Berserker Ele dies too quickly - some tips?

in Elementalist

Posted by: shOOtstyle.8742

shOOtstyle.8742

Hey Guys,
I have been playing my Elemantalist quite a while, so I decided one month ago to get him some Berserker Gear. I tried likely every build (Staff, S/D, S/F, D/F, D/F) but often I cant survive like 5 seconds in a fight. Do you guys have some improvement tips for me?
Greets

PS: Normally I am playing a Berserker Thief, so I know what a glassy class is, but it is not as nearly the same as playing a Thief

in Elementalist

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

don’t get hit

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

in Elementalist

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

Unfortunately the current meta allows for three Ele builds:
1. Berserker Ele who dies in 5 seconds.
2. Bunker Ele who kills nothing and almost never dies.
3. A mix of the two which causes you to be inferior to every other class.

Ele’s are in an unfortunate place in the current meta. Hopefully the next Meta will allow for better Ele builds and gameplay.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

We need a little more info to give any meaningful advice. For example: What game mode is this for (PvE, PvP, WvW)? What build are you running or what have you tried running in the past?

In general I’d say the trick to playing zerker ele is to know your limits. Stick the outskirts of a fight and back out when you must (though this may be easier/more difficult depending on your weapon set—I’d outright not recommend going zerker on d/d). Getting targeted can be tough if you have little survivability.

(edited by Elestian.6134)

in Elementalist

shOOtstyle.8742

We need a little more info to give any meaningful advice. For example: What game mode is this for (PvE, PvP, WvW)? What build are you running or what have you tried running in the past?

In general I’d say the trick to playing zerker ele is to know your limits. Stick the outskirts of a fight and back out when you must (though this may be easier/more difficult depending on your weapon set—I’d outright not recommend going zerker on d/d). Getting targeted can be tough if you have little survivability.

My question was for general PvE such as Dungeons and Fractals.
Generally I tried the following specs:

Staff (30/10/10/10/10) – Generally a good build, but you camp at fire and it has almost no group support (low might stacking). Also LoSing is difficult with this spec too.

S/D (25/10/10/25/0) – My favorite of all listed builds, but still low survivability, condition remover and when your LH or FB is gone you do like no dmg.

D/D (0/20/0/20/30) – Nice to play with good survivability but very low damage compared to other classes.

D/D (30/30/0/0/10) – Absolutely glassy imo. Great mobility but extremely low survivability.

D/F (30/30/10/0/0) – More defesive than D/D, but still too glassy as you are in melee range.

Maybe you guys good give me some advices for those or similar builds?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Would help a lot if we knew what game mode you are playing in with you zerker ele.I play only PvE with my zerker ele so I’ll speak for that.

Except if you are freaking good at it, you won’t be able to experiment new content with your toon. You need to know the dungeon like crazy before going in with a full DPS ele.

Since most full DPS ele, don’t even use much cantrip or defensive skills, its really hard to stay alive. Your best friend is your movement and placement. Don’t go first into a first or you’ll get targeted. I usually stay at 300 range for a couple of second while i’m stacking might, then go in the last with my LH.

Know when to place yourself. This is good advice for everybody, but on the ele you simply don’t have any choose if you want to survive. Stay behind the Golem at CoE, or move a bit around the pillar at the AC Spider, etc. The right movement can allow you to save a lot of dodge for when you really need it. If you stack and start DPSing or dodge as soon as you can without knowing the encounter well, you will die.

Use you skills. Fiery Greatsword is a really powerful Offensive weapons. But also a great defensive one. The skill 3 is free evade so use it at the right time to stay alive longer. You also have access to some interrupt like the Light Hammer. Use them at the right time to stop the boss from launching a big attack when you don’t have any more dodge.

The Ele can get a lot of survivability from his party. Aegis, Reflect, Blind, interrupt, etc. If you group is organized, you can time them well enough to make things a lot easier for everybody, especially for the ele.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in Elementalist

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

My question was for general PvE such as Dungeons and Fractals.
Generally I tried the following specs:

Staff (30/10/10/10/10) – Generally a good build, but you camp at fire and it has almost no group support (low might stacking). Also LoSing is difficult with this spec too.

S/D (25/10/10/25/0) – My favorite of all listed builds, but still low survivability, condition remover and when your LH or FB is gone you do like no dmg.

D/D (0/20/0/20/30) – Nice to play with good survivability but very low damage compared to other classes.

D/D (30/30/0/0/10) – Absolutely glassy imo. Great mobility but extremely low survivability.

D/F (30/30/10/0/0) – More defesive than D/D, but still too glassy as you are in melee range.

Maybe you guys good give me some advices for those or similar builds?

• You don’t really need mobility in dungeons. D/D is a poor set of weapons for anything besides tagging mobs for Bloodlust/Precision stacks. Even so, an ice bow would beat it quite easily.
  • x/D is not great for skipping trash mobs. Using it to travel over far distance in Arah is fine. Sc/D is easier to stack might during a boss fight and you need to make sure that no one ever steals your LH.
  • The problem of your survivability is not at the builds. I personally use them all and even have some of my own variation for duo/solo/pug purpose. If you can be more specific in what encounters make you feel overwhelmed, it will be easier to give you more detailed advices.

A personal favorite. It works great at high level fractals and casual fast dungeon runs, fairly well in a Lupi duo/trio. It can also work as a situational staff build.

(edited by IrisTheCasual.3742)

in Elementalist

shOOtstyle.8742

Thank you guys for your quick replies.

The tip, Thaddeus mentioned about positioning is a great tip. I know myself as a person who rushes directly into the next part of a dungeon, so mostly I am the one who gets targeted i guess. Gonna try this one out.

Most of the time I am struggeling with those stacking situations. If there is a situation where “only” Elites or Trashmobs are running around you can blindtank them ofcourse. But when we go for the Tar in Arah P1 the stacking becomes much more difficult. I feel like you need over 10 dodges to survive all of this.

Also for bosses which we do not stack: Even if you know when to dodge and so on. When you fail dodging the attack just one time you are like instant dead. And because of those Defiant Stacks on these bosses you can not just permastun or permablind them for more survivability (would be kinda dumb if this would be possible).

But for general: Lets pretend I have no idea how to play an Berserker Ele, which build with which playstyle would you recommend? Also what would be a good “training” in your opinion to get more comfortable with this class? Thanks again for your replies

in Elementalist

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

There isn’t much more to it than just ‘avoid getting hit’. Arcane Shield is good to keep on your bar at almost all times for the “Oh kitten ” moments. You’ve also got Earth 5 on S/F and Swirling Winds to lean on if you need. Best advice is just to avoid the damage as well as you can.

Manage your evades too! I struggled with this quite a bit coming from vig. precision on my Guardian to my Ele. You don’t have as many to burn so realize what you need to dodge and what you don’t.

It isn’t nearly as forgiving as a Warrior or Guardian but then again you also do way higher DPS… Keep at it!

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

in Elementalist

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

If you feel you’re dying too fast, take s/f and arcane shield. As enemys approach, pop arcance shield and do your might stacking combo, including arcane brilliance which should put your hp back to 100% in case you got it. As you switch to earth, use focus 5 to get invulnerable to attacks. After that, you have your lightning hammer to spam aoe blindness and two dodges. This should be enough for most of the fights.

(edited by cursE.1794)

in Elementalist

IrisTheCasual.3742

But for general: Lets pretend I have no idea how to play an Berserker Ele, which build with which playstyle would you recommend? Also what would be a good “training” in your opinion to get more comfortable with this class? Thanks again for your replies

There are two parts of your question: the ‘play style’ and the ‘training wheel’.

1. The Play Style

• Melee DPS is always stronger than Range DPS, which comes at a huge risk of getting downed in one or two shots. The maximum range of each weapons when DPS is relevant:
    Lightning Hammer auto-attack (AA) chain: 150
    Lightning Whip (Dagger MH AA): 300
    Staff AA/ Lava Font: 600
    However, remember that no matter where you are, zerker ele is always high in the aggro list. So positioning yourself in the back doesn’t mean that the boss will not suddenly turn back to attack you. There is no safe spot.
  • Cleave is the next big thing to consider when stacking against a blob of mobs is required. Most of the time, failure to cleave trash mobs fast will result in a spike damage fatal to a zerk ele. Of all the weapons, scepter has no cleave and relies solely on conjure weapons such as LH and Ice bow. In this category, LH and dagger MH are inarguably the best.
  • Crowd Control is not limited to just knock down and knock back to remove stacks of Defiance. An active use of CC also includes applying chill, blindness, cripple and immobilization. Focus, LH and dagger MH offers more crowd control than the other counterparts. Scepter has two blinds, but they are single target and useless against boss. Staff CC is more effective against large mobs like in Ascalon Fractal, and need Ice bow as a complement DPS when swapping out of fire attunement.
  • Support exists with a zerker ele. We support by providing the best DPS boost via conjured weapons, the best ‘tank’ as in Earth Elemental, projectile destroying Swirling Wind and occasionally water field instead of fire field for healing and group wise condition removal.

