Elementalist damage way too low?

in Elementalist

Posted by: OscarMK.8520

OscarMK.8520

Hi all,

I have been playing my ele as my only char for quite a few hours now. I have always played a staff ele, while playing around in pve I always fell a little weak while completing my solo path to lvl 80. But I though I was just new to the game and had bad gear. But after reaching lvl 80, I started to play more, still I know I am a “casual” since I play maybe 5-8 hours a week max.

Anyway I started to explore all the traits, analyzed all the skills, and decided to spec for a glass cannon build. While I do not play gw 2 as much, keep in mind I played a ton of gw 1, and got to rank 10 in HoH, so I definitelly know how to play.

I decided to go 30 fire 30 light 10 earth, and got my exotic gear, and recently managed to get my ascended berserker staff, I already have ascended jewelry all berserker.

I always though hitting things in PvE for 3K, was a lot because well I was a glass cannon elementalist right?, the highest I have seen is 6k from meteor shower and this is full berserker Ascended gear and 30 30 10 stats.

But now reading the forums, i had no idea every other single class has higher armor and health and can hit for 20-50K, What the hell?!.

Why are elementalist so weak?.

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

The elementalist relies on might stacks to do alot of damage.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Diehard.1432

Diehard.1432

But now reading the forums, i had no idea every other single class has higher armor and health and can hit for 20-50K, What the hell?!.

Why are elementalist so weak?.

Rangers beg to differ. I am now trying to lvl up my ele toon and i find that my lvl 20 uplevel ele dealt more dmg than my fully geared lvl 80 ranger (in wvw). Anyway, playing ele has been a blast so far. So much fun

Garuda X, lvl 80 human Siamoth Ranger JQ SEA
[VaL]

in Elementalist

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

ele deals most dps in pve.

use lightning hammer and fgs.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

OscarMK.8520

I am aware might of stacks are important, and I have that GM trait that grants might on hit, as well as every other single trait that could increase dmg, including one where you do more dmg when hitting from far away.

I never have 25 stacks, but I do have 12-13 when hitting multiple targets, even then I have never seen above 6K, I doubt 12 more stacks would increase more than 2K for a total of 8K on a meteor shower. Worth noting with this staff build there is no way to stack 25 might stacks.

About the ranger, you are probably right, that is the only class I have not heard hits with auto attacks for at least 10K.

in Elementalist

OscarMK.8520

Lighting hammer and fgs?, is that the one with 240 second cool down, that from what I have read is melee attack while being super squishy and needs a lot of variables to hit hard?

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

if you know how to play you will get away with being squishy in melee range.

and if you want to play staff:
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/85568-lh-is-the-new-bearbow-the-real-staff-dps-build-for-manly-men/

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

in Elementalist

OscarMK.8520

Well it is worth the try, I will look it up. Thanks.

Still it sounds like a gimmick, is this the only way for an ele to do the same dmg as the other classes in auto attack while having less hp and armor?.

Also a lot of fratal bosses can 1-2 shot an ele, so I am not so sure about a melee ele.

in Elementalist

OscarMK.8520

Thanks for the staff link I will check that out.

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

Well it is worth the try, I will look it up. Thanks.

Still it sounds like a gimmick, is this the only way for an ele to do the same dmg as the other classes in auto attack while having less hp and armor?.

Also a lot of fratal bosses can 1-2 shot an ele, so I am not so sure about a melee ele.

same dmg?
more like OP damage and more than any other class.

you need to dodge to survive.

and you can get 25 might stacks with fire fields and blast finisher…. combos….

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

No class can deal 20k. That’s an outright lie and you need to stop listening to bads. People are referring to stuff like Hundred Blades which has a long recharge and takes four seconds to complete, during which time you will hit for much more with a combination of Lava Font and Fireball. Even unbuffed I easily see huge numbers coming from those two skills. Learn to addition, maybe.

in Elementalist

OscarMK.8520

That staff link, seems pretty good. I have never used blast finishers, and I do not know what fire fields and combos are to be honest. But I still have 13 stacks of might, ascended berserker gear (even weapon), and 30 30 10, I realize I might not be using the right skills or traits, but I am just wondering when you hit with fireball and lava font , what number do you see?, I see from 1.5 to 5K at most, is this normal?, or am I missing out on a lot of dmg from not using this blast finisher, combos etc?.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

I have never used blast finishers, and I do not know what fire fields and combos are to be honest.

