Elementalists rejoice!

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Forums are completely devoid of ele qq now, yay! That means our class is okay and doesn’t suck right? Looks at tempest

It’s just sad that gw2 pvp has regressed till this state. Massive power creep across all classes except warrior and Ele, which makes us irrelevant. Even with a build that was strong pre-expac.

You know balance was thrown out of the window when a spec that was strong becomes under – average after the expac. I called it too. Rip ele #timetomainrev

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Alekt.5803

Alekt.5803

Tempest is strong.

Alerie Despins

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Strong is relative. And relative to the other elite specs, it isn’t.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

I can 1v2 revenants.

Alerie Despins

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Then the revenants you’re playing against are incompetent. Pray tell though, what makes you think tempest is strong?

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

I can 1v2 revenants.

2 equally skilled and geared revenants would put you in the ground.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

Then the revenants you’re playing against are incompetent. Pray tell though, what makes you think tempest is strong?

Tempest is strong because you can run a good condition clear without investing on cantrips. It is possible to run a marauder staff tempest that can survive.

Alerie Despins

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

What? I’m sorry but you just make no sense.

Able to clear conditions without cantrips =/= strong. It just means we have an alternative playstyle.

And even then, if you were to substitute aura for cantrips for condition clear, you will still need water traitline, so why run something sub optimal?

Moreover, marauder staff ele is able to survive even without tempest. The key weakness of the build are burst builds able to kill you almost instantly and tenpest does nothing to mitigate that. Tempest boost to survivability, if any, is minute at best.

Also, tempest brings nothing new to the table that traditional ele cannot already do. The only overload worth using is the air overload which boosts our damage quite a bit if we can channel the whole overload without repercussions (unlikely).

I’m seriously doubting the quality of your games if you’re able to 1v2 revenants with a marauder staff ele tempest build. Any half decent shiro/glint s/s staff revenant capable of facerolling his keyboard will be able to melt you (a full channel of unrelenting assault straight out kills you if you are unable to mitigate it).

Enlighten me?

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I’m convinced people will realize it in a few weeks, when the novelty of Tempest wears off and they start comparing it to the other elite professions, that they have been better designed.

Of course Air overload does nice damage (good for pve mostly) and fire overload gives some might, but the rest is severely lacking, specially the elite and warhorn which are beyond horrendous. Yeah you can bunker up and share auras, critting for 400 with the warhorn while your friends are discovering their powerful new skills making 6000 damage on a daredevil dodge and 10000 Reaper Shroud skill 5. But even there, numbers asside from a gameplay perspective it doesn’t come together as an unified idea and the skills are slow, unresponsive, and they work chain together well.

Wait until you see what combos people will pull off with the other professions. Tempest is just not up to the challenge.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Iohanna.4863

Iohanna.4863

Tempest is a dream-come-true for Earth / Water / Arcana Bunker Support Celestial Staff Elementalists in sPVP. Replace Arcana with Tempest: no more wasting dodges to proc Evasive Arcana and constantly switching attunements to maximize benefit from Arcana.

With Shouts instead of Cantrips, you now remove 2 conditions (instead of 1) per utility slot. You also get Protection, burst heals, and Auras – all of which Cantrips lacked. You get an Armor of Earth 2.0 (Overload Earth) every 20 seconds, and it doesn’t even take up a slot! Vanilla Bunker Ele was always immune to crits in Earth attunement, but now your utilities give you enough healing, cleansing, and protection to pretty much never need to switch out of Earth! If you get grossly outnumbered, you still have the good old Unsteady Earth to cover your escape while you switch into Water to recover. Except now you also have Overload Earth to hasten your escape! (It is unfortunate that Lightning Flash must be sacrificed, but one cannot have everything.)

In a team fight, both Fire and Air have excellent damage options. And everything your Shouts give you can be SHARED TO 5 ALLIES! All that protection, heals, regen, vigor, condi-cleanses, etc.

And if you want swiftness, you have Earth 2 into Air 5, Air 4, and your Overloads.

Constant source of Regen, Vigor, Protection, and heals. Immune to crits. Practically immune to conditions. Respectable access to damage, swiftness, stability, and stun-break.

Field tested – pretty overpowered bunker! Just…no Lightning Flash.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Some people like to play the doom and gloom hero no matter what, they just need gw2 meta build to show them the meta tempest build and you’ll see them glorify tempest with open threads..just wait 2-3 weeks and you’ll see…I mean just watch dragon hunter and all the ex-gloom and doom prophets now singing about Anet everlasting glory…lol

P.S – @ReaperJr.5967…so marauder staff would survive even without tempest? wow….such bold statement, pls prove it with a video how you gain same sustain/damage of marauder tempest staff..GL

(edited by Supreme.3164)

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

Mind sharing your full build?