Sadly, we cannot have all of these qualities in one single build. We have to sacrifice some to gain access to the others. Now, question yourself:

• Can you rely on your group mates’ reflection and aegis when stacking? If yes, go for maximum damage and number of conjure weapons. If no, take in the focus off hand, Arcane Shield and one more active damage mitigation skills such as Glyph of Power or Glyph of Storm.
  • Can you rely on your group mates’ condi cleanse when reflection is not necessary? If no, take Dagger OH for cleansing and a mobility burst.
  • Can you rely on your group mates’ CC? If yes, take a staff. If no, use dagger/focus or, in some situations, LH.
  • Does your group fail at meleeing boss? If yes, don’t use LH.
  • Does your group DPS is so high that everything dies fast yet you are still having troubles? Look at the combat log to see what attack kills you and stop using every long casting skills at your disposal or trying to stick in a set rotation. Use both Ice bow and LH, plus Arcane shield.

2. The Training Wheel:

• Build: 0/30/10/20/10 (Dagger/Focus/Fresh Air variation). Use water X for your master trait. Damage will be average, but you have a nice boost of vitality and condi cleanse at your convenience as well as Vigor on Crit (Arcana II). A fair warning, this one might not be accepted in a meta speedrun.
  • You can still use LH, just dont expect to camp with LH for damage. LH works better as an AOE blind + cleave.
  • Healing skills: Arcane Brilliane when stackings against a lot of mob and Signet of restoration/Glyph against boss
  • Utility skills:
    Signet of Fire at all time, swapped out when attacking structures.
    Arcane shields to protect yourself during FGS rush or block against massive pressure. I save it for break stun mostly.
    Mist form for skipping trash and to avoid fatal attack.
    Armor of Earth for short duration stability and protection.
    Glyph of Powers applies condition based on attunement. Best used in Fractals.
    Glyph of Storms: Sandstorm: 10 sec of applying aoe blinds. Lightning storms: massive aoe burst, best used in Fractals
    Signet of Earth: extra immobilization. Spam it on mobile bosses. Best used against Tar (arah p1) and fractal bosses.
    Earth Elemental: the manliest tank ever.
  • Sigil of Energy: It’s expensive, but well worth it.
  • Position: Always move through your enemy bosses to stay at their back. Keep doing so even when they try to face you. Some bosses have a huge cleave range and angle (like 270 degree or so) like Arch Diviner and Abom. You can also predict Lupi’s kick that way.
  • Last note: Never ever chicken out and range a boss at 1200 range while your whole group is meleeing.

(edited by IrisTheCasual.3742)

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

I’ll stick to the two build i use the most.

S/X + LH build and the Staff build.

The Staff build does higher dps and is easier to use, while the S/X + LH build give crazy might while not being too far being with the DPS.

I suggest to use the Staff build first. Why? Well with the S/X +LH build you have no place for any defensive skills (at least for most the time). You gonna use arcane brillance to blast (so very limited healing skill), while LH, Arcane Wave and Signet of Fire should take your 3 utilities slot. This is the ultimate squishy, especially since you gonna fight in melee range pretty much all the time.

The Staff on the other hand need to stay within 600 range to activate your 10% dmg modifier and be in range of most shout. Within 360 range to get blast finisher from other member of your party. So you have more room to move around, which like i said earlier, is one of the best defensive tool you have. Since this build don’t need LH, that free 1 utility slot for Arcane shield, a cantrip or a condi removal.

in Elementalist

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

I’m curious as to how you manage to survive better as thief, though. Do you spam S/P 5? Or do you spam/time S/P 3?

Because thieves are just as squishy (in fact, squishier…).

Do you use D/D thief?

I find it harder to survive as D/D thief than LH Ele because LH at least secures me a blind.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ryorco Marm.9580

Ryorco Marm.9580

Equip ‘Lava Tomb’ trait and take enemies down with you.
When you get rally, use all blast finishers before lava font disappears, pick up hammer and smash. Repeat.

in Elementalist

Posted by: chris.6583

chris.6583

berserker is difficult for autoattackers

in Elementalist

Posted by: Duran.3196

Duran.3196

Honest Advice?
Just finish your enemy before he gets the time to finish you.
In other words be faster.

