Do Eles Fit the Mold?

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Typically when you think of a robed caster, you think of:

1. High AE damage (if not the highest in the game) and
2. Horrible ability to survive given such high damage.

Does the ele really fit either billing? (I tried every class on spvp for a couple of laurels each but this one is hard to really get initially).

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ElexOrieN.2130

ElexOrieN.2130

Perfect description of the elementalist.
Can hit hard but is weak in terms of self defense and basically a one hit victim.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ErazorZ.5209

ErazorZ.5209

Ele do little to no reall damage in staff, and if you ask me a robed caster isnt supposed to be wearing duel dagger, so no…

It definatly isnt the definition of a robe MMO caster.

At this moment in time i feel elementalist is a medium damage, low armor, high cooldown ‘Boon-kitten’

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ElexOrieN.2130

ElexOrieN.2130

Ele do little to no reall damage in staff, and if you ask me a robed caster isnt supposed to be wearing duel dagger, so no…

At this moment in time i feel elementalist is a medium damage, low armor, high cooldown ‘Boon-kitten’

You forgot aggro-magnet

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fasyx.9347

Fasyx.9347

Ele do little to no reall damage in staff

You clearly never played an elementalist.

24/7 Lavafont which hits 3-4k every second + autoattack which hits for 3k every second so you deal 6k dmg/sec. Now count in meteor shower(which can hit for 20K EACH HIT combined with tornado) and you have already the highest dps in the entire game. Add water 2, earth 2, frostbow and tell me again “Ele do little to no reall damage in staff”.

And now add a group of players who knows how to stack might, vulnerability etc. and you´ll get numbers like the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmo4FsMxPM

However, you are squishy as f…

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: vanensang.1389

vanensang.1389

AoE damage of Elementalist is too predictable and too easy to avoid. Thus he does not fit the mold. Furthermore the Elementalist does not even feel like a caster due to several reasons.

First off the game is too fast-paced for the Elementalist when wielding a staff. Most classes can easily close the gap of 1200 units. Moreover most skills of the Elementalist are executable while running. A traditional caster is static while doing a lot of damage. A static caster is traditional is a risk/reward role and the Elementalist has only two skills which fit this mold: Meteor Shower and Churning Earth.
And both skills actually do the biggest damage (not sure about Fire Grab right now).

All skills do little damage because the Elementalist is able to execute skills while running and his mobility/survival skills (which is not enough to justify it’s state right now).

No enemy would be standing long enough in a lavafont … Most enemies could easily avoid autoattack of the Staff Elementalist.

D/D and S/D actually feels like an elementalist-dancer which is a combination of an assassin and an elementalist.

I don’t realize Focus as an option for PvP purpose.

Actually the Elementalist just has the highest ranged AoE damage. Not the highest general AoE damage.

Kodash [DE]
Avallora Erasleigh // e
Tara Airgetlám // m

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Elementalist is one of the most popular classes. GW2 isn’t a traditional MMO see Engineer, Stealth, Thief, Dodge button, No Rage Timer, Healing, self heals, self sustain, lack of traditional trinity. There are probably many similarities to traditional thinking of MMO’s but there is also several differences.

Typically when you think of a robed caster, you think of:

Does the ele really fit either billing? (I tried every class on spvp for a couple of laurels each but this one is hard to really get initially).

1) Yes
2) Yes

if you want you can get 1 and 2. For PvP imagine you had 5 people standing around D/D Ele 30/20/10/10/0 full zerk and scholar runes you Burning speed+LF ROF and Fire grabbed or used the S/D combo double arcanes on both you probably will kill those 5 people.

If they breathed on you then you would probably die too. Sounds like it fits that traditional robed caster. So you can gear to fight that role but can you get away with it is another story in PvP anyway.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

ErazorZ.5209

24/7 Lavafont which hits 3-4k every second + autoattack which hits for 3k every second so you deal 6k dmg/sec. Now count in meteor shower(which can hit for 20K EACH HIT combined with tornado) and you have already the highest dps in the entire game. Add water 2, earth 2, frostbow and tell me again “Ele do little to no reall damage in staff”.

