Bad reduction of the Tempest Auras.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ZahnPastor.7536

ZahnPastor.7536

So, instead of just flaming and whining, I will try to actually explain the very root of this idea, ArenaNet is having right now, and how it is ruining the experience of 99% of the playerbase.
The change just now to the Auras of the Tempest are just outright bad.
- The new effects are indistinguishable from each other, it’s even hard to tell, if the enemy has activated any of the Auras. Toning down effects a little is not erasing the complete visual and let the character sit in a completely transparent egg
- Most people didn’t have a problem with the original effects either. These effects are just for the “e-sports” scene, which ArenaNet is aggressively trying to promote, even though they are actually horribly failing at it. A game such as GW2 is and will never be considered a high level e-sport by any means. And ruining visuals and outright downgrading visual effects for “clarity” will ruin the experience of literally the whole playerbase, and competitive players won’t just now start getting interested in GW2. A game naturaly become an e-sport, if it is suitable for this. Guild Wars 2 is not.
- Not even being able to have it as an individual option is just the cherry on the top. Being able to make the game visuals more readable is maybe a good thing – for maybe 5% of the playerbase. The others are just getting this pushed upon themselves, because of this tiny minority.

Please just remove all recent changes on visuals and sit down with a good team of designers and think of a good way, of how people playing GW2 competitivly can have a clear, readable game (which is not established with this change, it’s actually harder now) and normal people have a nice, good looking, fun game.
Possible options are i. e. Being able to tone down visuals individualy via options (Only turn down my visuals, only turn down enemies visuals, etc.) or just having these changes in effect, where it actually matters, sPvP.

Please don’t screw this good game up.
- a worried player

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Since the OP put such work to being reasonable and not whining. I will have to give this thread a +1. These recent visual noise changes seem to have been done without proper forethought and should be removed and re-evaluated. A lot of these changes seem to decrease counterplay and fun. I’ll save my jokes for another thread. Please consider this.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Outsider.6051

Outsider.6051

+1. Magnetic aura on an asura is pretty hard to see, even if you zoom in. I admit they look more like auras emanating off the body now instead of bubbles like before but you can’t see what aura a tempest has on esp on a teamfight. Anet wants us to look at the buff bar more instead of the fight onscreen?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

well. Downgrading visuals is bad for the feel of the game ….
On the other side i always hated that playerbar and that all is visible. I want to see the fire aura burning and ice on the skin … But not the icons …

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dahir.4158

Dahir.4158

What I want to know is who thought this would be a good idea and to authorize it? The previous aura effects we’re pretty cool along with the sound that came with it, but as of now it is pretty boring and in really bad taste.

The appearance of the auras look pretty rushed and unattractive. Bring back the old versions ASAP. I’m 100% sure everyone who plays ele or has fought against one relies on the appearance and sound of the auras as it affects the outcome of a fight.

For example, warriors attempting to kill an elementalist with a rifle; imagine the ele popped it’s Magnetic Aura up, the warrior would have ample time to react to that and cancel whatever rifle skill they were about to use.

Let’s say after this update the warrior wants to fight the ele. The ele uses the aura skill and the rifle uses Killshot. The unsuspecting warrior wont realise it, because they can’t see the aura. Do you understand?

I will let you think about that, ArenaNet.

Broski

in Elementalist

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

+1 to the OP.

But I wouldn’t expect any changes or replies.

E-sports & all that.

Headdesk

in Elementalist

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

http://i.imgur.com/uyPyveU.jpg
Anet are you srs?

in Elementalist

Posted by: amaranthined.5167

amaranthined.5167

ANet: We’re going to design an elite spec that brings back Auramancer!!….oh wait, Auras cause too much visual clutter, so we’re going to make it so they’re practically invisible.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I don’t like the change at all. I’m really unhappy about the "reducing visual clutter’ patches they keep adding because it makes the game look less beautiful and feel less fun, especially in a game that is all about the visuals.

But more importantly this is a HUGE problem functionally. If the point of reducing all the visual noise is for #esports spectating (and lol, there are so many problems with GW2 spectating that have nothing at all to do with clutter), it is a big problem to not be able to quickly identify when your opponent is using auras, especially for Shocking and Magnetic aura. The previous visibility (which imo was perfectly fine) allowed for counterplay. Because of Tempest we have the potential for an absolutely stupid amount of Shocking Aura uptime (Dagger 3, Tempest Defense, Rebound, and Unstable Conduit / Fresh Air) and others not being able to tell when we have that in combat is really not okay.