#ELEtism

in Elementalist

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

The typical d/d build is 0/10/0/30/30. Other variants are 0/10/10/20/30 and 0/0/10/30/30, depending on how much condi removal you want and which boons you favor. These can also work well for support staff in WvW, with the high survivability needed when zerging or meleeing.

For PvE, however, they may be overkill in terms of survivability, especially with a skilled/organized group. In PvP/WvW, I prefer soldier’s stats, but you can swap out pieces for zerker as desired for PvE. I like to say, “build for utility, gear for offense.” You certainly won’t hit quite as hard, but it’s a decent balance that can still be supplemented by LH or FGS (pending welcome changes to the 4 skill).

And don’t forget that on-swap sigils synergize very well with ele’s attunement dance. I should mention that much of what’s available to eles is up for reevaluation giving the impending Feature Pack. Good luck.

(edited by Elestian.6134)

in Elementalist

shOOtstyle.8742

I’m curious as to how you manage to survive better as thief, though. Do you spam S/P 5? Or do you spam/time S/P 3?

Do you use D/D thief?

I find it harder to survive as D/D thief than LH Ele because LH at least secures me a blind.

I am playing a full glass Thief with D/D and S/P or SB depending on the sitiation. I do not find it hard to survive with this class because your dagger attacks so fast so your healing signet let you stay on maximum health all the time. Also its AA provides endurance regeneration so you can dodge a few times. But lets not go there and stick to the ele.

First, let me thank you again for your fast and nice answers. IrisTheCasual’s “short guide” had some interesting tips in it. Also the build choice looks quite good for me. I think I will try you this build with my D/F and also try to keep an eye on positioning and what you guys told me.

If I have some more questions later, I’ll let you guys know.
Thanks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Joseph.7213

Joseph.7213

My suggestion: Play S/F, 0/30/x/x/x, mix and match those last 40 points. You’ll do decent damage, and if you can kite well/manage attunement swapping, you can 1-shot mesmers and thieves.

My S/F ele has no problem holding out against bunker-guards, and you have enough AoE to ruin any spirit ranger’s day.

rip hopes and dreams for supported 3v3 arenas

in Elementalist

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

• Figure out all combos, interactions, semi-rotations, strengths, and actual cooldowns of/between all skills you’ve available
  • Learn how to execute all this very well

Result: You’re very hard to kill – much harder than any Warrior would be, i.e.

There is a very bight light @ the end of the tunnel.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

(edited by Phadde.7362)

in Elementalist

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

Know your enemy, know yourself, and victory will follow.

this is the best quote to explain how to play bers ele

in Elementalist

IrisTheCasual.3742

Do you use D/D thief?

I am playing a full glass Thief with D/D and S/P or SB depending on the sitiation. I do not find it hard to survive with this class because your dagger attacks so fast so your healing signet let you stay on maximum health all the time. Also its AA provides endurance regeneration so you can dodge a few times. But lets not go there and stick to the ele.

First, let me thank you again for your fast and nice answers. IrisTheCasual’s “short guide” had some interesting tips in it. Also the build choice looks quite good for me. I think I will try you this build with my D/F and also try to keep an eye on positioning and what you guys told me.

Thanks

Hmm… Sorry for writing it too ‘short’. Normally I wouldn’t even be bothered but you seem to be genuinely interested in playing the class (as a challenge), not asking for how to faceroll the content, nor just plainly complaining.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

win within 5 seconds.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Odin The Wanderer.1763

Odin The Wanderer.1763

I run berserkers, staff, cantrips, 30/20/10/0/10 I get melted by berserker thieves if I’m not careful but if they get melted pretty easily if they’re not careful either.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

For PvE/Fractals I run full berzerker + staff 30/20/0/10/10 (Blasting Staff instead of Stone Splinters, deal with it :P) with the keys to survival being:
> Don’t get hit
> Maintain maximum distance to give yourself max reaction time
> Use water field blasts and defensives

There are times where getting one-shotted is unavoidable because you’re out of cooldowns/dodge, in which case all you can do is hope there are rally sources (low-hp mobs) OR wait for a res. It’s just how Ele’s are, get used to it. We are not Warriors with endless room for error.

At higher level fractals Ele’s start getting one-shotted regardless of build so you might as well do some decent damage before you die, the fight only ends when the boss goes down

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

30/30/0/0/10 Fire/glyph staff full asc zerk, only way I feel comfy 3×20% might rune (strength rune after patch). might ain’t no problem

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

in Elementalist

shOOtstyle.8742

Do you use D/D thief?

Thanks

Hmm… Sorry for writing it too ‘short’. Normally I wouldn’t even be bothered but you seem to be genuinely interested in playing the class (as a challenge), not asking for how to faceroll the content, nor just plainly complaining.

It wasn’t too short, it was meant a bit ironic cause i find this guide quite long for a simple question like this. :P

Anyways I testes my ele in most of the dungeons today again with a D/F build. I used a more offensive version of what you mentioned but all in all I was pretty statisfied with myself. Sure, I am not even closely a pro ele so I got downed several times as well but it felt way more comfortable than before. The thing about positioning was a very bug help for me and also the defensive use of the focus such as earth #4 and #5 helped me a lot. (Note: I am playing D/F 30/30/10/0/0 right now) It seems like a Staff build is also very viable when there are other no-staff eles in the group.

I will stick to my ele to get some more combos and tricks about the class but as always:
Thank you very much for your replies, they helped me a lot

in Elementalist

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

Honestly, Ele is even easier to play than my Warrior. Being able to do all of your DPS at a distance alone makes the class a breeze. With my Warrior, I need to go face to face with the boss, and even if I don’t have aggro, I can still get hit with ApE. This I’d not a problem for Eles.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Ha ha ha. Ha. Ha. Ha…

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Hey Guys,
I have been playing my Elemantalist quite a while, so I decided one month ago to get him some Berserker Gear. I tried likely every build (Staff, S/D, S/F, D/F, D/F) but often I cant survive like 5 seconds in a fight. Do you guys have some improvement tips for me?
Greets

PS: Normally I am playing a Berserker Thief, so I know what a glassy class is, but it is not as nearly the same as playing a Thief

Thief is not glassy, thief has medium armor and more base health plus stealth. Elementalist has light armor, lowest base health and no survivability mechanic.
Also don’t have any blocking skills, just a few high CD invuln spells.

As for zerker ele, Staff, S/F and stay far behind, time your invuln and heal as much as possible as soon as possible. Time your dodges and l2p
Staff 4 in fire is a handy extra dodge if you need it. It can also work for damage when opponnent is up against the wall. It just takes skill to land.

in Elementalist

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

Hey Guys,
Greets

Thief is not glassy, thief has medium armor and more base health plus stealth. Elementalist has light armor, lowest base health and no survivability mechanic.

As for zerker ele, Staff, S/F and stay far behind, time your invuln and heal as much as possible as soon as possible. Time your dodges and l2p
Staff 4 in fire is a handy extra dodge if you need it. It can also work for damage when opponnent is up against the wall. It just takes skill to land.

bad advice. sceptre/focus is not to be used as a main weapon set in PVE, as its autoattack damage is abysmal. use it for might-stacking before using a conjured lightning hammer.

you should also be <600 range because of stone splinters damage modifier.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Hey Guys,
Greets

bad advice. sceptre/focus is not to be used as a main weapon set in PVE, as its autoattack damage is abysmal. use it for might-stacking before using a conjured lightning hammer.

if y’r going berserker ele I thought using a lightning hammer/FGS/Frost bow was standard since its the only way we can do decent damage, the S/F is merely for when y’r in trouble and need to survive with the extra toughness in scepter earth and as you said the might stacking and interrupts and blinds. Though the blinds are only ever usefull in 1v1’s

in Elementalist

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

Hey Guys,
Greets

if y’r going berserker ele I thought using a lightning hammer/FGS/Frost bow was standard since its the only way we can do decent damage, the S/F is merely for when y’r in trouble and need to survive with the extra toughness in scepter earth and as you said the might stacking and interrupts and blinds. Though the blinds are only ever usefull in 1v1’s

fire staff 30/x/10/10/x is superior DPS to LH. LH builds are very good utility though.

and in any case, you can’t hang back with LH (or FGS if you’re using it properly)

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

Eh, Thief don’t have more base hp as the Ele. They have Exactly the same amount, just saying.

Also Elementalist have 1 Blocking skills (arcane shield). The profession that have not blocking skill is Necro. The Ele invulnerable spells are in part with most of these kind of skill of all profession. Most profession have 2-4sec invulnerability on a 60sec CD. The ele have two 3-4sec skill on a 50-75sec CD.