And now add a group of players who knows how to stack might, vulnerability etc. and you´ll get numbers like the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKmo4FsMxPM

Ele do no DPS.

Oh right im sorry, i thought people actually meant wvwvw since thats the only thing to do when you actually want to have fun.

Since PvEasy isnt really anything but mass mobs spamming 1.

You clearly never played wvw. where thiefs do more damage have more surivability etc.
Or warriors who can tank anything AND deal massive ammounts of damage with constant anti stun Or necro spamming who can just get twice the ammount of life while doing more tic dmg then your font can do to anyone standing still.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Fasyx.9347

Ele do no DPS.

Oh right im sorry, i thought people actually meant wvwvw since thats the only thing to do when you actually want to have fun.

Since PvEasy isnt really anything but mass mobs spamming 1.

You clearly never played wvw. where thiefs do more damage have more surivability etc.
Or warriors who can tank anything AND deal massive ammounts of damage with constant anti stun Or necro spamming who can just get twice the ammount of life while doing more tic dmg then your font can do to anyone standing still.

Rank 300 at WvW on my ele, but hey, I never played WvW

Oh and by the way: Thieves in a zerg are useless(only good for blasting fields with shortbow). When you get killed by a tanky warrior as an ele(especially d/d ele will bring down pretty much any warrior build besides condi build) it´s your fault. I think you should go and play some WvW, bro.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

@ErazorZ: Am I correct in assuming that you’re the type of player that measures WvW effectiveness by how well a profession can duel 1v1? Because I’ve no shortage on damage while fighting in the zerg. In fact, I believe the current ‘to beat’ is 20k per meteor in a Meteor Shower (that can hit 5 players per meteor, thus effectively going over the 5-man cap as well). I’ve yet to see a warrior (or warmachine) that can beat that.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

oZii.2864

@ErazorZ: Am I correct in assuming that you’re the type of player that measures WvW effectiveness by how well a profession can duel 1v1? Because I’ve no shortage on damage while fighting in the zerg. In fact, I believe the current ‘to beat’ is 20k per meteor in a Meteor Shower (that can hit 5 players per meteor, thus effectively going over the 5-man cap as well). I’ve yet to see a warrior (or warmachine) that can beat that.

Thibash didn’t you know if your profession+build can’t DOOL it isn’t good.

{Thief}

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Just drop the ranks, they mean absolutely nothing. Best way to get ranks is shameless karmatraining in the biggest zerg person can find, where nothing but number 1 works.

As for eles in wvw dealing damage….well they can, in which case i´d like to introduce them to our sideliners, they´ll make a rallybot out of any wannabe nuker.

For damage i find that necros are more reliable, naturaly tankier, and faster in dealing the said damage… superior class for organised nukes in other words. Ele nukes shine in really really really big groups, where there´s too much targets to effectively single out and destroy squishies aka. enough people to hide behind/people that ress said eles from dead.

In my personal opinion staff eles are best at being cc machines and waterboys.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

What did you just say?

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

Obvious troll is obvious. Ele Staff is currently highest DPS in the game.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Strang.8170

yea…if the enemy is gracious enough not to walk away from it.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

ErazorZ.5209

20K meteors are only possible if you use tornado.
blank meteors are NOT 20k. You try to hit 20k meteors in a zerg when ur lowarmor gets insta sniped and killed when you even start casting meteor shower, let alone, run ammock in a zerg with tornado on. and this is expecting people dont just.. get out of the shower since its VERY easy to get out of.

Also wvw ‘zergs’ are nothing but a numbers game, the one who has the biggest zerg or best commander wins, NOT the classes races or whatever. (except thief zergs cuz constant invisible rezzing should be nerfed)

In wvw, i mean, small skirmishes 5-10 man capping towers and taking sup camps. NOT the blob of infite pressing 1’s and following your commander sheppard like a sheep.