Tempest is a dream-come-true for Earth / Water / Arcana Bunker Support Celestial Staff Elementalists in sPVP. Replace Arcana with Tempest: no more wasting dodges to proc Evasive Arcana and constantly switching attunements to maximize benefit from Arcana.

With Shouts instead of Cantrips, you now remove 2 conditions (instead of 1) per utility slot. You also get Protection, burst heals, and Auras – all of which Cantrips lacked. You get an Armor of Earth 2.0 (Overload Earth) every 20 seconds, and it doesn’t even take up a slot! Vanilla Bunker Ele was always immune to crits in Earth attunement, but now your utilities give you enough healing, cleansing, and protection to pretty much never need to switch out of Earth! If you get grossly outnumbered, you still have the good old Unsteady Earth to cover your escape while you switch into Water to recover. Except now you also have Overload Earth to hasten your escape! (It is unfortunate that Lightning Flash must be sacrificed, but one cannot have everything.)

In a team fight, both Fire and Air have excellent damage options. And everything your Shouts give you can be SHARED TO 5 ALLIES! All that protection, heals, regen, vigor, condi-cleanses, etc.

And if you want swiftness, you have Earth 2 into Air 5, Air 4, and your Overloads.

Constant source of Regen, Vigor, Protection, and heals. Immune to crits. Practically immune to conditions. Respectable access to damage, swiftness, stability, and stun-break.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

Yeah you can camp all the time in Earth and what do you achieve with that in sPVP?

You can stand on the node longer before die? Is you stay in earth you can’t heal yourself and your team, you can’t give them boons.

Popping every 20s Earth Overload is for you good use of Elemantalist class.

Only useful builds for Tempest are the ones that include air and fresh air which at least lets you use it every 5s or so all the other traits lines if you are interrupted 0.5s of the Overload you have to sit and wait for that attunements 20s, even that you go water and healing way, you can’t pop that much auras for your team mates to heal them more then Heals Per Minute of D/D Ele with 20s CDs on attunement switch.

I even didn’t start unlocking Elite Spec of my Ele, which my main, in PVE. Revenant, Reaper, Chrono are much more fun and its seems Scrapper will be also Cele God.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Iohanna.4863

1v1 you camp Earth attunement, and you CANNOT DIE. You don’t even need to move. Nothing beyond overwhelming numbers hurts you. Your Shouts do everything for you – healing, cleansing, protection, all shared with your allies. You just pop your Shouts + Earth cool-downs, auto-attack, and laugh as their full DPS build does absolutely nothing! In fact, they’re dying instead because I’m using Celestial gear so my attacks actually hurt.

2 vs 1 is a more appropriate challenge. I actually need to switch attunements sometimes, and use my dodges, and hide behind terrain.

3 vs 1 is very difficult, but I can last 5 to 10 seconds before they force me off the point. Goal in this case is to keep enemies busy as opposed to protecting the point.

Greater odds is much of the same thing, except I abandon the point immediately.

I don’t use Tempest in PVE.

(edited by Iohanna.4863)

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

1v1 you camp Earth attunement, and you CANNOT DIE. You don’t even need to move. Nothing beyond overwhelming numbers hurts you. Your Shouts do everything for you – healing, cleansing, protection, all shared with your allies. You just pop your Shouts + Earth cool-downs, auto-attack, and laugh as their full DPS build does absolutely nothing! In fact, they’re dying instead because I’m using Celestial gear so my attacks actually hurt.

2 vs 1 is a more appropriate challenge. I actually need to switch attunements sometimes, and use my dodges, and hide behind terrain.

3 vs 1 is very difficult, but I can last 5 to 10 seconds before they force me off the point. Goal in this case is to keep enemies busy as opposed to protecting the point.

Greater odds is much of the same thing, except I abandon the point immediately.

I don’t use Tempest in PVE.

