Casual PvE Air/Earth/Tempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

This is not for Dungeons or Fractals or Raids. This is just for those who are struggling to survive in the new maps and want a survivable and easy build that tags well.

The Tempest offers a new playstyle in PvE in perhaps one of the easiest to run builds ever. I present to you my build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBIhdSfJUgJ2fJYhJwhJWaAM3J7m9zOsC6AhQhCQA4DC-TxRGABA8gAGS5HI7PQmeCDOhAAq+jUKBJFQgTtA-e

(The editor is not up to date, and “Earthen Proxy” should actually be the trait “Invigorating Torrents”)

This build offers effectively 100% uptime on yourself of all of the following boons:
-Swiftness
-Fury
-Protection
-Regeneration
-Vigor
-Might (often near 25)

The build relies on the fact that the new shouts make it easier to give yourself more auras. Combine this with the fact that overloading also gives you some boons, and with the longer boon duration from Imbued Melodies (Warhorn Trait) + Bountiful Sharpening Stones + Fried Golden Dumplings, you can easily sustain permanent Protection on yourself.

The advantage of this build over other bunker style specs is that it still has very good sustain, even in Berserker gear, mainly due to the easy access to Perma Regen and the fact that “Wash the Pain Away” is a very strong heal (and also great team support if running around with friends!) Furthermore, your earth trait “Geomancer’s Defense”, gives you 10% damage mitigation against nearby foes. Combine this with Hardy Conduit (+7% to Protection damage mitigation), and you are essentially always taking 50% less damage from everything.

This build is also team friendly, giving quite a few boons to allies whenever you use your shouts, and also able to break stun with “Eye of the Storm!”, and if your teammates need a heal, using your Heal Shout to heal them can often save them quite a bit.

(In fact, this build would be really great if Heat Sync actually DID something -_-)

Regardless, I think this is a great casual build to run around with if you’re finding it hard to survive. Also, running around with perma boons is really fun.

The main way you will play this build is trying to get off Air Overload as much as you can. Use Lightning Whip for general sustained damage and waiting for Air Overload. Once you complete an Air Overload, swap attunements, use some skills, and go back to Air Overload. This refreshes the cooldown of Air Overload, and allows you to use it again in 6 seconds. This allows the build to maintain somewhat respectable damage despite taking so many defensive traits.

Overall, I suggest this build to anyone who wants to get some use out of their new Tempest line, and just wants a relaxing stroll through the new maps, without having to take forever to kill everything.

(edited by Neko.9021)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shuai.7435

Shuai.7435

Hmm, I’m running something similar myself, with the major difference being alot more focus on auras (tempest (3/2/3)) and water instead of earth due to the otherwise complete lack of condi removal (whereas you already get pretty decent protection uptime from overloading air all the time). Oh and I use D/D because ride the lightning is awesome for getting around.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

The synergy between Earth, Tempest and Shouts/Warhorn is phenomenal when it comes to defense. I suspect it can even make Marauder amulet viable in PvP.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

I’ve been playing in VB with this build… it is VERY effective. Even though its bunkerish, the damage isn’t bad and mobs die fast.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shadowflare.2759

Shadowflare.2759

Hmm, I’m running something similar myself, with the major difference being alot more focus on auras (tempest (3/2/3)) and water instead of earth due to the otherwise complete lack of condi removal (whereas you already get pretty decent protection uptime from overloading air all the time). Oh and I use D/D because ride the lightning is awesome for getting around.

How would you get protection from overloading air if you don’t have the earth traitline at all?

in Elementalist

Neko.9021

How would you get protection from overloading air if you don’t have the earth traitline at all?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hardy_Conduit

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shadowflare.2759

Shadowflare.2759

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hardy_Conduit

Right, totally slipped my mind for a moment. I was thinking of having protection outside of actual overload, since hardy conduit doesn’t really last long.

in Elementalist

Posted by: The Great Al.2546

The Great Al.2546

How are you maintaining 25 stacks of might with this?

in Elementalist

Neko.9021

Fried Golden Dumplings have no ICD and can proc frequently off of your Air Overload. Strength Sigil also helps.

You can Overload Fire for more Might.

You can blast finish your Fire fields with Water 3 and Earth 4.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

I just haven’t actually seen a reason to run this heavy of a bunker build in the new content, because the increase in protection from tempest and the dmg output from the overloads is more than enough to kill stuff really fast before it kills you.

Here is what I run…

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAGnMIC9XiNNA0RgFBAzt1ObztBBgCwBQYDECSBA-TxRGABA8gAGS5Xgq/Ay+DkpjwgLIgUKBBA-e

The third slot is empty for a reason. You gotta swap it out based on what you are fighting. Like those annoying archers who evade on ranged attacks require the reflect shout. Charge based mobs need lighting flash.

The trick is to be patient, wait on your cooldowns and engage groups of mobs based on what cooldowns you have available. You also really need to have some soldier’s gear in the mix. I go with all soldier’s armor and berserker’s everything else.

The ideal scenario is to already be in fire with overload up and your fire shout on cd. You engage the group or mob, drop the lava font as you get them to stack, pop your shout for fire aura and fury, fire overload and then arcane brilliance the fire field at the end.

I’ve easily decimated 2-3 veterans at once with this combo without taking much damage, because the protection from the overload provides such heavy mitigation.

Alternative combos are start in earth, overload into the group to stack protection, gylph of storms for the blind, switch to fire, lava font, situational arcane brilliance if you health requires it, meteor shower, lava font if anything is still alive.

You can also swap into fire, lava font, meteor shower and then overload when meteor shower is done, but this is a far more risky combination, because you will be taking a lot of damaage while channeling meteor shower.

