an elementalist. They have a lot of in common really… high utility/support capable and versatility, with a sincere inability to finish any fight without playing keyboard piano. I would often become aggravated when I would hit an area where there are 3 or 4 mobs, usually in a tight corridor, that turns into an intense fight for my life… i know I can win…. eventually…. but often it takes so long to take them down that the first of them I picked off start respawning and joining the fight as the last of them are going down. Throw in a veteran or two and it can quickly turn into the eternal battleground….

And then….

A warrior walks through… pushes three buttons and downs them all on his way to casually mine an ore node.

Engineers playing the piano to kill stuff? Certainly not in GW2 (unless you reaaaaaaally wanted to). Bomb Kit and Grenade kit is basically spam 1 and drop multiple mobs at once (specially true when you get grenadier) with ease on top of having perma vigor and swiftness. Even elixir gun gives you a move set which makes you almost impossible to kill while pretty much staying out of range of many strong attacks the majority of the time.

One by one? Why would you even do that? Axe and greatsword attacks are (mostly) AoE so you can just get multiple mobs and shred them at all the same time with no issue at all.

in Elementalist

Efaicia.3672

@Creslin I dont see people complaining that their class is too hard or not functioning properly, I see people complaining that they are bored with other classes because they are not as interesting as the Elementalist. Where the Elementalist feels powerful and interesting, other classes feel oversimplified and overpowered.

I tend to agree with them.

in Elementalist

bluewanders.5297

I never said anything was hard… I said it takes a long time to accomplish the same tasks. I am thoroughly enjoying my elementalist, and have made it my new main over my engineer… but I am still learning. I’ve only been playing an ele for a week… and I’m only level 40. Hell… I still haven’t caught up on the bug list (coming from an engineer the bugs over here don’t seem half as crippling at times, but that probably has more to do with me not being optimal on my ele and not being in the “harder” sections of the game yet, as well as having unlocked few trait points.)

What I said was I get aggravated when there are times that I am placed in stark contrast to others who get more/better results with a lot less work. I team up to do map completions with a buddy who runs a warrior… and it gets aggravating to be told I suck because it takes me longer to kill things in more complicated ways. Even though I thoroughly enjoy it…

I also don’t think the guy realizes just how much he benefits from my presence on both characters I’m constantly laying down fields and finishing them around him. I think he has never really needed to learn anything about game mechanics like combo fields as a warrior. He constantly says things like “I can’t believe how much damage I was doing to that champ! I didn’t even need you back there… I didn’t even have to heal. You do provide a little extra dps that helps get me through the bigger fights, though.”

Yeah dude… you were awesome back there.

I know you didn’t notice all my fields… or how closely I monitor your health… I know you have no idea where that fire aura came from, or those extra stacks of might… or the retaliation when things start getting hairy… and that’s all ok, play like you want to… just stop telling me that I suck when it takes me more than 20 seconds to kill something.

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

@Efaicia:

I really think the OP was about how a warrior was far more efficient at killing MOBs than the OP’s Ele, and how the OP was upset about this fact. So it is basically a complaint that Ele’s are underpowered in PvE.

For what it’s worth though, I basically agree with what you say. It is hard for me to play non-Ele classes because none of them seem to be as fun. In fact, with my Ele, it hard for me to play anything but D/D because I find everything else fairly boring.

[Envy], [Moon]

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

I never said anything was hard… I said it takes a long time to accomplish the same tasks. I am thoroughly enjoying my elementalist, and have made it my new main over my engineer… but I am still learning. I’ve only been playing an ele for a week… and I’m only level 40. Hell… I still haven’t caught up on the bug list (coming from an engineer the bugs over here don’t seem half as crippling at times, but that probably has more to do with me not being optimal on my ele and not being in the “harder” sections of the game yet, as well as having unlocked few trait points.)

