Elementalist and Burning

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

After reading Warrior’s berserker elite reveal I was struck by how now the Warrior and the Guardian have not only better condition build compatibility … but have superior burning abilities than a class that has actual control over fire itself. How does that happen?

80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I gave up on that, man. Long, long ago. This game has way too few mechanics related to burning, whereas guardians have quite a few, and guardians/engie/berserker make much better use of this particular condition. I was honestly hoping for whatever the elite spec was, to be focused on burning, because it only made sense that a class which thematically produce fire could have plenty of mechanics associated with it.

I main an ele since first closed beta, back in 2012. I tried all weapons and liked a lot the burning produced by dagger mainhand, but that’s just that: burning. No mechanics, no traits, nothing that could expand the class in that sense. Sad ele, couldn’t follow Avatar path.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: cursE.1794

cursE.1794

http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAodhcMosh9NwuB8RMIAYRAoAUEnfwOoIUby2QaA-T1hAABws/Qi6BOS9HJVC2xJAAgHAgYK/IEgi1A-w

There you go, burning ele for wvw. Took me like 2 minutes to throw together. Take a look at drake’s breath and signet of fire tooltips. Crushes probably anything you will engage in a 1on1. Super cheesy and super boring though, mobility only through fgs. Condition builds may be hard to counter though. Or necros running the right traits/signets.

(edited by cursE.1794)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

http://de.gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAodhcMosh9NwuB8RMIAYRAoAUEnfwOoIUby2QaA-T1hAABws/Qi6BOS9HJVC2xJAAgHAgYK/IEgi1A-w

There you go, burning ele for wvw. Took me like 2 minutes to throw together. Take a look at drake’s breath and signet of fire tooltips. Crushes probably anything you will engage in a 1on1. Super cheesy and super boring though, mobility only through fgs.

This is why they just add things to elite specs, instead of dramatically changing mechanics/gameplay.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

There you go, burning ele for wvw. Took me like 2 minutes to throw together. Take a look at drake’s breath and signet of fire tooltips. Crushes probably anything you will engage in a 1on1. Super cheesy and super boring though, mobility only through fgs. Condition builds may be hard to counter though. Or necros running the right traits/signets.

No condition clearing, no crit to proc burns, no mobility = dead. The entire class has been pigeon holed into having Water + Cantrips + Arcane and our new elite line does nothing to alleviate this to allow any sort of diversity. Let alone a viable condition damage.

(edited by Taldren.7523)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

Yeah, I tried that “build” in sPvP and it has no redeeming qualities.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Try it that way….

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAodhcMosh9NwxB8RMIAYRAIUWEngwOoIIbgQwRE-TJRFABAcCAwZ/hkfAAWVGAA

It will hit hard but its glassy.
Dont underestimate the auras here:
You have: fire aura from swap + focus, shock aura from tempest defence + dagger.
You get ferocity + swiftness + protection from auras. You propably won´t last long but the match should be over fast.

But it has holes.
Without lighning flash its missing mobility.
No stunbreaker and stab can be hard.
Low HP and no regen. Kill or die

Variant not glass cannon. But reduced damage (low crit) with low mobility can mean oponent disengages much.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJAodhcMovhlNwxB8RMYAYRAIT2DncwMoHITgMQIA-TJRHwAw2fAZZABnAAAPAAA

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: GussJr.1643

GussJr.1643

I’ve been running this and really enjoy the burning…but is also extremely glassy. Mainly for PvE and WvW

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFEQJAodnMIC9NglNA2NA8RgBBALCAhyHwED2BFhaT2ETDA-TxhAABVr+DM7PctyPoPBAA8AAiWPAbKBDAgAcxWMAO5JP5JP5J7iX8iX8iXsUAPqsC-e

~COLLAMETTA~DELVANAI~

(edited by GussJr.1643)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Erm two things. One, Elementalists are actually one of the more problematic burners in pvp, even if their pve burn dps isn’t the same as the others.

