Elementaliste can't use bow? why not?

in Elementalist

Posted by: ElQuebecois.4691

ElQuebecois.4691

i know a game that the bow’s based class’s skill are all elemental. most of them are AOE, so i could think this game do the same but add more elemental skill based on your chosen element. But i saw that they can’T use bow in the wiki, so i find that quite boring. why not? i would have tough of a skill that set your arrow in flames and when you shoot it, it put the area where it land into fire. Or another skill that freeze the arrow so when it touche an ennemie, it slower their movement speed and do aditional damage? i saw this more than once in games and i’m kind of confused why it’s not done here.

(edited by ElQuebecois.4691)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Velyanthe.6894

Velyanthe.6894

Eles have more weapon attacks than most/all other classes due to element switching, and in my play experience, bows aren’t particularly magical weapons. However, you can summon an ice bow with a certain skill and use that.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azunai.5974

Azunai.5974

bows aren’t particularly magical weapons..

You need a bigger imagination.

edit- Holy hell, how many games have you even played to not have run into magical bows/arrows at least once?

Resident deaf elementalist – Tarnished Coast
Everyone needs a little optimism!

(edited by Azunai.5974)

in Elementalist

ElQuebecois.4691

Eles have more weapon attacks than most/all other classes due to element switching

yes, and? it’S not like if you can use them all in a single fight since you can only use 2 weapon, and as an elementaliste, i prefer to focus on frost skill (water if you prefer) making in sort i don’t really use the others element.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

cuz they are too weak to pull back the string.. b’doom cheee >_>

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

in Elementalist

ElQuebecois.4691

can you write this in english please?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Soeki.9643

Soeki.9643

yes, and? it’S not like if you can use them all in a single fight since you can only use 2 weapon, and as an elementaliste, i prefer to focus on frost skill (water if you prefer) making in sort i don’t really use the others element.

If you are focusing on a single element you are limiting the potential of your elementalist by a great deal. And as it has been said before, if you want a longbow, just conjure one, it is even a frost one, your favourite element.

More weapons will be added later on, it has been confirmed. (As a side note, I’d rather see rifle added before longbow, focusing on long range, single target, high damage)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leuca.5732

Leuca.5732

Can you capitalize the first letter of your sentence please? Don’t forget to capitalize the first letter of proper nouns as well.

in Elementalist

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

I’d prefer pistol main and/or offhand. More likely they would do pistol or rifle or mace or torch etc than the weapons we already have a conjure for.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

I’d prefer pistol main and/or offhand. More likely they would do pistol or rifle or mace or torch etc than the weapons we already have a conjure for.

Ahem

…Seen my rifle ele thread yet? ;D

in Elementalist

ElQuebecois.4691

Can you capitalize the first letter of your sentence please? Don’t forget to capitalize the first letter of proper nouns as well.

it’s not a matter of gramar syntax and all, it’s a matter i didn’t understand what he write.

If you are focusing on a single element you are limiting the potential of your elementalist by a great deal. And as it has been said before, if you want a longbow, just conjure one, it is even a frost one, your favourite element.

More weapons will be added later on, it has been confirmed. (As a side note, I’d rather see rifle added before longbow, focusing on long range, single target, high damage)

can you tell me how we can conjure a frost bow? i haven’t seen anything like that… i’m new to this game.

in Elementalist

Posted by: K U T M.4539

K U T M.4539

it’s not a matter of gramar syntax and all, it’s a matter i didn’t understand what he write.

can you tell me how we can conjure a frost bow? i haven’t seen anything like that… i’m new to this game.

It’s a utility skill.

Basic [BS] NSP/Mag

in Elementalist

Posted by: SAKRAY.3690

SAKRAY.3690

Because we can summon an Ice Bow… Like how we can’t use Hammer/Greatsword/Shield/Axe yet Summon variants of them. Only missing some Rifle stuff now I guess zzz

Shichi Gatsu ~ Elementalist
Ichigo Bushi ~ Warrior

in Elementalist

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Ahem

Yup!

