Elementalist changes - October 7

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sniser.1297

Sniser.1297

Let’s be honest. Whirlpool was overpowered. Dot.

Even with 33% damage reduction, it still deals good damage, and what makes the elite devastating is the combination of damage and aoe pulling-in rupts.

Oh how I wish Tornado was even anywhere close to what the current, nerfed-but-still-strong whirlpool is.

was nerfing ele really #1 on the priority?

Read the patch notes. Nerfing the Guardian and the Mesmer were the #1 priority.

Maybe whirlpool was overpowered but siquishy as we are , now why do you want to put yourserlf in so danger for so low damage?
At least they should give the elite a protection boon for all the duration

in Elementalist

Posted by: Krusnick.4276

Krusnick.4276

Great My level 79 elementalist is now absolutley worthless thanks a net (sarcasm) im really staarting to hate you now the only thing elem had going was op whirlpool and now its gone i hate you guys shove your whirlpool nerf up your instead of nerfs how about some buffs???? do you know how easily we are killed in pvp? any idea at all? the nly thing i liked about pvp is the flame burst that goes off as your RUNNING AWAY so you have a chance to survive now theres almost none cause my water damage is gone thanks a net your really smart folks

in Elementalist

Posted by: doomknight.9762

doomknight.9762

Let’s be honest. Whirlpool was overpowered. Dot.

Even with 33% damage reduction, it still deals good damage, and what makes the elite devastating is the combination of damage and aoe pulling-in rupts.

Oh how I wish Tornado was even anywhere close to what the current, nerfed-but-still-strong whirlpool is.

was nerfing ele really #1 on the priority?

Read the patch notes. Nerfing the Guardian and the Mesmer were the #1 priority.

Maybe whirlpool was overpowered but siquishy as we are , now why do you want to put yourserlf in so danger for so low damage?
At least they should give the elite a protection boon for all the duration

and stability

in Elementalist

Posted by: veeblight.9736

veeblight.9736

On a side note…. how does a spinning thief reflect projectiles and a friggin tornado take them to the face?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Pukknub.7368

Pukknub.7368

On a side note…. how does a spinning thief reflect projectiles and a friggin tornado take them to the face?

Shouldn’t a tornado kind of attract all projectiles?

Pukknub
Proud member of Velocity [VcY]

in Elementalist

Krusnick.4276

I know right the tornado skill is absolute crap and should be replaced immeadiatley or buffed up the friggin wahzoo

in Elementalist

Krusnick.4276

I know right the tornado skill is absolute **** and should be replaced immeadiatley or buffed up the friggin wahzoo

in Elementalist

Posted by: gkrit.9416

gkrit.9416

Out of the hundred issues/bugs elementalists have that the community have pointed out… these few changes (that are barely noticeable or effective) were made?!

Can’t wait to see what net patch is like!

As for whirlpool having several minutes for cooldown… it totally makes sense to nerf the damage by a 1/3

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

…any chance that, going with the nerf, we’d also get a fix of the parts of the skill that don’t work? Like the ‘teleport to you’ bit that never worked because the target gets revived where they went down and thus will go down again before they can get teleported to your location?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

Honestly, it is going to be useless no matter what they do with it from here on. Fixing any real bug on this skill still wouldn’t be incentive to put it on my skillbar.

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

Honestly, it is going to be useless no matter what they do with it from here on. Fixing any real bug on this skill still wouldn’t be incentive to put it on my skillbar.

Agreed. It should be instant cast now to make it worth bringing.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

And anything less than instant cast would be just as bad. It’s just a convenience skill now. It doesn’t do anything that I couldn’t do by walking over there and using any defensive skill to raise a player. Using mist form or arcane shield would be better as they can be used while helping a downed player and then again during normal play. This skill is a really bad niche ability that only functions as a convenience “don’t want to take the time to walk over there” ability.

in Elementalist

ThiBash.5634

Or what could help is make it usable without downed allies. The fire effect could be worth it IF you could cast it at will.

