Current State of the Elementalist?

in Elementalist

Posted by: luatnguyen.5064

luatnguyen.5064

Hi I am coming back from a 5-6 month break from the game where I played as an elementalist (only up to level 39 though so I’m still very much a noob). At that time there was a lot of stuff going around the forum saying that ele was the most fun class to play but was the worst/weakest of them all. I just wanted to know with all the changes thus far, has the power level of the elementalist change at all, if so for better or worse?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Feaduin.7603

Feaduin.7603

Elementalist is currently top tier for dps in PvE with a staff build. We are also still very strong in WvW zergs with staff and d/d has made a comeback in WvW roaming and small group play. You are also starting to see more eles in sPvP running d/d and doing quite well. The last balance patch was quite favorable for Elementalist and the profession has changed for the better. I just wish scepter would get some love now

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

what i would like to see for scepter is , reword of water 2, make it a water aura, u get heals if u get dmg or whatever, scepter is only weapset without aura so it would be fine:p

i mean, does anyone even use scepter 2?

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I do in PvE sometimes. It’s a quick fire-and-forget ability, and in PvE stuff doesn’t move as much. I don’t remain in water to spam it, but casting it after a heal or something, while going back to another attunement, it’s okish.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I would argue that ele is top DPS only in presence of a wall.
Seems recent dps speed tests showed ele 4th after thief, warrior and guardian.
On single targets.

DD imho is still extremeley bad in WWW as many already said.
Unless you “duel” that puts a set of rules that helps ele (see opponent freedom of disengage)

Staff is possibly the best DPS zerg weapon btw but is risky so most people wants you to be a waterbot….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

On single targets.

Unless you “duel” that puts a set of rules that helps ele (see opponent freedom of disengage)

Staff is possibly the best DPS zerg weapon btw but is risky so most people wants you to be a waterbot….

Staff Elementalist have a DPS of 14k while a Guardian can only reach 10-11k DPS. Warrior is also in the 10-11k range. I never really checked Thief that much so I can’t give a figure. I know that the thief have a high single target DPS, so ya maybe he go near the Ele or even get higher than the ele while not on a wall.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

On single targets.

I’d like to see these DPS tests lol. Lava Font ticking for 10k + Fireball + Meteor Shower is pretty hard to argue with.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DEKeyzToChaos.7381

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

On single targets.

I’d like to see these DPS tests lol. Lava Font ticking for 10k + Fireball + Meteor Shower is pretty hard to argue with.

Agreed. I’ve done DPS estimates for all classes except Thief and Ranger (and they are coming soon) and Ele still comes out on top in rotational (non-FGS/FB) DPS. FGS-wise, Thief and Ele make the best FGS holders.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

I do in PvE sometimes. It’s a quick fire-and-forget ability, and in PvE stuff doesn’t move as much. I don’t remain in water to spam it, but casting it after a heal or something, while going back to another attunement, it’s okish.

u r better off water auto atking the enemy.. if they make water 2 a blast finisher ye, but as it is its pretty crap atm, long cast time, needs few sec to explode..

i am more of a pvp player and just use it on my friend when i down him when we duel for fun and be like: ooo u got hit by something like this!!!

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

u r better off water auto atking the enemy.. if they make water 2 a blast finisher ye, but as it is its pretty crap atm, long cast time, needs few sec to explode..

i am more of a pvp player and just use it on my friend when i down him when we duel for fun and be like: ooo u got hit by something like this!!!

Shatterstone is a very slight DPS gain over water auto… but more importantly it applies vuln. But yeah, it does suffer from the same problem as Dragon’s Tooth in that anything with half a brain will just walk away.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Tests for DPS and burst have been performed in the past (I know yski just did burst), and Eles maintain the highest DPS combos and burst damage of every class in the game.

Necros contest this when in Lich form having a very easy 16-17k damage per second value, however the cooldown rules this out as impractical in most cases, and warriors/thieves are pretty even in 2nd/3rd/4th depending on their builds. This is followed usually by guards, mesmers, engineers, and then rangers in dead last.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Tests for DPS and burst have been performed in the past (I know yski just did burst), and Eles maintain the highest DPS combos and burst damage of every class in the game.

Necros contest this when in Lich form having a very easy 16-17k damage per second value, however the cooldown rules this out as impractical in most cases, and warriors/thieves are pretty even in 2nd/3rd/4th depending on their builds. This is followed usually by guards, mesmers, engineers, and then rangers in dead last.