What I said was I get aggravated when there are times that I am placed in stark contrast to others who get more/better results with a lot less work. I team up to do map completions with a buddy who runs a warrior… and it gets aggravating to be told I suck because it takes me longer to kill things in more complicated ways. Even though I thoroughly enjoy it…

I also don’t think the guy realizes just how much he benefits from my presence on both characters I’m constantly laying down fields and finishing them around him. I think he has never really needed to learn anything about game mechanics like combo fields as a warrior. He constantly says things like “I can’t believe how much damage I was doing to that champ! I didn’t even need you back there… I didn’t even have to heal. You do provide a little extra dps that helps get me through the bigger fights, though.”

Yeah dude… you were awesome back there.

I know you didn’t notice all my fields… or how closely I monitor your health… I know you have no idea where that fire aura came from, or those extra stacks of might… or the retaliation when things start getting hairy… and that’s all ok, play like you want to… just stop telling me that I suck when it takes me more than 20 seconds to kill something.

Really sounds like the warrior is just dense lol.

If he wants to believe that those 15 stacks of might he got from your finishers are all “his” doing, then that’s his own egocentric nature. I wouldn’t let yourself get aggravated by him.

[Envy], [Moon]

in Elementalist

bluewanders.5297

Engineers playing the piano to kill stuff? Certainly not in GW2 (unless you reaaaaaaally wanted to). Bomb Kit and Grenade kit is basically spam 1 and drop multiple mobs at once (specially true when you get grenadier) with ease on top of having perma vigor and swiftness. Even elixir gun gives you a move set which makes you almost impossible to kill while pretty much staying out of range of many strong attacks the majority of the time.

I don’t like grenades… I enjoy being mobile and relying on toolbelt and gadgets with pistol and shield specced for condition damage. I very much play piano. I used to use bomb kit but only for fields they provide (still do sometimes) I run a mix of kits and elixer these days… it’s more complicated but a lot more fun. “Spam” anything is a complete turnoff to me… and I consider it to be the lowest common denominator in base gameplay. Elixer gun isn’t something you use on crowds of mobs… but it is absolute beast on veterans and champs… and I always carry it. But this isn’t the engineer forum…

in Elementalist

Posted by: blackgoat.5172

blackgoat.5172

I’m rolling an ele as an alt. Currently only lvl 30 but I LOVE it. My main is a Thief p/d condition build (I refuse to play easy mode BS build) I love my thief but since I started my ele I haven’t touched him. It was rough at first because I had this idea of a staff ele and it wasn’t working out the way I thought it would. I checked the forums and watched some videos, learned what I was doing wrong and now I’m running a DD ele popping around all attunements and slaughtering everything in my path. It fits my play style perfectly and i can’t wait to master this style and see what I’m really capable of. I still keep a staff for certain situations but DD has made me look at this class in a very different light

Káge – 80 Thief / Asháman – 80 Elementalist
Project Mayhem A multigaming, PVx social guild on Dragonbrand
Dragonbrand Community Forums

in Elementalist

Posted by: shaolinwind.6932

shaolinwind.6932

I can’t wait for them to actually fix the Ele, and then all of us who have suffered so long will become GODS due to the sheer effort we’ve had to put forth just to survive…

:D

in Elementalist

Posted by: oflow.2157

oflow.2157

which is why it probably wont really get ‘fixed’.

in Elementalist

Posted by: shaolinwind.6932

shaolinwind.6932

Have you seen this thread? https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/elementalist/NEW-Elementalist-bugs-and-glitches-thread

Ele is literally broken, in every sense of the word right now. The only thing they can do is ‘fix’ us.

in Elementalist

Efaicia.3672

@Efaicia:

I really think the OP was about how a warrior was far more efficient at killing MOBs than the OP’s Ele, and how the OP was upset about this fact. So it is basically a complaint that Ele’s are underpowered in PvE.

For what it’s worth though, I basically agree with what you say. It is hard for me to play non-Ele classes because none of them seem to be as fun. In fact, with my Ele, it hard for me to play anything but D/D because I find everything else fairly boring.

I did not read it the same as you, evidently. I read it as “This class is fun, why are the others so boring and easy and coddled by the game?”
Then again, I feel pretty much that other classes ignore the games major mechanics too much, I really think they need to be fixed and brought in line. Why them and not us? Because running in this game without using the mechanics provided for cc/support and healing would be like running in wow without a tank/healer. They are broken and oversimplified and it should be corrected. That’s just my opinion though. However, it is the entire reason people raged for so long and so hard about dungeons, once the mechanics were explained (normaly by an elementalist) a light bulb went on for them, I still struggle with some classes, they are just clueless, and that is why they are clueless, because their class doesnt need/want/care about mechanics.

(edited by Efaicia.3672)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asraishalo.8601

Asraishalo.8601

This. I rerolled to an elementalist for that exact reason. It is the only class that hasn’t become boring to me over time.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Norb.4253

Norb.4253

Took a warrior to 80 first, really enjoyed it. Tried out Dagger/Dagger and haven’t looked back. I can do everything my warrior was doing, and more, and have more fun doing it! There hasn’t been any situation in PvE or PvP (W3) where I wish that I was on my warrior or another class – yet when I play alts I’ll often find myself wishing I was on my elementalist!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

This.

Come on people, it´s not that hard.

A mob is a group of monsters/people/etc.. I don’t think I ever saw five mobs close to each other in GW2. Maybe people are mistaken the word mob for a single being, and mobs for a group. Just saying, since I have seen this other places as well.

in Elementalist

Loic.4367

Malcastus, just wanted to throw this your way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_

And while it’s a bit irrelevant to the discussion, I just wanted to clear up what my point was in the OP. I was expressing the feeling that, compared to other professions, the elementalist seems to have a distinct numerical disadvantage. I’m not sure if the others need toning down, or if the elementalist needs tuning up, but something is wonky.

And again for clarification, I enjoy my elementalist. I like the playstyle, demanding as it may be. However, it just feels like I do less over a longer period than other professions, and I’m constantly seeing evidence confirming that suspicion.

One thing I keep hearing is, “Other professions are boring! I don’t want to faceroll content.” Fair enough, I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that elementalist be given a skill like Hundred Blades or Rapid Shot. But what seems to be at work here is, again, a distinct numerical disadvantage. If numbers were tweaked, it wouldn’t affect the way elementalists are played, it’d simply mean that that effort would yield greater results.

If what you want is a character who simply does less than others at the same level, fine. Go play a warrior, unequip some armor pieces, and don’t spend all your trait points. Tada! Challenge!

in Elementalist

Efaicia.3672

@Loic Well, it seems I did misinterperate your OP. I think Ele’s are fine, we have a lot of broken stuff that needs fixing. The fact that we are extremly dependant on the mechanics where other classes can go all the way to 80 never understanding or even caring why they are seeing all those floating hearts is what is wrong. Not the Elementalists’ game play. I wonder how much thier damage would be if they had to stack themselves with buffs via combos before they did anything substantial, or how quickly they would kill then?

(edited by Efaicia.3672)

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

These responses make me want to beat my head against a wall. So I will keep this short. WE ARE THE STRONGEST CLASS IN PVE. What one single well played ele can do no one else can. I get it some builds are weak but others put everyone else to shame. Invest in P/V/T gear cleric jewelry or just learn more about game mechanics. For instance a knockdown is better than a blind, wind pet is an op monster, and aoe over single target always.

You really have 3 options see big pretty numbers, be useful wherever you go, or both.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

Malcastus, just wanted to throw this your way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_

And while it’s a bit irrelevant to the discussion, I just wanted to clear up what my point was in the OP. I was expressing the feeling that, compared to other professions, the elementalist seems to have a distinct numerical disadvantage. I’m not sure if the others need toning down, or if the elementalist needs tuning up, but something is wonky.

And again for clarification, I enjoy my elementalist. I like the playstyle, demanding as it may be. However, it just feels like I do less over a longer period than other professions, and I’m constantly seeing evidence confirming that suspicion.

One thing I keep hearing is, “Other professions are boring! I don’t want to faceroll content.” Fair enough, I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that elementalist be given a skill like Hundred Blades or Rapid Shot. But what seems to be at work here is, again, a distinct numerical disadvantage. If numbers were tweaked, it wouldn’t affect the way elementalists are played, it’d simply mean that that effort would yield greater results.

If what you want is a character who simply does less than others at the same level, fine. Go play a warrior, unequip some armor pieces, and don’t spend all your trait points. Tada! Challenge!

