Elementalist and Sticking with It - EQ1 Reasoning

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crimson.8043

Crimson.8043

I see a lot of this class is bad comments out here and I am an old gamer…I played an Enchanter back in EQ1. The comments here remind me a lot of what players said at the start of EQ1 with Enchanters….they were not top damage dealer nor did they fit a specific mold. I stuck with the class and I was happy…because eventually players figured out our unique abilities (mana regen, haste, slows..yes shamans were better-but still one of only two classes to get it, top notch crowd control-basically traffic cop). While I am low level Ele and I know that the these two classes are far from equals. I am just saying sometimes you have to stick with a class you love until they balance it or you figure out how to play it. I say play it, because Enchanter in EQ1 was NOT blast, blast win….you had to use strategies. Charm, mezzes, mem wipes etc. to win. I do like how some players are saying, “I have to dodge or move around to win” in a way even with us old schoolers used to OH I don’t have to stand still to cast (killed myself a few times forgetting this). It brings us a more viable caster that isn’t a stand in place cannon that gets owned because we cannot move. The enchanter in EQ1 was phenomenal at doing this…mezz, run off to just extent of casting range, charm another mob, debuff other mob, then have another mob attack…all in all it was constant keep you on your toes battle…same thing in GW2 IMHO.
Like I said I know I am low level and I am not saying anyone is bad player or that the class doesn’t need change, just saying sometimes you stick with a class you like/love and hope that you either figure it out or hope that devs at least bring it back to viable.
Please say there are others who see this view…if so please feel free to comment

in Elementalist

Posted by: Volatility.6729

Volatility.6729

I agree to some extent but an Enc in EQ1 was designed as a support class. Soloing with one was extremely inefficient but the class was a must in any high level group (e.g. Sebilis AOE). I don’t think anyone really rolled a Enc with the intention to solo/DPS top dawg and then was somehow surprised they were not as competitive in those departments as say Necros, Wizs, Mags or Druids.

Charm/mez soloing was fun (I camped FBSS all day that way in LGuk) but was a huge PIA compared to a Necro that just rooted, dotted, and stuck his pet on a mob while reading the internet.

Ostrich Burger
The Patryns [TP]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

EQ1 chanter did stuff no other class could begin to do.

Ele isn’t anywhere near that level. The closest we come is staff support, which has significantly more combo fields than other classes…but it’s still pretty minor. Which is how GW2 is designed. Unlike EQ1 everyone is supposed to be able to do everything in GW2, more or less.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crimson.8043

Crimson.8043

Yeah I agree with both your replies. Just saying playing the enchanter is almost like GW2 in that you cannot stand in one place and blast…..EQ1, EQ2, and even WoW had caster being the non moveable…or extremely limited moveable ranged blaster…GW2 I was saying is really good at making the caster able to cast on move and keep defending using his own skills…I was referencing the Enchanter in that respect..that you had to keep your wits about you at all times…because the flow of battle was very fluid like it is in GW2. Even with Enchanter in EQ1 having to stand in one spot and cast..it still meant you had to cast, move, cast, move etc…other classes did this too druid/necro/mage etc…but they all had high damage spells..enchanter was a bit more tricky through the levels…I agree that ele should be high damage do the fact they are blasters….just saying I like that we have to rely on dodging stuff ourselves….makes it more realistic then just relying on armor and taking a hit needlessly.