IMO Anet should not be doing universal visual nerfs, they should be putting in checkbox options like OP suggested (I’d say split at least by self, party / squad, enemies) or sliders so we can custom adjust it.

Henge of Denravi [VLK]
Zvezdana & Dana Uses Splash; Elementalist // Evegeniya; Engineer // Melinoe; Necromancer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

The thing I want to remind people that even the PvP esport players didn’t request this Aura visual change either. I don’t even know where ANet get the idea from.

Please don’t blame PvP players on this.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oshilator.4681

oshilator.4681

The thing I want to remind people that even the PvP esport players didn’t request this Aura visual change either. I don’t even know where ANet get the idea from.

+1

He’s right. Never once.

Headdesk

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

+1

He’s right. Never once.

At this point it seems like Anet has no idea how to reduce visual clutter an they are just trying random changes without even thinking about them. With all of these invisible animations, elementalists will soon be the most OP class in PvP.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

+1 to op

and as respect for his job, i’ll just leave this here to stya a bit respectfull:

“We test our game” – Anet

PS:
But i disagree on one thing, GW2 could perfectly be an e-sport game. But what people (what companies (here Anet), and some playe) fail to understand is that it’s the COMMUNITY that can create E-sport.

Just check what happenned to Starcraft1
quick sum up: Korea’s league of starcraft 1 all switched to SC2, but the huge fan base managed to make it back to E-sport scene by creating new organisation of SC1 tournament

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: roelvanesch.2817

roelvanesch.2817

+1 to op

and as respect for his job, i’ll just leave this here to stya a bit respectfull:

“We test our game” – Anet

PS:
But i disagree on one thing, GW2 could perfectly be an e-sport game. But what people (what companies (here Anet), and some playe) fail to understand is that it’s the COMMUNITY that can create E-sport.

Just check what happenned to Starcraft1
quick sum up: Korea’s league of starcraft 1 all switched to SC2, but the huge fan base managed to make it back to E-sport scene by creating new organisation of SC1 tournament

Which is very much the reason Gw2 is NOT an Esport, the community doesnt see it as such.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mizu Misa.8730

Mizu Misa.8730

+1 I want my auras back! They are what made playing auramancer fun and cool for me!

Painkillerguild.com [eu][gh][pvx] applications welcome!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ghatzuma.5192

Ghatzuma.5192

+1 to the OP. This is just horrible, particularly on lighter and textured backgrounds auras just can’t be seen.

While you’re at it remove the toon altogether to reduce the visual noise!

I think rendering of the aura is all client side, so what’s in it to mess with it? If you have time “fixing” stuff, please go look at things that are broken like armor clippings, or sylvari racial Orchid chest piece that after 3 years still blocks any shoulder piece from showing up.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

While you’re at it remove the toon altogether to reduce the visual noise!

I had this same suggestion. XD Obviously ridiculous, but you never know lately.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

EVen wash the pain away is so badly nerfed visually, I can barely see if ppl are being hit by the heal. They need to test these changes with groups of ppl before blindly making visual changes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaleban.9834

Kaleban.9834

Let’s design a game where the interface is minimal, and the player has to rely on what’s going on on-screen to figure out the state of the character and the game environment. That way, the player will be more involved and immersed.

In an attempt to capitalize on lol-sportz, let’s destroy all the visual feedback on screen to reduce “clutter.” Oh and while we’re at it, lets NOT re-design the user interface to make up for the loss of visual cues.

Nothing says “m04r ch4113ng3” and “1337 sk1llz” like making sure all players have no way to know what is actually occurring in game.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I… have a confession. I like the egg shape.

I know. I know. It doesn’t make sense. Only a perfectly spherical magnetic shield could reflect a projectile back the way it came. But I ..like the egg. If only there was an option so people could choose if they see an egg or a ball.

And the auras are definitely too faint.

in Elementalist

Posted by: insomnia.3178

insomnia.3178

kittenmit !Visual feedback has been totally ruined!Remove those kittenty eggs and go back to the old effects!WTH DEVS!?are you totally dumb?! -.- It’s unbelievable !!

in Elementalist

Posted by: hurrado.2346

hurrado.2346

I think an option bar to increase/decrease the effects would be a nice solution. I preferred the game before the “noise” nerds because it felt like you were actually fighting other players. Now I feel like I’m throwing carrots at people on my ele and honestly the auras being less noticeable is nonsense. Most people wanted them to be more noticeable if anything.