Anet's Elementalist Philosophy

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

@Jonathan Sharp
Ele•We see the elementalist as the king of versatility. The skill ceiling for the Ele is exceptional, as the ability to leverage all four attunements at the right time is crucial for understanding the elemetnalist. The Ele boasts some of the best team support and control abilities in the game, as well as some great area of effect damage.

To start with I have to say that this “philosophy” is quite different with what advertised initially..but still good enough for me, anyway moving forward let’s analysise our current situation.

Currently the new ele philosophy is almost totally reflected by a single set, -dagger/dagger-, we can create huge pressure thx to constant dmg+great control abilities, very unfortunately this is not true for other sets.

The staff completely lack strong CC, which guarantee an effective use of the many aoe present, long casting animations/huge delays and mediocre dmg force the staff ele in a static gameplay.
In the best cases scenarios you can keep away a single target and that require the use of every single “CC” skill you’ve got, because the duration is so short lived and the CD so long that unless you use all of them, your target will be in your face in no time and this is the problem.

Anet seems to have not realized yet that even in team based game, self-sufficiency for each class is fundamental, there is no front line/mid line and back line in this game so expecting the ele to easily sit in the back and spamm aoe is very wrong, that simply never happen against opponents of an IQ above 80 ( which I’m afraid is the 98% of the player base)

Let’s not forget that in other games, ranged caster deal great deals of pain from distance but that’s no true in this game where : mele>ranged in terms of dmg, therefore in GW2 you’re still considered a potential threat if left unchecked even though you don’t deal very huge dmg from distance and your CC skills are far too easily avoided.

I’d like Anet to really buffing staff and scepter as soon as possible, currently 8 eles out of 10 run a d/d set, staff/scepter force the user to strongly rely on the team to accomplish anything good, which means you’ll never gonna see many staff eles in sPvP as you can’t rely on a zerg for support…but in tPvP no much change, you still see d/d eles running all over the place.

Can we get any comment from the developers on the current state of the class? Any plans to buff staff/scepter or are they good enough for you?

in Elementalist

Posted by: theonewhoknocks.8641

theonewhoknocks.8641

I’ve gone for maximum damage on Staff and laid everything I’ve got onto Niflhel mid point from the high ground while there was a big teamfight going on. Only one who bothers to stand on point is the Guardian who completely outhealed/blocked me, rest of the enemies were just mobile burst who I can’t force to stand in lava font for more than a second and they just took out my team one by one. There’s just not enough reliable damage there. I would have been better off stacking condis as a Necro from up there. Or would have been much more help if I was a ridiculously tanky Guardian on the point, a ridiculously bursty Thief or a Warrior chasing down the enemys. There’s just no place for the “mage” in this game I’m afraid.

in Elementalist

Posted by: spacelion.9865

spacelion.9865

hmm well I agree with some of your points in that dagger/dagger is our most polished set right now. Staff could use more damage on some of it’s abilities.

With that said, aside from maybe upping the damage and speed on the auto-1s for staff, I feel that it is in a good place for what it is supposed to do (AOE/control). Scepter on the other hand needs a LOT of help.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

hmm well I agree with some of your points in that dagger/dagger is our most polished set right now. Staff could use more damage on some of it’s abilities.

With that said, aside from maybe upping the damage and speed on the auto-1s for staff, I feel that it is in a good place for what it is supposed to do (AOE/control). Scepter on the other hand needs a LOT of help.

The problem is you don’t even have any AOE/control, your CC skills are no threat:

1) Static field = require the target to actually hit the border -2s stun – 40s CD…very lame
2) Frozen ground = 5s duration – 5 chill – 40s CD ( the only one you can hit people reliably)
3) Unsteady ground = the most terrible one, 2s cripple -30s CD and people who just walk on the side…a waste of space, who the hell would just keep walking over and over on it? Only the most terrible player on the planet would do it
4) Gust and Shockwave = both require your target to have absolutely no clue of what he’s doing so he’ll face you straight at all times

I don’t see any AOE control, you simply “force” people to move away from a point for 3-4s and wait 40s+ after that doing very little for the team, of course you can go the full heal way and use one of your elements the 90% of times

in Elementalist

Posted by: IceTenacious.4126

IceTenacious.4126

Support staff ele is still viable

Hint: put down a water 5 and change to earth then dodge roll while in co

Sceptre focus is a very strong bunker build weapon set though people overlook it.

Dagger focus is a very strong offensive weapon set though people overlook it.

Dagger dagger is a mediocre weapon set and the burst can easily be evaded when played against good players.

Sceptre dagger is a good weapon set except it needs a minor change with fire 2s animation speed.

I hate how people on the forums get a say on class balancing when they can’t play their own class.

Icifyr from Anvil Rock signing out.

Ps: if anyone needs help with ele send me mail and I’m willing to help you out.

YouTube.com/icifyr to check out my recent video where nmy team beat PZ with triple ele, warrior and thief. (Prepatch)

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

Support staff ele is still viable

Hint: put down a water 5 and change to earth then dodge roll while in co

Sceptre focus is a very strong bunker build weapon set though people overlook it.

