D/D Movement speed, what am i missing?

in Elementalist

Posted by: I Am Dansker.7105

I Am Dansker.7105

So since the annoying update, RTL have been basically not an option when it comes to keeping up with the zerg in WvWvW due to the 40 sec timer, 40 sec is simply too long for me so i save it till i need to engage in battle which is needed more than ever since i now fall behind the zerg

But that’s like the only movement spell the D/D ele got. Updraft does apply 13 sec movement speed, but that hardly does anything due to the backflip.

Then we have burning speed which doesn’t really get you that far either, also it’s one of our most damaging spells so it really does not make sense to waste it for a so minor movement

As far as i’m aware we are more or less locked at normal run speed unless we use specific traits which will give you some movement speed compared to many of the other classes with one or more spells that will apply runspeed or charge forward that doesn’t have a 40 sec timer which makes it useless for getting around

So basically my question is, what do you guys do to keep up with a zerg in WvWvW?

Far Shiverpeaks

in Elementalist

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

As far as at least keeping swiftness up in D/D, that shouldn’t be a big deal.

With 10 in elemental attunement in arcane, you get some swiftness every time you switch to air, so switch to it and out so you can switch back asap to get more swiftness.

10 points in air gets you zephyr’s boon, which applies fury and swiftness upon aura use. So use your auras while traveling.

It’s common for eles to run boon duration runes, which lengthens the swiftness (along with the other boons of course) as well.

While just roaming around, using the glyph heal in air attunement applies swiftness as well.

in Elementalist

Posted by: nothing.7941

nothing.7941

There’s always air sig for 25% speed increase, if you’re willing to use a utility slot for that.

Martin Firestorm, Borlis Pass
Gaile Gray wrote:
Oh wait, read Martin Firestorm, he says it better…

in Elementalist

Posted by: I Am Dansker.7105

I Am Dansker.7105

As far as at least keeping swiftness up in D/D, that shouldn’t be a big deal.

With 10 in elemental attunement in arcane, you get some swiftness every time you switch to air, so switch to it and out so you can switch back asap to get more swiftness.

10 points in air gets you zephyr’s boon, which applies fury and swiftness upon aura use. So use your auras while traveling.

It’s common for eles to run boon duration runes, which lengthens the swiftness (along with the other boons of course) as well.

While just roaming around, using the glyph heal in air attunement applies swiftness as well.

There’s always air sig for 25% speed increase, if you’re willing to use a utility slot for that.

But my point is that we have to use our valuable traits JUST to keep up with others while they have one or more abilities that they can use without sing their valuable traits for it

The same applies for using runes just for movementspeed

Far Shiverpeaks

(edited by I Am Dansker.7105)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

But my point is that we have to use our valuable traits JUST to keep up with others while they have one or more abilities that they can use without sing their valuable traits for it

Well, elemental attunement is something you’ll want anyway. Not just for swiftness, but for regen and protection as well. In fact it’s our most useful trait.

Zephyr’s boon helps you maintain not just swiftness, but fury as well.

People don’t run boon duration to just maintain swiftness. Helps with prot, helps with regen, helps with fury, helps with vigor, helps with keeping multiple might stacks up. We use a lot of boons.

I get what you’re saying, we’re not using offhand warhorn to apply swiftness or something, but it ends up not really mattering.

(edited by Minion of Vey.4398)

in Elementalist

Posted by: kaltastic.3146

kaltastic.3146

The patch has only been a minor inconvenience in regards to keeping up with a group. Ele’s still have plenty of options besides RTL:

1.) Turn around quickly before you updraft, it will flip you in the right direction
2.) Swap staff, hit lightening 4 +5 and then swap back to d/d.
3.) GoEH grants swiftness in lightening attunement
4.) Swap in Signet of Air while on the move, swap it out prior the engaging enemies.

There are a few times when you may get a surprise engagement and you don’t have time to swap SoA out but zerg engagements tend to run, run then get ready for action.

We share apocalyptic views, how comforting that we see it too.

in Elementalist

Posted by: nothing.7941

nothing.7941

2.) Swap staff, hit lightening 4 +5 and then swap back to d/d.

If only that wasn’t a total pain in the kitten Wish we could weap swap out of combat without fooling with inventory.

Martin Firestorm, Borlis Pass
Gaile Gray wrote:
Oh wait, read Martin Firestorm, he says it better…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hazor.3140

Hazor.3140

Thieves gotta use a signet so it eats a utility slot
Guardians gotta equip staff or use 1/2 utility slots too
Mesmers have to equip a focus off-hand for a 10s duration/15s CD swiftness
Warriors gotta switch to warhorn offhand or use their elite to maintain swiftness, but I must admit they’re fairly mobile with GS
Necros gotta use a signet too and have no mobility skills
Rangers gotta use a signet too

Its not like the other classes have some divine no-cost swiftness there lol

in Elementalist

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Thieves gotta use a signet so it eats a utility slot
Guardians gotta equip staff or use 1/2 utility slots too
Mesmers have to equip a focus off-hand for a 10s duration/15s CD swiftness
Warriors gotta switch to warhorn offhand or use their elite to maintain swiftness, but I must admit they’re fairly mobile with GS
Necros gotta use a signet too and have no mobility skills
Rangers gotta use a signet too

Its not like the other classes have some divine no-cost swiftness there lol

Mesmer swiftness duration is much worse than you think

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Temporal_Curtain

12 sec for ever 25 sec untraited
12 sec for every 20 sec traited

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hazor.3140

Hazor.3140

Yea, playing too much warrior recently, its the warhorn that has the 10cd duration/15CD swiftness, thank you for correcting me!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

Ele has the easiest access to perma swiftness (which is faster than the 25% movespeed signets). You can get it either with Inscription (in which case all you need to do is cast GOEH in air whenever it’s up), or Zephyr’s Boon (use auras, GOEH when it’s up, and keep cycling in and out of air). If you don’t want to use any traits, then you can get it just w/ staff (blast finisher + lightning field + air4), and casting GoEH when it’s up.

It’s not “free,” but it’s far less than any other class gives up to maintain swiftness. Plus, you can usually run through guardian staff symbols for extra swiftness to fill in for any downtime you might have.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaosky.5276

Chaosky.5276

Turn around and use Updraft, swap to staff and use Windborne Speed (Static Field as well, if you’ve got a blast finisher like Arcane Wave handy), switch to fire and turn around to use Burning Retreat, switch to mainhand dagger to use Burning Speed (it’s only a 15 second cooldown), switch to air, make use of Elemental Attunement until any of those skills come off cooldown.

You can also use the Glyph of Elemental Harmony and Signet of Air if there’s any remaining downtime on Swiftness.

Also, if you’ve got 10 points in Air Magic, you can swap to/make use of Zephyr’s Boon.

(edited by Chaosky.5276)