And at the guy above me, im sorry to say this but i already stated PvEasy is nothing more then spamming 1’s.

Also DPS is damage per second right?.. now add up all that cooldown time and see how well you score if your not a stationary ‘2,1’ presser in fire since this is not possible in wvw. ever.

Im talking about PLAYING a staff elementalist, not WATCH it do damage. (aka attunement dancing etc)

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Fasyx.9347

blank meteors are NOT 20k. You try to hit 20k meteors in a zerg when ur lowarmor gets insta sniped and killed when you even start casting meteor shower, let alone, run ammock in a zerg with tornado on. and this is expecting people dont just.. get out of the shower since its VERY easy to get out of.

Also wvw ‘zergs’ are nothing but a numbers game, the one who has the biggest zerg or best commander wins, NOT the classes races or whatever. (except thief zergs cuz constant invisible rezzing should be nerfed)

Tornado is an elite skill, tell me WHY you should not use it? It´s the same thing as might for, lets say, a warrior. Do you think warriors could output high numbers without might or vulnerability on the enemy?

As I already mentioned above, GO AND PLAY SOME WvW and come back. There are guilds like Good Old Days(GD) or Red Guard(RG) which destroy zergs two times there size. Numbers dont matters, classes do!(usually every top guild will run warriors, guardians and elementalists + a few necros and mesmers).

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Strang.8170

As I already mentioned above, GO AND PLAY SOME WvW and come back. There are guilds like Good Old Days(GD) or Red Guard(RG) which destroy zergs two times there size. Numbers dont matters, classes do!(usually every top guild will run warriors, guardians and elementalists + a few necros and mesmers).

It´s usualy more like necros and few eles and mesmers.
And usualy the eles don´t run all that glassy, it´s necros that deal bulk fo the damage along with the melee train.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

ErazorZ.5209

Tornado is an elite skill, tell me WHY you should not use it? It´s the same thing as might for, lets say, a warrior. Do you think warriors could output high numbers without might or vulnerability on the enemy?

Did you just .. not read what i typed out?

Before your Meteor shower is done casting your already instantly targetted.
If you want to go run in a ZERG being focussed when your casting Tornado youll be dead before the first meteor hits.

And this is also implying that people STAY in meteor showers. I really do hope you read this. People DONT stay in meteor showers. If you do, im sorry to tell you but, YOU need to go play some more WvW then.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arcturus.8109

Arcturus.8109

if you want you can get 1 and 2. For PvP imagine you had 5 people standing around D/D Ele 30/20/10/10/0 full zerk and scholar runes you Burning speed+LF ROF and Fire grabbed or used the S/D combo double arcanes on both you probably will kill those 5 people.

Hmm… let me guess, ele will be dead somewhere halfway on burning speed. Same thing as with earth 5 – great potential, almost useless on practice.

As for WvW – I play scolar fullzerk staff ele there and its a lot of fun. Surely you just cannot roam in small groups or solo in such build, but when it comes to zergfights you are doing just terrifying damage combined with decent CC. Don’t trust those who say that people aren’t taking this damage, if you place your attacks right – they do, they just have no choice. Absence of red circle on shower helps that too. Don’t believe those who say that you will be downed on sight – you wont. You have great defensive and escape abilities, 1200 range and whole your zerg for meatshielding. If you are doing right you’ll probably escape even when your zerg is defeated, even without fgs. And don’t believe those who say that zergfights are 1-spamming. Placing your attacks, managing fields and CC, thinking about self-security is challenging and fun.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

ErazorZ.5209

Hmm… let me guess, ele will be dead somewhere halfway on burning speed. Same thing as with earth 5 – great potential, almost useless on practice.