I was about to take you seriously and then you posted this. Oh well.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Some people like to play the doom and gloom hero no matter what, they just need gw2 meta build to show them the meta tempest build and you’ll see them glorify tempest with open threads..just wait 2-3 weeks and you’ll see…I mean just watch dragon hunter and all the ex-gloom and doom prophets now singing about Anet everlasting glory…lol

P.S – @ReaperJr.5967…so marauder staff would survive even without tempest? wow….such bold statement, pls prove it with a video how you gain same sustain/damage of marauder tempest staff..GL

You obviously don’t play ele. And the burden of proof is not on me.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

You know, upon reading your post I too decided to drop arcana for earth. My biggest issue with Tempest right now was the lack of reliable stun breaker. Healing wise I was unkillable, it took 2 people to kil me and I would just heal most things up. However if any of them brought any CC they could mildly chain, I would die before the end of it all. Now I have a [near]on-command 10 secs CD stability. I must ask though, since Im at work and cant field test, does attuning to earth with the stability grant me a stun break?

From my knowledge it does. Its just one stack though. But in all honesty, being able to survive isn’t much of an issue for tempest in general. Its being able to survive and dish out pressure. Sure tempest/water/defensive traitline makes you survive. But so does earth/water/arcane. The problem? Tempest/water/defense traitline has almost no pressure at all.

You can make it sound good, say we can survive, share boons, support etc. But at the end of the day, so can other elite specs (cue Herald) and more, they can dish out damage too. But you can’t.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

You know, upon reading your post I too decided to drop arcana for earth. My biggest issue with Tempest right now was the lack of reliable stun breaker. Healing wise I was unkillable, it took 2 people to kil me and I would just heal most things up. However if any of them brought any CC they could mildly chain, I would die before the end of it all. Now I have a [near]on-command 10 secs CD stability. I must ask though, since Im at work and cant field test, does attuning to earth with the stability grant me a stun break?

From my knowledge it does. Its just one stack though. But in all honesty, being able to survive isn’t much of an issue for tempest in general. Its being able to survive and dish out pressure. Sure tempest/water/defensive traitline makes you survive. But so does earth/water/arcane. The problem? Tempest/water/defense traitline has almost no pressure at all.

You can make it sound good, say we can survive, share boons, support etc. But at the end of the day, so can other elite specs (cue Herald) and more, they can dish out damage too. But you can’t.

Dont ask me how I was able to try it at work, but I was able to test it in-game, it doesnt break stun. Deleted my post anyways since now it no longer applies to me.

I will give earth a try and post how it goes.

As far as pressure, true, we lack any burst, but I have been able to bring down several foes by attrition wars. I use cleric, not celestial, which gives me more raw damage, more healing, at the cost of passive defense. I have to be constantly on my tip toes but with a fully casted air/fire overload I can wear them down enough to make them go off point for a bit, and if they decide to stay, I can actually kill them if they dont pay attention to heir health (bad players, I know, but without ranked it is noobfest out there)

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Forums are completely devoid of ele qq now, yay! That means our class is okay and doesn’t suck right? Looks at tempest

It’s just sad that gw2 pvp has regressed till this state. Massive power creep across all classes except warrior and Ele, which makes us irrelevant. Even with a build that was strong pre-expac.

You know balance was thrown out of the window when a spec that was strong becomes under – average after the expac. I called it too. Rip ele #timetomainrev

Yea sure, blowing people up in one overcharge is totally not strong and applying 5 condis in one hit is not strong. Those things are totally weak.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Alekt.5803

Hmm… How do you stay in an attunement long enough to overload without losing pressure?

Co_j_re _ar_h S_ield.

How do you cleanse conditions now?… Invigorating Torrents / Cleansing Water.

Alerie Despins

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Yea sure, blowing people up in one overcharge is totally not strong and applying 5 condis in one hit is not strong. Those things are totally weak.

What are you even talking about.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Dont ask me how I was able to try it at work, but I was able to test it in-game, it doesnt break stun. Deleted my post anyways since now it no longer applies to me.

I will give earth a try and post how it goes.

As far as pressure, true, we lack any burst, but I have been able to bring down several foes by attrition wars. I use cleric, not celestial, which gives me more raw damage, more healing, at the cost of passive defense. I have to be constantly on my tip toes but with a fully casted air/fire overload I can wear them down enough to make them go off point for a bit, and if they decide to stay, I can actually kill them if they dont pay attention to heir health (bad players, I know, but without ranked it is noobfest out there)

It’s a veryyyyyyy long attrition war given the survivability of all the classes atm. Which usually isn’t a good thing. The pre -spec patch ele used to do the same thing (00266), just that then the classes weren’t so obscenely op. So it worked. Post HoT it doesn’t work anymore.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

I dunno, I’m just pretending tempest doesn’t exist and it’s been working out pretty well for me. I don’t think d/d is in a horrible spot, but the elite specs brought a lot of unbalance into the game, so everything balanced or a bit overpowered seems to be heavily underpowered.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Iohanna.4863