Dagger focus is a very strong offensive weapon set though people overlook it.

Dagger dagger is a mediocre weapon set and the burst can easily be evaded when played against good players.

Sceptre dagger is a good weapon set except it needs a minor change with fire 2s animation speed.

I hate how people on the forums get a say on class balancing when they can’t play their own class.

Icifyr from Anvil Rock signing out.

Ps: if anyone needs help with ele send me mail and I’m willing to help you out.

YouTube.com/icifyr to check out my recent video where nmy team beat PZ with triple ele, warrior and thief. (Prepatch)

It’s the other way around, you completely miss the point….

Not everybody want to be locked in a certain role for the whole duration of the match, given the lack of weapon swapping , each weapon set should be able to perform equally in every role.

People who keep insisting that staff is just for support really got no clue, for you guys an ele must sit in the back with dwayna runes equipped and forget about fire/air/earth attunements?

Furthermore…
dagger/focus as offensive weapon set?…no further discussion necessary

in Elementalist

Posted by: boozer.7815

boozer.7815

Agree. I think what’s important here is that Anet needs to sift through these whines/complaints at face value. Lots of people whining and complaining about something does not necessarily mean there is a problem, like with the case of the EA fix.

It is true though that Staff needs a lot of love, particularly in the Air line. Staff is also lacking in the trait lines. Cast speed/build times are definitely too slow. Flight times on our skills that have flight paths are also slow, like all our auto attacks save CL. I get that Staff is supposed to be AoE, and it is, kind of… Not really.. Huh?.. Exactly!

Staff is woefully short of finishers, and particularly blast finishers. All of our combo rotations begin with Eruption because of its build time and it is our only blast finisher aside from AW. It is simply too difficult to maintain Might/Fury without an Auramancer/Sigil setup. The only other way to do it is to start out with S/D, build might, then swap to staff to attack. Its rediculous and makes no sense in light of the fact that building Might/Fury and keeping it at high levels is so easy on all our other weapon sets. Its really far out of whack!

Auto Attacks – Very confused line. CL is OK for an auto attack and it could be our best, but Earth auto eclipses it by a longshot. FB is also not what it should be. For example, I have to stack up 18+ might just to get it to hit for 1k+ on a glass cannon build and that is just wrong for what is supposed to be our best DPS attunement. Water auto is what it is and I am fine with it.

Air Attunement – for staff this line is just lacking and makes no sense whatsoever.
1. CL is its best ability but only because its the only skill that actually makes sense.
2. Air 5 is a nice ability (when it works, which is rare) but beyond using it to get speed and chain off whirl and leap finishers, its not worth the time it takes to cast it.
3. Air 2 and 3 = worthless. Absolutely. Worthless!!

Water Attunement –
1. Water 2, Ice Spike. Does really nice damage. Stacks Vulnerability. Should be a finisher too. Don’t care what kind, but probably makes the most sense to be a blast finisher, kind of like DT.
2. Water 3, Geyser – What is the purpose of this? Seriously, what is the point of this tiny radius, short duration, small heal? Sure, its a Water field, but the radius and duration are so small that its near impossible to use it effectively. This one seriously needs some work. Something like increasing its radius by 150%, or increasing its duration to 15s in line with the Ranger healing field. Something…
3. Frozen Ground. This is, by far, the best combo field we have – Ice. Its also our ONLY Ice field!!! Why?!!.. A 40s CD… Why? Help me make some sense out of this mess Anet. Please!

Earth – No complaints. IMO, Earth is our best Staff line. Very well thought out and ever ability synergizes very well with pretty much everything else. My only complaint here is that Earth is the ONLY attunement that has an Aura!.. WHY!!!! I run Aura builds and this seriously hurts any auramancer build that runs Staff. I get a large variety of Aura’s in Daggers, so why do I only have access to a single Aura in Staff?

So there you go. Staff is hurting in at least 2 of its skill lines, and really has very few traits for specializing Staff other than blasting staff.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

When I play d/d there is no chance for a staff user on any profession to keep me away or completely lock me down and why it that?..maybe because my gap closers are not only more effective and easy to land but also got half the CD of gaps creator.

In this game mele got so much advantages over ranged, playing mele is so much more effective and immediate compared to ranged, there should be more balance between the two.

For people who try to change this into a matter of personal skill is really ridicolous….
I know how to get close to 1m swiftness, how to get frost armour, area healing, how to use all short lived CC…but all this won’t make the staff more effective than it is now.

A staff ele is less supportive than a staff guardian; less threatening than a necro wells spammer and less useful than a staff mesmer , the stacks of might count for jack in tPvP, by the time you reach XX stacks of might a wells necro will wipe out your entire team….and what will you do then with your XX stacks of might? Hoping to kill people with lava font and meteor storm?

in Elementalist

Posted by: KirinDave.6451

KirinDave.6451

So I am not going to comment on what anyone should do, my elementalist is only L30 and I’m still learning the class. But I will say what has happened to me.