Your post started out so well then it just went straight to lol land.

in Elementalist

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

Your post started out so well then it just went straight to lol land.

Yeah, I’m pretty skeptical. I only calculated Lich Form to be 14k DPS (link#). Engis can potentially be as high DPS as warriors under perfect conditions but I don’t have enough experience to say how that is in practice. Mesmers can be lower than or higher than Guard DPS depending on builds, assumptions, and time frame. Could you give me links to your references?

Where is the reference for this 16-17k range for lich form as well as this ranking?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alphard.6529

Alphard.6529

I only calculated Lich Form to be 14k DPS (link#).

This is a bit offtopic, but could you link to any convention on how to go about calculating DPS? I’m specifically interested in whether the DPS is calculated for a specific rotation of the build and where the cast times/aftercast of the skills are derived from (or are they even used?), i.e. how you know how many times you can perform a rotation within a given period.

[KING] Alpha Cas

(edited by Alphard.6529)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Darox.8069

Darox.8069

There are many assumptions that we must take into account when calculating DPS. That is because encounters can require many different formats of combat. We always use specific rotations. These can change a lot depending on the encounter. Any proper theorycrafter (like Keyz) will compute DPS figures by considering total cast times (cast + channel + aftercast) and feasibility frontiers (i.e. can we really perform the rotation consistently). You can find the data we mined for cast time in Keyz’s guide (my post at the top of this forum is outdated and my account has been banned). Once this is done we usually record the total rotation time in pvp. The combination of damage figures calculated theoretically and in-game performance monitoring gives really accurate DPS figures. Bear in mind that not all theorycrafters use this method, so make sure to pick carefully who you listen to

in Elementalist

DEKeyzToChaos.7381

I was responding to the poster above who made a claim about Lich Form Necros without evidence.

The general method I use is described by Nike on reddit, which Zelyhn summarized very well. For non-ele DPS calculations I usually use either 30 second or 60 second rotations to match up with Nike’s method. For ele DPS calcs I use repeatable rotations because my tools for calculating ele DPS are much more advanced due to the cast time data we have.

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

On single targets.

Staff Elementalist have a DPS of 14k while a Guardian can only reach 10-11k DPS. Warrior is also in the 10-11k range. I never really checked Thief that much so I can’t give a figure. I know that the thief have a high single target DPS, so ya maybe he go near the Ele or even get higher than the ele while not on a wall.

I did the math afterall. My numbers include Sigil of Night/Force, Potion, Fury, 25 Might, 25 Vulnerability, Both Banner, EA, Spotter, Traited Frost Spirit and Scholar Runes. I also took into consideration that Executioner 20% will be up about half the time.

On Average a D/D thief will do about 15K DPS and he can peak at 18.5K while the enemy is at 25%HP and you activate your Signet of Assassins. But D/D don’t cleave, its single target.

On Average a S/P thief will do about 13.5k DPS and he can peak at 16K while the enemy is at 50%HP and you activate your Signet of Assassins. Lower single target DPS, but you cleave so more overall DPS.

So ya a thief can do more DPS on a single target than a Elementalist if the enemy is on a Wall, but not by much. A meteor shower or a FGS on a wall, or if there is more than 1 target and the Elementalist take back the first place in DPS pretty quickly.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

On single targets.

I did the math afterall. My numbers include Sigil of Night/Force, Potion, Fury, 25 Might, 25 Vulnerability, Both Banner, EA, Spotter, Traited Frost Spirit and Scholar Runes. I also took into consideration that Executioner 20% will be up about half the time.

On Average a D/D thief will do about 15K DPS and he can peak at 18.5K while the enemy is at 25%HP and you activate your Signet of Assassins. But D/D don’t cleave, its single target.

On Average a S/P thief will do about 13.5k DPS and he can peak at 16K while the enemy is at 50%HP and you activate your Signet of Assassins. Lower single target DPS, but you cleave so more overall DPS.

So ya a thief can do more DPS on a single target than a Elementalist if the enemy is on a Wall, but not by much. A meteor shower or a FGS on a wall, or if there is more than 1 target and the Elementalist take back the first place in DPS pretty quickly.

DPS is not burst, you can’t calculate it that way. If you want to do “DPS while target is below X%” you have to average out the situations where he isn’t in those situations. That’s why I count the Engineer’s +10% crit chance below 50% health trait as a flat +5% crit chance.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Engis can potentially be as high DPS as warriors under perfect conditions but I don’t have enough experience to say how that is in practice.

