Ascended weapons vs Lightning Hammer

in Elementalist

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

With the introduction of ascended weapons, I fear the ele will become useless even in PvE.

Currently, the broken-ness of Lightning Hammer is the one things that keeps ele dungeon-worthy. However, since weapon stats are being buffed while LH’s stats would likely be neglected, our damage to survivability ratio would just take another hit compared to other professions.

You would already get 1-shotted from bosses at high level fractals if using full zerker so even if AR worked on LH, you’d probably still die but the question still remains: what if the AR from the ascended weapon doesn’t get carried over?

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I doubt everyone will have ascended weapons so easily, and they aren’t going to dwarf exotics in effectiveness.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Ascended weapon isn’t the thing that will suddenly make elemetnalist useless. Nothing is going to make them useless because most of the issues with the elementalist isn’t apparent in PvE less so in WvW but definately in PvP.

So no ascended isn’t going to make them useless. Or ascended isn’t the thing that finally makes them useless.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Uhhh…

ANet changed the way kits work a long time ago. When you wield Lightning Hammer (or any bundle, such as Grenade Kit), you gain all of the stats and sigils of the weapon set you have equipped.

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

Uhhh…

ANet changed the way kits work a long time ago. When you wield Lightning Hammer (or any bundle, such as Grenade Kit), you gain all of the stats and sigils of the weapon set you have equipped.

The stats from your weapon and sigil is applied but the Weapon Strength remains separate. If the Weapon Strength difference is anything like the difference between rare and exo*, it the effect could be pretty significant.

Grade difference in weapons and armor impacts performance more greatly than trinkets since they carry Weapon Strength and base Armour unlike trinkets that are just purely atrribute boosters.

NB: *even with 25 bloodlust, a rare weapon outputs alot less damage than 0 bloodlust with an exo weapon.

(edited by zencow.3651)

in Elementalist

emikochan.8504

here’s hoping they don’t doing something stupid with ascended weapons and gear like making them straight up superior.

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

I doubt everyone will have ascended weapons so easily, and they aren’t going to dwarf exotics in effectiveness.

I have BiFrost and Meteorlogicus so I will have ascended grade weapons as soon as the patch comes out. Pity though I won’t benefiting from them much since optimal damage calls for LH…

in Elementalist

emikochan.8504

I have BiFrost and Meteorlogicus so I will have ascended grade weapons as soon as the patch comes out. Pity though I won’t benefiting from them much since optimal damage calls for LH…

Well currently yes, but I doubt we’ll be weak damage *forever , right? Anet will fix stuff eventually.

I BELIEVE!

(edited by emikochan.8504)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Baladir.2736

Baladir.2736

LH is simply not all it is cracked up to be. To use in a rotation, fine, but other skills have better burst. And the mob can’t be anything but paper because if he starts hitting you, there is one defensive skill with an 18 second cooldown.

No doubt someone is going to quote me a co-efficient from a character with stats no one runs with because they are absurd. How about linking me to a video with perfectly controlled circumstances and a elementalist with no agro?

But, in the real world lol, ( as if there is one in GW2), the LH is marginal. It doesn’t make the ele anymore viable in Pve and certainly not WvW or PvP. In Pve the ele is fine already. In Wvw and PvP it is terrible for 1v1 already and LH makes it worse imo.

So, for any new eles out there, try it out and see if there is a way to work it in. Just don’t think there is something wrong with your computer when you don’t see the results you might expect given all the hype.

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

LH is simply not all it is cracked up to be. To use in a rotation, fine, but other skills have better burst. And the mob can’t be anything but paper because if he starts hitting you, there is one defensive skill with an 18 second cooldown.

No doubt someone is going to quote me a co-efficient from a character with stats no one runs with because they are absurd. How about linking me to a video with perfectly controlled circumstances and a elementalist with no agro?

You need to LH in PvE. It’s pretty godmode.

Your have abit of a cooldown so your damage in between S/D spikes is pretty weak. D/D fresh air has better sustain damage since you can lightning whip spam between your bursty skills from other attunements but lacks blast finish.

Defense-wise if anything you have MORE defense in LH than any other weapon due to the AoE blind on every third auto-hit vs the high cooldowns. It also provides the sustained damage that the eles lack.

I’m currently running sub-optimal 25/25/0/20/0 full zerkers and LH does 4k-4k-6k crits without might stacks. Damage-wise this is equivalent to a typical zerker warrior being able to spam Hundred Blades constantly and with 25% increased attack speed but the end of which HB also counts as a blast finisher and blinds. 25/0/20/25/0 supposedly on average has higher damage and is slightly ‘tankier’ but requires you to have team-mates who applies burn, vulnerability and bleed for your +damage% steroids to stay up (i.e. Guard and Warrior) + I like seeing the red numbers more often.

Try it. LH with these stats are completely safe in dungeons like CoE where trash mobs are few and Alpha is easy, FGS or not. SE of course hurts especially if you don’t have team-mates to reflect.

(edited by zencow.3651)

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

Demonstration of how Weapon Strength causes a massive difference in damage across weapon grades even though the stats show negligible difference.

So even with ascended weapons, LH still only do 4k-4k-6k while everyone else apart from engineers and condition necroes will get an extra +15% damage boost from higher Weapon Strength.

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

You need to LH in PvE. It’s pretty godmode.

The way it’s described in this thread, it sounds more like ‘overpowered already’ than ‘needs a buff to keep up’ to me.

So even with ascended weapons, LH still only do 4k-4k-6k while everyone else apart from engineers and condition necroes will get an extra +15% damage boost from higher Weapon Strength.

Yes, but if they were only doing 3k damage to begin with, they’ll now do 3.45k instead…meaning you’re still ahead. :-)

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sabull.5670

Sabull.5670

I would expect them only giving stat boost on the ascended, not weapon damage. That would be too much .

[TA]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

They are. A LOT so. As someone calculated in a posting in Game Discussion, the 5% increase on each stat/damage of Ascended weapons will ultimately result in a 15% difference in total power (not the stat) between two characters (Asc vs Exo).

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

They are. A LOT so. As someone calculated in a posting in Game Discussion, the 5% increase on each stat/damage of Ascended weapons will ultimately result in a 15% difference in total power (not the stat) between two characters (Asc vs Exo).

That was me, and that was a comparison between exotic and rare though and that’s an 11% difference.

With the same back-stab test, with ascended weapon being only 5% stronger than exotic, the according to damage calculations (as I can’t test ascended weapons in-game) shows the difference will only be around 6.2% assuming 100% crit chance.

But of course that difference can go higher when factoring in external sources of power like like utility signets, food and bloodlust that can come in to play. If I add in Assasin’s Signet the difference becomes around 6.4%.

The more power you have or lack, the larger the difference in damage output from weapon grades will get. A common misconception people make is that they might offset their stats difference by upping their power. Someone might think that when they can ‘outplay’ someone with an ascended weapon my stacking might and use consumables, but when the opponent stacks might and uses consumables they can be much stronger due to weapon strength’s amplification effect, though it’s much confortably smaller between ascended and exo than between rare and exo as I hope to have demonstrated.

in Elementalist

Antiriad.7160

Oh right. But what is the difference if you consider not only have weapons, but a full set of items of Ascended vs Exotic.

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

Oh right. But what is the difference if you consider not only have weapons, but a full set of items of Ascended vs Exotic.

The above was assuming you had BiS everywhere except the weapon slot. For a full exotic vs ascended comparison see below:

The if disregarding traits and assuming full PVT armor the, damage difference at a minimum is 8.2%. The difference would be less for non-power major stat sets like Clerics but tanky/scum warriors and guardians don’t do any damage anyway so I’d rather disregard them.

In the ideal and extreme case scenario of 25 might stacks/25 blood stacks, butternut squash soup food, superior sharpening stone, full zerker, scholar runes, 25/30/0/0/15 thief with Sigil of Impact backstabbing a 1900 armor target, the maximum damage you can deal is the fabled 19.2k with in full exotics. In full ascended gear, including the assumed 5% improved ascended weapon, the backstab would deal 21.5k. So maximal damage output difference is 11.82%.

So the answer is anywhere between 8.2% – 11.82% depending on your build, which is not all that bad.

(edited by zencow.3651)

in Elementalist

Antiriad.7160

Thanks. Well in my opinion it shouldn’t exceeed 3%..5%, more is too much of an advantage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Frye.4608

Frye.4608

“Well currently yes, but I doubt we’ll be weak damage *forever , right? Anet will fix stuff eventually.”

Actually….

It was not acknowledged for months that thieves being permanently invisible was a problem at all. When the announcement to fix culling finally came, it still took months of work to get things sorted.

I have never seen even a hint that eles are being tweaked. The nerf was announced far in advance.

What might seem obvious to most people can sometimes get lost in a corporate setting with arguments, counter-arguments, strong personalities and weak ones, that sort of thing.

I imagine the ‘anet balance team’ (do game companies even HAVE those?) with a very big loud talking guy as the thief-man, an intimidating ruthless warrior-guy who won’t take no for an answer, a quiet but firm ranger-person, a necro representative who just came out of the closet and an empty chair behind the elementalist sign.

in Elementalist

Antiriad.7160

Does anyone actually know which professions the Arenanet people play mostly?

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

Does anyone actually know which professions the Arenanet people play mostly?

Isaiah Cartwright cares for Warriors and Guardians.

Anet’s pretty much clueless about their own game though. Even right in the times of Gw1 PvP glory days where the game was considered the most balanced, right off the bat most of the recommended builds were terrible:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hamstorm
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Premade_build

Necromancers were notorious for becoming super strong, then super-nerfed throughout the history of GWs, some examples are Lingering Curse, Weakened Knees and the Blood Magic updates toward the end of the game’s PvP life.

In my opinion, even with less skills to work with, Gw2 is pretty much headed toward the same downward spiral of imbalancing despite what the Dev’s intentions are. Necro’s pretty seeing the same it is in Gw2 as it is in Gw1. Death Shroud was strong initially then nerfed, Wells were buffed then nerfed, people cry for a about a year, then they buff them in too many factors: more Fear, Burn, Torment, Marks and the DS+Spectral Armor to be overpowered as they are now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Erebus.7568

Erebus.7568

you where never suppose to use lightning hammer as your primary weapon… the ele is broken and up and need to be fixed. lightning hammer being tweaked down to the effectiveness of other conjure weapons isnt what creates an issue

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

the ele is broken and up and need to be fixed.

Yeah but you see that whine in every other thread. I wanted my whine to be original ;D

in Elementalist

Posted by: Oxygen.5918

Oxygen.5918

PvE isn’t scaled up, so compared to others you may do a bit less damage, but stuff didn’t become harder. Were you good three days ago? You’ll be good in a month.

I was the best at burning things. Especially bosses that
didn’t move.

in Elementalist

Posted by: blessing nosferatu.3784

blessing nosferatu.3784

Yea eles will be useless with ascended.
Meanwhile in dungeons “why my fiery rush hitted for just 140k?”

[rT]

in Elementalist

zencow.3651

Yea eles will be useless with ascended.
Meanwhile in dungeons “why my fiery rush hitted for just 140k?”

See but it should hit for 154k with ascended weapon. But no, it will only stay 140k

in Elementalist

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

Conjures and kits get the stats of the highest tier weapons that you can use at your level.
Since asc will be the new highest tier LH will do the damage of an asc hammer at lvl 80.
Meaning we and engis will get max damage before anyone else,so what exactly is the problem?
Sad we have to use a conjure to do any damage tho.

in Elementalist

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Conjures and kits get the stats of the highest tier weapons that you can use at your level.
Since asc will be the new highest tier LH will do the damage of an asc hammer at lvl 80.
Meaning we and engis will get max damage before anyone else,so what exactly is the problem?
Sad we have to use a conjure to do any damage tho.

Problem is anet’s disability to think about everything. I wouldn’t expect them to change conjures/kit to ascended levels at the patch day.