Anyone else having Overload withdrawals?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Started a hotjoin match, running into team fight, hit Air Overload, nothing happened, got sad.

Anyone else miss Overloads and can’t wait till you can play Tempest for good? :p

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

I kinda miss them, but I won’t be using them for a while if tempest is released in its current state. I guess that I should get ready for some heavy withdrawal management.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I’m not built to play Elementalist, but I’m having EXACTLY that reaction to some of the other Especs.

I also can’t wait for things to be locked down and set so some of the ridiculous pleading for wild changes can finally be laid to rest.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Same for me. Want to use tempest.
Not 100% shure if it can match my current version, but i hope for some improvements that allow me to build it. It fits my playstyle better then the arcane version. But after i got used to the arcane ele and found my build its feels quite powerful compared to tempest ^^. Instant shouts, 20% CD reduction and baseline speed is missing for me to throw away arcane. It would feel good :-) playing scepter ele :-).

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in Elementalist

Posted by: SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

SchmendrickTheMagician.8247

Honestly, I’ll miss everything that even gives me the faintest glimmer of hope of having another spec besides d/d ele.

Last of the Red Hot Swamis

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

I had the same experience on my engineer. I tried to rez someone and did, and I thought: “Where is that useless drone that shows up when I rez another player, stands around and disappears?”

In all seriousness, overcharge is a cool mechanic compared to rez/stomp bot (30 second cooldown). I’m seriously considering coming back to ele because I like the concept. Also, I’m really jelly about the tempest class icon. I use that same icon for my guild. I love the Tomoe symbol. This is what I miss most about the tempest.

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Yup, playing fresh air without tempest doesn’t even compare, I do so much less damage without overloads.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I do miss air overload a lot earth was nice too all that stab.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: OneKlicKill.4285

OneKlicKill.4285

Quite the opposite, I benched my ele main because of overloads, they are not fun and are just plain bad in the current form. I’ll be playing reverent. Already have a full ascended set runes trinkets weps and all and the instant 80 tomes ready.

I’ve been playing cantrip ele since pre launch beta, tempest failed at making something
A. more enjoyable, and
B. Something equally as viable (preferably with a new role…)

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

I actually miss my beta druid and rev more

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Quite the opposite, I benched my ele main because of overloads, they are not fun and are just plain bad in the current form. I’ll be playing reverent. Already have a full ascended set runes trinkets weps and all and the instant 80 tomes ready.

I’ve been playing cantrip ele since pre launch beta, tempest failed at making something
A. more enjoyable, and

That just silly why would you give up on your ele main if tempest is not to your like? If you did like tempest then you would be benched your ele main just the same. So if any thing your more likely to play ele becuse you do not like tempest that or you realy did not like ele in the first places.

Any way every thing ele has tempest gets they are not going to add in another set of cantrip like shouts for tempest becuse tempest can still use cantrips. You would need to remove cantrips from the tempest set to add in more cantrip like ability why replaces something that you already have?

Back to benched ele main if you wanted to play something comply new then you would of benched ele any way and the play type. If you wanted something new for ele then say that do not take it out on tempest something that is set up to be a different class then ele.

in Elementalist

OneKlicKill.4285

That just silly why would you give up on your ele main if tempest is not to your like? If you did like tempest then you would be benched your ele main just the same. So if any thing your more likely to play ele becuse you do not like tempest that or you realy did not like ele in the first places.

Any way every thing ele has tempest gets they are not going to add in another set of cantrip like shouts for tempest becuse tempest can still use cantrips. You would need to remove cantrips from the tempest set to add in more cantrip like ability why replaces something that you already have?

Back to benched ele main if you wanted to play something comply new then you would of benched ele any way and the play type. If you wanted something new for ele then say that do not take it out on tempest something that is set up to be a different class then ele.

