Best direction for sceptor?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

Anet seems to have an interest in improving scepter’s burst potential by increasing damage and lowering cast delays, but I feel like this is a step sideways, and it isn’t working out that well so far. I would much rather see scepter’s offensive support get buffs. Something like:

1. Increase the radius of Dragon’s Tooth, Shatterstone and Water Trident. Make Dragon’s Tooth and Shatterstone unblockable.
2. Have water trident remove a condition
3. Make rock barrier block the next 3 attacks, and deal damage / cripple on last block (similar to arcane shield). Increase the CD of course
4. Blinding Flash should hit at least 3 targets for a skill with no damage

But I’m no expert. Should Anet focus on burst? Condition? I’m curious to see what other ele mains think

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Scepter/x ele is pretty decent in pvp. Its mostly outshined by other dps classes in 1v1 scenerios.

The biggest thing isn’t the scepter itself but traits/utilities to go with it.

For me I like going Air/water/arcane or air/water/fire.

The best way for them to buff fire trait line to support scepter builds would be to buff burning precision to a 100% chance to burn and reduce the CD from blinding ashes to 5s. This pretty much guarentees 1 blind every 5 seconds, which is very helpful in 1v1 scenerios.

As far as the arcane traitline goes, they need to buff traits to better synergize with arcane utilities.

Arcane shield for example can be broken by a revenent or a thief in less than a second. Simply making it unpoppable and lasting a full 3 seconds would make it more useful. Also reduce its cooldown to 50s (and the trait too).

I posted some suggested changes in another forum post that better touches up on my thoughts of ele as a whole.

Fresh air builds being somewhat weak to conditions is a fair tradeoff, but it needs a fighting chance vs other dps builds, namely theif and revenent.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Alex Shatter.7956

Scepter/x ele is pretty decent in pvp. Its mostly outshined by other dps classes in 1v1 scenerios.

The best way for them to buff fire trait line to support scepter builds would be to buff burning precision to a 100% chance to burn and reduce the CD from blinding ashes to 5s. This pretty much guarentees 1 blind every 5 seconds, which is very helpful in 1v1 scenerios.

As far as the arcane traitline goes, they need to buff traits to better synergize with arcane utilities.

Arcane shield for example can be broken by a revenent or a thief in less than a second. Simply making it unpoppable and lasting a full 3 seconds would make it more useful. Also reduce its cooldown to 50s (and the trait too).

I posted some suggested changes in another forum post that better touches up on my thoughts of ele as a whole.

Fresh air builds being somewhat weak to conditions is a fair tradeoff, but it needs a fighting chance vs other dps builds, namely theif and revenent.

what is scepter good for in PvP? The burst isn’t nearly as efficient as dagger when players can dodge Dragon Tooth

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

what is scepter good for in PvP? The burst isn’t nearly as efficient as dagger when players can dodge Dragon Tooth

dragons tooth is one of the best skills on a downed target for one. 2nd your burst rotation is very strong even if dragons tooth misses. You will land dragons tooth most often if you do a knockdown (gale is very good since its unblockable) and the enemy is out of dodges. Try to time the knockdown right after a 2nd dodgeroll if they don’t have vigor up and you will almost always hit your mark.

Scepter burst is far superior to dagger burst for the simple fact that you can do it from a safe distance.

And if you are playing tempest fresh air you can spam air overload.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Alex Shatter.7956

dragons tooth is one of the best skills on a downed target for one. 2nd your burst rotation is very strong even if dragons tooth misses. You will land dragons tooth most often if you do a knockdown (gale is very good since its unblockable) and the enemy is out of dodges. Try to time the knockdown right after a 2nd dodgeroll if they don’t have vigor up and you will almost always hit your mark.

Scepter burst is far superior to dagger burst for the simple fact that you can do it from a safe distance.

And if you are playing tempest fresh air you can spam air overload.

Interesting. What do you think is better? Fresh air or a bolt to the heart? I can never choose

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

In pvp fresh air. The buff the air auto attack helps a lot with the sustain dps issue scepter has. Scepter Air overload is more powerful than dagger overload because with scepter you can use 2 and 3 while overloading. When traited with cd reduction you can hit your lighting strike (2 skill) twice during air overload.

I would only use bolt to the heart in pve. Lightning Rod and Fresh Air are better for pvp. The condition build for scepter one just camps earth and their is a viper build that uses fire/earth overloads for conditions. The earth focus condition scepter build is ok but its lacking something. I have not tried the other build.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Agrre. Burning precision, blinding ashes and one with fire buffed will support fire eles greatly.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Freaklund.7086

Freaklund.7086

I will be taking a strictly PvE perspective.

