Any point to playing tempest?...

in Elementalist

Posted by: Irokou.3215

Irokou.3215

I remember elementalists as being the primary providers of might and fury some time ago…now of course warriors and heralds give all the might/fury you could want. This elite spec falls short of many others when all is said and done. What can this class offer other than just damage? From the raid beta, we could see that mobile targets are not good for doing dps with this class. Time to reroll.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

This is just me, but I’ve found the tempest helps me survive in the jungle, with no change of gear. That is, the tempest traits, the horn and the shouts just seem suited to the jungle environment. Between the overloads and the horn, it’s like having staff aoe but aoe that moves. It’s early days yet, but it seems like you can do decent dps on mobile targets too. In the end, though, it’s all down to your particular playstyle and whether it’s enjoyable to you or not.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

I dunno… I find the tempest fun. It may not be as overall useful as say a rev, but it feels a bit more interactive. I like Rev, but to play optimally you kinda just snooze spamming sword 1 in Glint until energy dies, then swap to Shiro and pop impossible odds to then……. spam sword 1 again.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Having fun? You know, the main point of doing something?

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in Elementalist

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

See, that’s my problem. I don’t really like Tempest since you are forced to stay into attunement waiting for Overload and you have to spend that time autoattacking. Also, while Overloading you just wait there and hope something bad doesn’t happen, like you having to dodge something important… I enjoy a quick paced style, so old school s/d fresh air is so much fun to me. Too bad fresh air scepter currently sucks. That’s just my opinion tho.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

i have fun with tempest but i agree not being able to dodge is the most anoying thing on overloads …. At least for me. I can stand the 5sec (it ruins water overload but whatever ..) and the 20sec cooldown but the dodge WAAA …

in Elementalist

Posted by: Humblekain.5418

Humblekain.5418

+1

It’s also not an ineffective class. It is certainly not perfect either but suffice it to say, Tempest is fun and therefore worth playing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: savacli.8172

savacli.8172

At first glance, Tempest got a giant MEH from me since it didn’t look all that great. However, after digging around I found that Tempest has some really great synergy with existing trait lines especially when it comes to Aura synergy.

Auras apply Fury and Swiftness….and Protection…and Regen….and Vigor…Oh. My. Glob.

Overall, I found that Tempest made for a great support character while still being versatile. They do require a bit more invest than, say, a Druid who does exceptionally well in Healing even with little to no investment in stats/traits.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I switched to Reaper in everything else than WvW/GvG and I don’t regret it one bit. Yeah PvE ele can be used simply because the AI is really bad.

For PvP I find ele is in a very bad position right now, anything else than bunker dagger/something is literally unplayable because of the lack of class balancing and rushed Tempest elite spec.

I mean there is a limit to getting hit by a 13k cleave on a 3 second cooldown from an heavy class with better armor and health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I switched to Reaper in everything else than WvW/GvG and I don’t regret it one bit. Yeah PvE ele can be used simply because the AI is really bad.

For PvP I find ele is in a very bad position right now, anything else than bunker dagger/something is literally unplayable because of the lack of class balancing and rushed Tempest elite spec.

I mean there is a limit to getting hit by a 13k cleave on a 3 second cooldown from an heavy class with better armor and health.

So did I, sort of. Played rev, now I’m enjoying Reaper in pvp a lot. I just can’t get my head around playing Tempest. I’ve tried several times, but it’s just not fun anymore and the reasons why I played ele for such a long time are gone with tempest.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Drayos.8759

Drayos.8759

tbh i’ve been trying out D/D Tempest builds with alot less support and found it pretty strong abit more squishy then the current Tempest in Metabattle but its alot of fun

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Tempest is a dps spec not support spec in my opinion.
We can now let Herald do all the buffing and we nuke the bosses as hard as possible with overload + staff :P

Purpose? Triple Trouble and Tengle Depth Meta would fail without some number of Tempests. I think this alone pretty much suffice, because most of the other classes do not have a purpose in PVE because anything works in PVE outdoor. (not including tough Meta events)

(edited by Aomine.5012)

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Well people on top pvp teams are making it work really well in 2-point teamfight oriented comps. That being said, while I do overall like Tempest, I have found it to be boring compared to chronomancer/reaper.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

I play with with a Dragonhunter and Chronomancer friend. Tempest is a joke compared to those elites.