As for WvW – I play scolar fullzerk staff ele there and its a lot of fun. Surely you just cannot roam in small groups or solo in such build, but when it comes to zergfights you are doing just terrifying damage combined with decent CC. Don’t trust those who say that people aren’t taking this damage, if you place your attacks right – they do, they just have no choice. Absence of red circle on shower helps that too. Don’t believe those who say that you will be downed on sight – you wont. You have great defensive and escape abilities, 1200 range and whole your zerg for meatshielding. If you are doing right you’ll probably escape even when your zerg is defeated, even without fgs. And don’t believe those who say that zergfights are 1-spamming. Placing your attacks, managing fields and CC, thinking about self-security is challenging and fun.

Well i for one always dodge when i see a single meteor land, making the entire shower just a whack a mole ‘kill the ele when hes STILL busy casting!’

Also please enlighten the elementalist community as a whole by telling us what kind of mystical legendary ‘defensive’ capabilities your talking about.

Any thief/warrior can chase you till the bitter end since they have MORE mobility then any staff ele could ever wish for. And as it happens to be in wvw these days about 30% of all people ATLEAST are warriors and thiefs.

CCing zergs worked half a year ago, now every zerg has stability making ALL CC useless. Atleast if your fighting a non pug wvw server… waterfields are cool and all but i thought we where talking about a High damage low health ele, you know.. that wich does not heal even remotly enough to keep a zerg alive from a single superior arrow chart.

All your claims so far is what a small minority of cassual elementalist thinks because he could escape by running away after casting 1 meteorshower wich hit 3 people who dont know what meteor shower is to begin with so dont dodge. (and dont forget hitting a ram isnt effective use of meteor shower dps if zerg knocks on your door)

Please make a video or show some proof of what your claims are if you actually think you know better then the majority (i feel it is the majority after reading the forums/talking in wvw about ele) of staff users atm.

Because to be honest your either cassual, main another class and dont want ele to be competetive, or Anet balancing team fanboy in my honest opinion.

Oh and btw, using an enchanted broom to summon a cauldron is fun aswell, completely utterly useless, but fun. Fun doesnt mean balanced/competitve however.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arcturus.8109

Arcturus.8109

Last time I’ve checked my server was ranked 5th in EU WvW ladder and my ele’s rank was 85. So I guess I have an idea about WvW stuff.

Well i for one always dodge when i see a single meteor land, making the entire shower just a whack a mole ‘kill the ele when hes STILL busy casting!’
Any thief/warrior can chase you till the bitter end since they have MORE mobility then any staff ele could ever wish for. And as it happens to be in wvw these days about 30% of all people ATLEAST are warriors and thiefs.

So you’re sole purpose in zergfight is to dodge when meteor lands and then find that single pesky ele in whole enemy raid and kill him while he is still casting (which lasts ~1 second after that first meteor shows up)? Really? And then all thieves and warriors are rushing carelessly through that whole zerg to “kill da ele”? It isn’t “ele vs zerg”, you know, that green nicknamed guys around you exist for some reason.

Also please enlighten the elementalist community as a whole by telling us what kind of mystical legendary ‘defensive’ capabilities your talking about.

Burning retreat alone is one of the best defensive skills in game. Not to say about magnetic aura, lightning flash or two mistforms that actually make you unkillable in defence while you are on walls/near your portal.

So yes, stop whining that ele is kitten by default just because it is ele. It sucks in small frame pvp but in other aspects of game (dungeons, worldbosses, wvw zergs) it is pretty fine.

(edited by Arcturus.8109)

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

ErazorZ

Im talking about PLAYING a staff elementalist, not WATCH it do damage. (aka attunement dancing etc)

No, you’re talking about setting up the situation just right so your rediculous claims of ‘eles can’t deal dps’ becomes valid.

What you really mean to say is: “To me, eles do not deal enough damage in small fights for me to play them that way.”

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

oZii.2864

ErazorZ

No, you’re talking about setting up the situation just right so your rediculous claims of ‘eles can’t deal dps’ becomes valid.

