D/W vs Staff Tempest in PvE

in Elementalist

Posted by: Eneldiar.9670

Eneldiar.9670

My girlfriend is playing ele and she just finished unlocking her tempest. She normally plays the staff DPS, but has been thinking about switching do D/W because she’s seen others do well with it and she likes the close-up fighting style because attunement overloads require her to be up close anyway (I don’t play much tempest, so idk their mechanics super well).

She is working on getting better game-knowledge, but doesn’t know mechanics all to well and I’m worried she’s going to switch and end up dying way more often. I could be totally wrong about that, though – which is why I’m asking for input here.

What are the pros and cons (damage, survivability, overall play-style) of both and if she does switch, should she wait until she knows mechanics better?

in Elementalist

Posted by: OanSur.4590

OanSur.4590

Dagger requires constant autoattack and is only melee range. Staff allows you to range from Time to time in open world, albo when lava font, overloads and meteors are doing their job you can focus on dodging/staying alive. Burning is much easier to maintain and you can equip trait that gives +20%dmg to enemies below 50%hp instead of fresh air.
I prefer staff but keep dagger in stash for occasional use.

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

Dagger isn’t actually melee range. Melee is 130 range. Dagger is 300-400. You kite even on dagger. I don’t find it too hard to avoid getting hit by melee. It’s the ranged attacks and big aoes that she’ll need to watch for. Being closer to your melee allies is what you want to be doing anyway, so everyone can support each other, and dagger ele’s extra range makes for a good way to learn imo.

in Elementalist

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

if she runs with other people, staff is great. If she solos, she may want to start out in dagger/warhorn (or dagger/dagger). You cannot avoid the mobs getting close to you, and as hard as HoT mobs hit, staff is awfully slow.

A d/w can tear through any mob in PvE. I switch to staff ocasionally out of boredom, but d/w is much more fluid getting around, getting auras on yourself/people, etc.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

staff is more mobile than d/w
The real problem with pve staff is that you don’t do much damage outside of fire, so if you need to access swiftness or defensive tools, you lock yourself out of your primary damage tools for 10 seconds. Working around that is the biggest challenge

You don’t need to keep mobs at 1200 range for staff to be good. It does just as much dps as d/w in close range. But you do have to manage your cooldowns more carefully

(edited by reikken.4961)

in Elementalist

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

‘You don’t need to keep mobs at 1200 range for staff to be good. It does just as much dps as d/w in close range. But you do have to manage your cooldowns more carefully’

thats the issue, play against anyone that knows staff ele at all and they will shut you down fast, cooldowns of aoe is irrelevant when you are targeted and you are staff, you cannot control engagement range.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

in Elementalist

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

The real problem with pve staff is that you don’t do much damage outside of fire, so if you need to access swiftness or defensive tools, you lock yourself out of your primary damage tools for 10 seconds. Working around that is the biggest challenge

Problem that is fixed using conjurer weapons and fresh air trait

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

You don’t need to keep mobs at 1200 range for staff to be good. It does just as much dps as d/w in close range. But you do have to manage your cooldowns more carefully

That’s not true though. Fresh Air staff is a viable build and some of the top raid groups have started using Fresh Air staff in place of normal staff build for all/most encounters.

Anet make Rev great again.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

nah, fresh air staff requires precise rotations. It’s less forgiving than normal fire staff.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

For soloing, I actually find d/wh or d/f (when more survival is needed, or a lot of projectiles are flying) to be easier myself. The damage is much easier to land, and more reliable. Staff often requires you basically stand in your fire fields and eat some damage to drop your own dps. D/wh can very easily kite enemies while keeping up great aoe pressure thanks to air auto-cleave and the large range of air overload.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

I used to run full carrion / rabid S/W tempest condi and it was amazing. So much condi application! Tons of bleed stacks and burn stacks.