I have fun with it in HoT content, but I would never use outside of there or for anything “serious”

in Elementalist

Aomine.5012

I play with with a Dragonhunter and Chronomancer friend. Tempest is a joke compared to those elites.

I have fun with it in HoT content, but I would never use outside of there or for anything “serious”

Have you really tried any of the other Elite spec?

DH is good and all, but his traps are still weaker than your AOE potential.

Chronomancer STRUGGLE in jungle when roaming, and the killing speed is a joke compare to Tempest. Honestly I tried all 9 specialization in HoT and find that Chronomencer is still mesmer. Killing speed is always the slowest compare to the rest of the classes, (note that I’m full zerk) especially against a large group of foes. Wells have very good CC potential, but the damage is still way lower than Necro’s Wells, DH’s traps, and ofc Ele’s overload. Survival capability is about the same though. Both of them are still kinda squishy in jungle.

In fact it’s really hard for ANY class can out damage tempest, especially against a large group of enemies.

Btw, define “serious content”. Tempest will always be the best class to choose against hard stationary world boss like Chak Gerent/ Triple Trouble. In speed dungeon run when your teammates can cover you and help you sustain mights, you can safely do all the AOE rotatition and kill everything in light speed.

So what is this “serious contents” to you? What perspective are you using?
PVP? WvW?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

Wel… after being mad at anet for making Tempest, not so tempesty… I made an Scrapper… LOVE the Scrapper… BUT I started hearing voices in my head saying : “You abandoned me. Don’t you love me? Who is going to make the Tempest meta if you take anet’s anger on me?”

That voice was from my Tempest (btw, I’m not actually hearing voices, but my conscience is the worst).

Anyhow, Tempest is awesome in PvE; Earth/Air/Tempest survives almost everything.

I did not like it at first in PvP… But I notices I was playing with a build that looked like the ele meta…

I have been kicking kitten with the following build in PvP:
-Celestial
-Dagger/WH
-Water, Ice, Earth and Elite shouts.
-Armor of Earth

-Earth 3(aura)/3(cd red and cc red time)/3 (crit nullification on earth)
-Air 1(aura)/3(aura on interrupt)/3(weakness and extra dmg on interrupts)
-Tempest 3(extra dmg and aura)/2(aura)/3(heal on aura)

So far the 3 abilities I’m not happy with are:
-WH Fire 4.
-WH Air 5 (it should follow target because it is soooo slow everyone can evade)
-Rebound (It is only useful for the bug that revives downed allies)

Anyhow, so far I have won 17/23 matches, and I’m always in the top two.

I’m not going to give up on Tempest.

in Elementalist

savacli.8172

I’ve gotten all 9 characters to 80 as well as unlocked 100% of their Elite specs, and for the majority of my time I’ve been putting a lot of hour into the epicness of the Chronomancer. So, I finally gave Tempest a test drive in PvE (where I spend most of my time in the game), and I can say I was honestly surprised by its potential.

I haven’t quite made it over to Warhorn yet, so a lot of my time was spent in D/F. I ran Air/Earth/Tempest and used Air/Water/Tempest when I needed more condi-cleanse. The surprising part of the class was it was able to keep up with being versatile. Auras do a lot of the hard work by being able to maintaining uptime on Fury, Swiftness, Protection (if traited Earth), Vigor, and Regen. Regen can also be further traited to remove conditions. On top of that each Aura application applies a decent heal even if full Berserker.

I also underestimated the Overloads. Fire and Earth are great at stacking more boons, Air does a great deal of damage, and Water does a great job of cleansing and healing (again, still noticeable even in Berserker). Using the Fresh Air trait I primarily focused on returning to Air attunement similar to any other Fresh Air build while attuning/Overloading the other Elements as needed.

The Shout skills weren’t too bad either. The big selling points were that they have relatively shorter cooldowns (compared to an Ele’s other skills), and most of them apply Auras which is the bread and butter of a lot of the support. I originally thought that the radius on the shout skills was smaller too so that was another pleasant surprise.