But rifle is too clunky, and I still wanna be able to RtL even in it’s horrendously nerfed state

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Da Beetus.1275

Da Beetus.1275

I would love to see a longbow or, better yet, shortbow for the Ele. I know, and love, the conjured Frost Bow (once I turned off the auto attack that is) but I still want some of the feel that comes from other shortbow weapons sets on my Ele.

Why do those that know the least know it the loudest?

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

Ahem

Yup!

But rifle is too clunky, and I still wanna be able to RtL even in it’s horrendously nerfed state

But, sniping from 1500 with massive blasts of fire, electricity, water, and earth ; – ;

I’d gladly lose some mobility for the chance to do some real sniping in this game!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Reiizm.5871

Reiizm.5871

bows aren’t particularly magical weapons.

What? And daggers are?

in Elementalist

Posted by: TheZeus.8617

TheZeus.8617

I would like to see them fix ele then make new weps sets.

Athena War Goddess
[TWIN] Anvil Rock

in Elementalist

Velyanthe.6894

bows aren’t particularly magical weapons..

You need a bigger imagination.

edit- Holy hell, how many games have you even played to not have run into magical bows/arrows at least once?

Well, as staves tend to be inherently magical, I usually just see bows as enchanted, as a sword or armor could be enchanted. I have run into some enchanted/magical bows, but they’re not typically mage-type weapons.

What? And daggers are?

No?

in Elementalist

Reiizm.5871

What? And daggers are?

No?

Then why can elementalists use them?

in Elementalist

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

I’d rather have the Ele use a Greatsword or Hammer and for offhand a Shield.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I’d honestly like to see two things:

1. Conjures redone to be linked to the caster’s Attuned Element. Thus we’d then have Elemental Greatsword/Axe/Hammer/Bow. Yea, this’d probably be a PITA to code, but would rock.
  2. “Fist” weapons. Imagine the kinda stuff an Ele could pull with Cestus/Hand-wraps.
Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

I’v thought the same thing with pistols. I’d die from joy if we could shoot our magic spells. Course thats what engineers are for tho.

#ELEtism

in Elementalist

ElQuebecois.4691

What? And daggers are?

No?

this is starting to get a bit silly right now xD, ok so now i’ve played Guild Wars 2 for 1 week, tested thing and here’s my conclusion. Biger race run slower than small race. Elementaliste can use dagger but can’t use bow (what?). Hunter can’t use gun (what?). Guardian are better DPS while warrior are better tank (what?), frost (“water”) elementaliste are best for support (what?). Summoning a water fall on my allies heal them (what?) xD

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

What? And daggers are?

No?

this is starting to get a bit silly right now xD, ok so now i’ve played Guild Wars 2 for 1 week, tested thing and here’s my conclusion.

Biger race run slower than small race.

False. They all run at the same speed. Bigger people seem slower by comparision becuae they’re… big.

Elementaliste can use dagger but can’t use bow (what?).

Frost Bow. Utility skill. I agree though, it needs to be a main weapon.

Hunter can’t use gun (what?). Guardian are better DPS while warrior are better tank (what?),

What? Not even close. Warriors have far superior DPS. Guardians are great at stayin alive but you don’t ‘tank’ in this game.

frost (“water”) elementaliste are best for support (what?).

Yeah, no. And even if they were good at support, what’s so bad about that?

Summoning a water fall on my allies heal them (what?) xD

Your post made me cringe. (what)

in Elementalist

Velyanthe.6894

Dude, I’m not saying can or cannot, I’m just talking about what I typically see. Daggers aren’t typical mage-y weapons, no, but neither are bows.

Personally I’ve always hated weapons restrictions on classes. It makes sense for anyone to use any weapon, just some weapons are more conventional or common for certain classes.

in Elementalist

Reiizm.5871

Dude, I’m not saying can or cannot, I’m just talking about what I typically see. Daggers aren’t typical mage-y weapons, no, but neither are bows.

Personally I’ve always hated weapons restrictions on classes. It makes sense for anyone to use any weapon, just some weapons are more conventional or common for certain classes.

