Drake's Breath...

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

So currently it Inflicts 12 seconds of Burning (base) with it inflicting burning every 4 seconds for 3 seconds. Anyone else think that the skill would be better if it was like the tool tip implies -

That it inflicts 1 stack of burning every tick but rather than increasing duration the ticks increase the stacks of Burning so that its a much shorter duration but deals the same damage in a much shorter time.

Pretty much 12seconds Burning(1stack) Vs 3 seconds Burning(4 stacks)

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Would that be stronger – OF COURSE.

Is it justified/needed at all – ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Drake’s breathe is a fine skill as it is and is pretty balanced given the damage/condi/cooldown. It also benefits from burning being the strongest condi for non-condi builds by far, and applies a very nice burn to set up firegrab.

Ele can use a little more mobility/survivability, but don’t need this.

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

The problem being that due to its duration you will NEVER get the full duration of damage as it will be removed long before it ends thus reducing its damage quite a bit. Hell, i would take 2 stacks that last 6 seconds, over 1 stack that lasts 12 seconds but that is simply to long as you will never get the full damage of it, especially with ele that simply doesnt have the access to cover conditions like other classes.

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Fire doesn’t stack so 2 stacks of 6s is the exact same as 1 stack for 12 seconds.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Fire doesn’t stack so 2 stacks of 6s is the exact same as 1 stack for 12 seconds.

Exactly. The damage wouldnt be increased, the speed of the damage is all that would be increased making it alot more likely that all of it would be dealt. 12 seconds just seems far to long for me.

This ISN’T about buffering the overall damage, just changing it so that it is dealt faster. Which i guess in a way is an increase in DPS. Even if it mean a second

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

So you want everyone’s burning to stack? I don’t think you’ve thought this through.

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gokil.2543

Gokil.2543

Would that be stronger – OF COURSE.

Is it justified/needed at all – ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Drake’s breathe is a fine skill as it is and is pretty balanced given the damage/condi/cooldown. It also benefits from burning being the strongest condi for non-condi builds by far, and applies a very nice burn to set up firegrab.

Ele can use a little more mobility/survivability, but don’t need this.

+1 said it all.

[Walk] Elemelentalist
Youtube

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

So you want everyone’s burning to stack? I don’t think you’ve thought this through.

So from asking about ONE skill you assume that it means every burning source on every class? Really!? If i wanted it to be EVERY class and EVERY burning source i wouldnt have specifically said Dragon’s Breath, i mean its even in the title….

I will repeat just in case – the burning stacking would JUST be for Drake’s Breath NO other source affected and NO other classes affected…

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

I like it because it’s perfect for Fire Grabs extra damage, and is high burning uptime to keep dps up in between bursts vs regen heavy builds.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

cheese.4739

So from asking about ONE skill you assume that it means every burning source on every class? Really!? If i wanted it to be EVERY class and EVERY burning source i wouldnt have specifically said Dragon’s Breath, i mean its even in the title….

I will repeat just in case – the burning stacking would JUST be for Drake’s Breath NO other source affected and NO other classes affected…

So you want the burning to not be a condition, but some other effect? I really don’t see how this could possibly work if it’s to do this faster damage with the burning condition. Burning doesn’t stack, and it never will, from any source.

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

burning is fine as it is, the shorter duration on drakes breath burning (if it would stack) would be maybe a bit nice for condi eles(do they even exist?) but a huge nerf to power eles

reason:

w the fire minor grandmaster trait we deal more dmg to burning foes, so isnt it better if enemy burns?

same for fire dagger 5

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

So you want the burning to not be a condition, but some other effect? I really don’t see how this could possibly work if it’s to do this faster damage with the burning condition. Burning doesn’t stack, and it never will, from any source.

Again, i have no idea what you are even trying to say.
ALL i have said that Drake’s Breath should stack intensity rather than duration of burning. NOTHING else. We have plenty of other access to burning to get Fire Grab off as well so i don’t really consider that as a reason why its duration over intensity.

I will repeat: Intensity on this skill ONLY. No other skills changed, no other classes affected. I could maybe see it needing a few extra seconds cool down but i would take that if it meant that the Burning was 4 stacks for 3 seconds rather than 1 stack for 12 seconds.

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Again, i have no idea what you are even trying to say.
ALL i have said that Drake’s Breath should stack intensity rather than duration of burning. NOTHING else. We have plenty of other access to burning to get Fire Grab off as well so i don’t really consider that as a reason why its duration over intensity.

I will repeat: Intensity on this skill ONLY. No other skills changed, no other classes affected. I could maybe see it needing a few extra seconds cool down but i would take that if it meant that the Burning was 4 stacks for 3 seconds rather than 1 stack for 12 seconds.

He’s saying that Burning doesn’t work the way you describe… ever. It never stacks intensity.

In short, you are creating a new effect just for Drake’s Breath. Some special effect that stacks in intensity, but is not the Burning condition.

You understand that it makes zero sense for ANet to code Burning such that it stacks in duration for every skill except Drake’s Breath where it would magically stack in intensity?

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

He’s saying that Burning doesn’t work the way you describe… ever. It never stacks intensity.

In short, you are creating a new effect just for Drake’s Breath. Some special effect that stacks in intensity, but is not the Burning condition.

You understand that it makes zero sense for ANet to code Burning such that it stacks in duration for every skill except Drake’s Breath where it would magically stack in intensity?

For a skill that procs it for a few seconds that is okay but we have skills that proc it for upwards of 10seconds. On a player this is wasted as it will be removed way before it finishes.

So for a channel skill that inflicts burning i think it would be better if it stacked intensity at a short duration, hell i would take 2 stacks at 6 seconds. Anything other than 1 stack for 12seconds because it just won’t last the full duration

I mean Fire Signet alone is a 9second proc Arcane Power with Elemental Serge is 25seconds…

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asurmir.7956

Asurmir.7956

Burning is meant to be easily applied and easily removed. This is balanced by Burning being the most damaging condition with the least amount of stat input.

With that and everything every other post has said in mind:
What you are suggesting wouldn’t work with the mechanics behind burning.

Asurmir “The Heretic” Ravenclaw
http://tinyurl.com/oaxdkgt

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Burning is meant to be easily applied and easily removed. This is balanced by Burning being the most damaging condition with the least amount of stat input.

With that and everything every other post has said in mind:
What you are suggesting wouldn’t work with the mechanics behind burning.

The problem comes in, every other class that has GOOD and useful access to it has PLENTY of conditions to cover it. This is where i think changing it on ele for shorter duration by several stacks could make a condition build shine. Not in the way the current Meta is with just spam, spam, spam to cover the 2 danger conditions but to have “burst” of condition damage and then have to play a bit defensive but keeping the pressure up with things like Burning Speed before you can “Burst” the quick and painful burning again.

By being the most damaging condition and us having much less access to damaging conditions i think it would only be fair to shorten the duration and increase the stacks this way it won’t be easily and quickly removed. Unlike other classes that can use MANY different conditions that we have no access to, to cover the threatening ones.

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

cheese.4739

Um, ele has probably the best access to burning out of all classes.

We’re not in a great place for playing condition builds since we can only really apply bleeds and burning, and it’s hard to cover those with other non-damaging conditions, but it’s pretty easy to maintain burning on a target if you spec for it.

And once again: burning cannot and will not stack in intensity, ever. For what you want to be implemented, we’d need to see the burning from this skill changed to some other effect that behaves exactly like burning apart from how it stacks - and then how would this new effect interact with burning? Would new burning stacks add to the duration of the double-strength one? Would they function as a condition alongside this double-strength effect, meaning the target suffered from triple burning? It’s all overcomplicated and confusing.

This is an interesting idea, but it’s not a good one. There are other, much better ways to give elementalists viable condition builds.

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Oh so you spoke to the devs, and they told you that Burning can’t ever stack in intensity. While speaking to them did they tell you anything else? I mean the ONLY way for you to know that it cant “ever” be done is for the people that MAKE the game to actually say it.

I personally think it can be done, weather it does ior not that is up to the Devs. Yes we have plenty of access to burning but as we lack cover conditions the Burning can easily be removed. That is why for sort of class mechanic that we stack shorter burns but in intensity depending on the skill used.

Part of the problem with this game is that conditions all react the same and work the same no matter what class you are on. It would be a lot more fun and interesting if they worked different depending on the class. Burning stacking could be an Ele thing…

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Burning is good to counter regen builds like warrior it also does a pretty good amount of direct damage also.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Drake's Breath...

in Elementalist

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Burning is good to counter regen builds like warrior it also does a pretty good amount of direct damage also.

While true, they can easily remove it so it would be less of a threat. Due to our lack of covering Conditions. I think it would be okay for Drakes Breath to be a 2 stack, 6 second duration (base) condition.