Scepter in my eyes could stand to have some improved diversity in condi damage – bleeds and burns are in and of themselves fine, but they are found in the fire and earth attunements respectively (not counting offhands, utilities, and secondary sources like sigils). The other two are sort of left hanging.

With that in mind I would suggest some changes:

Ice Shards (Water 1): Inflicts 1 stack of Torment (4 sec) per hit, for a total of 3 stacks when all 3 icicles hit.

Shatterstone (Water 2): Instead of the 5 vulnerability stacks, the explosion now inflicts 3 stacks of bleeding (similar to the Icebrood Elementals´ version) and 2 seconds of chill. Would also be nice if the sound effect was updated to reflect the shorter animation.

Arc Lightning (Air 1): At the final hit of stage 1, inflicts 1 stack of confusion (3 sec). At the final hit of stage 2, inflicts 1 stack of confusion (5 sec). At the final hit of stage 3, inflicts 2 stacks of confusion (8 sec).

in Elementalist

FrownyClown.8402

So you want condtions on all scepter auto attacks?

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Alex Shatter.7956

I will be taking a strictly PvE perspective.

Scepter in my eyes could stand to have some improved diversity in condi damage – bleeds and burns are in and of themselves fine, but they are found in the fire and earth attunements respectively (not counting offhands, utilities, and secondary sources like sigils). The other two are sort of left hanging.

With that in mind I would suggest some changes:

Ice Shards (Water 1): Inflicts 1 stack of Torment (4 sec) per hit, for a total of 3 stacks when all 3 icicles hit.

Shatterstone (Water 2): Instead of the 5 vulnerability stacks, the explosion now inflicts 3 stacks of bleeding (similar to the Icebrood Elementals´ version) and 2 seconds of chill. Would also be nice if the sound effect was updated to reflect the shorter animation.

Arc Lightning (Air 1): At the final hit of stage 1, inflicts 1 stack of confusion (3 sec). At the final hit of stage 2, inflicts 1 stack of confusion (5 sec). At the final hit of stage 3, inflicts 2 stacks of confusion (8 sec).

I feel like adding confusion and torment to elementalist skills would be out of character, and would kitten off the mesmers and revenants. I think the best option for a condition elementalist build would be a new elite specialization. Poison could come from smog based fire attacks, or confusion could be somehow made into an air / water thing (a rehashing of Mind Freeze and Mind Shock from GW1, perhaps).

(edited by Alex Shatter.7956)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

Best direction for scepter is the general direction of a trash can lol. That is just my opinion as a person who mains ele with dagger/warhorn. Scepter just doesn’t do enough for me.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in Elementalist

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

To be honest, trust me I’m not joking about it, shatterstone now is kinda ok and doesn’t need a bigger radius. Dragon thoot also doesn’t need bigger radius and for me have cast time and aftercast time reducted would be 100x better than make it unblockable.
Rock barrier would be better with a toughness buff, the block idea could be also nice.
I agree for blinding flash.
I would love a cooldown reduction on lighing flash, like 30sec default.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Posted by: Freaklund.7086

Freaklund.7086

I feel like adding confusion and torment to elementalist skills would be out of character, and would kitten off the mesmers and revenants. I think the best option for a condition elementalist build would be a new elite specialization. Poison could come from smog based fire attacks, or confusion could be somehow made into an air / water thing (a rehashing of Mind Freeze and Mind Shock from GW1, perhaps).

Would it be out of character? Perhaps.

But I don’t see how the potential irritation of mesmers and revenants would matter. Yes, confusion and torment are the main conditions of the respective classes, but they don’t have a monopoly on it. Thieves can venomshare torment with Skale Venom and Throw Gunk is a relatively frequent stolen skill that gives access to confusion. Engineers have Pistol 3, Bomb Kit 3, and Tool Kit 3 for confusion. Mesmers can torment with the first two attacks of their scepter auto and Scepter 2 (on block). That is not a full list, and this is before we delve into traits.

I will say this though, I’m not married to the idea of Arc Lightning getting confusion. The thought behind the suggestion was to give me some reason to maintain the full channel. But it won’t fix the quality-of-design problem that Air Scepter has, in my opinion.

The idea of an condi-oriented elite spec is definitely nice for sure, but I think there is (or should be) potential to have a solid condi damage option without it.