Except bows do have the capacity to be “mage-y”. The Quincey from Bleach? Magick Archer from Dragon’s Dogma?

in Elementalist

ElQuebecois.4691

no need to be magical to do some elemental damage with bow, just light up your arrow with fire and you have a fire elemental skill, no magic used! exept if you create fire with your own hand (or else) xD

What? Not even close. Warriors have far superior DPS. Guardians are great at stayin alive but you don’t ‘tank’ in this game.

Warrior have every skill that prevent the ennemie to do damage against you (knockback, anti-control skill, shake it all), while guardian have AOE skill that do way more damage than the knockback of my warrior.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kethavel.1759

Kethavel.1759

Elementalist needs to be able to use a short bow so I can get a Dreamer! =)
It would be nice.

in Elementalist

Velyanthe.6894

Except bows do have the capacity to be “mage-y”. The Quincey from Bleach? Magick Archer from Dragon’s Dogma?

Not familiar with those examples, but any weapon or items has the capacity to be mage-y. Bows just aren’t commonly like that. At the very least, that is my view of them.

in Elementalist

ElQuebecois.4691

Not familiar with those examples, but any weapon or items has the capacity to be mage-y. Bows just aren’t commonly like that. At the very least, that is my view of them.

tell you what, not only in most of game i play (or played), bow are made to use elemental magic, but some of them don’t even need to be magic at all to do elemental damage (that exemple of lighting your arrow into fire before firing it work so well), i know 2 games where there is frost character that use bow to shoot on ennemies. i know another one that every skill of the bow are elemental. i know another one that the only way to have elemental bow (and/or dagger), is by enchanting them. I know another one that each time you fire with your bow, it can do a chain of lightning that can attack up to 4 minions at the same time. the only element i haven’t seen used by the bow is… earth -_-, so i think it’s time to make an exeption and to be unique.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

no need to be magical to do some elemental damage with bow, just light up your arrow with fire and you have a fire elemental skill, no magic used! exept if you create fire with your own hand (or else) xD

Warrior have every skill that prevent the ennemie to do damage against you (knockback, anti-control skill, shake it all), while guardian have AOE skill that do way more damage than the knockback of my warrior.

/facepalm

Warriors are the kings of DPS.
two words: Hundred Blades
Another word: Axe

Guardian’s hammer #2 does good dmg, but a Warrior’s adrenaline skill with hammer does the same damage, guaranteed to crit (traited) and stuns enemies on an 8s CD. Warriors also have hammer #3 which doesn’t do a ton of dmg, but it is instant… whereas guardian hammer builds only have #2 for quick damage.

I have fully geared a guardian and a warrior. Play them before you make stuff up.

in Elementalist

Velyanthe.6894

tell you what, not only in most of game i play (or played), bow are made to use elemental magic, but some of them don’t even need to be magic at all to do elemental damage (that exemple of lighting your arrow into fire before firing it work so well), i know 2 games where there is frost character that use bow to shoot on ennemies. i know another one that every skill of the bow are elemental. i know another one that the only way to have elemental bow (and/or dagger), is by enchanting them. I know another one that each time you fire with your bow, it can do a chain of lightning that can attack up to 4 minions at the same time. the only element i haven’t seen used by the bow is… earth -_-, so i think it’s time to make an exeption and to be unique.

Enchanted bow isn’t an inherently magic one.

Either way, your experience with bows in games is not mine. I don’t care about yours. Bows aren’t magic items to me. That’s my point.

in Elementalist

ElQuebecois.4691

there’s only one game i know where bow can turn “magic” by enchanting it, the rest, they all do magic without being enchanted.

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

Enchanted bow isn’t an inherently magic one.

Either way, your experience with bows in games is not mine. I don’t care about yours. Bows aren’t magic items to me. That’s my point.

Quite narrow-minded, aren’t you? You say bows can’t be magical without anything to back your statement, we tell you why you’re wrong with evidence, you say you don’t care about what we “think”.

Why are you on the forums if you don’t?