In my L80 Engineer in WvW, (now defunct because ANet’s goal seems to be to make all engineers into cheap sidekicks) I one time worked with a pretty good staff Elementalist who, with some coordination with me, would absolutely destroy enemies. My goal as the engineer was to draw an enemy in (with magnet from toolkit, which since Nov has been a really amazing tool) into a caltrops field. I called out that I was doing this and the Elementalist, way far away, would basically drop a series of brutal damage attacks down and wipe anyone I could pull in. Between the Engineer CC and the focused damage this Ele could put out, I never saw anyone survive. The kill rate was 100% except for people specifically traited and skilled to overcome repetitive CC.

It got to the point where we were the ones doing thief hunting in roaming groups. I’d find them by being bait (one thing that engineers do well is die slowly even to burst) and drop them and even if they had a blind+stealth it wasn’t enough to actually escape before they were atomized in the AP+fire attacks. Even big bunker builds like the infinite guardians could only survive if they had their block up or had CC reactive traits and knew to get some kind of stability up fast so they could run. Teleports are sort of useless against that combo, you actually have to be able to ignore knockdowns and dazes.

I’ve never met another Elementalist that had the desire or ability to do that with me, but it was one of my most successful nights in WvW ever. I’ve tried to replicate it, because it was an exceptionally rewarding playstyle (I’ll hold ’em you hit ’em!) but have yet to find anyone willing to try it.

(edited by KirinDave.6451)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

The worst part about Anets change in viewing the elementalist, is that they might have given up on boosting us to become what they advertised. You can’t just put a new label on us now. You are now kings and queens of diversity, and best at aiding your team, while doing neat AoE damage.

Yes, we are diverse, have fine CC and great AoE (if traiting for high damage, thereby becoming extremely squishy). I won’t deny it. I love my elementalist, and picked a diverse build to utilize every aspect it has to offer. Mainly because I dislike making certain skills useless by going too defensive, or becoming someone that dies way too fast, in the neverending search for good damage output. You limit yourself greatly (I speak of PvP mainly, but use almost the same build in PvE).

Sure, you can’t have it all, and I understand that you need to sacrifice something to get that. But the payoff is just not there yet. I use D/D (and occasionally D/F), mainly because I fell in love with the fast paced playstyle a long time ago, and dislike the clunky and slow ways of the scepter (except the air line) and staff. I love certain aspects of the other weapons, but they have issues that needs fixed.

I get the feeling that they are now thinking that people who play bunkerish builds, have paved the road to what the elementalist is. And that is so wrong, for there should be better alternatives to that painfully boring playstyle. People found their way into the defensive builds (thereby almost saying goodbye to any offensive potential they could have had by doing so), because it was the best way to not get stomped into the ground, while getting to know the profession.

Now it is used by many, because the alternative can be frustrating, as we don’t have enough viable options, even if we have the most diverse profession.

I just hope they won’t give up on the class as it was initially advertised, because there is a lot of potential.

My wishes: Making staff more PvP viable, by giving it some needed mobilization and faster casting times. Rehaul the scepter and staff to remove the clunkiness, or just add a new weapon to our repetoire of weapons, thereby leaving the staff for the PvE role, which is appears to have been made for. Also, add a focus trait in the arcane bar that boosts your overall damage by X %, because you are severely limited by the lack of offensive spells.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

Btw, they should also change certain values of sigils, so they become twice as strong, when wielding a two-handed weapon (like 5% crit, being 10% with two-hander. It makes the two-handers slightly less appealing that they lack in that category). That goes for all professions :P. Doesn’t belong in this thread, sorry.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

I think it’s just ridicolous that an entire weapon set can only be used when in organized teams and suck hard whenever you’re alone.

People’s solution is always the same : " a teammate can snare targets for you"…so staff/scepter are good only for zerg/sneak attacks?

It’s ok for having more support oriented weapon sets, but from the moment that we can’t switch weapon sets, I’d like at the very least to defend myself and kill somebody 1vs1…but you’ll never be able to beat any decent player by playing a staff , slow casting animations-lack of strong CC-mediocre dmg make the staff a weapon more suited for PvE/WvWvW .

When looking at other professions I see more build diversification, I see warriors/guardian with hammer/mace/GS; engineers with grenade/rifle etc etc.
I believe only the necro is equal to the ele in terms of lack of viable builds/weapon sets.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The thing with the staff is that while individually the skills are subpar, combined they actually become quite decent. The skills are meant to be combined with either other players or yourself. That’s why the initial cast of fields is weak. An arrow shot through a fire field causes 320 or so extra damage, or chill with ice fields, or regen with healing fields.

And yes, they have long cooldowns. But if you swap attunements often enough, you’ll find they’re done with the cooldown by the time you get back to them.

