Elementalist's best duo partner?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wreck.2634

Wreck.2634

Hey guys! Thanks for all your help so far, love the opinions I got on my last thread. I found out I have enough glory left over to instant an 80 through tomes. Two questions really, as an elementalist what is your favorite roaming partner in WvWvW and is there any reason I shouldn’t instant someone to 80 through tomes?

in Elementalist

Posted by: maeggle.6021

maeggle.6021

Personally I love to roam with my thief (burst or interrupt build) and / or guardian (buff bot tank) buddies. Also ele + ele can be fun in a trollish manner because you can’t be killed without some organized and simultaneous spikes.

What didn’t work out that great when duo-roaming was with

• mesmers (shatter, boon shatter and phantasm) because you get focused pretty much exclusively while mesmer utilities are rather selfish and they lack spike capabilities (well, at least it requires setup and time).
  • Medi guard builds rely on your boon support when it should be the other way round; They can’t do anything better than a good thief (damage-wise) and need their active defense skills to survive themselves. Also they lack sustain in long team fights…
  • DPS warriors – too much focus on you while the warrior whirls around like crazy. Meanwhile you have to sustain severe condition focus all by yourself. Not so much fun.
  • HGH direct damage Engi – mh… may be fun, but only if your buddy uses his throw-elixir-skills wisely
  • Condi necros love the perma-burning, long duration bleeds and chill you can stack on opponents, but it can be quite hard to sustain both of you while still trying to keep pressure when the necro gets focused
  • Rangers can be great in supporting a group, but I’d rather have a boon support guardian with me than a ranger when you prefer duo-over full-group-roaming.

After all everything goes and can be equally fun. That said I like me some boon support or some reliable stealth in outnumbered fights, so I’d chose support guardian or direct damage thieves…

Only downside in bringing a char from 1 to 80 with tomes would be the lack of experience and comfort with certain playstyles of the class.

Kodash [DE] – Ninja Nurse Rescue Squad [care] – Elementalist
A landing you can walk away from just wasn’t fast enough.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

I love running around with another Ele, primarily for all those delicious fields and finishers - but then you’re two squishies, and if a Thief ganks one of you the other needs to either run or hope they’re much more skilled than the aggressor.

I agree with maeggle for the two best to play with - Thief will likely stay king of small roaming for a long time, for their mobility, burst damage, and stealth... and a Guard can always take a beating while sharing out buffs (though if they’re doing the boonsharing you’d better be running something with reliable dps).

A guildie of mine is always Necro in WvW and that’s pretty great - I can see where maeggle is coming from with regards to condi Necro partner, but I’m running something more boonsharey (lots of might, fury, swiftness, pretty good protection, and a bit of regen and stability) and can easily keep myself and a few allies healed up, so most of my combat utility is control effects and ally support.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Thief…
A stealth double burst is the most OP thing in the game….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wreck.2634

Wreck.2634

@Maeggle I am pretty comfortable with every class since I earned the glory through pvping with every champ, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Thank for your great and informative feedback! I was leaning away from thief simply because that was one of my top played Spvp classes, but then again WvWvW is a totally new playing field. Ranger is the only class I haven’t touched so that was a bit attractive, I just see too many negative posts about pet AI and LFG issues.

Looks like I will be rolling a guardian or remaking my 80 ele that I deleted to transfer servers haha. Although Necro seems like a blast, it doesn’t seem to have enough mobility to keep up with ele.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

Thief, because invisible churning earths.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Swimsasa Stoon.8936

Hammer Warrior, did 12 2v2’s with a hammer warrior friend of mine and we didn’t even get downed. Just timed our snares and cc’s while using aoe’s and the hammer attacks to kill within seconds.

Also had a 2v5 and won.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

I’ve always wanted a really good 30-in-Virtues Guardian to roam along with.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

thief, wvw roaming can always have an extra thief.

in Elementalist

Posted by: amaranthined.5167

amaranthined.5167

My roaming buddy mains warrior, with a ranger as the fave alt for roaming. Both have been solid and fun for roaming with – I personally main staff and occasionally go d/d just to practice. We’ve won outnumbered fights plenty of times, imo it can help just knowing each other’s play styles so you can have each other’s backs.

That being said, I certainly wouldn’t turn down a thief or a guard to roam with. As far as duo-roaming goes, the only class I would be hesitant about is mesmer for the same reasons maeggle listed.

Henge of Denravi [VLK]
Zvezdana & Dana Uses Splash; Elementalist // Evegeniya; Engineer // Melinoe; Necromancer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Marquis.7412

Marquis.7412

Thief, because invisible churning earths.

I really want to try this now.

in Elementalist

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

I’ve only done 2vs2s with friends but. . .

if on a full kitten burst build, want a venomshare thief buddy

if on a balanced build, want a 30 virtues dps guardian buddy (ALL THE BOONS)

if I don’t care what class they play I’ll take a hambow because it’s about the safest, fairly effective, easiest build in game and noob proof.

if we want to down 1 target super fast, I’ll take a quickness bull’s charge 100blade warrior stunbreak/stability/random dodge/blocks/port on my burst rotation it’s pretty much a free down . . .

and condis builds arn’t really reliable. I wouldn’t want any condi build with me for a 2vs2.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Another ele is fun. So is guardian. Thief is okay.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Support guardian! Just a look at xunleashed video is a good example why. Another ele is fun too.

Not a fan of running many non stealth classes with a thief or Mesmer they are much more slippery so default is to kill you first.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}