Starting in air with overload off CD works too, because it does a lot of damage, but keep in mind, you will most likely have to swap to fire to finish them off and your protection will be gone at this point. Fire is ideal, because you can stack your AoEs and overload before the mobs really start to damage so it’s mitigated by your protection.

Charge mobs are a bit tricky, because they don’t stand still to execute the combo, so you mostly have to slowly kite them.

Champions and legendaries usually require staying at range and waiting to execute your overload in between their powerful attacks. You don’t HAVE to risk this; it’s a group fight and the fire and air spec alone give you enough ranged dps to contribute.

Gylph of elementals is for when you have to fight at ranged. Having Earth to tank something is great.

The biggest problem I have had so far is killing myself due to a lack of situational awareness or not fully understanding the AI and abilities of the mob I was engaging.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

But…why?

/15tearsfortempest

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

For HoT PvE just try this.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWnMIC9XiFOA2NA0RgFBAzd1GbztBBgCwDQYDECSBA-TBiAAB+pj4iDEglKBhZ/BNV/BgHAgXK/64ACAA-e

Note that :
- the build editor ain’t up to date, the important trait is the trait that replace earthen proxy and instead give you vigor and regen when you apply an aura.
- You should just camp in fire and switch only when you are in dire need.
- I’m playing this thing in full zerk and I have no issue with : sustaining myself, ramping up to 25 might or killing mob. But ultimately, I’d want to play it with the hybrid armor like I played it in the beta. Condition are really effective in the HoT PvE and a fire tempest inflict a lot of burn.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rannulf.9417

Rannulf.9417

Op can u try and link a diffrent build website i can’t see what it is because it’s not displaying well.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

That website is horrendously broken

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I recognized you have to use the english version for the builder ….

in Elementalist

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

This is not for Dungeons or Fractals or Raids. This is just for those who are struggling to survive in the new maps and want a survivable and easy build that tags well.

The Tempest offers a new playstyle in PvE in perhaps one of the easiest to run builds ever. I present to you my build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBIhdSfJUgJ2fJYhJwhJWaAM3J7m9zOsC6AhQhCQA4DC-TxRGABA8gAGS5HI7PQmeCDOhAAq+jUKBJFQgTtA-e

I just tested out this build and I have to say: I love it.
Maintaining protection without food is sometimes a liiittle problem but otherwise its awesome. Keeping up 25 stacks of might all by yourself and then sharing it to the group is really fun. A total of -60% dmg when in close combat (protection, earth trait, frost aura), 24/7 regeneration and vigor. It lacks a bit of damage in comparison to my old build with Glyph of Storms and Frostbow but the focus here is on surviving.

I can recommend it to everyone going melee and struggling with staying alive.

(edited by DirtyDan.4759)

in Elementalist

Neko.9021

Lol, I’m amazed you were even able to find this post from about a year ago. Still, I’m glad you like what my past self a year ago came up with.

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

dagger isn’t a melee weapon (2 of the auto attacks are projectiles actually).

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in Elementalist

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

Lol, I’m amazed you were even able to find this post from about a year ago. Still, I’m glad you like what my past self a year ago came up with.

I googled gw2 tempest earth and this thread was the 3rd result.

…..are you serious? Staff has 1200 range skills, scepter 900, dagger 240.
Ele has on dagger air the strongest (melee) auto attack in the game.

in Elementalist

Posted by: skarpak.8594

skarpak.8594

well, he is right, even tho you can play every weapon as “melee” weapon, dagger has a 400 / 600 / 300 / 300 range on auto attacks.

all melee attacks besides guardian sword and ranger greatsword which have 150 range, have 130 range.
but well yeah, you still have to be somewhat in close range to hit. but i dunno if i would count that under melee.

(edited by skarpak.8594)

in Elementalist

Posted by: FeralOne.1093

FeralOne.1093

I googled gw2 tempest earth and this thread was the 3rd result.

Yep, I just came upon this when I goggled tempest builds and I love it too. I am old and slow and just came back to game after 6 months so I’m trying to relearn classes. My Ele is not my main and I REALLY had no idea how to play with the staff set-up I had so I thought I might as well try something new before I “relearn” the old set-up. This build is fun! I currently have no fear of getting in close range as I experience the new Fen area.

Thanks so much!

in Elementalist

Posted by: fourhim.3584

fourhim.3584

Hey there, I’m working on leveling my Elementalist right now. What trait line would you take instead of Tempest while on your way there? I’d like to use this same gear along the way, if possible, since I’m low on funds.

Will I get killed a lot in HOT using a trait other than Tempest? Thanks.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shadwyll.8549

Shadwyll.8549

Prior to Tempest, the usual trait line is Arcane; you should be able to do it with Fire for all the burning. Like, Burning Precision, One With Fire and Persisting Flames.

I’m experimenting with a similar build, but it’s Dagger/Focus to give easy access to more auras (and Obsidian Skin, Fire Shield, Magnetic Aura). I’m still using the Shouts. Literally, the only changes I see are: Focus instead of Warhorn. Tempest is Unstable Conduit (more auras), Invigorating Torrents for Regen and Vigor and Elemental Bastion for another auto aura when low on Health.

Neko was just ahead of the times xD

in Elementalist

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

I don’t say this often, but thanks for necroing this thread! I think I will enjoy playing this build or something similar to it!

in Elementalist

Posted by: fourhim.3584

fourhim.3584

OK, I just got Tempest, finally. I have the gear and even the food.

Can someone please explain the “rotation”, or what exactly I should be doing as I run around HOT content now? I can also go Dagger/Focus if that works better.

I just need to know how to keep all these buffs up at the same time, if possible. I also don’t really understand the “overload” stuff yet

Thanks again.