A. more enjoyable, and

I thought I was pretty clear. I’ve been playing the same ele since pre launch beta. Yes I wanted something new, look at reaper, or chrono, or ranger, or war. They all have synergistic new trait lines that augment their style of play to make it new. Tempest just slaps some abilities on and calls it cost vs reward, emphasis on auras, which are really bad (shocking excluded, and situationally earth), and gave us kittening WH… It’s a bruiser support playstyle, EXACTLY what we’ve been doing, and sitting afk for 4 seconds channeling isn’t my idea of fun, especially when ele has always been one of the most actively engaging classes. And because they didn’t give us a MH wep staying in one attunement isn’t adventagis as our abilities are all balanced around rotating, CDs and Damage

In raids tempest is easily outclassed in its current state and I’ve done my runs through all the instances and fractals be it FA or staff. So I’ll move to something else and enjoy new until they can bring something new to ele THAT CAN COMPETE AND BE FUN.

At the end of the day the ele meta wont change, it’ll be staff/fa in instance and d/d in pvp sounds plenty new eh?

Please skill/trait split and give control to the PvP team. Karl is fucking killing us

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

A. more enjoyable, and

I thought I was pretty clear. I’ve been playing the same ele since pre launch beta. Yes I wanted something new, look at reaper, or chrono, or ranger, or war. They all have synergistic new trait lines that augment their style of play to make it new. Tempest just slaps some abilities on and calls it cost vs reward, emphasis on auras, which are really bad (shocking excluded, and situationally earth), and gave us kittening WH… It’s a bruiser support playstyle, EXACTLY what we’ve been doing, and sitting afk for 4 seconds channeling isn’t my idea of fun, especially when ele has always been one of the most actively engaging classes. And because they didn’t give us a MH wep staying in one attunement isn’t adventagis as our abilities are all balanced around rotating, CDs and Damage

In raids tempest is easily outclassed in its current state and I’ve done my runs through all the instances and fractals be it FA or staff. So I’ll move to something else and enjoy new until they can bring something new to ele THAT CAN COMPETE AND BE FUN.

At the end of the day the ele meta wont change, it’ll be staff/fa in instance and d/d in pvp sounds plenty new eh?

To be fair, its difficult to bring something completely new to a class that can already do nearly everything with a degree of proficiency. They gave us a new playstyle thats more strategic instead of scripted, and I’m happy with it so far, pending some of the traits are brought up to more reasonable levels.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

A. more enjoyable, and

To be fair, its difficult to bring something completely new to a class that can already do nearly everything with a degree of proficiency. They gave us a new playstyle thats more strategic instead of scripted, and I’m happy with it so far, pending some of the traits are brought up to more reasonable levels.

It always amuses me when people say that eles can do nearly everything.

Can they:

• take hits nearly as well as other professions when going full glass?
  • have stealth at all?
  • use reflect fields against area effect?
  • utilise boon-stripping or boon corruption?
  • use support that involves resistance, quickness, retaliation, aegis or alacrity?
  • have a good condition spec that can deal long-term damage? They are missing a few conditions as well.
  • be dedicated healers?
  • deal good mobile damage in PvE?

As you see there are a lot of things that the ele either cannot do or at least not perform proficiently at. I am sure that there are more examples than these as well, but that’s all that came to my mind in about 5 minutes.

Ironically, the tempest does have potential to address some things that the ele lacks. Mobile PvE damage is a big one, but the fact of the matter is the tempest needs buffs to compete in that area, especially because the ele needs to also make up for its survivability problems when going glass. The tempest could also have the potential to be a good healer with the right gear, if Anet tried to adjust the healing scaling of ele abilities.

I have also been reading about the tank tempest and that has been an interesting prospect that I never thought of. If you get the right gear and traits for that role, I wonder if it would work.

(edited by Ganathar.4956)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Why would I have withdrawals for skills that are worse than useless?

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

A. more enjoyable, and

That kind of how ele works most lines do not work with each other at all beyond say aura and added aura effects. Fire line mostly works with just fire atument water mostly works with water atument etc.. That is the ideal behind ele’s lines. Tempest works with all lines in the way of auras overloads shouts and WH. In a lot of ways tempest line vs ele’s other lines work with more things then the ele. Take arcain its a swap very light aura arcain utility that it. Fire is mostly fire line conjar weapons and some aura, water is cantrips water line reg effect and auras, air is glyph air line auras and some cc effects, earth line is signets earth atument and auras.

in Elementalist

nearlight.3064

A. more enjoyable, and

It always amuses me when people say that eles can do nearly everything.

