Dependency on Water

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: Oogabooga.3812

Oogabooga.3812

I’m wondering, does anybody run a build without the Water trait line? I’ve found that it’s impossible to survive without it both in solo and group play, and I’ve played ele pretty much since release. I’m just tired of always having to choose water because of how flimsy the defense of the class is.

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

I’m wondering, does anybody run a build without the Water trait line? I’ve found that it’s impossible to survive without it both in solo and group play, and I’ve played ele pretty much since release. I’m just tired of always having to choose water because of how flimsy the defense of the class is.

For Spvp and WvW I don’t think there is a build that doesnt have water that is considered meta( or as functional as the current meta build.)
For PvE ( raids specifically) you dont take water trait line

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

For PvE? Nope, I run Fire/Arcane/Tempest, I find the Arcane traitline and more specifically the Final Shielding trait helps keep me alive better than the pity regen from Water. I’ve learned how much damage I can take before needing to use a heal or for emergencies swap over to water and wait for the overload.

As for WvW or PvP, I dunno as I don’t play those.

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

For Spvp and WvW I don’t think there is a build that doesnt have water that is considered meta( or as functional as the current meta build.)
For PvE ( raids specifically) you dont take water trait line

Ya but in pve most of the effects in the game do not realty do any thing. Pve in gw2 is mostly using dmg on skills and that it every thing else just dose not have a real use. Its far better to look at ele as a class from spvp and wvw or your just not looking at most of the skills.

They do need to add more clears on the other lines fire should have a clear on hitting ppl when they are burning, air needs clear on if they are stuned or would be stuned, earth has the when hit, arcain needs on arcain skill use, tempest needs to be clears on shouts, and i guess weaver needs clears on barro to some point.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nimrod.9240

Nimrod.9240

Im running fire/air/arcane fresh air staff core ele with zerker gear in WvW. I think my survival is pretty decent.

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I run hybrid power/condi Fire/Air/Tempest for PvE content.

Can’t survive without water in PvP. Water traitline could be baseline at this point.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Water trait line definitely makes everything easier but running fire/air/temp can also be useful for PvP.

Main thing about Water is the condi removal for me, fire only provides 3 every 40s or something crazy forcing me to rely on staff water 5 or water overload which becomes a very active play style not relying on passives to carry.

The biggest issue with this though, is that you’re not being the support the team expects you to be and it’s a very selfish build so while you can play these sorts of builds and be successful, it will only get you through so far. If you’re playing for rankings, it’s best to keep water as the fire/air build is mostly for fun.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Dependency on Water

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rain.9213

Rain.9213

I came up with a Weaver build using Earth/Arcane/Weaver but I have to wait till launch day to test it out.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAsdnMICdOg94CGOAM5iFNAbIAMAOg3/5A9hu4H0DyBA-jJRHQBerMAAOBAP8BA8h9HAA

Essentially though, the idea is that with all the evades, invulns, and barrier that Weaver gives out combined with its amazing sustain+evade with Water 2, you should be able to stay above 75% health or at least heal back up to it with Water 2 plus Arcane brilliance, which can combo for a really powerful heal especially if you hit an enemy, in order to keep shrugging off conditions. Running Focus offhand as well will allow you to cleanse 3 conditions in case of an emergency like suddenly getting 20 stacks of burning from a Guardian while below 75% hp. If not, dodge rolling into water attunement will remove a condition.

On paper, I think the build looks okay but again, I have to wait till launch to try it out properly. Running Earth with Diamond Skin is great too because that lets you also pick up Serrated Stones to increase your damage while also getting Geomancer’s Defense to help with soft cc’s and getting additional damage reduction from the minor traits in Earth.