Warriors are seriously not as OP as you think they are. Yes, they can do a lot of burst damage with 100-blades. Yes, they are not that difficult to play effectively.

But it really ends there. I would really like to see a warrior solo the mad-king like I did with my Ele…I just don’t think it would be possible.

Ele (D/D) not only has very respectable damage, we also have INSANE healing capabilities, crowd control, mobility, and general utility. I can not only take a large group of mobs with my ele…I can emerge from the fight at near full health because of my crazy healing abilities…and it doesn’t even take that long. One jaunt through my attunements, and a whole group of mobs is dead.

The only thing we do not, and should not really have is the crazy front-loaded burst that thieves and warriors have. But that’s really okay. We have very good sustained DPS, AND the ability to fight essentially constantly because of all our heals.

I dunno about you, but I would much rather have all that then the ability to kill one or two dredges very quickly, and then have to wait for my CDs.

[Envy], [Moon]

in Elementalist

Loic.4367

@Efaicia Well, if what you’re suggesting is that elementalist players benefit from capitalizing on game mechanics, not specifically profession mechanics, wouldn’t the same skills one develops while playing an elementalist be equally beneficial when playing another profession? You even suggest in your last sentence that another profession using the same concepts would be even more potent than they are now, and frankly, this is something they are entirely capable of doing. So what is the advantage of being an elementalist and using these mechanics if everyone can do it, and do so more effectively?

@TheGuy What do you believe makes something “the strongest class in PvE”? What’s the criteria? What exactly is it that an elementalist can do that no one else can? And frankly, I find it to be extremely arrogant when I hear people on the elementalist forums suggest that any elementalist player, or any player for that matter, who gets to level 30 even hasn’t yet grasped necessary game and profession mechanics. Are you suggesting that people with max level characters still don’t understand combo fields, finishers, dodging, interrupts, and weapon swapping? Because I really hope not.

And while I’ll agree that knockdowns are better CC than blinds, I’d take four blinds over one knockdown any day.

@Creslin I don’t mean to harp on the warrior so much. I understand that they’re not incredibly beyond other professions, I’ve merely been using it as an example because, well, it’s a good example.

As for soloing the Mad King, I actually almost did that when I met him face-to-face on the bottom level and no one knew where we had gone. I might have actually done it if he hadn’t feared me off the level. But I’m not as sure as you are about that. And if not the warrior, I’m certain that if the elementalist is capable of soloing him, other professions are as well.

Frankly, some times I feel like a lot of this great healing and mobility stuff comes mostly from Elemental Attunement, which feels nothing short of necessary for any elementalist. Without it and Zephyr’s Boon, which again almost feels like a necessity for a D/D elementalist, I doubt I could do half the things I do. A lot of elements in the elementalist’s kit simply don’t feel especially useful on their own. Granted, most fights don’t take me much more than one cycle through my attunements, including utilities, but then I’ve got upwards of 40 seconds downtime.

Also, and I realize this’ll sound a bit jerky, but that last statement is a bit contradictory, since right before it you claim that elementalists don’t have the same burst capabilities as other professions.

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

@Efaicia Well, if what you’re suggesting is that elementalist players benefit from capitalizing on game mechanics, not specifically profession mechanics, wouldn’t the same skills one develops while playing an elementalist be equally beneficial when playing another profession? You even suggest in your last sentence that another profession using the same concepts would be even more potent than they are now, and frankly, this is something they are entirely capable of doing. So what is the advantage of being an elementalist and using these mechanics if everyone can do it, and do so more effectively?

@TheGuy What do you believe makes something “the strongest class in PvE”? What’s the criteria? What exactly is it that an elementalist can do that no one else can? And frankly, I find it to be extremely arrogant when I hear people on the elementalist forums suggest that any elementalist player, or any player for that matter, who gets to level 30 even hasn’t yet grasped necessary game and profession mechanics. Are you suggesting that people with max level characters still don’t understand combo fields, finishers, dodging, interrupts, and weapon swapping? Because I really hope not.

And while I’ll agree that knockdowns are better CC than blinds, I’d take four blinds over one knockdown any day.

