D/D Aura Ele, is this build still viable?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Auditore.8926

Auditore.8926

Hi everyone

I started playing an Elementalist, and double teaming with a friend’s Ele for just about everything.. He’s playing his Ele with a staff, while I prefer daggers.

I found this great build post September patch. I love the support and style and was wondering if it is still viable or is it changed (and how much). Also, someone in the comments mentioned to use Celestial, instead of Valkyrie Armor.

D/D Aura Ele Buildhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6iaQmMJaA

Also, any helpful hints / tricks are much appreciated.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

It’s effective in WvW and PvP but trash in PvE really because the utilities are wasteful, the runes/sigils aren’t very practical either, and D/D offers less DPS and defensive utility than D/F does.

You can use D/D for leveling up in open world PvE and it’s fine for things like that, but never take it in groups when doing dungeons/fractals because dagger offhand is pretty bad there. You only really wanna use dagger offhand in instanced PvE when you’re either prestacking might before an encounter or quickly using RTL then swapping back to another weaponset. In like 99% of all other cases, go for either staff or D/F.

Staff offers the very best DPS for an ele and D/F offers a lot of blasts for might stacking mid-fight.

Check this guide out for more details.

http://dulfy.net/2014/07/11/gw2-elementalist-pve-class-guide-by-haviz-and-zelyhn/

in Elementalist

Auditore.8926

Ouch… 87 views and one single reply.

Thank you so much Purple Miku for replying and clearing this issue for me.
Guess it’s either WvW/PvP, or back to burning everything with a Staff in PvE xD

Thanks again for your reply.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

No problem!

Just be sure to understand that unlike other weaponsets, you benefit mostly from not swapping attunements when you’re on staff. Aside from the initial burst where you might start with earth to use eruption to blast in your field and perhaps start in air to use glyph of storms, you want to camp fire as much as possible.

Also don’t mind the # of views really. Sometimes people just browse to try to learn stuff themselves.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lawful.5314

Lawful.5314

Good guide in that youtube video, makes me wonder whenether i should use strenght, hellbore or rage runes in my PvP gear, all of them seem better inclined for a certain gameplay style, hellbore is more might stacking oriented while rage would be fury stacking oriented.

Even tho you can stack fury with 2 points in Air atunement almost infinitely, it does require quite a bit more work with your rotations and it makes might stacking more stressing because you have to squeeze in a bit too many abilities into your fire circle.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Possible to run a viable DnD auramancer but it requires a little sacrifice

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lawful.5314

Lawful.5314

What do people mean when they call it auramancer btw?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Powerful auras, maybe? It’s the trait for Elementalist that grants your auras to allies and was dubbed auramancer as it involved buffing team mates via traits that proc on auras. Back when the auramancer build wad big, I don’t think the auras themselves were that good. Since then, the auras got changed. I was actually considering a kind of aura – centric build on a dagger thief build because some of the auras have pretty fun effects.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

its a great trait but underutlized with only 2 people. Aura sharing should really only be picked up in full parties and is better utilized in team that can out sustain enemies.

This is a video of my necro friend in a full party at north camp. I was using aura share at the time. Keep in mind this video is almost 2 years old.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

This isn’t an aura-share ele, but the build is pretty good and certainly viable.

Most people have moved from 2 in air to 2 in earth because:
- The 1 point minor in air basically doesn’t exist. 99% of the time you are in air, you will have swiftness, so 10% speed increase does nothing (they don’t stack, only use the greatest value). In contrast, the 1-point minor in earth is VERY good (+120 toughness) after it was buffed from +80 toughness, and was fixed to work with lingering elements so its like having +120 toughness for almost all of the time.
- Zephyr’s boon isn’t as strong as it used to be since they nerfed it (or bug-fixed it) to not double-proc with the air aura. It used to give you 2x swifts and fury.
- Celestial amulet has enough precision/crit to proc renewing stamina, while old valk’s builds really needed the higher fury uptime and precision to get those procs.
- The trait “Elemental shielding” is incredibly strong, and gives you access to extra protection in the attunements you need it. This gives you prot in air when you use shocking aura (so you take -33% direct damage) and prot with frost aura (for -43% direct damage!!!). If you are more dps-inclined, stone splinters is comparable, and maybe even higher dps than 2 in air with zephyr’s boon.

Also, the best runes to take are either: hoelbrak, strength, or pack runes. If you take pack runes, you get pretty much 100% uptime on swifts/fury without going into air, plus tons of stats.

in Elementalist

Auditore.8926

Wow, thank you all for your replies.

Sorry I neglected to mention why I’d run this build. I have e friend who runs a staff Elementalist, and me being in d/d melee, we have great synergy with our attacks, and we also utilize hard hitting and, if needed, hard healing combos. I honestly don’t care about large group play, and getting yelled at or kicked, for failing to produce an X-no. of damage for being an Ele, or staying in one element almost indefinitely. I like mixing things up and I revel in the results produced with my friend and a small group.