Overall, I enjoyed the class since it reunited me with an Auramancer build that I played quite heavily back when the game first released. The damage was still great, but I was able to play more of a front line support.

Probably my next goal is going to be crafting a set of Minstrel gear for my Ele so I can further boost his boon distribution and healing capabilities.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

I concur with the above posters.

Tempests biggest problem right now is that warhorn is COMPLETELY outclassed as a weapon by both dagger offhand and focus.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Tempest is a more def/support with more dps aimed dmg where ele is more of a spike dmg caster type. Tempest can melee at all times ele can only melee at very small points and needs to put every thing into being able to live to make it.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Tempest was represented by every team in the monthly finals the other day, so that is something, but still basically as a support/bunker role.

So given that, I don’t think it’s in too bad of a state. When I played with it, it certainly provided more support and survivability than the old bunker spec.

However, it’s a really bad time right now to be a bunker, particularly if you are going solo without a team you can count on to support you. There is just so much burst damage being thrown around right now that you get wrecked.

Personally, I still think the spec is underwhelming and flawed in comparison to other elite specs. Reaper, scrapper, dragonhunter, for example, opened up a lot of new builds. I think there is like 9 different reaper builds up for draft and test on metabattle. Like the addition of Reaper actually made bunker necro a thing. I saw someone play the build in the finals.

We, on the other hand, have like 4 which are all variations of the same celestial support/bunker theme and all of those focus on auras being their main mechanic and not overloads. Several of the guides I have read even actively discouraging overloading except at specific times, because of how bad it can kitten you over for very little gain.

To be hones, being an aura bot is straight up boring to me. And kind of sad. And I’m pretty much done with elementalist for the first time since the game launched. I’ve posted a lot of constructive feedback on how to make the spec better, but the developers have been completely silent for weeks now.

So I am going to my necro to play reaper because A it’s fun and B the developers apparently give a kitten about it.

It could be worse though. We could be warriors. I did a miss a few games in the finals yesterday, but the one’s I did watch, nobody rolled a warrior.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Tempest was represented by every team in the monthly finals the other day, so that is something, but still basically as a support/bunker role.

So given that, I don’t think it’s in too bad of a state. When I played with it, it certainly provided more support and survivability than the old bunker spec.

However, it’s a really bad time right now to be a bunker, particularly if you are going solo without a team you can count on to support you. There is just so much burst damage being thrown around right now that you get wrecked.

Personally, I still think the spec is underwhelming and flawed in comparison to other elite specs. Reaper, scrapper, dragonhunter, for example, opened up a lot of new builds. I think there is like 9 different reaper builds up for draft and test on metabattle. Like the addition of Reaper actually made bunker necro a thing. I saw someone play the build in the finals.

We, on the other hand, have like 4 which are all variations of the same celestial support/bunker theme and all of those focus on auras being their main mechanic and not overloads. Several of the guides I have read even actively discouraging overloading except at specific times, because of how bad it can kitten you over for very little gain.

To be hones, being an aura bot is straight up boring to me. And kind of sad. And I’m pretty much done with elementalist for the first time since the game launched. I’ve posted a lot of constructive feedback on how to make the spec better, but the developers have been completely silent for weeks now.

So I am going to my necro to play reaper because A it’s fun and B the developers apparently give a kitten about it.

It could be worse though. We could be warriors. I did a miss a few games in the finals yesterday, but the one’s I did watch, nobody rolled a warrior.

It is disappointing that the only real time Tempests are useful are during 5v5 PvP situations and not really much else. I do recognize that aura bot is actually ok now with tempest but tempest as a concept really should’ve just been called “auramancer” there isn’t anything tempest like about it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Outsider.6051

Outsider.6051

It is disappointing that the only real time Tempests are useful are during 5v5 PvP situations and not really much else. I do recognize that aura bot is actually ok now with tempest but tempest as a concept really should’ve just been called “auramancer” there isn’t anything tempest like about it.

There is something tempest-like about my ele shouting all the time. Between the attunment swaps and the shout skills, I’m a whirlwind of noise. If i don’t break the enemy’s face, i’ll sure break their ears. If you throw the warhorn in, no one would wanna stay close to you.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

-Tempest brings new aoes with various fields and effects on overload abilities.
-They bring shouts, and warhorn skills that grant more fields, auras and boons

Now here is the thing that kinda bothers me a bit when it comes to tempest and well…any other elite specialization.

People just automatically forget the whole core class and assume they are forced into playing with the new weapon and using ONLY new utility skills…. seriously?

Remember why you started playing elementalist? Remember how fun it was? Remember how versitile it is? (even more so than a revenant is considering he have 4 “weapon” sets at any given time and we can pick and chose whatever utility skills we want)

Well now you get to be all that + whatever combination and synergy you can do with your core weapons, core utility skills and core trait skills.

This is what i think concerns everyone atm. I wont bother saying things like " play whats fun for you, and what you like" cause clearly not everyone plays for fun here.

PS: Who said you need to sit in 1 attunement in order to use a single overload before you are allowed to switch to the next attunement?

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

-Tempest brings new aoes with various fields and effects on overload abilities.
-They bring shouts, and warhorn skills that grant more fields, auras and boons

Now here is the thing that kinda bothers me a bit when it comes to tempest and well…any other elite specialization.

People just automatically forget the whole core class and assume they are forced into playing with the new weapon and using ONLY new utility skills…. seriously?

Remember why you started playing elementalist? Remember how fun it was? Remember how versitile it is? (even more so than a revenant is considering he have 4 “weapon” sets at any given time and we can pick and chose whatever utility skills we want)

Well now you get to be all that + whatever combination and synergy you can do with your core weapons, core utility skills and core trait skills.

This is what i think concerns everyone atm. I wont bother saying things like " play whats fun for you, and what you like" cause clearly not everyone plays for fun here.

PS: Who said you need to sit in 1 attunement in order to use a single overload before you are allowed to switch to the next attunement?

Well the 5 seconds of time between switching and overloading is kinda a thing. If you ever want to use overloads you would have to wait. While you mention synergy there is a lot of synergy that doesn’t work on Tempest. The only ones that do work are Aura builds hence it should’ve been called Auramancer.

Fire fields don’t last longer due to Fire traitline, over half the shouts do not have as much utility as cantrips or even signets. The only real reason you use shouts is for the auras they provide on a low cooldown. And those auras are generally for the grandmaster healing trait and the regeneration and vigor on aura. Instead of getting a damage type class to compliment or change up the way you play an ele you are forced into more bunker and more team support essentially being this game’s equivalent of healer/buff class.

You aren’t forced into them, but compared to other classes it is a pretty lackluster elite. It really seems to only have use in 5v5 PvP where team support is a role that does well. If you take a supporting tempest into fractals/wvw/PvE/probably raids you’re just going to be giving up good amounts of regular damage to never use overloads because you will blow up if you use them.

There is no justification for the overload protection to only last 3 seconds instead of 4, for fire overload not to work with the fire traitline for longer fire fields, for speedy conduit to STILL NOT BE FIXED or at least given superspeed instead of swiftness for 5 seconds.

Also, when I think of tempest I think of a class that drops storms everywhere and for an elementalist that will mean in rapid succession and likely from fairly far away. Not being a close up aura bot that only works in PvP (and you never overload).

(edited by Senario.2038)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Menem.4307

Menem.4307

Warhorn is so laughably bad it’s not even funny. It is outclassed not only by the other classes new weapons, but our own too. Dagger or focus is superior in every way over crappy warhorn. The cast times and animations are simply ridiculous for such garbage spells. I’m not sure what the devs were thinking when they made it..

in Elementalist

Aomine.5012

I assume this is SOLELY from a PVP perspective corret?

In PVE Tempest is quite a solid class with defining tools that outshine other specs in certain aspects. (Many of the new specs ofc are fun, but they’re still in a mix role generally)

Also I do feel like I’m playing a TEMPEST when I constantly summoning thunders all over me and do big AOE damage :P

But if you’re those “PVP-serious high-end must-win” type of players, maybe you’d find Tempest lackluster because it may not be the “top” like the old Ele always were. The funny part is you only brought up 3 specialization that’re considered abit OP right now.