@Creslin I don’t mean to harp on the warrior so much. I understand that they’re not incredibly beyond other professions, I’ve merely been using it as an example because, well, it’s a good example.

As for soloing the Mad King, I actually almost did that when I met him face-to-face on the bottom level and no one knew where we had gone. I might have actually done it if he hadn’t feared me off the level. But I’m not as sure as you are about that. And if not the warrior, I’m certain that if the elementalist is capable of soloing him, other professions are as well.

Frankly, some times I feel like a lot of this great healing and mobility stuff comes mostly from Elemental Attunement, which feels nothing short of necessary for any elementalist. Without it and Zephyr’s Boon, which again almost feels like a necessity for a D/D elementalist, I doubt I could do half the things I do. A lot of elements in the elementalist’s kit simply don’t feel especially useful on their own. Granted, most fights don’t take me much more than one cycle through my attunements, including utilities, but then I’ve got upwards of 40 seconds downtime.

Also, and I realize this’ll sound a bit jerky, but that last statement is a bit contradictory, since right before it you claim that elementalists don’t have the same burst capabilities as other professions.

What I mean is that you are not going to have the extreme high front-loaded burst like thieves and warriors have, but this doesn’t mean you will be slower in general PvE. Thieves and warriors will probably clobber a mob very fast, but after that, their major DPS abilities are on CD, or they are out of initiative. An Ele can pretty much just keep fighting indefinitely.

Also, for a thief or a warrior to have that crazy DPS, they have to be fairly close to glass cannon spec…which has its own problems.

Also, I’m not sure where you are getting the 40 seconds of downtime from? There are plenty of ele abilities that do very good damage and don’t have excessive cooldowns…and we have so many skills that you should never be at a point where all your good damage skills are on CD…the same cannot be said for most other classes.

[Envy], [Moon]

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

Yeah, I was just thinking of the normal use of mob. That games has turned it into something inrecognizable is just annoying. Better to say “one monster/whatever” and “one mob” though. It will be clear and people will have more understanding of the actual language beyond the gaming world. I am not trying to be a dick or such, but I just fear that the internet language is quite silly at times.

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

Yeah, I was just thinking of the normal use of mob. That games has turned it into something inrecognizable is just annoying. Better to say “one monster/whatever” and “one mob” though. It will be clear and people will have more understanding of the actual language beyond the gaming world. I am not trying to be a dick or such, but I just fear that the internet language is quite silly at times.

mob is actually short for “mobile” and is a throwback from the old MUD days. It is used today to refer to basically a computer controlled enemy. I guess if you were to call say, an immobile boss a “mob” you would be incorrect.

[Envy], [Moon]

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob Yeah, I am going by the general meaning of the word, and was therefore confused what people meant. One mob (one being) sounds very wrong to me. It was wrong, until the gaming community probably overruled it. Just speculation the last part, but it seems logical. Antwayyyyy… sorry for distracting from the subject.

in Elementalist

Efaicia.3672

@Loic Compared to an Elementalist ..no ..other classes do not have the ability to combo with themselves to the extent that an elementalist does, because of the fact that they do not need to spend time stacking buffs to reach their maximum output, they kill faster and have more burst. They have very, very limited fields and finishers when you look at them, and so are not forced to the extent an elementalist is because we have access to them in such abundance, most only having access to maybe one field and a finisher to use in it by themselves, with everything else being a buff given with a specific ability. And you are right, if they were given the same ability to combo with themselves as an Elementalist they would be HUGELY overpowered, which is why our base damage is where it is and their is where it is. They need to nerf the base but make the same output attainable through comboing like the elementalist, and increase their weapon choices during combat to 4 instead of 2. Then everyone will understand what comboing is and why it is so important to the game.

The skill I developed in this game by starting with elementalist is very beneficial to me on other classes, this is why I can take my human ranger prancing through gobs and gobs of mobs and not even come close to dying, the same with my Necro i feel insanely overpowered and at the same time bored because..well..it is like taking the action of let’s say ..Defiler healing in early endgame EQ2, then suddenly you are a dps in WoW…that’s how extreme the difference is.