Could someone explain conjure weapons?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lictor Alpha.3724

Lictor Alpha.3724

I’v seen lots of PvE/WvW builds that say to take frost bow or lightning hammer. I always thought these weapons were trash because you lost you’re ability to element switch when using them. Am I wrong about this?

If so what makes frost bow better then lightning hammer or the earth shield, or the fire sword, exc.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

These have different uses:

Lightning hammer is used in a high-dps PvE build (especially dungeons) that use the high power scaling of the hammer and ability to sit in water (to maximize dps traits) to get very high dps by spamming the 1 ability and occasionally using the others. Survivability is helped by the blind on the 3rd hit.

Frost bow is always good for a dps boost b/c it gives 2x ice storm (a TON of aoe damage, maybe more than meteor shower), the 5 ability is the BEST single-target hard CC in the game, and the chill on the 3 is fast and worth casting usually (point-blank it does good damage and chill isn’t a bad thing). You don’t sit in frost bow, just use whatever relevant skills and then go back to your thing. If someone in your party takes it they will do the same, or you can pick up the created after 30s (when the skill has 30s left on the recharge timer on your bar) to do the same thing again.

Fiery Greatsword is used in whatever game-mode for mobility (using the 3 skill and the 4 w/o a target to rush straight ahead). When you get where you are going, the 5 skill is usually worth casting (decent dps), but in PvP situations its rarely worth holding onto.

Earth shield I only ever use vs Mai Trin occasionally to block her heavy-hitting ranged shot (it has a block on an 8s CD). Not usually worth it outside of very specific applications.

Flame Axe is still kinda meh. It was briefly used by people who could camp fire with the trait that gives might on every fire skill cast. Doing that with the might that the 1 skill gives allows you to stack high might. However, the utility of the axe just isn’t there. It doesn’t have the consistent damage that hammer has, it doesn’t have the 1-2 amazing skills that ice bow has, and it doesn’t have the niche utility (mobility) that FGS has.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

BlackBeard is about right.

Earth Shield and Flame Axe aren’t really good.

Fiery GS was the best skill in the game, but it’s been nerf and now it limited for combat situation, but it is superb for mobility.

Frostbow is the best burst dps of the game and a lot of speed run strategy are build around this weapon.

Lighting Hammer have a very good auto-attack and is a really good addition for S/D or S/F as they are really bad auto-attack. Blackbear talk about water specifically, but its more variable then that. You try to stay into the element which the best damage modifier, which will depend of your build. Mostly you have water camping that use the 20% damage modifier while enemy have vulnerability, but you also have air or fire camping, which allow you to put point in air rather than water. It give you better stats, but less damage modifier.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lictor Alpha.3724

Lictor Alpha.3724

thanks a lot :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Esreyr.6304

Esreyr.6304

I always thought these weapons were trash because you lost you’re ability to element switch when using them. Am I wrong about this?

Not quite true. You can still change atunements while wielding a conjured weapon. Useful for cleansing conditions, giving might, protection, or even fury (if you have the right traits).