Really? I never achived it on the mists. What build and rotations are you using?
I would like to try it again. I would love to have a reason to run dungeons with my engi

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

DPS is not burst, you can’t calculate it that way. If you want to do “DPS while target is below X%” you have to average out the situations where he isn’t in those situations. That’s why I count the Engineer’s +10% crit chance below 50% health trait as a flat +5% crit chance.

I know. That’s how I did it too. The Average dps is what you will end up doing for the whole fight. With the Executioner buff only present for the last half of the fight. I also took into consideration change in the rotation because HS is not worth using while the enemy is full hp, but will give you higher DPS if you use it while he’s at 50% hp and even more while he’s at 25% hp.

The Peak DPS was just a fun fact. What can the thief can do dmg wise during 5 attacks while the enemy is at low HP. Its still a DPS, but you can’t use it to compare to other profession, it just nice to see how high you can go for a short burst.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Engis can potentially be as high DPS as warriors under perfect conditions but I don’t have enough experience to say how that is in practice.

Really? I never achived it on the mists. What build and rotations are you using?
I would like to try it again. I would love to have a reason to run dungeons with my engi

Pretty simple actually. In theory engineer DPS is actually like the second highest in the game, in practice it may be slightly lower, around thief or warrior level, depending on how on-point the player is with cooldowns.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Darox.8069

Darox.8069

Guang, if there is a difference between your practice and your theory then you are doing one of them wrong. My guess is that it’s both

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

That would mean I would be wrong about something for once and I don’t think that’s ever happened.

in Elementalist

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

On single targets.

100Blade+axe/mace+eviscerate is not hard to argue with. If an ele can plow out 48K in 7 seconds, then no they are not the highest DPS. This is unarguable.

in Elementalist

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Again this is nemesis claiming necro has higher DPS than warrior. In his video the warrior was badly traited and he never swapped weapons. In the necro video the target had 25 stacks of invulnerability and banners to assist, which the warrior did not. At the end of the day under perfect conditions thieve’s achieve the highest single hit score, warriors achieve the highest overall cleave. Every profession can mete out respectable damage, but a couple benefit more from ideal situations more than the rest.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Hi I am coming back from a 5-6 month break from the game where I played as an elementalist (only up to level 39 though so I’m still very much a noob). At that time there was a lot of stuff going around the forum saying that ele was the most fun class to play but was the worst/weakest of them all. I just wanted to know with all the changes thus far, has the power level of the elementalist change at all, if so for better or worse?

Biggest change for me is that the focus has become viable. 6 months ago it was unusable and now its my prefered weapon in pvp.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

u r better off water auto atking the enemy.. if they make water 2 a blast finisher ye, but as it is its pretty crap atm, long cast time, needs few sec to explode.

It’s also AoE and causes vulnerability. For a ‘filler skill’ that’s not too bad in PvE, as hitting stuff is easy enough.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

On single targets.

100Blade+axe/mace+eviscerate is not hard to argue with. If an ele can plow out 48K in 7 seconds, then no they are not the highest DPS. This is unarguable.

Ele’s gonna hit a lot more than 48k in 7 seconds lol.

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

Again this is nemesis claiming necro has higher DPS than warrior. In his video the warrior was badly traited and he never swapped weapons. In the necro video the target had 25 stacks of invulnerability and banners to assist, which the warrior did not. At the end of the day under perfect conditions thieve’s achieve the highest single hit score, warriors achieve the highest overall cleave. Every profession can mete out respectable damage, but a couple benefit more from ideal situations more than the rest.

Are you really saying that Warrior have more DPS than a Elementalist? At max the Warrior can achieve 12-13k DPS, while a Ele is in the 14-15k DPS range.

And btw, Warrior shouldn’t swap weapons to achieve their max DPS. Keep up with the meta man, it changed with the addition of Ferocity as more test were done by the community. This obvious lack in information on your part, make me wonder about the build think you mention. See I never saw the Nemesis video, never heard of it before, so I checked it out.

The build is fine. Again, you need to keep up with the Meta man. The build that Nemesis used is 6.5% more DPS than the old 6/5/0/0/3 and for now its the best personal DPS build for a warrior.

Now for the result itself? Nemesis’ methodology was sloppy as hell. If he wanted to do a good job, he should had a team of ppl to help him out have most of the buff and keep them steady or nobody with him to make sure he didn’t have any buff at any time. In his video there is a couple of ppl near him and buff if from time to time, screwing up any result he could have. Anyway, even if the necro could have similar dmg than a warrior its only single target and he don’t bring any good support than another profession do better so, it doesn’t change the necro situation in dungeon anyway.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

You can t calculate ele dps with bonus banners 25 might and 25 vulnerabilities unless you can t obtain them yourself.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Ele DPS is still higher than warrior DPS even without banners and vuln and with only self-stacked might and fury.

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

Well if you compare Elementalist fully buffed but without banners, EA, Spotter and Frostspirit, then you are pretty much near a Full dps Warrior fully buffed with banner and EA, but without spotter and Frostspirit.

They seem pretty kitten close at about 12-13k dps each.

But its a party composition, you mostly likely to have both a warrior and elementalist so that don’t mean much.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

What if you have to choose between an elementalist and a warrior?
Also something that never gets tested is how often ele has to use his defences (evasion, healing etc) and how often warrior needs.

That in some content lowers ele dps drastically.
For example even at bloomhunger you can t spam your dps so easily.
Cast aftercast and cooldowns forces you to wait for the proper window, thus lowering your dps by a lot.

Warrior has a great autoattack instead and low CD, that helps spamming whatever you want when you want without caring much if you will have to interrupt to evade etc.

GW2 balance:

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

If you have to choose between a Warrior and an Elementalist, then its Warrior first. Not because of DPS, or because he can keep dpsing more often than an Elementalist. No its because the Warrior buff so much the party. I’ll take a Phalanx or EA Warrior anytime because an Elementalist, but only 1. But anyway, if you have to choose between 1 Ele and 1 Warrior then you don’t really care about what your composition is. Usually any good composition have at least 1 Warrior and 2 Ele so if you have to choose 1 between the two, who care.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

What if you have to choose between an elementalist and a warrior?
Also something that never gets tested is how often ele has to use his defences (evasion, healing etc) and how often warrior needs.

That in some content lowers ele dps drastically.
For example even at bloomhunger you can t spam your dps so easily.
Cast aftercast and cooldowns forces you to wait for the proper window, thus lowering your dps by a lot.

Warrior has a great autoattack instead and low CD, that helps spamming whatever you want when you want without caring much if you will have to interrupt to evade etc.

The problem with warrior DPS is that the meta GS build that people use as a reference for numbers is extremely unforgiving in terms of rotation. We are talking a rotation that requires you to be channeling a skill that roots for you for a full four seconds every ten seconds, and if you don’t hit that full channel on cooldown every time and follow it up with a perfectly spaced Whirlwind on a mob of appropriate size you’re losing a massive chunk of your DPS.

By comparison ele is basically just doing whatever while dropping Lava Fonts, you are never rooted except for during Meteor Shower (which is about the same channel time as HB) and that can be done at range and only needs to be done every 30 seconds. Moreover even if you don’t use MS at all it’s a much smaller DPS hit.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

The difference is that with warrior you can facetank some slow attacks, with ele its a great problem if you get hit by normal Attacks.

If you interrupt your 100B you have it readi in 6,5 seconds, if you interrupt meteor shower you get it back way after.

If you need to cleanse conditions or few HP you lock yourself out of damage with an ele.

If you switch weapon with a war for a parry etc, your axe main hand and sw 4-4 will still give you good damage.

And so on.

Btw i totally agree that almost ant META build for PvE is the proof of the failure of the lack of trinity.
You can choose to play a skill intensive build and do kittenty damage or play a build that requires you to know and use 10% of your profession and be a “pro speedrunner”.

That is sad but its the price this game pays to the capture point centric balance.
At least PvE meta builds are nerf proof because they are unviable in pvp.

GW2 balance:

in Elementalist

Posted by: VodCom.6924

VodCom.6924

What we call meta builds are “speed clear meta builds”. We should not confuse both.

The speed clear meta is a proof of the lack of experience the dev had when they first designed dungeons, since most mobs can be los’ed and bosses killed before they can do anything interesting (spider in AC).

Things are starting to change however: I noticed woodenpotatoes stated that mobs during LS2 are “convincing” him to move away from berserker, just for extra survivability since mobs are much less forgiving in dry top.

