Dying too easy after yesterday's update?

in Elementalist

Posted by: CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

I am level 55 S/D. Since level 50 used to go right up to three or four Icebrood Wolves in Wayfarer Foothills, cast off three fire spells and they’d be dead in seconds and I’d have 95% of my health. Never had to dodge or anything. And my build has been 10/10/5/5/10, not exactly a tank.

Today I start up the game walk to three Icebrood Wolves and I kill them quickly as usual – but my health is at 5%! I am getting my butt handed to me left and right today by enemies I never even had to dodge before. wth happened?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaosky.5276

Chaosky.5276

Dunno, but that’s what should be happening if you are killing them in seconds without dodging.

in Elementalist

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

Not if I’m level 55 in a low-level area. With all my gear and traits, low-level areas should be easier for high level characters. And it has been so far, and still is like that with my ranger. Just now my ele is taking 3-4 hits from a mob of 3-4 low-level enemies and I’m done. Did NOT used to be like that.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mil.3562

Mil.3562

With every update, Anet is trying to make the players weaker either by nerfing our skills or buffing mobs.

Personally I feel that a lv80 player with full exotic gears still has to struggle fighting mobs that are 50 levels below her is just plain ridiculous. They call it challenging. Why would a lv80 player go to a lv 30 map to find challenge?

They call it dynamic levelling adjustments. I call it dynamic level nerfing. This is why I have stopped playing.

If I want challenge I would go to Orr and not Queensdale. Really.

(edited by Mil.3562)

in Elementalist

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

A level 80 charc struggling to survive in a lv 10 mob map is called ridiculous, not challenging.

exactly. how is it fun to play a game where it feels like my character is never getting stronger? still have to struggle to beat the same enemies at lvl 55 that i struggled with at lvl 25?

i used to help out lower level players that i came across if they were getting bombarded by a mob, now i hesitate to help cuz i don’t wanna risk getting downed and then paying $$$ to fix high-level armor.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

With every update, Anet is trying to make our characters weaker. They call it Dynamic levelling adjustments. I call I dynamic nerfing. This is why I have stopped playing. A level 80 charc struggling to survive in a lv 10 mob map is called ridiculous, not challenging.

I guess 1 shotting monsters with one autoattack while running a full defensive build is a much greater challenge, right?

I have 0 issues with downscaling, I always 2-3 hit monsters even if they come in groups of 5+ and solo champs with ease.

Perhaps it’s time to revise your build? It’s not even funny how fast monsters die even when downscaled.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

Just played again against a SINGLE Icebrood Wolf in Snowden Drifts. His FIRST strike took HALF my health. When downed, my normal lightning strike which would take a good chunk of health from an enemy (which has saved this squishy class many times), now takes off not quite 10%. Complete BS man. I’m getting kitten now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: badmagick.8176

badmagick.8176

With every update, Anet is trying to make the players weaker either by nerfing our skills or buffing mobs.

Personally I feel that a lv80 player with full exotic gears still has to struggle fighting mobs that are 50 levels below her is just plain ridiculous. They call it challenging. Why would a lv80 player go to a lv 30 map to find challenge?

They call it dynamic levelling adjustments. I call it dynamic level nerfing. This is why I have stopped playing.

Perhaps you enjoy going god mode in lower areas once you’ve leveled past them but did you consider others may not? To me, being invincible and one shotting everything with >9000 overkill doesn’t sound like alot of fun. I love the fact that I get downleveled to an appropriate level for each area. It makes the content non trivial. Also I would hate doing low areas in god mode cause that would make them feel ‘old’. This way they feel more ‘current’ even if I come back to them 10-20 levels later, if that makes any sense.

@OP My ele is only 41 at the moment but I’ve had no problem whatsoever with survivability. Even solod a champion yesterday, took 8 mins to kill. I do make a habit of trying to dodge/blind/block the hard hitting abilities but then again that’s how its meant to be played isn’t it? Not dodging in light armor and then complaining about losing a lot of health to a 3 mob pull doesn’t make a lot of sense.

in Elementalist

Mil.3562

Perhaps you enjoy going god mode in lower areas once you’ve leveled past them but did you consider others may not? To me, being invincible and one shotting everything with >9000 overkill doesn’t sound like alot of fun. I love the fact that I get downleveled to an appropriate level for each area. It makes the content non trivial. Also I would hate doing low areas in god mode cause that would make them feel ‘old’. This way they feel more ‘current’ even if I come back to them 10-20 levels later, if that makes any sense.