More importantly this is a very slippery slope of an argument… “Why aren’t Elementalists the best with burn, we control fire itself,” could be extended to every element…
“why aren’t we best with chill, we attune directly to cold and water.”
“How are we not the fastest class. We control air and LIGHTNING.”
“How are guardians tankier than us? We can literally control bolders and stone shields/barriers of rock and metal elements.”

Theme often has little to do with potency and power. Also, guardians burn from light and radiance. Light is very powerful at burning.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ramethzero.3785

Ramethzero.3785

@OP: “After reading such and such about X” I stopped right there.

Making grand assumptions about something that hasn’t even been in the players hands is purely contrived nonsense. Reading a blurb doesn’t make you an expert on something. This goes double for anyone who has no actual experience with the say a thing handles on the live servers.

The only thing that would have made your post even more of a salty whine would have been to add ‘Thanks Obama’ at the bottom. Cheers to you for not being part of that crowd.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

The hell are you talking about OP?

Ele’s have ridiculous amount of applications for burning.
Guardian might have slightly more but thats kitten near there only condi lol.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

What I “the hell” am talking about is exactly what I said. Here, let me repost it so you can read it again …

After reading Warrior’s berserker elite reveal I was struck by how now the Warrior and the Guardian have not only better condition build compatibility(1) … but have superior burning abilities(2) than a class that has actual control over fire itself. How does that happen?

Point 1: Elementalists do not have a viable condition spec for anything outside of zerg/guild WvW. Even those that have posted builds in this thread admit upfront that you are a Glass Cannon that melts to Condition Specs and have no mobility by trying it. That is NOT viability. Nor is your statement about guardians only having burning … WTF do elementalist have other than burning? Bleeds? Please don’t tell me you honestly think we have viable bleed access. Poison? Nope. Torment? Nope. So, seriously … WTH are you talking about?

Point 2: We have 2 abilities on dagger that produce burning. Elementalist are not viable attempting to stick to a single attunement. We have no other burns in our rotation. Add the two together kitten .

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

Making grand assumptions about something that hasn’t even been in the players hands is purely contrived nonsense. Reading a blurb doesn’t make you an expert on something. This goes double for anyone who has no actual experience with the say a thing handles on the live servers.

The only thing that would have made your post even more of a salty whine would have been to add ‘Thanks Obama’ at the bottom. Cheers to you for not being part of that crowd.

In other words you don’t know what the hell you are talking about because you didn’t read. Great, so this is just contrived ignorant nonsense because you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks Obama.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Erm two things. One, Elementalists are actually one of the more problematic burners in pvp, even if their pve burn dps isn’t the same as the others.

More importantly this is a very slippery slope of an argument… “Why aren’t Elementalists the best with burn, we control fire itself,” could be extended to every element…
“why aren’t we best with chill, we attune directly to cold and water.”
“How are we not the fastest class. We control air and LIGHTNING.”
“How are guardians tankier than us? We can literally control bolders and stone shields/barriers of rock and metal elements.”

Theme often has little to do with potency and power. Also, guardians burn from light and radiance. Light is very powerful at burning.

Finally someone says it, thank you.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

SkiTz.4590

What I “the hell” am talking about is exactly what I said. Here, let me repost it so you can read it again …

After reading Warrior’s berserker elite reveal I was struck by how now the Warrior and the Guardian have not only better condition build compatibility(1) … but have superior burning abilities(2) than a class that has actual control over fire itself. How does that happen?

Point 1: Elementalists do not have a viable condition spec for anything outside of zerg/guild WvW. Even those that have posted builds in this thread admit upfront that you are a Glass Cannon that melts to Condition Specs and have no mobility by trying it. That is NOT viability. Nor is your statement about guardians only having burning … WTF do elementalist have other than burning? Bleeds? Please don’t tell me you honestly think we have viable bleed access. Poison? Nope. Torment? Nope. So, seriously … WTH are you talking about?