I know this isn’t news to most people who post here. Yet reading some of the posts here, I feel like it is. What helped for me personally though, was Glyph of Elemental Power. Used in earth or water, it gives all your spells a chance to snare, which makes it easier to hit targets, which in turn have another chance to become snared. Walking through a churning earth just turned 2 seconds cripple into a 7 seconds cripple. Try it sometimes, and I think you’ll find it enchances the staff’s playstyle immensely.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

The thing with the staff is that while individually the skills are subpar, combined they actually become quite decent. The skills are meant to be combined with either other players or yourself. That’s why the initial cast of fields is weak. An arrow shot through a fire field causes 320 or so extra damage, or chill with ice fields, or regen with healing fields.

And yes, they have long cooldowns. But if you swap attunements often enough, you’ll find they’re done with the cooldown by the time you get back to them.

I know this isn’t news to most people who post here. Yet reading some of the posts here, I feel like it is. What helped for me personally though, was Glyph of Elemental Power. Used in earth or water, it gives all your spells a chance to snare, which makes it easier to hit targets, which in turn have another chance to become snared. Walking through a churning earth just turned 2 seconds cripple into a 7 seconds cripple. Try it sometimes, and I think you’ll find it enchances the staff’s playstyle immensely.

I have already stated that you won’t beat ever a decent player with a staff, no decent player will ever walk over ‘eruption’ ( no churning earth which is dagger OH earth 5).

Against a r40+ warrior/guardian/mesmer/thief for example you won’t survive long enough to cast another frozen ground, they can flipping teleport/leap at you every 10s or so and burst you down in a fraction of that time

You can try to combine all skills you want, but the profession above can eat 3/4 of your health in 2-3s by pressing 4 buttons maximum, you’re quickly pushed in defensive mode without any effective way to retaliate because your CC skills have long CD and are quite unrealiable, furthermore you lack strong single target skills

in Elementalist

KirinDave.6451

I have already stated that you won’t beat ever a decent player with a staff, no decent player will ever walk over ‘eruption’ ( no churning earth which is dagger OH earth 5).

Against a r40+ warrior/guardian/mesmer/thief for example you won’t survive long enough to cast another frozen ground, they can flipping teleport/leap at you every 10s or so and burst you down in a fraction of that time

Well there is this sort of implicit assumption that every elementalist weapon should be viable for every possible scenario. Everyone in sPvP at high rank is really good and they spec balance with high mobility. It seems natural the staff would be of limited use there.

Should every weapon be viable in every context? I don’t know.

in Elementalist

Posted by: AmagicalFishy.6935

AmagicalFishy.6935

I’d have to say no, KirinDave.

There is going to be a best combination of something, no matter what. When developers try to alter the game so everything is equally viable, you get a mess like League of Legends or something.

If there was a way to improve Staff such that it had its own positive sides over dagger, then so be it—but the idea of “Dagger has this, so staff should have it too!” isn’t a good one upon which to base a philosophy of mechanics.

I am a great, big monster and I will eat your whole family.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Galrond.5972

Galrond.5972

Elementalist just lacks a vialable range dps weapon.

Scepter is also too slow to hit enemies and you still have to use a dagger in the offhand. Welcome back to meele again.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Interpret Interrupt.3824

Interpret Interrupt.3824

And here I thought staff was for support…
Sounds like this thread is the equivalent of hey I want to play gs war and be a bunker.
Your staff build has a role, and playing the build out of context will make it seem weak of course.

K Pop
The Warrior, The Necro, The F1 Connoisseur
http://www.twitch.tv/interpretinterrupt

in Elementalist

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

Sounds like this thread is the equivalent of hey I want to play gs war and be a bunker.
Your staff build has a role, and playing the build out of context will make it seem weak of course.

Much of the elementalist weapons are able to be used in a wide array of build types. This is different from many other professions where the weapon often defines their build type.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

And what would be the role of a staff user? Moving behind a zerg to be effective?
Well professions like necromancer and mesmer bring way more to the table thx to boon removal/conditions bombs, dunno you but healing rain is barely useful in PvE let alone in PvP, 2 conditions removed on a 45s CD really -_-?…that’s awesome, this is the main reason why tPvP teams run with staff eles ..-_-

in Elementalist

Posted by: Voxel.6473

Voxel.6473

My opinion:

Elementalist are not the kings of versatility. They can not weapon swap during combat. A weapon set LOCKS them into a non-versatile play style. Anything an ele can do, all other classes can do, while weapon swapping during combat. What this means, is that all classes except the ele can be strong range and melee at the same time. The only thing an ele offers bit more over the other classes is AOE damage skills, and the ability to buff other classes. The other classes can do it too, just not as much.

For example: Thieves can mass heal their team while stealthing them. Eles can mass heal their team while removing conditions.

Staff needs a buff. Scepter needs a buff. D/D is mostly ok; but it is mainly LOCKED into melee playing.