Known as Reegar Else, Linda Else, Xiana Else and Thorgall Breakstone

in Elementalist

Thaddeus.4891

What we call meta builds are “speed clear meta builds”. We should not confuse both.

The speed clear meta is a proof of the lack of experience the dev had when they first designed dungeons, since most mobs can be los’ed and bosses killed before they can do anything interesting (spider in AC).

Things are starting to change however: I noticed woodenpotatoes stated that mobs during LS2 are “convincing” him to move away from berserker, just for extra survivability since mobs are much less forgiving in dry top.

There is no official definition, which make things a bit confusing sometimes. For me a meta build is a range of build that do decent dmg. For ele its Staff, S/X LH or D/F, and each of these familly can have several variation depending if you need more fury, vulnerability, pure dmg, etc. For other ppl, it mean only 1 build, the best build, which for me is stupid since the best build depend on so many thing like the situation, the party composition and your level of skills.

But I really don’t think that what WP said point in the direction of change, neither that i think it should change on that particular point. Its new content and we may or may not have some difficulty completing some of that new content in Beserker gear. AC was view as a really hard dungeon during the first months of the game and same thing happened when they changed it. But look at it now. For any content that dev will throught at us, the community will eventually find the best way to complete it and more and more ppl will be able to complete it with minimum defence. Some ppl may have difficulty with, but the best player will never remove their zerker gear and still be able to complete it, because they are that, the best player (whoever they are).

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

seeing how elementalists ‘have the highest dps in the game’ and they just released nomad armor.. a nomadic elementalist should be an unstoppable force that’s good at Everything.. am i right? c’mon, tell me i’m right.. cuz i’m right, right?  /sarcasm

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The only Dry Top mobs I’ve had any problem facetank-DPSing to death in full Berserker are the champion boss event mobs for obvious reasons.

The difference is that with warrior you can facetank some slow attacks, with ele its a great problem if you get hit by normal Attacks.

If you interrupt your 100B you have it readi in 6,5 seconds, if you interrupt meteor shower you get it back way after.

If you need to cleanse conditions or few HP you lock yourself out of damage with an ele.

If you switch weapon with a war for a parry etc, your axe main hand and sw 4-4 will still give you good damage.

And so on.

Btw i totally agree that almost ant META build for PvE is the proof of the failure of the lack of trinity.
You can choose to play a skill intensive build and do kittenty damage or play a build that requires you to know and use 10% of your profession and be a “pro speedrunner”.

That is sad but its the price this game pays to the capture point centric balance.
At least PvE meta builds are nerf proof because they are unviable in pvp.

Even if you interrupt Meteor Shower you are still getting massive damage from Lava Font + Fireball, which basically can’t be interrupted in any meaningful way. By comparison the warrior who interrupts HB is down to like half DPS until it recharges.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hattoni.8597

Hattoni.8597

So, if ele’s dps is near warrior’s or thief’s then what’s the point playing it? No offence, I love playing elementalist, I’m just curious.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

It’s considerably more. Somewhere in the range of 20-30% more and skills like Fiery Greatsword can be used to create a massive DPS burst that is capable of one-shotting dungeon bosses. Right now a lot of the dungeon speedrun tactics involve pulling bosses into walls or other obstructions then using Fiery Rush for a 300k+ burst of damage that can sometimes instakill them.

Even if you can’t FGS them, staff ele still deals massive DPS across the board, and a lightning hammer spec gives the group tons of might and fury.

in Elementalist

Hattoni.8597

To sum up with, it’s not dps what makes one class worth more than other in terms of damage, but rather burst?
I just don’t get why would you take ele instead of warrior if dmg is similar and warrior can give some serious support (at least better than ele’s).

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

I like how you just totally ignored what I just said.

Ele has better sustained AND better burst than a warrior. It’s not like you can’t do a reasonably fast clear using only warriors (people used to do that before they learned better) but if you are aiming for a record time ele is just better.

Also, ele burst is practically useful even if you’re not aiming for fast times because the massive burst means you can kill a lot of trash and bosses before they even use any of their annoying mechanics. That’s how people kill Lupicus so fast, they burst him and instakill him before he even does any of his annoying phase 3 stuff like bubbles or lifesteal.

in Elementalist

Hattoni.8597

Oh, great, I do understand everything now. I’d also sorry for my ignorance, I just didn’t get the point of your previous post. Thanks for clarifying me the state of elementalist.