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

In PVE Tempest is quite a solid class with defining tools that outshine other specs in certain aspects. (Many of the new specs ofc are fun, but they’re still in a mix role generally)

Also I do feel like I’m playing a TEMPEST when I constantly summoning thunders all over me and do big AOE damage :P

But if you’re those “PVP-serious high-end must-win” type of players, maybe you’d find Tempest lackluster because it may not be the “top” like the old Ele always were. The funny part is you only brought up 3 specialization that’re considered abit OP right now.

To be perfectly fair even other specs are simply good. Druid has a pretty much unkillable spec now, chronomancer gives excellent team utility to a class that had good single target damage, Herald is an amazing spec that you generally can’t live without. Only Daredevil and Berserker are “questionable” but even they have their uses that benefit the player. Tempest is a pure class that just supports its team rather than gives the player who is playing any kind of benefit. You are not summoning storms you are channeling a close range storm that is way too risky to use. There is a reason why in PvP you don’t overload and the same applies to WvW. Additionally in PvE’s HoT maps it is VERY dangerous to even get close to overload as you would have to do one of two things in order to survive. 1) Build tankier and therefore do less damage compared to simply being full dmg at a long range. 2) Cancel your overload and therefore not get the 10% dmg increase for only 5 seconds.

I would also say those classes are not OP right now but rather classes who do not mach up (daredevil/tempest/berserker) simply do not match up.

And Madrabbit is right, I do think about switching to mesmer or Reaper from time to time because tempest isn’t fun. And I really enjoy elementalist for its versatility. But if I’m going to be reduced to a support bot that isn’t fun and it certainly won’t be viable in any group other than PvP which is a 5 man balanced type of content.

in Elementalist

Aomine.5012

To be perfectly fair even other specs are simply good. Druid has a pretty much unkillable spec now, chronomancer gives excellent team utility to a class that had good single target damage, Herald is an amazing spec that you generally can’t live without. Only Daredevil and Berserker are “questionable” but even they have their uses that benefit the player. Tempest is a pure class that just supports its team rather than gives the player who is playing any kind of benefit. You are not summoning storms you are channeling a close range storm that is way too risky to use. There is a reason why in PvP you don’t overload and the same applies to WvW. Additionally in PvE’s HoT maps it is VERY dangerous to even get close to overload as you would have to do one of two things in order to survive. 1) Build tankier and therefore do less damage compared to simply being full dmg at a long range. 2) Cancel your overload and therefore not get the 10% dmg increase for only 5 seconds.

I would also say those classes are not OP right now but rather classes who do not mach up (daredevil/tempest/berserker) simply do not match up.

And Madrabbit is right, I do think about switching to mesmer or Reaper from time to time because tempest isn’t fun. And I really enjoy elementalist for its versatility. But if I’m going to be reduced to a support bot that isn’t fun and it certainly won’t be viable in any group other than PvP which is a 5 man balanced type of content.

Guess you haven’t tried out the other potential of tempest then. You need to release that mind set of thinking Tempest can only be support.
Your statement of: “Won’t be viable in any game mode other than PVP” is untrue in every possible way, and makes you look like you haven’t really tried out dps spec of Tempest in PVE. Tempest keep the old formula of “leaving lots of fire field for teammate to blast”, while further enhance their dps through overload. (especially air + fresh air). You can still blast the field, or let your teammate blast the field and keep up constant 25 stacks of might, while you yourself is doing the highest dps in the whole game that also happened to hit a large area. (And I’m not exaggerating. I have all classes/ all specs lv80, including Herald, all of them have full zerk gears on. Tempest simply have the highest dps among everything I tried by a large margin, with no competition. )

And yep, I have every new specs unlocked, and most of them already go all over the jungle. You really need to go try it yourself before you judge how good x class is / what class is fun. It is a very subjective matter that really can’t be justified by just seeing other people play, unless you try it on your own for some time. Seriously, go try them right now, and you’d find some of the new specs are not as good, or as bad as you originally anticipated. Personally, I find Tempest is currently the most fun Elite spec I tried, followed by Daredevil and Dragon Hunter. Revenant for me is the overrated class. Herald is mandatory only because the other Hero Choices are just weaker in general.