Having said this, I’ve decided to change this build up a bit, and to try and make it more PvE friendlier for me and my friend and when in small groups. So, here goes:

[ARMOR] Full Celestial (exotic)
- either Runes of Strength or Runes of the Pack

[WEAPONS] Berserker Daggers (exotic)
- Sigils of Force and Battle

[ACCESORIES]- Berserker/Valkyrie, 4 stats (ascended)

I would like feedback on this little change and want to know what you all think?

Thank you Black Beard for all your help and tips , I will definitely swap the Air for Earth trait. Definitely more useful to have toughness than a little gust of speed now and then.

in Elementalist

Posted by: mcarswell.3768

mcarswell.3768

imo it’s way easier and cheaper to run zerker armor and celestial trinkets than vice versa.

Berner | Nitzerebb | Suna | Shivayanama
[TSFR] – Jade Quarry

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

Lots of ways to do stats honestly. If we’re discussing stats (Armor/Jewelry/Weapons) then going Celestial/Zerker Valk/Zerker aims for decent stats, but honestly wastes some stats in condition damage and healing you could focus elsewhere. Honestly I’d probably go with something like Soldier/Zerker/Zerker. You do give up some Precision Ferocity this way but in turn gain around 200 more power. The Tough and Vit are slightly lower, but nothing worth noting honestly especially for the cost difference of Celestial vs Soldier.

Up to you in the end. Many ways to skin a cat. Also depends on what spec you end up in point wise, as points in each line also passively increase stat totals quite a bit. I always end up quite a few points in Air traits because I always skimp on Precision/Ferocity and they make up that difference.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I used to love running groups through dungeons with the Auramancer build, especially SE, it was a TON of fun. But it hasn’t been any good since they limited Powerful Aura to proccing off weapon skills, which took away Fire’s Embraces interactions. It wasn’t even a popular build, let alone overpowered, there was honestly no reason to nerf it, except maybe the spite the developers seem to have for this class.

in Elementalist

Auditore.8926

Up to you in the end. Many ways to skin a cat. Also depends on what spec you end up in point wise, as points in each line also passively increase stat totals quite a bit. I always end up quite a few points in Air traits because I always skimp on Precision/Ferocity and they make up that difference.

Kodiak, thanks for your reply. My Arcana trait-line is the same, but I changed Water a bit. I went for Cleansing Wave (X), instead of Soothing Disruption (IX), works wonders. Also I put the last 2 trait points in Earth and picked up Elemental Shielding (V), instead of Air, just because I wanted a little more toughness and decided to use Travel Runes, hence the Zerk-Valk trinket choice, and perm speed boost.

I used to love running groups through dungeons with the Auramancer build, especially SE, it was a TON of fun. But it hasn’t been any good since they limited Powerful Aura to proccing off weapon skills, which took away Fire’s Embraces interactions. It wasn’t even a popular build, let alone overpowered, there was honestly no reason to nerf it, except maybe the spite the developers seem to have for this class.

To be honest, I kinda loathed the Elementalist at first, but once I grasped it’s playstyle, I fell in love. I do not know how much the class has suffered in the past, but I wish I had started an Elementalist sooner. Better late then never eh?

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Sorry I neglected to mention why I’d run this build. I have e friend who runs a staff Elementalist, and me being in d/d melee, we have great synergy with our attacks, and we also utilize hard hitting and, if needed, hard healing combos. I honestly don’t care about large group play, and getting yelled at or kicked, for failing to produce an X-no. of damage for being an Ele, or staying in one element almost indefinitely. I like mixing things up and I revel in the results produced with my friend and a small group.

That is great to know. With that, you might actually consider taking “powerful auras” (for the d/d ele) over cleansing water. Cleansing water is incredibly strong, but if you have 2 eles supporting each-other, only 1 having cleansing water could be enough. On the flip side, taking aura-share with Elemental Shielding will actually give a lot of support to your friend as well. In combination with the staff ele, you should be able to get a LOT of aura uptime, which will share that protection with him as well.

You have:
- Shocking aura (air 3)
- Frost aura (water 4)
- Leap finisher through fire fields or his ice field (using earth 3)
- Blast finisher in his ice field (using earth dodge or water 3)

You might even be able to get perma-protection for the 2 of you.

If you feel you need the extra condi cleanse, that is understandable to stick with cleansing water. However, when you are doing something that isn’t focused on solo, you have some more combos that work well.

If you aren’t gonna take cleansing water, you also don’t have to take all cantrips. That opens you up to take something like glyph of ele power, or an arcane skill (for extra finishers for his fields). You can start doing things very interesting when you build as a pair as opposed to 2 singles.

Edit: If you haven’t bought traveler’s runes yet, you may find you don’t need them. Between 2 eles with ele attunement, and his staff 4 you can quite easily keep perma swiftness on each-other.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rialen.1524

Rialen.1524

Yeah it totally is.