Cleric Spec Ele [Advanced Healing Questions]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aphrodesiac.2913

Aphrodesiac.2913

Q:

Hi friends! I’m a sorta new-ish player (2 weeks now) and have settles completely on cleric elementalist build. After some running around and testing of my own, I’ve set my traits to 0/0/2/6/6 and love it so far.

I’m looking for any eles that specialize in healing higher level content involving but not limited to: Fractals (20-50), Arah, and other difficult content (compared to things like TA or what not).

- Should I be saving my dodge roll heals to combo with my water attunement switch heal?

- Should I save Healing Rain for when my party drops really low then A. Brilliance to blast it?

- Is there any rule of thumb for when it’s safe to switch out of water? I think I get paranoid that if I swap to something else, my team mates might die.

- Are there any well known/skilled healing eles I should know about? And are there any videos?

Thanks in advance!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eucalyptus.9784

Eucalyptus.9784

I think the biggest advice you can be given right now is: Don’t focus on just being a healer.

The cool part about GW2, is that there is no “Holy Trinity”, or Tank/Healer/DPS. There are certain classes that are definitely better at some roles than others, but you don’t need a designated healer for dungeons/content usually.

Sure, it’s great that you specialize in water traits to boost your healing potential. But by not DPS’ing at all and sitting in water the whole time, you’re actually making the fight take a lot longer, thus making your party take MORE damage, thus making your extra healing potential kind of useless.

So with that, I’m sure your build is good, and your gear can have a decent amount of healing power, but don’t neglect power. If people are dying in Arah, or even mid level (20-30) Fractals, usually it’s their own fault and there’s no amount of healing you can do to save them.

Hybrid PU Clone Spam Build – Chaos Clones

in Elementalist

Aphrodesiac.2913

I had a falling out with my guild about your first statement. I do do more dps now but I just hate seeing people drop like flies as soon as I switch :/

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

healing power is worthless

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

I had a falling out with my guild about your first statement. I do do more dps now but I just hate seeing people drop like flies as soon as I switch :/

If this is in PvE, it’s your allies that are at fault, not you – dodges are very powerful in this game, and the majority of dangerous PvE foes have well-telegraphed attacks that players familiar with them can dodge reliably.

I’d definitely not discourage you from bringing some healing power (since a well-placed burst of healing can really save your team in a fight), and your trait distribution (0/0/2/6/6) is pretty common, but in PvE it’s definitely preferable to bring mostly damage-dealing stats on your gear, and for your party to learn the tells/animations of the foes you’re facing.

in Elementalist

Aphrodesiac.2913

Alrighty. So no matter how I look at it, healers are, for the most part, not as important as just being a damage dealer. I’ll start looking into other builds at least then. Thanks for all of the replies.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

You can try zealot stuff. You keep a very good healing output without sacrifying to much from the offense. But this stuff is pretty expensive.

Everything else has already beeing said.

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

I generally keep a set of healing power in my inventory. Pugs are.. well.. Less than optimal sometimes. So i generally just say “F it!” and go full healing. Generally works quite well i might add and isnt really as useless as some people think. All depends on the group and situation. Fractal level 681234890618976518724 might not be the ideal place, but honestly, if people are dying in random exp dungeons, they need a healer, not more DPS.

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt