Camping - spec's and potential

in Elementalist

Posted by: Phyrak.7260

Phyrak.7260

Hey all,

I’ve been on the forums a while

There is a lot of talk against and for camping into a single element

There is the gw1 basket wherein you can stay in a single element and do a ton of damage – ref ice shards (I think)

There is the gw2 basket – made for switching and swapping

With the new Elite specs – with the F5
Perhaps have the core F1-4 would be your basic select
F5: boost said element to a superior potential/maybe combine with arcane?

What are your thoughts on how this could work?

Potential utilities?
IMO – I’m thinking warrior physicals
Maybe bow or GS as spec weapon

What of minor traits?
What are your thoughts on their potential and how thy could work?

-Phyrak

in Elementalist

Posted by: Phyrak.7260

Phyrak.7260

Some 100+ views…

C’mon peoples – give potential a shot!

Perhaps camping in elements as a spec could give a bit more meshing

Eg. Fire – become more condi based
- toxic smoke: poison on blind
- foggy mind: confusion on bling
- tormenting flames: apply torment on burn

Minor 1: gain x weapon and y utility
Major a, ab, ac
Minor 2: gain an additional dimension to the ele you are in (fire~>condi)
Major bb, bc, bd
Minor 3: gain an additional stat boost – like that of jugganuat for engi
Major cc, cd, ce

Thoughts and ideas welcome!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Very very against any camping of any sort. I think that it removes all of the identity of the Guild Wars 2 elementalist and I would love it if people stopped asking for it and that the devs would remove/rework the traits that allow it.

My 0.2c

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

Maybe in a future elite spec in order to honor the old GW1 ele, but in general i’m against camping.

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I think the ONLY proper implementation of “camping” an element they have introduced (and worked) was “fresh air,” because it gives you access to all your air skills pretty much any time, while your other attunements can be used “as needed.” The long CD for every other spec becomes prohibitive for an “X-main” elementalist, with the exception of fire-camping in pve (which is very boring, imo). More implementations like this would be great, but I have lost all faith in the ele dev. team to implement anything truly fun, exciting, and rewarding for this class.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Camping options should not be bad. But they should be options just to give more build diversity. And camping must not mean you never hit the F keys … Even when you stay in one element most of the time it is viable to rotate.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Camping a single attunement already works in PvE. Stay in Fire Attunement and spam Lava Font to do massive AoE damage.

The talk against it is mainly how boring it is to some people, but in terms of how well it works in PvE, it’s already very good.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Camping a single attunement already works in PvE. Stay in Fire Attunement and spam Lava Font to do massive AoE damage.

The talk against it is mainly how boring it is to some people, but in terms of how well it works in PvE, it’s already very good.

No one is saying it isn’t effective at this time, just that we (whoever agrees with my PoV) believe that it shouldn’t be promoted or effective.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Camping in one attunement will never work for elementalist in pvp, it’s just not possible. The class is designed the way it has access to different important cooldowns in different attunements. Since ele has lowest hp pool and armour and it heavily depends on healing, boons and cooldowns, it is really crucial to be able to switch between those attunements. For fresh air has defensive cooldowns in earth, healing in water and damage in fire + air, as other ele builds with the difference of not being dependant on Obsidian Flesh. All the attunements also have situational utility skills you will have to use at certain times and I can assure you that you can never go into a fight when you won’t need water or earth in pvp. You obviously spend more time in air and fire, but that’s far from camping an attunement.

It’s also completely against the idea of the class, it was never meant to be to be able to do so and get away with it. It works in pve, since gw2’s pve is just easy and casual and you don’t really need your deffensive cooldowns or much of healing. The idea of some traits they’re bringing is just bad. They shouldn’t encourage players to stay in one attunement to just survive. I also don’t think elementalist in gw2 can be anything like it was in gw1, now it depends on the synergy the attunements have while in gw1 your spec revolved around one specific type of skills. Since gw2 has no trinity and every class has to be able to survive on its own, it’s far from possible for ele to be able to survive if it camps fire or air.

And frankly, I don’t really like the idea. The reason why I play elementalist is its complexity and if I wanted to camp certain set of skills, I would play something else. I’m not saying that classes of this type as you have mage in wow or ele in gw1 are bad, but ele in gw2 is unique and without completely revamping the profession it’s not a good idea to encourage camping an attunement.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

No one is saying it isn’t effective at this time, just that we (whoever agrees with my PoV) believe that it shouldn’t be promoted or effective.

I was inferring that based upon the OP’s posts and topic that the OP was implying that Element-Camping didn’t work or wasn’t effective, and I was stating that it already is. I mean, if someone posted saying “Elementalists that try to use all 4 attunements need more specs and potential”, my natural response would be to say that such a playstyle already exists in the game and is good.

I will admit that if the OP was talking about WvW or PvP then the OP would be a bit more right. However, since the OP didn’t specify a game mode in their original post (which for some reason no one seems to do…), I made the assumption that it was a PvE post, since that seems to be the default for posts like this.

(edited by Neko.9021)