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

Just for some trivia, knives (daggers) have been used in ‘magic’ rituals for centuries among various cultures around the world.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Spartan Amada.9621

Spartan Amada.9621

Thank you Leuca for stating that. As I was reading this post I was amused at some of the unfortunate uninformed and narrow-minded views. First off, I’m a massive fan of the ‘Ice Bow’ mainly because I was highly intrigued with the concept from beta-launch. There’s so much more Anet can do with conjured weapons. But to stay on post topic I’ll state this, physical bows is a great idea, but I rather Anet just develop conjured weapons further. Make them more effective and efficient so their purpose becomes stronger. As an Elementalist, I should be able to make conjured forms of whatever weapon I want. And I’m hoping when this occurs I wouldn’t be too disappointed [because Anet has a habit of doing that to Eles.]
However, upon the early pre-launch of the game, Anet announced/showcased the original intent of the elements. Setting distinctive standards for the class as well.

When I want to shoot physical arrows with physical bows and have fancy effects, I’ll go on my Ranger and shoot through combo fields.

Join the herd or be a Lone Wolf, Silly sheep, I’m an Eagle bio-engineered by Asuran Technology

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

Thank you Leuca for stating that. As I was reading this post I was amused at some of the unfortunate uninformed and narrow-minded views. First off, I’m a massive fan of the ‘Ice Bow’ mainly because I was highly intrigued with the concept from beta-launch. There’s so much more Anet can do with conjured weapons. But to stay on post topic I’ll state this, physical bows is a great idea, but I rather Anet just develop conjured weapons further. Make them more effective and efficient so their purpose becomes stronger. As an Elementalist, I should be able to make conjured forms of whatever weapon I want. And I’m hoping when this occurs I wouldn’t be too disappointed [because Anet has a habit of doing that to Eles.]
However, upon the early pre-launch of the game, Anet announced/showcased the original intent of the elements. Setting distinctive standards for the class as well.

When I want to shoot physical arrows with physical bows and have fancy effects, I’ll go on my Ranger and shoot through combo fields.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Anet will even consider the easiest solution, which is to make conjures like engineer kits in that they would only be available to the elementalist. The only significant use you get out of sharing them is in PvE, which is completely unnecessary even from a dps point-of-view. People might think it’s cool to share your profession’s skills with other people but in the long run it does very little for the elementalist from a build-crafting perspective because of the ridiculous cooldown for summoning conjures in the first place.

To balance this function, you need to have a cooldown upon swapping out of your conjured weapon similar to swapping attunements.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

There’s a slight problem with conjured weapon skins being available as normal weapon skins too: how can you tell wheter the ele you’re facing is using his bow or a conjure bow? Which means the only options left are torch, warhorn, pistol and rifle I think.

Unfortunately, I don’t think Anet will even consider the easiest solution, which is to make conjures like engineer kits in that they would only be available to the elementalist.

I’m not 100% sure that’s the easiest solution. Engineers only have their 5 weapon skills to combo with. Elementalists would have 20 skills. Just imagine being able to rapid fire with your Frost Bow through every combo field you have. It would be tricky to balance (even if it would be preferable to the way things work now).

And how would you balance our elite? Same effect but a cooldown?

Or maybe, X uses (with swaps counting as uses too?) and THEN a cooldown. That might work.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Leuca.5732

I’m not 100% sure that’s the easiest solution. Engineers only have their 5 weapon skills to combo with. Elementalists would have 20 skills. Just imagine being able to rapid fire with your Frost Bow through every combo field you have. It would be tricky to balance (even if it would be preferable to the way things work now).

And how would you balance our elite? Same effect but a cooldown?

Or maybe, X uses (with swaps counting as uses too?) and THEN a cooldown. That might work.

The only set that will have access to that many fields is staff. The projectile finisher on that skill could just be 20% and be fine.

Honestly, I’m fine with the elite keeping its current function in terms of recharge, but by giving it exclusively to the elementalist you open room to make it functionally more powerful. This makes up for giving up access to your attunements and prevents people from abusing two swords.