What you really mean to say is: “To me, eles do not deal enough damage in small fights for me to play them that way.”

I think that is what he means but I don’t see the ele at anymore disadvantage then any other class. Small man fighting “Pug style” you can get away with being zerk on certain classes more often but if you are fighting a small man group they will figure out who is squishy and call target on it immediately. The only squishy that doesn’t get called out is a thief but we wait till they bite on something then blow it up “Hey I got a thief on me” = called target and dead thief easy.

Any organized small mans will pick out squishies and thieves are suppose to go after back line and warriors that are squishy will get rolled by the guardians and tankier warriors while the squishy ele in the back lays aoe. The squishy warrior flexes his superior mobility one of our thief goes and kills it. This is how almost every small man v small man plays out.

Organized roam groups like my guild, RIOT, BLNT, SWAG, RAGE/ILL, vT, AD/BSTY, FEAR, AGG. These are NA roam guilds that some people know are all in voice comms. Example RIOT has a Ele S/D we will pick it out cause we know he does damage on the same token when I am on my Ele I get picked out. Why go after Sanny since he is running a shield and a gs if he over extends we blow him up but he usually doesn’t alot of times he goes in runs out as a distraction. Instead we will go after one of the necros or mesmers. Which are usually very easy targets.

Most guild groups are in comm so nobody is safe tbh unless your in full sentinel/clerics class. I run full clerics armor with soldier/celestal/clerics trinkets occasionally for those thirsty thieves that see ele but I am just a distraction.

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Fasyx.9347

Did you just .. not read what i typed out?

Before your Meteor shower is done casting your already instantly targetted.
If you want to go run in a ZERG being focussed when your casting Tornado youll be dead before the first meteor hits.

And this is also implying that people STAY in meteor showers. I really do hope you read this. People DONT stay in meteor showers. If you do, im sorry to tell you but, YOU need to go play some more WvW then.

Maybe you´ll get insta targetted, because you have a bad movement. Chemso(Red Guard) wrote himself a guide, that a good staffele will go down only when your frontline is already dead. And that´s my experience in WvW too(I play his build).

Did you just .. not saw what I linked to youtube? Now tell me again, people dont stay in meteor showers, lavafonts and frostbow 4th skill…rolleyes

Your arguments are invalid and rediculous.

ErazorZ

+1
Cant agree more.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

it doesn’t fit. If you choose to go for your most extreme damage, you will still deal an amount of damage that all other classes can somehow equal, but you will be vapourized by a single glance from a fly.

A correct tradeoff for such squishiness would be damage level “wow you gotta be kiddin’ me” able to turn the tides of a big battle.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

You are just plain wrong.

Staff Eles are among the highest damaging characters in the game.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

In Roaming Groups or in small roaming fights, Staff Ele is not very good to use. I have died too many times in those situations.

That’s a whole different ballgame though from ZvZ. Staff Eles really shine in Zerg vs. Zerg battles. I have almost never died in ZvZ until the rest of the frontline has died, and I kill so many people with my meteor showers that I feel “Ultimate Dominator” isn’t such a pipe dream. In ZvZ, people are too busy to really notice an Ele who knows what he is doing and positions himself properly, and since Meteor Shower doesn’t have a red AOE, people often get blindsided by it and it goes into their “red AOE blindspot” so they tend to eat up the nukes like crazy.

And funny, this happens even on battlements when defenders trying to snipe from towers don’t realize they are being rained on. Not as often as it does in full open field ZvZ, but it happens enough that I can’t ever stop chuckling at the fools I nailed on those ACs and battements who got so engrossed sniping they didn’t realize they were already dead. And I admit, I am guilty of this too and have died to opposing Ele Meteos.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

A traditional caster is static while doing a lot of damage. A static caster is traditional is a risk/reward role and the Elementalist has only two skills which fit this mold: Meteor Shower and Churning Earth.