Point 2: We have 2 abilities on dagger that produce burning. Elementalist are not viable attempting to stick to a single attunement. We have no other burns in our rotation. Add the two together kitten .

the kitten?
I’m talking specifically about burning, no other condis.
I know ele’s dont have any good condi spec, thats not what this is about
Its about how much access ele has to burning

dude, D/D ele has plenty

3 from the weapons (drakes , burning speed and rof)
2 if you take cleansing fire + the trait OR burning precision (either one constantly burns)
another from attuning to fire to get fire shield which also applies burning

so idk wtf you are talking about

Ele in fact has a good selection of constant burn application, better than most.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

the kitten?

Um, I made the thread, Yes … that is what it is about. Having access but no viability means exactly what? The same as the highest number you can imagine times 0.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Burning is pretty much ele’s only condition as well.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

SkiTz.4590

Burning is pretty much ele’s only condition as well.

Only useful one yea. They got bleeds but not as reliable. They have traits and skills like glyphs and arcane precision, etc. more so than guardians at least but still in the same boat as burning is their only dangerous one.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

SkiTz.4590

the kitten?

Um, I made the thread, Yes … that is what it is about. Having access but no viability means exactly what? The same as the highest number you can imagine times 0.

Ok, ele doesnt have a viable condi based spec. Blame anet for making tempest useless for condi builds…

Ill give u point 1. I wish ele had viable condi specs..
Still doesnt change that fact ur point 2 was wrong as kitten.
Ele is strong in pvp cause of their fire line and burn synergy

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mattmatt.4962

Mattmatt.4962

Not even re-pointing the fact that you’re off-subject, some already did it

What about spec patch ?
Everyone said condi will end up OP => they did
Everyone said ele would become thrash tier due to powercreep on other class => would happenned if they didnt ninja (last second patch) increased burning on every Dagger fire spell (we all know the only real viable build if 10011)

Everyone said tempest would suck when they POI-ed it => BWE showed that we were right.
Everyone said chronomancer would be good (near OP) => it is

Should i continue ?
You absolutly can predict if things are going to be bad or good when it’s all about maths

Tempest seems made careful not to make ele better in any way, since that would be bad

It does the job well :-)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

the kitten?

Ok, ele doesnt have a viable condi based spec. Blame anet for making tempest useless for condi builds…

Ele is strong in pvp because of their fire line? That doesn’t line up at all with empirical evidence that suggests that Ele is strong in PvP because of Air-Water-Arcane D/D, Staff, D/F, and sometimes S/F. I mean, I know that Fire-Water-Arcane is viable with D/F, but its hardly the go-to setup for ele … certainly not popular enough to consider what makes Ele strong in pvp.

Scepter and Staff don’t make for decent burning weapons, while dagger locks us into short range combat only which is very problematic given the lack of condi synergy trait choices and gear selection in PvP that forces us into glass cannons.

I especially dislike the entire “30% chance of burn on a crit” trait considering that results in a 15 to 18% chance of a burn at best in sPvP outside of the fire line which we often find ourselves as Ele isn’t viable sitting in any one spec line. Compare that to guardians that get it in an AE every 3rd swing with their trait lines or Warriors that get 3 burns and 1 bleed on long bow at 2 to 3 times the range (and god knows what Beserker is about to give them in addition).

(edited by Taldren.7523)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Well the 30% on crit and 5s ICD is pittyful. The trait makes a bit sense for the 20% duration…
I would lower the ICD to 2s. But this trait is mostly taken for the burn builds that are not “Meta” . The auto cleanse giving might to cantrips and doing 3 burn stacks overshines the three choices …. Another unneccessary cantrip love in there.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

SkiTz.4590

the kitten?

Ele is strong in pvp because of their fire line? That doesn’t line up at all with empirical evidence that suggests that Ele is strong in PvP because of Air-Water-Arcane D/D, Staff, D/F, and sometimes S/F. I mean, I know that Fire-Water-Arcane is viable with D/F, but its hardly the go-to setup for ele … certainly not popular enough to consider what makes Ele strong in pvp.

Scepter and Staff don’t make for decent burning weapons, while dagger locks us into short range combat only which is very problematic given the lack of condi synergy trait choices and gear selection in PvP that forces us into glass cannons.