Full stop.
If you want to know how ele works both in conjunction with other classes and on its own you need to know about combo fields and finishers.
Specifically fire fields and blast finishers, which the Ele has in abundance and is pretty much our saving grace.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Elementalist

Posted by: STRanger.5120

STRanger.5120

ele deals most dps in pve.

use lightning hammer and fgs.

Well, some ppl (me included) like to play an Elementalist, not a squishy hammer warrior, you know? We have chosen the class for it’s mechanics, not for one-button-pushing like 100B warriors do….

#ELEtism 4ever

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zelyhn.8069

Zelyhn.8069

Try my guide then. I have to update it, but the best builds I have come up with so far are:
- 10/30/0/20/10 for strong solo play
- 0/30/0/30/10 for efficient team play (I run this in fotm 70+ )
- 30/30/10/0/0 for high risk-rewards

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

It’s a combination of the above (combos and exageration of other professions’ abilities) and there’s also the use of Food and group buffs. You can do a LOT more damage if 2 ranger provide 25% vulnerability for you for example (raising your 5k to over 6k damage).

Also, Lava Font hits in small packets but the total damage still quite high. Eles have lots of small hits but when combined, you’d be surprised how much damage you’ve actually dealt. Skills like Rapid Fire and Hundred Blades on the other hand, combine all their hits into a single number which is obviously going to be a lot higher.

Not saying that the ele outdamage everyone else or anything, but all these things do affect your results.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lavadiel.6231

Lavadiel.6231

No class can deal 20k. That’s an outright lie and you need to stop listening to bads. People are referring to stuff like Hundred Blades which has a long recharge and takes four seconds to complete, during which time you will hit for much more with a combination of Lava Font and Fireball. Even unbuffed I easily see huge numbers coming from those two skills. Learn to addition, maybe.

is this trolling or are ppl seriously so unaware?

Dude on my warr I did over 70k 100b in cof p1 at level 75, 30k+ is the standard 100b performed solo at level 80.
Here you have 80k 100b http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIDiJlRpqs4

Now try do do this an staff ele. Also I would not call 6s cd on 100b a long recharge.

The only way to do some serious damage as an staff ele is to use FGS/Rush against a wall – which I hope will get fixed in the incomming patch …or to use Meteor shower on a small “island” terrain which causes all metors to hit very small spot dealing enormous amounts of damage but so far I found only a few spots in the whole game where you can bug Meteors like this.

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Dude on my warr I did over 70k 100b in cof p1 at level 75, 30k+ is the standard 100b performed solo at level 80.

Now try do do this an staff ele. Also I would not call 6s cd on 100b a long recharge.

The only way to do some serious damage as an staff ele is to use FGS/Rush against a wall – which I hope will get fixed in the incomming patch …or to use Meteor shower on a small “island” terrain which causes all metors to hit very small spot dealing enormous amounts of damage but so far I found only a few spots in the whole game where you can bug Meteors like this.

“My HB number is so big in this one very limited instance on a low-armor mob, my class must have the best DPS.”

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

“My HB number is so big in this one very limited instance on a low-armor mob, my class must have the best DPS.”

so it was not trolling… just FYI my single 100b deals probably more damage than all ele staff skill combined togedher and not only in some limited instance but ewerywhere at level 60+ (on 60- condition damage starts to play some role) … ofc not counting bugged MS but as I said there are like 5-6 places in the whole game where you can bug MS and only 2 where you can hit enemies with it.

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

ele deals more dps than warrior. thats fact.
and warrior is only rank 4 or 5 in the highest dps ladder.
accept it, instead of trying to fight with people who are smarter than you.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Posted by: Artifect.9647

Artifect.9647

I believe this class makes up for its lack in damage with utility skills. Elementalists have healing skills, AoEs, crowd control abilities, combo fields and finishers, and conjure weapons for your teammates to use. Also, I read somewhere that ranged attacks will never be as powerful as melee attacks, so that could also possibly explain the lack of damage in comparison to heavy armor classes.

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

ele deals more dps than warrior. thats fact.
and warrior is only rank 4 or 5 in the highest dps ladder.
accept it, instead of trying to fight with people who are smarter than you.

no probably they they are not but anyway it has nothing to do with it. Ofc I dont take into accout bugged fgs/rush and also ofc I am talking about practical aplicable damage in real life.
Those “smart” ppl like for example Guanglai Kangyi.4318 will not only have a worse dps against those two silvers mobs in arrah but as an staff ele he will be probably killed by those mobs
Prove me wrong with a movie.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fasyx.9347

Fasyx.9347

Wow. Just saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FGALdnDgUE0

I only played with staff in WvW or for farming, but after this video m going to check the build out for PvE/Dunegons
Easily more dmg than my full zerk warrior…and the guy in the video is as far as I can see only on 3 stacks of might. I´m really impressed…just imagine this build in WvW. However it´s squishy as f…

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

Wow. Just saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FGALdnDgUE0

I only played with staff in WvW or for farming, but after this video m going to check the build out for PvE/Dunegons
Easily more dmg than my full zerk warrior…and the guy in the video is as far as I can see only on 3 stacks of might. I´m really impressed…just imagine this build in WvW. However it´s squishy as f…

quite nice, still like ~3s worse than a warrior and if the gaiant would have 5x more HP the time difference will be bigger.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYMAB_wZS08
also on smaller targets meterors are not so effective while for 100b target size does not matter + as you already noticed build will be v. squishy and its practical usage in harder content like fractals 50+will be limited. I still choose a warrior.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyskythyn.6471

Kyskythyn.6471

Ele’s have damage, it just takes a little more effort to survive in offensive gear than say, warriors and thieves.

Attachments:

Miss Kysie – S/F condi bunker ele
River of Tears – S/D glass ele
Solo and small group roamer

in Elementalist

Posted by: NinjaBreadMan.8926

NinjaBreadMan.8926

I play s/d semi glassy(power/vit/crit) and it’s a pretty good hybrid for bunker/glassy. I have 20k life and about 3/4 the burst potential full out glass cannon eles do. I prefer the 4-5k extra hp for tanking the 12k backstabs thieves do.. I might try out scepter/focus condi ele soon I heard that was good as well and condi is the meta for right now

Maguuma: Good Fights
Incinerary: 80 Elementalist S/d Glass 0/30/0/20/20 D/d Bunker 0/20/0/20/30

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

quite nice, still like ~3s worse than a warrior and if the gaiant would have 5x more HP the time difference will be bigger.
also on smaller targets meterors are not so effective while for 100b target size does not matter + as you already noticed build will be v. squishy and its practical usage in harder content like fractals 50+will be limited. I still choose a warrior.

believe and think whatever you want. im not going to waste my time to change your wrong view of things.
all i say is 17k17k28k lightning hammer autoattack chains.
and ele>guard>thief>warrior in terms of dps.
do the math and realize how wrong you are. or keep being stupid. its your choice.

now i will ignore you.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

believe and think whatever you want. im not going to waste my time to change your wrong view of things.
do the math and realize how wrong you are. or keep being stupid. its your choice.

now i will ignore you.

show me a movie where you kill giant in 7s, or kill lupi in 5m without fgs4wall, until then keep being stupid and I will ignore you.

Btw. this remainds me of a talk on reddit where some other silly guy tried to prove Strife (who unfortunatelly left this game for WOW) that guardian dps is bigger than warrior. Strife provided 3 movies as prooffs but the idiot still claimed that guard deals more damage.

in Elementalist

Posted by: GuildWarsPlayer.5608

GuildWarsPlayer.5608

Imma nube to the profession but out of the casters, the elementalist seems to hit the hardest while in fire.

I could be wrong.

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

I play s/d semi glassy(power/vit/crit) and it’s a pretty good hybrid for bunker/glassy. I have 20k life and about 3/4 the burst potential full out glass cannon eles do. I prefer the 4-5k extra hp for tanking the 12k backstabs thieves do.. I might try out scepter/focus condi ele soon I heard that was good as well and condi is the meta for right now

20k hp with wvw 5 def stacks? If without then I doubt you have 3/4 of the full gc/damage potential. Could you pls link your build?

as for scepter/focus condi you will win against most of the power builds with ease but other condi builds (escpecially necros) will own you. Also good s/d thief will own you as on this movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHmdrlbb0xM&list=PLE13175815ADD5097

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

now i will ignore you.

show me a movie where you kill giant in 7s, or kill lupi in 5m without fgs4wall, until then keep being stupid and I will ignore you.

Btw. this remainds me of a talk on reddit where some other silly guy tried to prove Strife (who unfortunatelly left this game for WOW) that guardian dps is bigger than warrior. Strife provided 3 movies as prooffs but the idiot still claimed that guard deals more damage.

yup. you are the king.

2 guardian 1h sword autoattack chains deal more damage than your 100b in the same time.
seriously bro. you should stop all that trashtalk. all you achieve with it is making people laugh about you. its known for several month now that a guardian can outdps a warrior easily.
if i were you, i would be quiet. because chances are someone smarter than you will join this thread and provide you all the facts to prove you wrong.
and then you will look stupid, really really stupid.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

now i will ignore you.

You mean me, when I turned out to be right and now even DnT, which is Strife’s former guild, admits that warrior DPS isn’t all that?

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

now i will ignore you.

You mean me, when I turned out to be right and now even DnT, which is Strife’s former guild, admits that warrior DPS isn’t all that?

lol… its you , its all clear for me now

in Elementalist

Posted by: TimIsOnTheInternet.5946

TimIsOnTheInternet.5946

Ele’s have damage, it just takes a little more effort to survive in offensive gear than say, warriors and thieves.

Whaaaaat is going on in that screenshot?

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

now i will ignore you.

lol… its you , its all clear for me now

it was all clear for “us” after your first post.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Kyskythyn.6471

I was taking a camp and got a nice string of crits. My point is that ele’s have the capability to deal massive damage, it’s just more people are comfortable playing a more bunker type build because it is far easier to survive in.

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

now i will ignore you.

yup. you are the king.

2 guardian 1h sword autoattack chains deal more damage than your 100b in the same time.
seriously bro. you should stop all that trashtalk. all you achieve with it is making people laugh about you. its known for several month now that a guardian can outdps a warrior easily.
if i were you, i would be quiet. because chances are someone smarter than you will join this thread and provide you all the facts to prove you wrong.

>this thread and provide you all the facts to prove you wrong

I need only one thing – a movie, it is so hard to record? Pls prove me wrong.

>and then you will look stupid, really really stupid

yes I will, If you solo lupi faster with guardian than with warrior I will look stupid but so far you are the one who looks stupid…
Warr can do it in below 5 min, I might be not up do date but the record is now 4:48, for guard it is 5:30
The ultimate record is inded made by ele, it took below 4 min but with fgs4wall.

Also to make things clear I am talking here about real life damge, no thoretical DPS and also without using game bugs – for example mesmer can also solo lupi qute fast, like 5-6 min but using obvious trick in phase 2.

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

now i will ignore you.

yup. you are the king.

>this thread and provide you all the facts to prove you wrong

I need only one thing – a movie, it is so hard to record? Pls prove me wrong.

>and then you will look stupid, really really stupid

yes I will, If you solo lupi faster with guardian than with warrior I will look stupid but so far you are the one who looks stupid…
Warr can do it in below 5 min, I might be not up do date but the record is now 4:48, for guard it is 5:30
The ultimate record is inded made by ele, it took below 4 min but with fgs4wall.

Also to make things clear I am talking here about real life damge, no thoretical DPS and also without using game bugs – for example mesmer can also solo lupi qute fast, like 5-6 min but using obvious trick in phase 2.

people already came close to 4:48 min on guardian.
but you know everything and you are always right bro. thats why you are in a top dungeon guild.
and yes, even in real life damage, guardian deals more than warrior in a group.
solo dps for warrior is higher, but guardian can solo lupi faster because of them reflections bro.

ah and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U67QNskKYHs

now add the damage from focus 5 and gs symbol to ww.

and thats just gs, we dont even need to talk about 1h sword autoattack dmg vs warrior autoattack dmg.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Posted by: Karazul.2934

Karazul.2934

Sorry Lavadiel, but you are wrong in so many ways that I can’t even start…
It would take too long to explain and I don’t have the time, but believe in Guang and NoTrigger. Even the best elitist guilds right now know that warrior is just average dps. They are still great though and without one the other professions cant buff their damage to the maximum.