But no matter what fixes we come up with, they won’t happen…

in Elementalist

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Lol this is insane. I understand you wanna fix bugs, but why are they all negative. Thats ok but on repeated patches? Where we also get nerfs? My ele gets weaker every patch!

I understand the position they’re in wanting to fix bugs and crazy dmg abilities and all, but they dont seem to take into effect the current classes strength. Which makes it feel like a slap in the face. Does that once in a blue moon whirlpool damage really effects games more than a 10 second aoe quickness? The order of nerfs and bugfixes seems really off.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Naryoril.6507

Naryoril.6507

and i finally started to like and use the skill this weekend in dungeons…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rhoto.8791

Rhoto.8791

I’m most kitten about the runes of earth nerf, because that directly nerfs my spvp build. But ya when I read the ele notes all I could do is laugh.

Chipsu – Elementalist
Maguuma [SWäG]
Original [OG] (good times)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rehero.7821

Rehero.7821

It needs to have the channel speed reduced to at most 2 seconds preferably 1 and then have its cooldown reduced by 30%. That and obvious bug fixes is what it would take for me to think it viable.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

I was under the impression that it always only revived downed members.

This utility is utter trash in its current form.

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

in Elementalist

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

Meh.

/15char

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

(edited by Scribbles.7493)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rophus.1469

Rophus.1469

Looks like this somewhat mediocre spell just got upgraded to a useless spell

in Elementalist

Posted by: Papaj.9035

Papaj.9035

I’ve said it for awhile now, there are 5 utilities for Elementalists that are worth using. Cleansing Flame, Armor of Earth, Mist Form, Lightning Hammer, Lightning Flash. And the last two are pretty situational anyway. Oh, and Mjolnir isn’t for your use, it’s for you Ranger teammate using healing spring and popping 6 seconds of quickness for some serious damage control and healing.

80 Norn Elementalist
Violent Impact [VI] Guild Master (Blackgate)
http://www.impact-gaming.us

in Elementalist

Posted by: Token.6501

Token.6501

I know in Guild Wars some of the skills worked differently or didn’t work at all in PvP. Seems that in this game, any nerfs meant to balance the sPvP game will affect PvE play as well.

Casting time on glyph of renewal is way too long. I never noticed it working on dead players but maybe it was never fully working as intended.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hell Nirvana.9045

Hell Nirvana.9045

I’m kinda ok with the Whirlpool damage reduction. I would have reduced it by 25% or so.
What i hate about the skill is that you’re just standing there ticking damage, some of which can even be avoided.
But then again, who wants to play as an Elementalist underwater in PvP anyway? :P

I’m not giving up yet, but ArenaNet with their recent balance changes (and not just this class) gives out kind of a clueless image of themselves.

in Elementalist

Posted by: fatjosef.6380

fatjosef.6380

But ya when I read the ele notes all I could do is laugh.

Yea, like this.

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Posted by: Hissatsu.7091

Hissatsu.7091

there are a fair bit of useful utility’s, the arcane blasts are great dps, signets are somewat good, but the most USELESS thing is our ELITEs (minus racial elites) other than that, its not the fact that we dont have a lot of useful utilities, we do.
We simple just DIE without cantrips (as dagger/dagger) lol

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shiri.6728

Shiri.6728

I was really hoping the bug was that it only worked on downed members half the time. When a skill is WORSE than using a normal action that everyone has you have a major problem.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Novalight.7568

Novalight.7568

Because thieves are allowed skills that deal uber damage (not to mention the whirly thingy steal from warrior…do we have anything even remotely similar to that, regarding damage output and survivability while doing it???) , we’re allowed to watch the castbars (staff) that move with speed of a dying snail and which obviously need additional nerf (hey, instant skill, omg, nerf it). Now, to bring lava font inline with eruption (start cast till it does damage) would be the next order of business I assume (oh, combo fields you say…nah, you don’t need to combo off yourself). Instead of nerfing the skills can you please fix the things that actually matter and affect the gameplay Anet?

