Best choice for two eles in dungeon/fractal?

in Elementalist

Posted by: saya.2197

saya.2197

I usually use D/F in fractals and S/F in dungeons. I’ve heard that staff is great for the second ele in group, but how to maximize might/fury/utilities and whatever for two eles? What’s the best weapon set/build?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

First of all after playing around I’ve found that it’s always best to use staff unless you need more defensive utility (blocks, condition cleanse) because you want to avoid swapping off of fire as much as possible.

Ideally with two eles, one of you two would be using LH due to the fact that every third hit on LH’s autoattack chain is a blast finisher, but it really depends on the circumstance because sometimes LH is a trash weapon depending on the encounter.

For staff the optimal build for DPS in fast groups is typically 66200 because of the fact that lots of speedclear groups deep freeze bosses (ice bow #5), and you can take Tempest Defense grandmaster trait for 20% more damage against stunned fows. If a boss isn’t deep freezed, the absolute best trait setup you can take along would be 64220. Otherwise, 62222 is an incredibly powerful getup but you’ll need signet of fire with only two trait points in air. Alternatively, 64202 is a versatile staff trait setup for pugs that’ll make it easier for people to blast in your lava fonts and make your meteor showers hit more.

For the D/F \ S/F ele that’s using LH, they’ll want to be using 66200 or possibly 66002 if they’re afraid of goofing up and will need more endurance from renewing stamina. The reason they don’t have as many trait point variations is because at least one ele should be using weak spot to contribute to vulnerability stacking on bosses (though with the recent glyph of storms buff and warrior mace offhand buff it isn’t as necessary now in groups). Along with that, it makes it much easier on an ele that isn’t using staff to have the fresh air trait so that they can always make sure they keep their +10% damage modifier in air after they are done with their might stacking rotations.

Staff traits:

6 (VI VII XI)
6 (VI VII XI)
2 (VI)

6 (VI VII XI)
4 (VI VII)
2 (VI)
2 (VI)

6 (VI VII XI)
2 (VI)
2 (VI)
2 (VI)
2 (V)

6 (VI VII XI)
4 (VI VII)
2 (VI)
2 (V)

D/F & S/F traits:

6 (V II XI)
6 (VI X XII)
2 (VI)

6 (V II XI)
6 (VI X XII)
2 (II)

Note: if you for whatever reason are not using LH for anything, swap out II in fire magic for VII or VI (I keep it on VII because internal fire isn’t very useful when I’m using air training).

Also with 100% scholar bonus uptime and permanent 25 might and fury, scholar is ~7% personal damage increase over strength runes, but strength runes ends up being better DPS provided you’re able to maintain 8 stacks of might or more with it. Scholar typically is the better set for staff eles because of the fact that they are very infrequently blasting themselves might and normally have to rely on the aid of others blasting in their lava fonts.

In fractals (especially levels 40 and 50 with the mistlock instability of agony ticking periodically while in combat) it’s very impractical to maintain 100% scholar uptime so it’s normally best, or at least much easier, for the ele to just use strength runes for there. In dungeons it’s pretty much always best to use scholar runes if the group is good.

Pick and choose what you want. :P

(edited by Purple Miku.7032)

in Elementalist

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

1 ele going for might stacking and lightning hammer while the other ele goes just full dmg with a staff is a very good combo since the lh ele can blast the fields the staff ele places.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Snowball.3497

Snowball.3497

I wrote this post with only fractals in mind, for dungeons LH is very useful and other replies (Miku’s <3) can be read for advices.

I’m currently working on video guides of all different fractals.

I wouldn’t recommend LH for many fights in fractals due to that you either have to interrupt the AA by dodging or you’ll be locked out of LH because it wont be recharged for the second fight. I know its very popular to stay close to the theory, and on paper LH looks great. My personal opinion is however that there are very few fights in fractals where LH > D/F in practice.

Generally swap frequently between all of your different sets to bring what is needed for the next fight.
In my guild we believe 2 ele’s are part of the meta compositions in fractals. Usually the second ele brings (close to) the same build as the first one, remember just because you’re the second ele doesn’t mean you should staff mossman. There’s also fights where both eles should be staff.

To tl;dr my unstructured thoughts; Bring what the group needs. Generally the second ele can go staff given that the might is kept high. However, this does not mean always.

Particlar – Desolation – [Hs]
World First Wurm KillRaid Sells on Twitch
Origin of Diboof

in Elementalist

Purple Miku.7032

Particlar #1 ele!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

With my guild we have 1 S/F + LH elementalist. He blast might and use LH for dps. The second Elementalist use staff with persisting flames to blast a bit of might, but mainly fury and provide a constant fire field for the other Ele to blast with LH auto-attack. With rune of strength on the S/F ele, that maintain 25 stack of might and permanent fury without much help from the rest of the group. With rune of the scholar, the warrior and thief can help blast might.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Elementalist

Purple Miku.7032

With rune of the scholar, the warrior and thief can help blast might.

How do scholar runes have anything to do with whether or not a warrior and thief can help blast might? o_O

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

With rune of the scholar, the warrior and thief can help blast might.

How do scholar runes have anything to do with whether or not a warrior and thief can help blast might? o_O

We don’t need them to blast if we have rune of strength. We need them to blast if we have rune of scholar.

It doesn’t change if they can or not. It change if they need or not.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD