Dropped Ranger and started an Ele. Advice?

in Elementalist

Posted by: dane.4608

dane.4608

Just as my rather cliche title says, I am giving up on my Ranger and committing my playtime to my new Elementalist. At level 16 now, I think I pretty much get how the weapon sets work. D/D seems like it’s good for solo/leveling/pvp while Staff is used more for group/WvW. I haven’t really tried the others. Should I?

Please share some advice with me? It’s such a beautiful game but I keep running into deadends being a Ranger for so long. I’m tired of being gimpy. I want to be useful in all aspects of the game. I want to enjoy dungeons as well as be able to hold my own in PVP/WvW. Thx in advance.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Welcome to the club. I had the same issue as it wasn’t just being up against a wall with the Ranger, but it was the most boring class I’ve ever seen in over 25 years of playing video games. You do nothing but run in circles and auto-attack all day every day regardless of it being PvP, WvW, or PvE.

The elementalist is a lot more engaging and you’ll have a very hard time switching from the elementalist to another class because no class has the same level of depth that the Ele has in my opinion.

Now that said, I honestly can’t stand the Ele much either as D/D I found very boring to play (you can be successful by litterally doing nothing but spamming anything off cooldown and saving water and RTL for emergencies), Scepter I enjoyed a lot but it’s near worthless in PvP because you simply can’t deliver its burst reliably enough, and Staff is very poor direct damage wise and has very limited burst options.

Just don’t find the Ele fitting my playstyle the way I wanted.

But yes, you certainly should try scepter as I had a lot more time leveling with it than I did with staff or d/d.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gallrvaghn.4921

Gallrvaghn.4921

I got one: Expect nerfs. Lots of it.

“The boss you just killed respawns ten minutes
later. It doesn’t care that I’m there.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Liquid.9672

Liquid.9672

D/D is definitely good for PvE leveling. You may want to give Scepter/Dagger a spin too. It plays similar but you get some range with the Scepter. Don’t ignore the staff either, if you have any intention of using it down the road in dungeons or WvW. Staff takes a little practice to get the hang of.

Zend(ario/imas/iana/ango) – Engi/Ele/Necro/Guardian
[KnT] – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: HappyHubris.1096

HappyHubris.1096

Advice: Don’t look back.

Ranger could be interesting, but the flimsy pet and snoozeworthy autoattacking is painful very quickly.

I got my ele to 72 mostly as D/D. It’s a fun class, but very rote in aura D/D PvE (you execute the same sequences over and over). I might try going further with S/F just to switch it up.

Mesmer is most to my liking, as it feels the most dynamic.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raptured.9307

Raptured.9307

Advice: look back. The way is shut. You’re moving from one subpar class to another that is quickly becoming even more subpar.
Source- lvl 80 ele, equips for both glass.bunker staff dd and sd specs. You don’t know what you’re missing until you try the other mainstream classes.

Rank 37 spvp, dungeon master
[HL] Deadly Protection @ Sanctum of Culling

in Elementalist

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

Scepter I enjoyed a lot but it’s near worthless in PvP because you simply can’t deliver its burst reliably enough,

You can’t deliver a burst with S/D????

Watch this guy

twitch.tv/phantaram

you can’t deliver burst 10/0/30/30 cookie cutter Cantrip build, switch to Arcana spells go little bit deeper into the air and tell that sentence again….

in Elementalist

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Scepter I enjoyed a lot but it’s near worthless in PvP because you simply can’t deliver its burst reliably enough,

You can’t deliver a burst with S/D????

Watch this guy

twitch.tv/phantaram

you can’t deliver burst 10/0/30/30 cookie cutter Cantrip build, switch to Arcana spells go little bit deeper into the air and tell that sentence again….

No need to watch it. I know the class’ limitations. Landing the tooth+phoenix+grasp combo is borderline impossible because using updraft as an opener doesn’t provide enough time to do it. You have to try and use these on oblivious opponents.

Scepter also has a range advantage over dagger, but for some reason you have to actually be even closer to the opponent for a lot of spells because of their delayed activation times.

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

You can always use signet of earth after magnetic grasp, its a long immob :p

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

Well as I said watch that stream that guys land the dragon tooth + phoenix combo after the updraft if his opponent doesn’t have stability…..

He is really good behind the keyboard….

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I was actually thinking of doing the opposite…that is play a ranger although I wouldn’t ever drop a character much less my elementalist. I know next to nothing about the class though. Why drop it though? Or do you mean you’re just taking a break from it?