The traits of other classes are self explanatory, and the outcome is expected. In comparison and opposed to other classes, Eles seem to heavily rely on gear sets, complex self buffing, and locked in play styles. I think ANET has allowed an ill-informed player base from previous MMOs to come in and dictate changes. They have mistaken the desire to make their product accessible, with something else. L2P can be fun. But this situation reminds me of another class, in another game. The realization… it’s not a L2P issue, it’s something else. It is clear ANET needs to make ELES more accessible to the ELE players. This is supposed to be a game with NO ROLE / Trinity. Every class has range and melee. Every class has CC and heals. Every class is supposed to be able to take care of themselves. Everything else is support from each other, when needed in large battles.

(edited by Voxel.6473)

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

I don’t think you guys kittenen understand. Do you think guardians can change weapon set to play bunker mid-game? NO. Can other classes? Most – no and they more then likely doing. Elementalists are the JACK OF ALL CLASSES. They can play every roll with different weapon sets.

Seriously you guys need to kittenen look at your traits and play your class properly. I mean yes ele is not the easiest class but if half of what you guys want are in the game then elementalists will be broken. Ok, this is the last time I will ever bother posting on the forums agains if you cannot listen.

Staff elementalist has two AoE heals and skills are for CC. Are you going to go against the weapon set to deal damage? That’s just ridiculous. If you want to play offensive classes switch your weapon sets and your mind set.

Here’s another hint for anyone who plays eles this is for people that play s/d:

Get the trait elemental surge and run arcane wave and blast. This is your basic rotation

Fire 4 3 1 5 2 switch to earth arcane finishers and knock down

WALLAH YOU HAVE kittenEN DAMAGE. – LEARN TO PLAY YOUR kittenEN CLASS.

Go devulge yourself in the traits and find out things you could incorporate into your build and play style. Right now elementalists are probably the second strongest 1v1 class after rangers but people just cannot play elementalists.

The above combo was only the tip of what could be achieved with s/d ele and elementalists in general.

Go experiment! for your own sake.

ps: for the guy that says omg eles are just meant to go into water earth and fire on a staff elementalist you don’ know how to play a staff elementalist..

in Elementalist

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

Staff is support if you spec for it, however that’s the only viable spec for our only ranged weapon, doesn’t it seems weird to you? Staff was able to do some dmg, until the EA was “fixed”, even if the usage of the EA basically eliminated the range purpose of the staff, it was fun and dynamic playstyle. Now, it’s gone and the new EA is good for D/D set and maybe for support staff (if you can anticipate the need for burst aoe heal, but guess what, that’s a support…)

If you spec for bunker, it sux, D/D is better, much more mobile and effective for this setup.

If you spec for dmg, you’re just meat on a stick, period. You don’t stand any chance against practically anyone, because you die probably before your first fireball lands, which is kinda sad

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

Staff is support if you spec for it, however that’s the only viable spec for our only ranged weapon, doesn’t it seems weird to you? Staff was able to do some dmg, until the EA was “fixed”, even if the usage of the EA basically eliminated the range purpose of the staff, it was fun and dynamic playstyle. Now, it’s gone and the new EA is good for D/D set and maybe for support staff (if you can anticipate the need for burst aoe heal, but guess what, that’s a support…)

If you spec for bunker, it sux, D/D is better, much more mobile and effective for this setup.

If you spec for dmg, you’re just meat on a stick, period. You don’t stand any chance against practically anyone, because you die probably before your first fireball lands, which is kinda sad

if you want to bunker play sceptre/focus. if you want to damage play d/d or s/d or s/f

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

if you want to bunker play sceptre/focus. if you want to damage play d/d or s/d or s/f

If I want ranged dmg, I should play Rifle warrior, right?

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

IceTenacious.4126

If I want ranged dmg, I should play Rifle warrior, right?

If you wanted ranged damage go play a different class, rifle warrior is obviously weak right now and it’s not even worth playing in any team composition. You’re analogy is wrong. Also, I don’t think GW2 should be a “OMG GUYS LETS SIT HERE AND AOE A POINT” even though Anet have necros spamming conditions on point.

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

If you wanted ranged damage go play a different class, rifle warrior is obviously weak right now and it’s not even worth playing in any team composition. You’re analogy is wrong. Also, I don’t think GW2 should be a “OMG GUYS LETS SIT HERE AND AOE A POINT” even though Anet have necros spamming conditions on point.

Why are you presuming that I’m talking strictly about PvP?
Also while you’re talking about analogy, what is right about forcing a caster class with the lowest HP and armor in the game to the melee role if the player decides to fill up the damage role? I’m yet to see any logic in this. Especially when I compare the original description of the class with the new “philosophy” thing on the forums here.
It seems like Anet recognized that they can’t fulfill the original description, so they changed it now, which doesn’t seem fair to the players imho…

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

And that’s exactly how you should use it. When I’m in trouble, I cast an eruption at my feet. The melee that are hacking at me, often kite away…which means eruption just prevented some damage. Add a geyser on top of it, and it suddenly became a major heal. So what if it didn’t deal damage? It just saved my life.