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

>people already did below 5 min on guardian.

as I said, I might be not up to date. Could you pls link a movie?

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

>people already did below 5 min on guardian.

as I said, I might be not up to date. Could you pls link a movie?

there is no movie because a guy who comes really close to 4:48 wants the best time possible and thats why he hasnt uploaded a video yet.

as i said, in a group guardian>warrior in terms of dps.
solo you probably wont achieve the same dps because guardian doesnt have the ability to give himself such offensive buffs.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Lavadiel.6231

>Sorry Lavadiel, but you are wrong in so many ways that I can’t even start…

a link with a movie would be nice start and also nice end I do not need anything else.

>Even the best elitist guilds right now know that warrior is just average dps.

I dont really care what others “know” or what they belive in, it is irrelevant. Facts matters and facts needs to be proven – with a movie.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

I was taking a camp and got a nice string of crits. My point is that ele’s have the capability to deal massive damage, it’s just more people are comfortable playing a more bunker type build because it is far easier to survive in.

Lucky string of crits? Thats nuts. What are your stats and did you have full bloodlust/25 stacks of might and vuln on target because thats insane…

I’ve got 92% crit damage/3400 attack and I know it can go higher to 110% crit damage, but wtf…

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

The situation here is the prime example of miscommunication. People that say that warrior’s dps is moderate but not best are those that consider party dps as a whole. People that claim their 100 swag is better do not see the bigger picture.

If you want to exlude fgs against the wall in that solo you should also exclude things like “do not move” and “push him against the wall” because that’s also shady for certain individuals.

Even the best elitist guilds right now know that warrior is just average dps.

They’re elite, not elitist guilds.

in Elementalist

NoTrigger.8396

>Sorry Lavadiel, but you are wrong in so many ways that I can’t even start…

a link with a movie would be nice start and also nice end I do not need anything else.

>Even the best elitist guilds right now know that warrior is just average dps.

I dont really care what others “know” or what they belive in, it is irrelevant. Facts matters and facts needs to be proven – with a movie.

has been proven many times. and you cant prove facts btw because a fact is a fact. you can only prove things to make them become a fact.

[qT] Quantify

in Elementalist

Posted by: istariwk.8312

istariwk.8312

is 6 seconds long recharge?:O and 4 seconds to complete… 20 k every 10 seconds sound OP to me.

in Elementalist

Posted by: istariwk.8312

istariwk.8312

now i will ignore you.

Soloing a boss is not about dps, it s about survival

in Elementalist

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

I think the OP has some confusion about the damage numbers.. If you are seeing 30-40k damage on a warrior or other class, it’s not a single instant hit damage number.

These damage numbers are cumulative, meaning the combined damage over a certain amount of time came to the total damage of 30-40k. If you were to do 100 blades for instance, this is over somewhere around 4 seconds averaging out around 7.5-10k dps. Sure it’s decent damage, but not the 30-40k you see on screen. I guess using ‘DPS’ is a misnomer, and should expand to Damage Per Skill

On the other hand, something like Fire Grab (Scepter 5) can do a LOT of damage, in one hit. This makes ele very ‘spikey’ in terms of damage we do, being instant hit damage as opposed to sustained in other classes like warriors. Ignoring our crappier aspects like health and armor, we sort of can get good damage at the cost of even crappier health and armor.

I did manage a 16.2k churning earth on Subject Alpha in CoE last night, which I think is one of my highest numbers

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

in Elementalist

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

106k damage in 3.5 seconds. That’s .45 seconds longer than casting lava font and 2 fireballs. Not exactly a lifetime.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in Elementalist

Kyskythyn.6471

106k damage in 3.5 seconds. That’s .45 seconds longer than casting lava font and 2 fireballs. Not exactly a lifetime.

Do this in WvW and someone might actually be impressed.

Lucky string of crits? Thats nuts. What are your stats and did you have full bloodlust/25 stacks of might and vuln on target because thats insane…

I’ve got 92% crit damage/3400 attack and I know it can go higher to 110% crit damage, but wtf…

At that time I had no stacks, but minor bloodlust, empower allies and 18 stacks of might, which would put me at about about 4.5k attack and 121% crit dmg. ^^