Can they:

• take hits nearly as well as other professions when going full glass?
  • have stealth at all?
  • use reflect fields against area effect?
  • utilise boon-stripping or boon corruption?
  • use support that involves resistance, quickness, retaliation, aegis or alacrity?
  • have a good condition spec that can deal long-term damage? They are missing a few conditions as well.
  • be dedicated healers?
  • deal good mobile damage in PvE?

As you see there are a lot of things that the ele either cannot do or at least not perform proficiently at. I am sure that there are more examples than these as well, but that’s all that came to my mind in about 5 minutes.

Ironically, the tempest does have potential to address some things that the ele lacks. Mobile PvE damage is a big one, but the fact of the matter is the tempest needs buffs to compete in that area, especially because the ele needs to also make up for its survivability problems when going glass. The tempest could also have the potential to be a good healer with the right gear, if Anet tried to adjust the healing scaling of ele abilities.

I have also been reading about the tank tempest and that has been an interesting prospect that I never thought of. If you get the right gear and traits for that role, I wonder if it would work.

I think that dedicated healer roles, whether base elementalist or tempest are definitely possible.

as far as stealth goes, I think stealth isn’t an elementalist thing simply because they want to maintain differentiation between the skillset of different classes. The differentiation argument extends to other things you mentioned, like rare boons or boon strip (that tempest was supposed to have), but having those niche roles in a jack of all trades class would be a little bit too much versatility. Let’s not forget that tempest has more ability than any other class in the game to easily give their team protection permanently, and protection being as strong of a boon as it is should not be overlooked.

Fresh air builds in pvp are held together by earth focus skills with reduced cooldown and superspeed for kiting and repositioning and blinds in 1v1. I mean, yeah it’s less active defense than what a PU mes or SA thief has but there are options if you look for them. Condition damage builds actually feel a lot more viable since the burn stacking change for sure, and the tools are definitely there, but they’re relatively weakened by the eles jack of all trades design that makes it more efficient to be hybridized to max.

Tempest gives a lot more Mobile AoE damage through overloads for sure, it just has a higher risk higher reward setup in a game where low risk, high reward builds typically dominate.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

(edited by nearlight.3064)

in Elementalist

OneKlicKill.4285

….

Yeah, but i think the point is that Ele cannot do any of these roles in a Competitivly viable sense. No one in their right mind would take a F/A over Theif/Mes in pvp.

Yeah I agree on stealth for the most part, Although with the greater access to reveal, I think the next elite spec (MH SWORD) can bring stealth

We don’t have reliable short CD cap closers like other classes (Shadowsteps, and blinks are all shorter CDs than our blink and RTL)

Our active defense is purely boon based which is really bad for a glass build (yeah focus earth helps this but we should have lower CD abilites to help negate shorter term damage and aid in avoidence (all of our defenses rely on being in the correct attune when you need them, you can just land a daze instantly to stop that massive hit you cant dodge like a theif or mes or insta blind.)

So as far as offense we had a lot to gain

For condi the same issues arise and we have to rely on boons and amulet stats to stay alive. this means you cant just go condi like you can on say a burn guardian.

As far as the mobile aoe goes, its not a sustainable mobile aoe so it falls in the same problem as before because once you finish channeling its not moving, its also on CD for much longer…

I agree with healing, we could do that well, although now druid can do it much better (more so than base or tempest)

At the end of the day they had routes to go but they chose auras and hybrid support, which we could already do(and did the best) Auras where already spread into every kittening trait line, they really should have created a more interesting mechanic to play off of or a modified aura making them a better defense/offence (IE pulse the effects around you rather than when struck, or something similar) Healing on cast just turns into more HoT effects further forceing us into bruiser builds as our only defense is long-term sustain…

Off all of that, I think Overloads should be 1.5-2 sec channels that do NOTHING DURING CHANNEL, and burst at the end or drop some large effect (Risk vs reward here). Upon interrupt it would work just like any other interrupt (think war Killshot) where it goes on CD for 5 sec. Upon success the current CD would be applied and you would be forced to swap Attune (all abilities in the atune go to the 20 sec CD if bellow that CD to essentially force you out) Because that would be a true overload, you focused all that attune energy and released it all at once, not this slow trickled bull kitten, thats not overload, it should be called soft release or something….

anyway that’s my rant, not like its going to change now though (it never was that was proven after karls response to BE1)