That’s an oversimplified assumption. A good defensive staff build can hold out through a burst. They were made for long fights, not bursts. You should be able to survive for at least 40 seconds unless you’re fighting 2v1 or worse (and even then, some of the better staff players do not seem to have trouble with that).

You don’t have to hit with each spell, you just gotta make sure you’re not going down and hit every so often, and eventually you’ll win through outhealing your opponent. That’s the staff’s strategy. It may not be perfect for 1v1, but there’s an area between ‘sucks totally’ and ‘is balanced’. Personally, I feel you sell the staff short by claiming it’s rubbish. However, I do agree it could use a small boost in overall power.

Elementalist are not the kings of versatility. They can not weapon swap during combat…what this means, is that all classes except the ele can be strong range and melee at the same time.

To be honest, Í don’t agree with this. The dagger has so many gap closers its melee range doesn’t matter except in jumping puzzles. The staff and scepter on the other hand, don’t become any weaker when used in melee compared to how they’re used at range.

To me, the difference between the weapons isn’t the range. that’s just another number for the elementalist. It may matter to other professions, but it doesn’t for the elementalist.

It seems like Anet recognized that they can’t fulfill the original description, so they changed it now, which doesn’t seem fair to the players imho…

What would you rather have, Anet trying to fulfill something they cannot do, or change philosophy so the game will be fun to play? I’m leaning towards the latter to be honest.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

(edited by ThiBash.5634)

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

What would you rather have, Anet trying to fulfill something they cannot do, or change philosophy so the game will be fun to play? I’m leaning towards the latter to be honest.

That’s the right question
I would like if they keep their word, however if it cannot be done (that sux, but happens), I would like them to tell the community what they are working to, in a concrete way, so ppl know what they can expect (are the working on the scepter/staff now, so those will be viable in the future? What changes are they planning to release? etc…). The Ele mechanic is greatly designed, however it has it’s problems (no weapon swap – which is understandable of course. But being forced to melee with a caster class, when you look at the weak sides – low armor and HP, doesn’t seem so fair). Of course it is an option, but ppl want other options too —→ long range play. Every class has it, so why Ele doesn’t?

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

I would like if they keep their word, however if it cannot be done (that sux, but happens), I would like them to tell the community what they are working to, in a concrete way, so ppl know what they can expect (are the working on the scepter/staff now, so those will be viable in the future? What changes are they planning to release? etc…). The Ele mechanic is greatly designed, however it has it’s problems (no weapon swap – which is understandable of course. But being forced to melee with a caster class, when you look at the weak sides – low armor and HP, doesn’t seem so fair). Of course it is an option, but ppl want other options too —-> long range play. Every class has it, so why Ele doesn’t?

You have some valid points, and it would be nice to be able to get some insights on what Anet has in store for us.

The problem with ‘rebalancing’ the staff as I see it, is that it’s pretty hard to determine how big the power gap between it and daggers truly is. Daggers are more powerful currently, I don’t deny that, but they’re also more popular. I’ve read on these very forums about some people (who are better players than me) getting pretty good results with the staff, even in sPvP. So it’ll be tough to separate the facts from the theory/popularity votes if you know what I mean. In principle (not saying it is), it could be that the staff is actually perfectly balanced compared to the daggers. But there’s arguably more information and discussions going on about highend dagger builds than there is about the staff. And then there’s the combo fields, that obviously get stronger the more players you have near you. So how does one go about balancing that?

But I agree with you, I do sometimes feel ‘forced’ to go melee. The daggers has so many flashy, but also useful tools. Almost everything it has is viable, and the different roles (fire damage, water healing, air speed/stun and earth bleeding) are lot better represented. Even when it’s just the auto attacks, none of the feels truly useless. With the staff…not so much, even though it’s still (in theory) a cool weapon.

Maybe if the staff was ‘increased in speed’ a bit, it would be more playable. Like for example, if all skills would activate 10% faster, projectiles fly 10% faster, eruption’d actiavte 10% faster, etc.

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

I would like if they keep their word, however if it cannot be done (that sux, but happens), I would like them to tell the community what they are working to, in a concrete way, so ppl know what they can expect (are the working on the scepter/staff now, so those will be viable in the future? What changes are they planning to release? etc…). The Ele mechanic is greatly designed, however it has it’s problems (no weapon swap – which is understandable of course. But being forced to melee with a caster class, when you look at the weak sides – low armor and HP, doesn’t seem so fair). Of course it is an option, but ppl want other options too —-> long range play. Every class has it, so why Ele doesn’t?

You have some valid points, and it would be nice to be able to get some insights on what Anet has in store for us.

The problem with ‘rebalancing’ the staff as I see it, is that it’s pretty hard to determine how big the power gap between it and daggers truly is. Daggers are more powerful currently, I don’t deny that, but they’re also more popular. I’ve read on these very forums about some people (who are better players than me) getting pretty good results with the staff, even in sPvP. So it’ll be tough to separate the facts from the theory/popularity votes if you know what I mean. In principle (not saying it is), it could be that the staff is actually perfectly balanced compared to the daggers. But there’s arguably more information and discussions going on about highend dagger builds than there is about the staff. And then there’s the combo fields, that obviously get stronger the more players you have near you. So how does one go about balancing that?