@OP My ele is only 41 at the moment but I’ve had no problem whatsoever with survivability. Even solod a champion yesterday, took 8 mins to kill. I do make a habit of trying to dodge/blind/block the hard hitting abilities but then again that’s how its meant to be played isn’t it? Not dodging in light armor and then complaining about losing a lot of health to a 3 mob pull doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Perhaps you enjoy going nerf mode, spending 8 mins dodging like mad trying to kill a champion that is way lower level than you and calling that fun, but did you consider others may not?

If you don’t like One Shot kills everything, you still have choices, go Orr or some level 70-80 maps. But those that enjoyed easy kills while questing or travelling in lower level maps, do we have a choice? Nope.

To me and others, like OP, taking a full 8 min to kill a low level champion doesn’t make alot of sense. But I guess, to each her own.

(edited by Mil.3562)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Major Kaldash.3542

Major Kaldash.3542

To me and others, like OP, taking a full 8 min to kill a low level champion doesn’t make alot of sense. But I guess, to each her own.

It makes sense considering they can drop the same loot as the higher level champions.

They increased the downscaling when they allowed all the mobs to drop the player’s level gear it’s part of their plan for players to get rewards from low level areas but not make it so farming low levels is better then higher level mobs.

in Elementalist

Posted by: pmnt.4067

pmnt.4067

If you enjoy content being obsolete because you outgear it, play ANY OTHER MMO out there. Seriously. It’s one of the few unique features GW2 still has. GW2 has a long way to max level like any other MMO (there’s just number progression after 30 – do you rally need 50 levels for 10 traits?), BiS gear takes ridicously long to get like in any other MMO (I’m looking at you, ascended trinkets) … so don’t take level scaling away.

I can’t wait until ANet releases the game promoted in the manifesto.
Until that, I’ll play GW2.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mr Fancypants.1270

Mr Fancypants.1270

This was supposed to have happened the patch before. dynamic level scaling was suppose to have been tweaked where you are weaker scaled down, more powerful adjusted up. not sure if they tweaked it a bit from current patch

in Elementalist

Posted by: Oranisagu.3706

Oranisagu.3706

icebrood wolves only have one highly damaging move which is telegraphed and can be easily dodged. every other attack is pretty weak. they still take as much damage as before.
being in a lowlvl area is no excuse to play bad, it just allows you to run through faster while playing just as well as in a highlvl area.

especially as an ele you shouldn’t even get hit by them, with d/d you can just use #3 in fire and evade their first attack while closing the gap and doing damage.

overleveled chars still feel quite a bit stronger than lowlvl chars, I’m leveling a guardian atm and in the starter zones I usually try to group up 3-6 enemies for faster disposal – though I can keep blinds up nearly 100% so I don’t really take dmg anyway.

in Elementalist

Mil.3562

If you enjoy content being obsolete because you outgear it, play ANY OTHER MMO out there. Seriously. It’s one of the few unique features GW2 still has. GW2 has a long way to max level like any other MMO (there’s just number progression after 30 – do you rally need 50 levels for 10 traits?), BiS gear takes ridicously long to get like in any other MMO (I’m looking at you, ascended trinkets) … so don’t take level scaling away.

Actually, I am expecting this ‘go play other MMO’ trolling to come in sooner LOL

I still love this game that is why I bother to post my opinions and comments. A few of my friends have totally given up and they don’t even bother to visit the forum anymore.

You bet I will play other MMO. It really hurts me to see a game that I love alot and have spent so much time and money over the months but only to realise that slowly, but surely, drifting away from what makes it fun in the first place.

I am still hoping things will change but knowing Anet, even if it comes it may be too little, too late.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

Just played again against a SINGLE Icebrood Wolf in Snowden Drifts. His FIRST strike took HALF my health. When downed, my normal lightning strike which would take a good chunk of health from an enemy (which has saved this squishy class many times), now takes off not quite 10%. Complete BS man. I’m getting kitten now.

Learn to dodge? Honestly, how the hell did you get to 55 as an ele without learning to dodge? Stayed in Queensdale all this time?

You guys complaining about downscaling, you realize that low level mobs often drop loot at your level, right? You think oneshot mobs that drop high level loot wouldn’t be such a farming temptation every farmer in the game would swamp starter areas?