But all in all, I feel like you’re those PVP-only guy that see the world base only on PVP perspective. If that’s the case, you shouldn’t use the statement of : “Only viable in PVP”, because you’re not comparing in any other game mode.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

in Elementalist

MadRabbit.3179

Actually, no, not at all. I came up with a blood magic minion build for reaper that has about an 80% win rate going solo against champions in HoT with dps slightly less than what my tempest was putting out. I have a 0% win rate against champions with different tempest builds.

And that’s not the funny part. I listed 3 specializations, because I am too lazy to list them all. But outside of warrior, daredevil and chronomancer have added a lot more variation to the class than what was there before.

Tempest didn’t bring anything new and it gets boring pretty quick.

It is also the only the only specialization that introduced a trade off from using our main mechanic. All other specializations were purely additions and in most cases, just straight up power creep.

in Elementalist

Aomine.5012

Actually, no, not at all. I came up with a blood magic minion build for reaper that has about an 80% win rate going solo against champions in HoT with dps slightly less than what my tempest was putting out. I have a 0% win rate against champions with different tempest builds.

And that’s not the funny part. I brought 3 specializations, because I am too lazy to list them all. But outside of warrior, daredevil and chronomancer have added a lot more variation to the class than what was there before.

Using pet classes are a bad example after the -95% aoe damage patch yknow?

Yes, I didn’t use Reaper at all in jungle too. I use blood/death magic minion master and face-roll most HoT maps. Same can be argued with dps/ survival variant ranger with tanky pets. Those 2 classes are my only 2 classes that can safely solo around 70% of Champs in HoT. But pet class is pet class, they’re the exception. They have their limitation too, especially in big scale battle. Those 2 specs excel in roaming, but that’s about it. In big Dynamic event they do not perform as well as some of the other classes like DH and Tempest. They do not excel in dungeon either.

in Elementalist

MadRabbit.3179

Yes, I didn’t use Reaper at all in jungle too. I use blood/death magic minion master and face-roll most HoT maps. Same can be argued with dps/ survival variant ranger with tanky pets. Those 2 classes are my only 2 classes that can safely solo around 70% of Champs in HoT. But pet class is pet class, they’re the exception. They have their limitation too, especially in big scale battle. Those 2 specs excel in roaming, but that’s about it. In big Dynamic event they do not perform as well as some of the other classes like DH and Tempest.

Provided those big dynamic events don’t involve dragons or really anything with strong AoE that makes overloading problematic, I might agree.

But following the same logic you have presented, you can acheive the same high dps, potentially more consistent and with less deaths, just by using the old staff Elementalist dps build, since the dps increase by the addition of Tempest wasn’t huge.

So, no, Tempest has not really introduced anything ground breaking and in only some areas, is it marginally better than the old builds.

And I disagree about Reaper. I think the cleave mechanics they introduced with the multiple hits and the addition of “Rise” have taken blood magic and minion builds much farther than Tempest has taken Elementalist.

in Elementalist

savacli.8172

And that’s not the funny part. I brought 3 specializations, because I am too lazy to list them all. But outside of warrior, daredevil and chronomancer have added a lot more variation to the class than what was there before.

Yes, I didn’t use Reaper at all in jungle too. I use blood/death magic minion master and face-roll most HoT maps. Same can be argued with dps/ survival variant ranger with tanky pets. Those 2 classes are my only 2 classes that can safely solo around 70% of Champs in HoT. But pet class is pet class, they’re the exception. They have their limitation too, especially in big scale battle. Those 2 specs excel in roaming, but that’s about it. In big Dynamic event they do not perform as well as some of the other classes like DH and Tempest.

Chrono also fell in the “pet class” category since the AI on the Champs made them go after illusions. I mean, technically as an Ele, you can throw Golems at the Champ, but they lose out on the benefit of damage reduction since they grab aggro from everyone and don’t have the same replacability that other classes do nor the recovery that Ranger has with its pet.

In other words, it’s not surprising that you wiped as an Ele against those Champs. It’s not impossible, but unless you can lock the Champ into a pattern or have their attacks memorized I can assume there’s gonna be a lot of down time in those fights.

But yeah, having made all my characters go through the HoT maps the Pet Classes were much easier since you could just distract everything with meatshields while you focused on the objective.