I especially dislike the entire “30% chance of burn on a crit” trait considering that results in a 15 to 18% chance of a burn at best in sPvP outside of the fire line which we often find ourselves as Ele isn’t viable sitting in any one spec line. Compare that to guardians that get it in an AE every 3rd swing with their trait lines or Warriors that get 3 burns and 1 bleed on long bow at 2 to 3 times the range (and god knows what Beserker is about to give them in addition).

You serious? empirical evidence? Have you seen meta builds or even watched the recent sPvP tournaments? every single Ele was D/D cele with fire.
idk what ranks your playing sPvP in , but every ele i’ve seen has been this meta DD with fire…(ocassionally someone with staff but thats rare)

Go look at the pvp forums on here and see how much crying there is about how broken cele ele DD is right now.

Water and arcane are required. That’s the only lines ele can get enough sustain and tankiness to survive. those 2 have always been required. the last line is up to their personal preference. Fire is the one that’s been meta since the condi changes. Burning is currently very strong.

Idk what empirical evidence your looking at… but cele ele DD with fire IS META and currently one of the most strongest, if not strongest build in PvP.

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Ramethzero.3785

In other words you don’t know what the hell you are talking about because you didn’t read. Great, so this is just contrived ignorant nonsense because you literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks Obama.

LOL. I read your pseudo intellectual vomit just fine. But, you’ll have to excuse me while I flush it, because that’s all that whining was good for.

Reading a bit of teaser information is not empirical proof of anything, must less comparing that hazy bit of information with whats already in play. There are still far too many unknowns. And, solid data in play is STILL subject to change as the design evolves. So basically you’re crying about spilled milk before the cup even touches the table.

That’s why its contrived nonsense. That’s why its flushed.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server

(edited by Ramethzero.3785)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I find DD burning uptime pretty annoying. I wish I could stack as much burning with staff, if only earth aa was more reliable.

Burning guards can stack ridiculous amout too but once you’ve avoided/cleansed their burst they’re dead meat while dd celele can sustain much more.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Taldren.7523

Thanks Obama.

LOL. I read your pseudo intellectual vomit just fine. But, you’ll have to excuse me while I flush it, because that’s all that whining was good for.

Reading a bit of teaser information is not empirical proof of anything, must less comparing that hazy bit of information with whats already in play. There are still far too many unknowns. And, solid data in play is STILL subject to change as the design evolves. So basically you’re crying about spilled milk before the cup even touches the table.

That’s why its contrived nonsense. That’s why its flushed.

And again you prove your ignorance. The post is about condition builds where elementalists have none that are viable. Burning is the only real condition we have, thus “Elementalists and burning”. What the hell this has to do with what your oblivious tangent, I have no idea. Warriors have one now, and look to get an even better one in the future. Right now every class has a viable condition build … we get D/D sustain where after a long period of time the condition damage may eventually kill you if you don’t walk away.

kitten , read you lazy bastage.

As for the burning abilities themselves … they are also pretty lame considering the range and secondary benefits provided other classes. The only exception is Burning Speed.
FlameStrike, Dragon Tooth, Flame Burst – all lolz

(edited by Taldren.7523)

Elementalist and Burning

in Elementalist

Ramethzero.3785

And again you prove your ignorance. The post is about condition builds where elementalists have none that are viable. Burning is the only real condition we have, thus “Elementalists and burning”. What the hell this has to do with what your oblivious tangent, I have no idea. Warriors have one now, and look to get an even better one in the future. Right now every class has a viable condition build … we get D/D sustain where after a long period of time the condition damage may eventually kill you if you don’t walk away.

kitten , read you lazy bastage.

As for the burning abilities themselves … they are also pretty lame considering the range and secondary benefits provided other classes. The only exception is Burning Speed.
FlameStrike, Dragon Tooth, Flame Burst – all lolz

Thanks for the circlejerk logic. I appreciate that.

For the Toast!
Tarnished Coast Server