But I agree with you, I do sometimes feel ‘forced’ to go melee. The daggers has so many flashy, but also useful tools. Almost everything it has is viable, and the different roles (fire damage, water healing, air speed/stun and earth bleeding) are lot better represented. Even when it’s just the auto attacks, none of the feels truly useless. With the staff…not so much, even though it’s still (in theory) a cool weapon.

You’re right about the popularity, therefore problem with estimating the balance between D/D and Staff. I don’t doubt that Staff can be very good in the hands of a skilled player, but also the fact that ppl usually expect some other class when they see a Staff-wielder (mesmer, necro) often favors the Staff Ele player in the form of surprise (in PVP of course).
I’m also a huge fan of Staff, in fact I levelled my Ele with it, I didn’t care that it is slower/more difficult than with other weapon sets. But with recent changes, I was forced to start using D/D also, to be more of a benefit to my group (when the EA was cutted to 1/4 of efectiveness for staff wielders).
With that another annoying thing came out, the inability to fast-switch weapons/optional traits outside of combat, when I need to become a ranged in instances/WvW. That is quite annoying to cover my whole screen with hero tab, stop moving and just switch everything manually, which is delaying the whole group

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

Maybe if the staff was ‘increased in speed’ a bit, it would be more playable. Like for example, if all skills would activate 10% faster, projectiles fly 10% faster, eruption’d actiavte 10% faster, etc.

I believe that the huge nerf for staff came from one of the patches before the release (I don’t mean the damage scaling nerf), since that change was that all AOE ticking spells take some time (I think that it’s 1 sec) before tick for the first time (lava font, unstable earth, I think that even static field and frozen ground does this), which made those AOE spells even more unreliable than before this change. I was shocked by this, especially when I discovered that monster spells of this type (destroyers lava fonts, earth elementals unstable earth) still works the old way – first tick is instant as the spell is cast.

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

Really now? I did not know that. It’s an interesting thought…would ‘fixing’ that issue bring the staff up to speed?

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

Really now? I did not know that. It’s an interesting thought…would ‘fixing’ that issue bring the staff up to speed?

Surely it will help at least partially, because faster targets are often ignoring your fields completely, even if you cast them in their path. You can easily test this, just try to cast lava font on a static monster (so latency will not affect the position of it) and you will se that the first “tick” of dmg is applied after a while, then go to the location where are some mobs which cast this spell (embers or destroyers) and you will se that it hits you right as the monster cast it.
This seems quite unfair and it makes the long animation problem even bigger with the staff

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: kismet.5347

kismet.5347

You can try to combine all skills you want, but the profession above can eat 3/4 of your health in 2-3s by pressing 4 buttons maximum, you’re quickly pushed in defensive mode without any effective way to retaliate because your CC skills have long CD and are quite unrealiable, furthermore you lack strong single target skills

The last paragraph of Arheundels reply is very true. With staff no matter what you do in PvP melee will be right at your tail all the time.
But what caught my eye was the “you´re quickly pushed in defensive mode” part. With ele this is basicly true with every weapon combination. Even with D/D you have to actually kite melee or you will get slaughtered. That´s the playstyle and I´m OK with that, but it also complicates things alot.
Eg burning speed needing a bit distance to actually hit the pestering melee, or not to even mention fire grab. (honestly I miss like 75%)
So for me the only logical weapon set is S/D. You can do damage while kiting and buff your defense safely at a distance. After all the best defense is not to get hit
I love D/D but every time I go back to it I always have the nagging feeling when I die that I would´t have died if I would have ran with S/D and kept the distance.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Atomic Sharks.7250

Atomic Sharks.7250

When I play d/d there is no chance for a staff user on any profession to keep me away or completely lock me down and why it that?..maybe because my gap closers are not only more effective and easy to land but also got half the CD of gaps creator.

In this game mele got so much advantages over ranged, playing mele is so much more effective and immediate compared to ranged, there should be more balance between the two.

For people who try to change this into a matter of personal skill is really ridicolous….
I know how to get close to 1m swiftness, how to get frost armour, area healing, how to use all short lived CC…but all this won’t make the staff more effective than it is now.

A staff ele is less supportive than a staff guardian; less threatening than a necro wells spammer and less useful than a staff mesmer , the stacks of might count for jack in tPvP, by the time you reach XX stacks of might a wells necro will wipe out your entire team….and what will you do then with your XX stacks of might? Hoping to kill people with lava font and meteor storm?

technically not true with the necro wells, since i can out condition damage most necros with the build i use,(most because its hard to hit with eruption)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mek.2947

Mek.2947

I am by no means an expert at playing staff. I’m only level 41 and played d/d mostly. Back when I played my mesmer I remember a staff ele that was DESTROYING in sPvP. Basically whichever team had that elementalist would win the match. She just kept running around and laying down fields which basically made players decide between a hallway of death or running around the fields…which if they did that would never catch up to her.