On a sidenote…lightning actually travels idk somewhere around 50-600 km/sec (1st google hit I clicked…cba to do proper research) and our lightning (staff again) and pretty much all other staff attacks travels at what…speed of a paper plane thrown out of the window? Bullets in RL travel at 0,18-1,5 km/second…and here they travel so much faster than lightning, why? Shortbow speed (not to mention lol cast time of autoattack on ranger) also faster why? Magic, slowest thing in the universe (if it’s done by staff ele that is).

Another meh patchnots all in all.

“GW2 takes everything you love about GW1” – M. O’Brien
“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“The most important thing in any game should be the player” – R. Soesbee

in Elementalist

Posted by: Paulus magintie.7432

Paulus magintie.7432

Glyph of Renewal: This skill will now revive downed allies only, not dead ones.

This is the only one I care about on this list, I rarely used it but when I did it was really helpful, now its not.

Against boss type monsters where your downed for a few seconds before getting hit again the skill doesn’t cast fast enough to be useful. If they are going to nerf it like this at least increase the casting otherwise its useless since its faster to revive a downed player.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Victor.5819

Victor.5819

Anet should stream the discussion and decision of class balance live on twitch like they streamed some game play online before release so we could know what the class balance devs are thinking about. Or make some Youtube video to grab more attention. Or a complete blog post related to each profession.

Since less and less live stream on Guild Wars 2 due to the game is so much fun that watching others play it is not entertaining at all. (The first game I enjoy to play instead of watching others play it)

A live stream on “Anet Talking about Profession Balance” would be quite entertaining.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Trump.9803

Trump.9803

in Elementalist

Posted by: Joxy.6879

Joxy.6879

Has anyone actually used Glyph of renewal after the patch?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razarei.2809

Razarei.2809

You guys are complaining about a damage nerf to whirlpool? It was clearly overpowered, too strong for underwater combat. The damage it does is still good for underwater combat. All this means now is that elementalists jump in water to whirlpool then jump back out again.

For anyone that says our underwater combat is great, gtfo. It isn’t. Water is viable, but barely even hits.

Do love dat ice wall though.

@Also. Yes, staffs have a hidden update, however as I’ve not tested it properly yet, it SEEMS to be just a visual effect, as many seemingly instant cast skills were not infact instant, just had no bar.

Swiftness in air definitely got a nerf though, that shiz was insta-cast.

Look guys, you gotta stop complaining. There is no point. Just live with it. We get it, the class isn’t as great, but let me tell you this, the elementalist is in a far better position now than it was in release. Other classes are getting much needed nerfs which brings us closer to the balance. All we need now is our bug fixes and no more random nerfs.

Let’s face it, this class is never going to be a DPS class of all elements, it’s clear ANET are backing down from that initial idea. Anyone and everyone who’s great at the elementalist knows that it’s pretty much a monk/ele hybrid, leaning more to support.

I never thought I’d say this but, if you want to deal great burst damage, and have great mobility/AOE damage/survivability > Roll thief/guardian/warrior. :/

I however, will continue to play my silly ele because I enjoy playing broken classes/characters, mastering them, then exploiting the heck out of them to show they can be “on par” despite it requiring so much more effort.

However, let’s be real here. Effort doesn’t matter. It’s ease of use that bothers most of you, and that’s fine, but elementalists are going to be complex. When played perfectly, elementalists are perfectly viable, and that’s good enough for ANet. However, viable isn’t good enough, because playing a thief perfectly results in much better output in all sides.

Yes, elementalists are still weak in comparison to others, but does that even matter anymore? This class isn’t ever going to be buffed in that way, look at GW1, 5 years to balance Ele. Either suck it up and move on.