Anyways, we’re digressing.

At the end of the day, Tempest has more options as a support build but also offers a different DPS build. Their two biggest items being Auras (a lot of traits here) and Shouts (Works with Soldier runes and have a lesser cooldown).

(edited by savacli.8172)

in Elementalist

MadRabbit.3179

Chrono also fell in the “pet class” category since the AI on the Champs made them go after illusions. I mean, technically as an Ele, you can throw Golems at the Champ, but they lose out on the benefit of damage reduction since they grab aggro from everyone and don’t have the same replacability that other classes do nor the recovery that Ranger has with its pet.

In other words, it’s not surprising that you wiped as an Ele against those Champs. It’s not impossible, but unless you can lock the Champ into a pattern or have their attacks memorized I can assume there’s gonna be a lot of down time in those fights.

But yeah, having made all my characters go through the HoT maps the Pet Classes were much easier since you could just distract everything with meatshields while you focused on the objective.

Anyways, we’re digressing.

At the end of the day, Tempest has more options as a support build but also offers a different DPS build. Their two biggest items being Auras (a lot of traits here) and Shouts (Works with Soldier runes and have a lesser cooldown).

This is completely irrelevant and both of you are using the pet class thing as a crutch to avoid the real issue here.

Reaper greatly enhanced the MM build, because of the addition of Rise which increased the potential pet count up to 12 or 13 at once and the addition of multiple cleave mechanics in both shroud and GS that proc the vampiric traits. Because of these two things, bunker necro is a thing now in PvP. It also makes MM builds even easier and more powerful than they were before.

Tempest has had no impact on elementalist in that type of way, outside of a stronger support role due to the auras, which has nothing to do at all with the main mechanic of overloading. Overloading, realistically, is largely a failure compared to the other specializaitons and we just try to make it work somehow since we get stuck with it when we take it for the auras. There is actually one variation of the support build that takes Tempest solely for the auras and actively discourages overloading in it’s guide.

I will concede that on paper Tempest does increase elementalist DPS by some degree in PVE, but it’s marginal at best and is largely limited by the classes own frailty.

If Tempest had presented some huge increase in DPS for the elementalist class over what we had before, then would be 2-3 variations of that PVE sitting in draft in metabattle by now. But there isn’t even one.

So look, if you like Tempest, play it. It’s not an awful spec. I’ve defended it’s merits in other threads.

But let’s not kid ourselves to think it was really like a groudbreaking change for the elementalist meta. The other specializations are better, they present more possibility in terms of what the classes can do and I find them to be generally more fun, which is why I am not playing an elementalist at the moment.

I mean, I found overloading to be kind of cool for like a couple days, but I am liking having a huge army of pets and a kitten looking shroud at the moment much more.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I realy like my tempest :-). But i agree that i always look at reaper. Its very tempting ^^.
But I basically decided to play ele and learn to master it. I struggled to find the third spec line before tempest and tempest just was the right thing. Not all is perfect but for me it plays superior to arcane. Its not the same and i think most long term ele have to learn it. It might be hard because humans, that got used to something and trained paterns, have a hard time to change that. I have a bit of an advantage here with my much lower playtime. I startet in May this year. I am getting better and better with tempest and effectivly slaying good players that use DH or crono in duels with my S/F build. Its just not rotating elements as it used to be. Its more situational and tactical which fits me well. Anyone that has trained ele rotations over years to be perfect might be lost with tempst. Ther memorized patterns might even be a hinderance to utilize tempest. Tempest is a diffrent playstyle. If you wanted just power creep without relearning the class , nope tempest is diffrent even when having similar roles.

PS: And repers? The look realy cool but i always slay theese scythe and GS wielding spectces in WvW :-). But i think i didnĀ“t meet a real good bunker necro with minions only power builds which i eat for breakfast ;-)

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in Elementalist

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Warhorn is so laughably bad it’s not even funny. It is outclassed not only by the other classes new weapons, but our own too. Dagger or focus is superior in every way over crappy warhorn. The cast times and animations are simply ridiculous for such garbage spells. I’m not sure what the devs were thinking when they made it..

They were thinking how to get rid of a sword asap.