Elemental Contingency ICD quick question.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dragonic Elemental.2674

Dragonic Elemental.2674

Q:

Is the Elemental Contingency ICD of 10 seconds for the entire effect of the trait, or for each individual attunement, as it is with Evasive Arcana? Otherwise, tell me if you are sure that this is unknown as of now.

May the Six watch over us. And come back to Tyria soon.

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrow.2364

sorrow.2364

A:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Dev-livestream-Ready-Up-March-28-12pm-PvP-Rewards-Next-phase/first#post3823183

Apparently, Elemental Contingency has a 10s global cooldown.
I guess we better stick with Evasive Arcana then.

in Elementalist

Posted by: KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

KrazyFlyinChicken.5936

That’s a good question. I would assume that it is a different ICD for every attunement, otherwise the trait is completely worthless.

Fort Aspenwood – Elementalist
Character name: Azilyi

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dragonic Elemental.2674

Dragonic Elemental.2674

Yeah I think this is very important for the viability of the trait… Even more so because it’s competing with Evasive Arcana

May the Six watch over us. And come back to Tyria soon.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

Ta for the link, sorrow.

Looks like both Blinding Ashes and Elemental Contingency are... terrible. Duelling Ele will continue to have huge disadvantages against Mesmers and Thieves, and these traits are pretty ineffective against foes with so many attacks they can hit with.

At least we might be able to beat (non-condition) Warriors now, if nobody else.
Wooo. -_-

Edit: oh, cool, and Lingering Elements is still a pretty pointless minor, with the Earth and Water effects being the only ones with even silghtly useful effects. Yey for 15 point traits in the profession mechanic line!
::comparison to Fast Hands::

(edited by cheese.4739)

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

At least Stone Heart has some potential in bunker/brawler type builds (either staff or d/d) and the water trait might see use for people who want to play support ele (if a group has enough guardian’s to handle condi cleanse).

But yes, elemental contingency, blinding ashes, and lightning rod are pretty much garbage. Lightning rod is almost NEVER better than either fresh-air or tempest defense even. Fresh air is way more damage, and gives you access to defensive measures in air, whereas lightning rod gives you 4s of weakness, 2 of which the opponent is cc’d already? Its basically only every worth ANYTHING with shocking aura. Why would I take a trait that makes shocking aura marginally better?

(edited by BlackBeard.2873)

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

They killed me with that one! It makes no sense because nobody will take it over EA. Boon duration is already going to take a hit in PvE/WvW so I don’t understand why it isn’t just 10 sec icd per attunement just like EA is. I was going to give it a try assuming a 10 sec icd per attunement because that just makes sense now I don’t plan to.

I’m a reasonable person usually and think with a open mind on balance but this one baffles me. Even blinding ashes I can kind of see the thinking because it follows the standard pattern for traits of that type, though I think a cap of 3 is better.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

“We want to create diversity!”
“How so?”
“By making more traits! But that are less useful!”
“O-oh…oh-kay…”

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

They killed me with that one! It makes no sense because nobody will take it over EA. Boon duration is already going to take a hit in PvE/WvW so I don’t understand why it isn’t just 10 sec icd per attunement just like EA is. I was going to give it a try assuming a 10 sec icd per attunement because that just makes sense now I don’t plan to.

I’m a reasonable person usually and think with a open mind on balance but this one baffles me. Even blinding ashes I can kind of see the thinking because it follows the standard pattern for traits of that type, though I think a cap of 3 is better.

Yeah. I was assuming it would work like EA where the ICD was per attunement. Now I don’t even see a reason for getting it over EA.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

Thank you for the answer, i was wondering the same question.

So as a result, out of the 5new trait, none is viable. I only see one good use: lightning rod in WVW staff, could be fun to interrupt a whole blob and see a toons of lightning fall from the sky XD
… but i guess compared to tempest defense, it would be such a bad DPS trait, so may be for fun)

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

where i can find this new trait description?
Latest i hear were stone heart and the fire blind….

did they announce some new?

P.S. found …i tend to ignore stuff that starts with “when struck”

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

So as a result, out of the 5new trait, none is viable.

Yeah, and the funny thing is: the reason for that are Anet’s design decisions. Blind on burn would have been awesome if it were a cooldown per target, so you could rely on it not being wasted on a ranger spirit or something. EC would have been usable if the cooldown was per boon, not overall. Extra healing would be neat, if healers actually served a purpose.

Stone Heart is just to stop us complaining about thieves and warriors (you have a trait to combat them now, not allowed to complain if you don’t take it) and that leaves us with the air trait…which would have been so much beter if it could have been combined with the other grandmaster trait. But I suppose that at least has a purpose…niche as though it may be.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

cheese.4739

P.S. found …i tend to ignore stuff that starts with “when struck”

Iunno, “when struck” can be a pretty useful trigger, since you’re likely to get hit quite often in combat. The things that ruin them are global ICDs for attunements or foes hit.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

i d argue it depends wich build do you use…
If i am hit 2-3 times i already lost the fight usually…so i don t get hit much.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

cheese.4739

It mostly depends who you’re fighting, and what build they use. Rangers, for example, tend to pew pew pew and take many small hits to kill you – Necromancers and Engineers also usually do a few, as well as some Thief builds and your DPS Guards.

The only folks who’ll reliably kill you in a couple of hits are probably your Backstabbers and most Warriors, who we’ll likely always struggle against – I guess Stone Heart might help a bit with its anti-crit, but there’s not much you can do against stunlock chains on shorter cooldowns than all of your defensive skills.

in Elementalist

LordByron.8369

My (personal) view on the skill and on the matter in general (WWW not pvp)

Fighting with thieves and warriors is what pushed me in leaving PVT for some real DPS.

Pressure can avoid them to make their game…and maybe you can try to kill them before they run away.

On the contrary you don t stand a chance tanking because of ele absurd CDs..

Example:
Want to hit me? i have arcane shield air 3, some CC and burst…so you have to react me rather me having to react you.

But once my stuff is on CD ._. well you may win…

If you play tanky, you will waste your CD reacting to an opponent setting up his longbow field/condition+stun and ignoring your damage….

At that point crit or not you don t stand a chance…..once your skills are all on CD theirs are fully recharged twice.

GW2 balance: