Condition duration questions

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aure.6435

Aure.6435

Q:

Hi,
question about increasing condition duration (eg, fire trait).
Increasing condition duration alone is obviously a bad thing (100 damage over 3 seconds is better than 100 over 4 seconds).
Does the damage also increase in proportion?
If so, where does it state this in the manuals, or where can I find evidence of this?

thanks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

A:

Condition damage is calculated on a per tick basis, duration simply determines how many ticks the condition has; it has no effect at all on per tick damage.

Therefore yes, condition duration does increase condition damage in proportion (you can see this for yourself really easily… add some condition duration and the condition tooltip will show increased duration and total damage).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

What about just eating a pizza?

In my healing/toughness/condition damage water/arcane build I had no room for condition duration but then I discovered the veggie pizza food line that gives me quite a bit of condition duration.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

Every 10 points aka 10% more condition duration you usually get one more tick of dmg on a medium-long dot. Keep in mind though, that for example Drake’s Breath applies burning 4 times, resulting in a 16sec long dot, meaning it’s already quite long and too much more duration will yield no benefit if the mob is already dead.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

As mentioned, duration does increase damage as well, because damage is actually constant for each “tick” and just added up in the tooltip, rather than the move actually doing a set amount of damage period.

Very thankful that GW2 does condition duration right, because I’ve played other games (Darkspore comes to mind) where it literally was just the same total damage over a longer duration making it WORSE to lenghthen it, at least for DoT’s (though it was still nice for disables and the like).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aure.6435

Aure.6435

Thanks in particular to Electro and Embolism, who have understood and answered my question in abstraction.

I was not worried about the practical consequences of this stat.

I just wanted to know if GW2 does condition damage “the right way”.

(Though I appreciate all efforts to help, I only found these two answers relevant.)