D/D a viable set for WvW/general PvE?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Invictorum.7643

Invictorum.7643

Ello folks. Im leveling up my little Asura ele, and would like to know a thing or two since I’ve never really put much effort into the class, especially around my general stomping grounds of WvW.

Last time I seriously looked at Ele, D/D was the general kingpin build, being able to do most anything it needed to. Is it still one of the best builds or has it fallen into obscurity like power D/D thieves?

Are there viable builds that run dagger in the main hand in PvE/PvP/WvW? I love the mechanics of the weapon and the lightning whip, so I’d like to keep using it at level 80 as an ele or Tempest.

Thanks for any help y’all can give!

Pyrologist Dezz, signing off to BURN EVERYTHI— Cough cough study the elements!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Offhand dagger has fallen into the void ….
Dagger/Focus is currently the PvP weapon set also run in WvW.
PvE many use warhorn. Its a bit slow but static/predictable mobs are cought in the flields.
Staff is WvW.
And scepter is for rare individualists…

Classic build looks like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAodn0XC9XiVYCOYCcYilNAzdv+XPsDPgAQBkYFcBGBA-TJRWAB4WGAg9H27BAY6JAAA

Lighning flash can be taken. This is a condition cleanse build that heals the team.
Damage is soso. It usually don´t kill but air overload still hurts a lot if you get it off.

in Elementalist

Invictorum.7643

Is there a build more focused on doing damage? Im a WvW roamer so I’l need to fight a fair amount of people, and more than likely flip camps on the regular.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Przemyslaw.5891

Przemyslaw.5891

Sadly ele these days is really poor roamer and time of brightness of d/d gone forever. Only option that works pretty well is old school fa s/f build. And so if u like to play on a really high risk u can try it.
P.S. U need to know that its the hardest and most unforgivable build in game atm (imao).

in Elementalist

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

D/D elly is not viable anymore. Sorry

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mardragon.4017

Mardragon.4017

Since you mention PvE

I played through all storycontent in HoT/ls on D/D for solo/group events i came across(no fractal/dung/raid) as a recent returning player with fresh air/mightstack/auras and dam as pr old playstyle. If you want to play D/D you can there np, not to much sweat if you are used to playing ele. Running D/Wh now, is also fine for same content. Love lw too

I’d use Arcane Shield for certain, get enough condition cleanse across build and utility skills.

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

Condi mesmers tend to wreck S/F (low HP and condi clean) … but i guess they do it with a lot of builds :-).

In WvW i have a higly personalized build. A hybrid build. It melts camps quite fast and has survivability.
Can be played with fire instead of arcane. Water also works but feels booring.
For me earth is the key line here.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJArdnUMA9XiVYCOOA8RglNAz9u2XPsFpxN4NY4BEAugA-TFCGABAcCAM+BAovaF6pEUd9Aov/giqqIlyvAAIA7sODg1re1re1reuuO35O35RLFgdLAA-w

Basically classic ele boon machine :-)
combined with considerable condi aplication (yes this one can do a decent condi bomb).
Armor and HP are at the “Swet Spot” at least for me.
Weaknesses:
Despite having perma swiftness and FSG, mobility is somewhat low.
Prolonged condi application. (Mesmer, sometiems necro and warrior).
Not often but can happen: Chain CC.
You are in a good spot against all power builds.

Warrior. Bringing this one down is nearly impossible. You usually can live long but killing a good warrior ….. The condi version might kill you due to lack of constant condi removals, the power one if he chainstuns you.

Condi Mesmer. Cruel oponent, you run out of cleanses fast …

Condi Necro: You need to play perfect, then you can win the 1:1. If the necro gets help you are done even if 2:2. the boon coruption ruins your play.

Scrapper: very long fights but works.

Druid: If longbow you eat him otherwise more of a stalemate.

Dragonhunter: your prey

Daredevil: Jummy (they might run)

Revenant: enjoy (unless you meet some ESL guy playing WvW XD)

Cou can up the chances against condi by swaping stone heart to diamond skin. you can also use generosity sigil instead of blood.
You can´t have it all but i like this balanced build. Food varies. I also use sweet bean bun or during night peper popers for permachill :-)

Greetings

Wolf

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in Elementalist

Invictorum.7643

I do have to ask though… Why is offhand dagger lost to the void? What nerf did they bring to invalidate an entire weapon?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Divine Flavor.2016

Divine Flavor.2016

I still sometimes run D/D with my Tempest, so that at least still works. Tempest has more options for close quarters, though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Scepter/focus is the damage build for WvW now. Offhand dagger is bad

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I do have to ask though… Why is offhand dagger lost to the void? What nerf did they bring to invalidate an entire weapon?

Not really a nerf to dagger, just power-creep everywhere else. There is so much damage now that you have to take whatever hard mitigation you can, which for eles is solely available on focus. OH Dagger doesn’t have hard-mitigation, it has a lot of small defensive effects that can be added together for a decent offense/defense mix.

Also, d/d used to be pretty good back when eles had really high sustain, and could afford long fights with lots of might stacking. However, other classes’s power-crept sustain mean they can just out-sustain you when built for max-sustain, and others can just yolo outdamage your protection+heals. For instance, fight a scrapper vs. a d/d ele – on d/d you have to perform your constant might-stacking to do any damage, and even then do less. The scrapper is naturally tankier, has as many heals, has extra blocks/evades you don’t, and can easily get 25 might basically passively.

Dagger needs some cooldown reductions, revert of the STUPID, STUPID STUPID nerf to Ride the Lightning, and some power-increase…or even better just nerf everything else down to pre-HoT levels.

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

What they did to RTL when they would add in moves like Ancestral Grace is kind of staggering. Its an evasion heal ground target and on a 15 sec cd on a 1,200 ranged weapon on a class that can swap weapons and stealth. How do you even defend this?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

What they did to RTL when they would add in moves like Ancestral Grace is kind of staggering. Its an evasion heal ground target and on a 15 sec cd on a 1,200 ranged weapon on a class that can swap weapons and stealth. How do you even defend this?

Mic drop
That is all

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I haven’t bought gems in over a year and I barely play the game more than 1 hour a week now, that’s after a 6 months break.
It’s the only way I found to express my disagreement with the balance team and the direction the game is going.

If Anet ever want’s to get more money from me they have to prove to me that they really care about class balance and gameplay.

in Elementalist

Wolfric.9380

They care about class balance, but they focus on high level PvP and they destroy diversity within the classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Amaya.1483

Amaya.1483

I’m exclusively running D/D Tempest and barely play anything different. I’m winning against every Class so yeah….. (yes Legendary Players…… LUL)

PM Me if you want the Build.

Still Ele is superworthlesstrashtier compared to everything else when I look at the example of RTL and Ancestral Grace. That’s a neat one.

Edit : Forgot something.. check him out : https://www.twitch.tv/excode24 Classic Ele only Player…

(edited by Amaya.1483)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

I would like to see youtube guide videos. I have seen some videos but it is hard to see what happens; no detailed explanation what skills were used – no slow motion playing in youtube.

I play in WvW. What do you do when thief attacks?