Elementalist – Blárp, Razarei, 55HPMonk, Need More Defense
Revenant – Master Blárp [Desolation]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razarei.2809

Razarei.2809

All I’m saying is, complaining doesn’t get us anywhere, so spend the time you would have complaining trying to master your class. If mastering your class and attunement dancing is too hard for you, I’m afraid it’s time for you to re-roll. I’m not saying this to be hard, but to end your misery.

If elementalists get buffed in a year or w/e from now, then you can move back ^^

Elementalist – Blárp, Razarei, 55HPMonk, Need More Defense
Revenant – Master Blárp [Desolation]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azanure.8035

Azanure.8035

This was my reaction while reading the Elem changes

in Elementalist

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

Hm… Mist Form is a much better alternative.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Well GG all, time to quit my Ele and roll something else. Wishing for some love, and got another nerf. Wish they would post what their plans are for the class. First one introduced, and worst class of all. Why Anet? Why?

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rezo.4815

Rezo.4815

This ability only worked properly in earth where it was able to resurrect 3 targets from the dead every time. This was my favorite utility since it gave an unique utility to the elementalist in a WvW situation . Guardians had impassable walls, mesmers had portals and elementalists had the power to resurrect . Its absurd that they would take this unique – snowflake ability away from us. Really ArenaNet, you just cant understand you didn’t give us much else that is actually a unique utility to bring into a fight, didn’t you? AND DON’T SAY SUMMONED WEAPONS. Those are absolutely unviable and the earlyer you admit it the more people will still be interested in playing this complex but not even close to rewarding profession.

For the night is dark and full of nightcappers.
[IRON] – Desolation
The Iron Triangle

(edited by Rezo.4815)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rune Jairusion.4610

Rune Jairusion.4610

Glyph of Renewal is off my bar today permanently. In any dungeon, thanks to the folks making dungeon mobs hit like a freight truck and aggro stay on downed players for awkwardly long periods, the cast time will result in the target player being dead before it goes off. Use in PVP? Nope… enemy kill-strikes land before this goes off too.

The built-in “Revive” function that all players have is now better than this skill LOL.

Thanks for making my hotbar skill selection easier Anet Hope your intent isn’t to have skills we can actually use – cuz then you’ve missed the mark here.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rune Jairusion.4610

Rune Jairusion.4610

This ability only worked properly in air where it was able to resurrect 3 targets from the dead every time.

Earth… And totally agree with you :-)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kaona.9105

Kaona.9105

All I’m saying is, complaining doesn’t get us anywhere, so spend the time you would have complaining trying to master your class. If mastering your class and attunement dancing is too hard for you, I’m afraid it’s time for you to re-roll. I’m not saying this to be hard, but to end your misery.
If elementalists get buffed in a year or w/e from now, then you can move back ^^

The problem is while most are far from mastering one of the most complex professions in the game, some of the very high impact in regards to what specific play styles are all forced had just taken some heavy alterations in a detrimental way.

It is not the fact that everyone would like to use whirlpool, its the fact that there is nothing else that is available to use and while all of the normal attacks and other Utility abilities while under water either do not scale well or at all, one of those few that had a fairly reasonable cooldown still offered a reasonable amount of damage, dispute the fact that you are forced into it in the first place.

One of the other abilities that I myself playing as a support based Elementalist have a bit of a problem with is the glyph of renewal, while before this was only useful if I was unable to keep people up when they had gone down (most of the time from careless actions like standing in fire) I could use this to pick them back up. Well this is no longer the case so while I am limited to only 3 abilities that I can choose from in the first place for support (Glyph of attunement, storms, and arcane wave for the water combo effect), I am now limited to 2, while it may not seem that this is that big of a deal to most people, it is very heavily detrimental on how a support Elementalist plays.

While some of these nerfs may be justified in some cases, most of them being in comparison to other Elementalist’s abilities, at this time it is very unnecessary and poorly thought out. With how the class is currently laid out, it needs more repairs than any other profession that I have played so far now (I am working on my 6th level 80, with warrior and necromancer as the last 2).