Or is that what really upsets you? That you can’t spam autoattack and farm lowbie areas anymore?

You think this is hard, wait until they add new DE scaling to the rest of the world. Ask Orr farmers how that one worked out for them. :p

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

in Elementalist

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

learn to dodge? brilliant. maybe you can tell me what those icons at the bottom of the screen do.

if you like playing the game as a challenge, that’s fine. you’re entitled to your preferences. so what makes you so great that me and Mil are not entitled to our preference of how we like to play?

if low levvel areas are easy and high level areas are hard, then we all get to play how we like. but no, you’d rather eveyone play how YOU want them to play. that’s a kitten move. you don’t see me and Mil telling you the whole game should be catered to our preference.

besides, I DO play in high level areas and WvW and I love it. but sometimes I like to go back to easier areas and just explore, help out newbs and such. It is kitten that I have to risk fixing high level armor to just walk around.

But I guess you guys would just rather there be no levels at all. Cuz if they are all the same difficulty, what’s the point?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

What is the point of one shotting a champion (if you really want to one shot something go to a 1-15 zone with an 80 in exotics and hit any regular mob)? Simple fact is that this game chooses to be more challenging than normal regardless of level. If you equate progression with level number and nothing else then this unfortunately isn’t the game for you. that is YOUR preference.

in Elementalist

Gaudrath.6725

learn to dodge? brilliant. maybe you can tell me what those icons at the bottom of the screen do.

if you like playing the game as a challenge, that’s fine. you’re entitled to your preferences. so what makes you so great that me and Mil are not entitled to our preference of how we like to play?

if low levvel areas are easy and high level areas are hard, then we all get to play how we like. but no, you’d rather eveyone play how YOU want them to play. that’s a kitten move. you don’t see me and Mil telling you the whole game should be catered to our preference.

besides, I DO play in high level areas and WvW and I love it. but sometimes I like to go back to easier areas and just explore, help out newbs and such. It is kitten that I have to risk fixing high level armor to just walk around.

But I guess you guys would just rather there be no levels at all. Cuz if they are all the same difficulty, what’s the point?

I’m sorry, but low level areas are easy. Pushover, in fact. Then again, so is Orr. You think Orr is hard? It’s not.

If you are getting killed in lowbie areas, you need to improve your playing skill. A lot. Maybe stop clicking the skill icons?

So to answer your original question, no, dying easily in this game is not an issue. Maybe if you insist on facetanking mobs with your “fire mage” or something, but all things considered, PvE in this game is really not that challenging at all.

And my argument about lowbie mobs being farmed still stands. Read it again. Lowbie mobs can drop lvl 80 loot. Still think oneshotting them is a good idea?

~ Piken

in Elementalist

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

who said anything about oneshotting champions? my complaint is that i am getting dropped by LOW LEVEL monsters who can take HALF my freaking health in one hit. that is night and day change from what it used to be earlier this week.

i cycle thru attunements, I use my healing skills, stack might and DODGE. i’m fairly certain I could survive against any of you kitten So I SHOULD be able to facetank low-level monsters without them dropping me in three hits. i could before, now I can’t. I can still do it with my ranger, my ele not. that was what I was asking, did anyone else experience the same. i don’t care about your personal opinions that facetanking monsters is some sort of offensive way to play.

you guys talk all big and bad on the forums like you never get hit ever. kitten that you know kitten well no one can dodge everything. unless you’re in a mob where they’ve all agreed to attack the same time, you WILL get hit. and my point is yeah i expect to have to work for veterans and champions in any level, but low level monsters NO.

if you wanna cry about low level monsters dropping crazy loot, then nerf the drops, don’t make low level areas harder to survive in.

anyways apparently it’s just me, so i gotta look at if i changed something in my traits or gear that I have to run from a mob of low-level enemies now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

Don’t know how you play or what your play style is. But, my S/D ele can facetank low level mobs. I see no issue with this…

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

in Elementalist

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

Don’t know how you play or what your play style is. But, my S/D ele can facetank low level mobs. I see no issue with this…

thank you. that’s what I wanted to know, I’m actually relieved that it’s just me. my experience with veterans and champs is unchanged, I can pretty easily beat veterans solo by kiting, dodging, cycling thru attunements to build might and critical hit chance. Need help from two or three peeps to take out a champ. it’s my ability to facetank low-level enemy mobs that has taken a drastic turn for the crappy.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Voxdeus.1034

Voxdeus.1034

I believe I know what is happening to you. You’re straddling a portion of the zone where the dynamic level range changes and being forced to a lower level than the mobs you’re fighting. It has happened to me a few times in very specific spots.