One particular combo I saw, that I thought was effective was that she would run away and leave down Static field, after that Unsteady Ground followed by Eruption and then Lava Font. The thing I noticed about her is that she never stood still and always placed her fields between you and herself. Catching up to her was practically impossible and you were taking damage the whole time.

I was so impressed that the first time I did sPvP i tried out staff. I failed miserably. I don’t know what skills, traits, gear, etc she had. I wish she would pop up and make a staff guide the way darkphoenix made a d/d guide, because I think there is some great things you can do with staff in the hands of a skilled player. I’m not good at figuring things out on my own. …I have to rely on guides to teach me how to play well haha and there isn’t a tell all like darkphoenix’s d/d guide for staff users.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Use the “look behind” key when running forward, turns your camera behind you while you keep running forward, simple trick but very effective If you’re running D/D it’s great to “look behind” click to target then go into your RTL > Updraft rotation when the group chasing you turns back and one or two are left chasing, especially fun when a SB thief is trying to close the gap.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Love the explination of Ele’s…

but they forgot: Highest Survivability, Best Escapes, Completely cannot be CC’d, Best Healing, Best Boons, best Mobility in game with strong damage.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

but they forgot: Highest Survivability, Best Escapes, Completely cannot be CC’d, Best Healing, Best Boons, best Mobility in game with strong damage.

I know right? My build is 30/20/20/20/30 with berseker set, 3 cantrips,3 signets, glyph of elemental summon and tornado ( While I summon my fire elemental, I go tornado lol ^^)

in Elementalist

Amins.3710

^^ Don’t be mad because you haven’t figured out how.

Amins – Guardian

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

Same thing as ppl say about Thieves – Best burst + Best escape + shadowstepping all over the place + totally invisible and with ultra-healing.
Same trolls everywhere….
But I like my 30/30/30/30/30 build too, enjoying it so much

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: Areann.1304

Areann.1304

My focus lies in dungeons and there the staff is amazing. When fighting a pack of mobs my screen is filled with damage numbers in 2000-3000 range, that hit five to ten targets. Even in boss fights I make good use of my staff. You can learn to tell when and where to cast an AoE field so that it hits.

My gear is 2/3 knight and 1/3 berserker with traits 0/10/0/30/30. I rotate through my attunements and get constantly might (at least ten stacks), regeneration, protection, swiftness, vigor and fury because my boon duration is buffed up with 90% longer duration. Each boon gives 2% extra damage and I do 10% extra damage when health is over 90%.

And you can get a lot of effect out of the combo fields. I once did a run in HotW with four guardians that used their hammer at my request. They had a blast finisher on a five seconds cooldown. Area Might/Healing/Frost Armor/Retaliation all around. They went toe to toe with bosses where the strategy is usually ‘no melee ever’ and their health rarely dropped below 50% . I stood behind, just at the edge where my elemental attunement boons would effect them. Wich was easy to do since all the fights where completely stationary. Although a PUG, it was the easiest and fastest run any of us ever had.

SPvP is a whole other story though, hardly any of the staff’s fields have any effect. I just can’t get DPS to work with a staff in sPvP. But I can be the team’s bunker in tournement.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Highest survivability: Guardian
Best escapes: Thief
Completely cannot CCed: a) lulwot? b) Guardian (SYG), Ranger (Rampage as One)
Best Healing: Guardian
Best Boons: Guardian, tied with Ele
Best Mobility: Thief

WTF are you talking about?

in Elementalist

STRanger.5120

Highest survivability: Guardian
Best escapes: Thief
Completely cannot CCed: a) lulwot? b) Guardian (SYG), Ranger (Rampage as One)
Best Healing: Guardian
Best Boons: Guardian, tied with Ele
Best Mobility: Thief

WTF are you talking about?

Totally agree with you, I was like “lulwot?” when reading that post too….
Only one little correction, D/D ele beats Thief in the terms of mobility (if you mean distance/time ratio), combat mobility is somewhat the matter of skill I suppose.

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Amins.3710

Amins – Guardian

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

This is SPVP FORUM no the WvWvW forum…learn to differentiate between the tags of the forums

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gondram.8365

Gondram.8365

This is SPVP FORUM no the WvWvW forum…learn to differentiate between the tags of the forums

This is the “Elementalist” forum… not sPvP OR WvWvW…

Gondram – D/D Aurashare Elementalist
Kinsman Redeemer – Hammer/Shout Warrior
Proud Member of Opposition – Jade Quarry Oldtimer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Gear wins in WVWVW not class. So gtfo.

in Elementalist

KirinDave.6451

Gear wins in WVWVW not class. So gtfo.

Wrong. Coordinating wins in WvW, not gear or class. A group of upleveled L50s in greens can beat a team in exotics if they’re organized and their opponents are not.