Breaking a profession that is already nothing but a combinations of dysfunctional abilities/traits, an over use or abusing the few that do work, and some people in many cases exploiting the few bugs with the class to make an advantage for themselves is only from what I can see as, done by very poor management within ArenaNet themselves (From how it appears, there is no team working on this profession, while the rest of the professions have a dedicated team). The current removal of key features that the profession had will only drive away the few who play the profession as it should be played and not abusing portions of it and/or exploits.

80 Guardian 80 Ranger 24 Warrior
80 Thief 80 Engineer 0 Necromancer
80 Elementalist 80 Mesmer

in Elementalist

Posted by: FerrenoNL.7928

FerrenoNL.7928

I normally dont post on topics like these for any reason what so ever, but I just got the urge to leave my message here in the hopes A-net does read these.

Let me start of by saying I do not play PVP nor do I have any intentions to play PVP.

I think the nerf to Whirpool was justified, regardless of it being an elite. It could take down entire mobs in a matter of seconds. I dont know any other profession that can do the same in equal or less time. Now that it appears less useful I do agree it would be great if we could put a non-elite in that skillslot.

I would really like to know how A-net sees the elementalist. As many people have pointed out all over the place now, Elementalist is not supposed to deal uber damage. There’s other and better classes for that which are less squishy. So that leads me to believe we are meant to support teams instead.

I’ve been trying to play as a monk instead, rezzing people with GoR when they died. I like to think I prevented a few wipes here and there. Obviously rezzing is no longer on our to-do list. We still have water and earth magic for support abilities, but crippling and healing should not be ALL an elementalist is supposed to do in teams, is it?

I would really like to know a few build which A-net suggests we use, and which builds they have based these decisions on.

Just my 2 coins…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

I’m hoping the next patch Elementalist get is going to have something good for once. If not, I’ll be really tempted to just shelf my two (asura and human) elementalists and play with my guardian.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

I’m hoping the next patch Elementalist get is going to have something good for once. If not, I’ll be really tempted to just shelf my two (asura and human) elementalists and play with my guardian.

I’m already leveling my guardian, and doing quests 4 levels above me with ease. My ele struggles with onlevel quests sometimes…

It’s simply insane how they nerf our only damaging underwater ability yet don’t find the time to fix some of our HUGE list of gamebreaking bugs that are still there for over 4 weeks.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Porian.3508

Porian.3508

not to mention NPC>ALLY

in Elementalist

Posted by: gkrit.9416

gkrit.9416

I think its about time Anet start balancing skills, seeing as the community is starting to take this stuff seriously. It’s still early days, but you gotta do what the community demands at the time. Fix bugs… but prioritise balance in the next patch (and spend time on the next patch rather than just wait a week and do a few petty tweaks) and listen to what the community is saying.

Majority of the time “we” know what we are talking about. There is no time to be “proud”. Think deeply about changes that will be made and it may not be as simple as changing a few numbers… skills may need to function differently because in theory, things sound good… but in practise, they may not fulfill their purpose as intended.

in Elementalist

Aether McLoud.1975

This is more and more reminding me of SWTOR…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

wow… just wow…

glyph of renewal was the only reason i was able to complete several personal story instances on my elementalist. it’s bad enough that all our elites suck and our utility skills don’t offer any flavor or DPS… (sorry, but as squishy as ele’s are, we should have perma pets, like Rift) it’s really sad that ele’s have the smallest HP pools AND the lowest DPS…

– The Baconnaire

in Elementalist

Aether McLoud.1975

And not a single good bugfix was given that day.

in Elementalist

Posted by: elchulo.3148

elchulo.3148

They must hate elementalists. They kick us when we are already down and they haven’t even fixed our downed skills so we can’t interrupt them.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Paulus magintie.7432

Paulus magintie.7432

I don’t see why you guys are putting your elementalists aside, im going to use my mine no matter what balance changes are made. Im like my elementalist im going to tough it out and find news ways to fight I already switched up a pet for the great swords of Balthazar.