What you basically have to do is speed past those mobs Into the higher level area of the zone and then fight them once you’ve been dynamically boosted to theintended level.

This is the only reason ive ever seen for non champ mobs to hit that hard regardless of your profession.

in Elementalist

Gaudrath.6725

As others have mentioned, Icebrood wolves have a strong opening attack that can easily rip out a third of your health.
If you are specced as a GC, and don’t dodge a pack, they can down you instantly if all their attacks land at once.

~ Piken

in Elementalist

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

Actually, I am expecting this ‘go play other MMO’ trolling to come in sooner LOL

I still love this game that is why I bother to post my opinions and comments. A few of my friends have totally given up and they don’t even bother to visit the forum anymore.

You bet I will play other MMO. It really hurts me to see a game that I love alot and have spent so much time and money over the months but only to realise that slowly, but surely, drifting away from what makes it fun in the first place.

I am still hoping things will change but knowing Anet, even if it comes it may be too little, too late.

You claimed to have stopped playing the game yet still come to the forums to spew senseless negativity….that sounds like a troll to me (talk about the pot calling the kettle black -__-). At the very least a troll is supposed to make people get upset (still utterly ridiculous but they take ‘pride in it)…but I bet people who read your previous posts along with this just think you’re stupid…fail troll is fail.

On topic-I haven’t noticed any real issue with dying in downscaled areas, just had to use skills other than auto attack a bit more; no real difference to me

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The idea behind GW2 is that “everything” is endgame. That each place is challenging and offers good rewards to you. This is a selling point of this game, and the closer the devs reach this goal each update, the closer they are to their vision. GW2 was always advertised as a skill-based game, where the player’s skill is more relevant than their stats.

Also, keeping things challenging creates a sense of danger while exploring the world. To many players, this makes the game exciting. Far more exciting than spamming auto-attacks for half an hour and getting useless lv5 equipment loot. The downleveling system makes it so that, each time you have to go to a new map to explore it, you’ll have to explore an exciting new place with danger everywhere, and not mindlessly grind low-level mobs/ events for the sake of world exploration.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in Elementalist

Mil.3562

You claimed to have stopped playing the game yet still come to the forums to spew senseless negativity….that sounds like a troll to me (talk about the pot calling the kettle black -__-). At the very least a troll is supposed to make people get upset (still utterly ridiculous but they take ‘pride in it)…but I bet people who read your previous posts along with this just think you’re stupid…fail troll is fail.

On topic-I haven’t noticed any real issue with dying in downscaled areas, just had to use skills other than auto attack a bit more; no real difference to me

Just becos I have stopped playing, I am not allowed to post in this forum? And posting my preference of play at low level maps, which is the opposite of yours makes me a troll? And you call me stupid LOL. Look who’s talking. Grow up pls.

You haven’t noticed any real issues so that means they don’t exist. Yeah right.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xynn.2748

Xynn.2748

ele isn’t a tank unless geared and spec’d right. scepter is bad. just bad. No, stop, it’s bad. play d/d and be overpowered and complain about the 5s rtl nerf.

in Elementalist

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

I believe I know what is happening to you. You’re straddling a portion of the zone where the dynamic level range changes and being forced to a lower level than the mobs you’re fighting. It has happened to me a few times in very specific spots.

What you basically have to do is speed past those mobs Into the higher level area of the zone and then fight them once you’ve been dynamically boosted to theintended level.

This is the only reason ive ever seen for non champ mobs to hit that hard regardless of your profession.

You sir, I believe, are exactly right. I’m level 59 now, didn’t change any gear or traits and I can facetank a pack of level 11 Icebrood wolves again without losing 97% of my health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

After reading most of this thread I conclude that this was most likely a l2p issue

/close ty

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rain King.5914

Rain King.5914

They increased rewards in lower level areas but reduced our stats even more to compensate for the increased rewards: otherwise everyone would just be steamrolling through the easier areas for the better rewards and the end game maps would be empty.