A

Everything you said was on the mark until this part. The ability to move while casting has nothing to do with being a caster. Tradition for the sake of tradition is dumb and pointless. Other game did it because they couldn’t do it initially and over time it became the norm.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

silvermember.8941

A correct tradeoff for such squishiness would be damage level “wow you gotta be kiddin’ me” able to turn the tides of a big battle.

That would be a nice trade off, then you remember Arenanet is brilliant when it comes to balancing and they will probably do the same great job they did with the elementalist in Guild wars 1.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

Against SKILLED players, most of the staff ele AOE is obsolete. New players
seem to think that the red circles are “healing showers,” but any good
player stays on the move and knows what to avoid.

Necro marks cannot be avoided that way, along with the AOE of many other
classes (ie thief shortbow). The MAIN problem with staff ele in WvW is
that high end guild zvz is nothing but a moving train. In other words, that
spot where you dropped Meteor Shower is already empty.

Defending/Offending a keep? Sure staff works well. I for one love staff ele the
best, but it has so many shortcomings. And I refuse to play a melee caster.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Strang.8170

That would be a nice trade off, then you remember Arenanet is brilliant when it comes to balancing and they will probably do the same great job they did with the elementalist in Guild wars 1.

Ah, the famous stomp to the ground and leave there to rot for few years.
When the buffs then finaly come any people still remaining sure as hell will appreciate them

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

yea…if the enemy is gracious enough not to walk away from it.

Enemies are often static and don’t move out of player AOE.

Anybody talking about a maximum or theoretical damage output will never refer to PvP content.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

silvermember.8941

Ah, the famous stomp to the ground and leave there to rot for few years.
When the buffs then finaly come any people still remaining sure as hell will appreciate them

I am sure all those people that were still playing in 2012 were so excited about those changes. I mean it only took 5 years after the fact to fix the elementalist, better late than never I suppose. something is better than nothing.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

The Ele from gw2 does not meet fully the traditional standard for Mage/caster type of class. Have you ever seen a Mage wielding a dagger and being melee type on other mmorpg? I haven’t and I still find it extremely weird. The Ele does have very powerful aeo and single target damage and excellent tools to survive long. It is just hard to play the profession really well as a starter.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MotherKitten.6795

MotherKitten.6795

It doesn’t fit the mold. Traditional mage can do a one shot AOE that blows a hole in the enemy line. The Lava Font/Meteor Shower does great dps on stationary targets but is not a one hit nuke.

Another thing, in the other MMOs I’ve played there is no limit to the number of enemy that can be targeted, all in range get hit. GW2’s limit on the number of targets an AOE can hit makes AOEs less useful and further distances any class in the game from the traditional mage role.

The Goderators have ruined this forum for me.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

The Ele from gw2 does not meet fully the traditional standard for Mage/caster type of class. Have you ever seen a Mage wielding a dagger and being melee type on other mmorpg? I haven’t and I still find it extremely weird. The Ele does have very powerful aeo and single target damage and excellent tools to survive long. It is just hard to play the profession really well as a starter.

Yeah it is kind of weird for a mage type to be wielding something other than a staff and blowing things up from range, but its fun. It was something different that they tried that ended up being pretty fun to use, sort of like the gun-mage from final fantasy. How often do you see magic users using guns? It worked out though and gun-mage was an awesome class. I’m actually hoping at some point ele gets dual pistols so i can have a gun-mage here too.

Do Eles Fit the Mold?

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Yeah it is kind of weird for a mage type to be wielding something other than a staff and blowing things up from range, but its fun. It was something different that they tried that ended up being pretty fun to use, sort of like the gun-mage from final fantasy. How often do you see magic users using guns? It worked out though and gun-mage was an awesome class. I’m actually hoping at some point ele gets dual pistols so i can have a gun-mage here too.

Yea indeed it is a fun new style. The dual pistols or a greatsword magic effects would be so great with the Ele.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!