Build Editor hasn’t been updated yet for Invigorating Torrents, but here is the Immortal Tempest build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWn0XC9XiVYCOYCcYilNAzdv+XPsErgUwIY4BEAugA-TJRJwAAeAA02fg7FA4XZAA

The key thing about Staff Bunker Eles is that Earth gives near perma-weakness (it’s not permanent if they dodge) via auto-attack vs 1 enemy, on top of crit-immunity (which completely negates any Precision and Ferocity your opponent may have invested in). That perma-weakness is what lets you completely repel any single enemy, regardless of their skill level or build. I mean come on, you’re already immune to crits and (practically immune to) conditions – how does a single player stand any chance of forcing you off if they also have to deal with weakness? And they also have to worry about their own health – you still do pretty good damage even though you’re a bunker.

The key thing about Tempest that enhances Staff Bunker Ele is that Shouts are better than Cantrips: more heals, protection, cleansing, and Magnetic Aura while you’re camping Earth. And having Overload Earth without sacrificing any utility slots is very nice. And having protection reduce damage by 40% instead of 33% is also nice.

Pre-HoT Staff Bunker Eles needed to switch into Water and Fire regularly for additional heals, evades, and AOE pressure; Earth + Cantrips did not give you everything you needed.

(edited by Iohanna.4863)

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Lol I would have to agree. At least forums are completely devoid of Ele QQ. I’ll take it.

I still wanted a good elite spec that matches the power that others have gotten. Or at the very least had a good concept. Seriously I think that Mainhand Sword would have been an amazing spec.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Axialbloom.8109

Forums are devoid of ele ANYTHING…

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

It is because all the Ele players moved on to Rev since we didn’t get much of an incentive to stick around for Ele. :P

naaaah but really I am only sticking to ele due to my gear and a sense of loyalty. I would honestly suggest people not play ele if they asked me what class they should play. All the other classes seem to offer so much in HoT.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Cynical.2097

Cynical.2097

It is because all the Ele players moved on to Rev since we didn’t get much of an incentive to stick around for Ele. :P

naaaah but really I am only sticking to ele due to my gear and a sense of loyalty. I would honestly suggest people not play ele if they asked me what class they should play. All the other classes seem to offer so much in HoT.

I actually really want to move on. It almost feels like betrayal; however no other classes provide the feeling I get when playing my D/D ele. So I basically just play the new content as if nothing was added to the ele.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Senario.2038

I actually really want to move on. It almost feels like betrayal; however no other classes provide the feeling I get when playing my D/D ele. So I basically just play the new content as if nothing was added to the ele.

I’m mostly the same though I do also like Staff ele when I’m feeling a little less “press all the buttons” and more of “I kinda just want to go through this without putting much stress on my hands”. It is more of a personal thing but I do agree that Dagger Dagger Ele is just about the most exciting thing I’ve tried in this game to date as it requires a lot of skill and is just exceptionally fast paced.

That said, if Mainhand Sword Elite spec came out and was similar to Dagger dagger (maybe with a more damaging moveset with fast casting/rotations to match the power creep of other elites) I’d be very excited. I love battle mage type classes and have seen many types of them such as the super main group tank type, one that does a bit of everything and has enough durability to last in the front line, and one that focuses on basic attacking and auto casting (through use of skill buffs) basic skills which add up to high dps.

Honestly I think giving Mainhand sword a way to play fast, do decent(higher than dagger dagger damage), and be good in frontline AoE/big battles would be amazing. I think the main problem being that you would have to make it a spec that is about both tankiness and damage as Water/Arcane can only take you as far as small group fights even if you have ascended gear. Big fights you generally aren’t as good.

As much as I just want to see a mainhand sword ele, I’m not sure it’ll be happening anytime soon. They likely will try to fumble around with tempest a bit more trying to get ppl to play it when really a lot of the ele community just feels lukewarm to it as they notice other classes’ elites and how good they are comparatively.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Not only I play Ele but I can confirm also that my knowledge of the class far exceed yours, for this very reason I’ll be always very vocal against excessive buffs to the elite that would bring the ele back to FOTM status.

ESL Tournie has showed to all of us that those who claim tempest is bad as elite, have various L2P issues, if ESL players can land overloads with ease at that level and you can’t ….then guess where the problem lies…

I have not switched to core ele since HoT launch, having success everywhere using various trait set ups , no profession/elite has proved to be an impossible fight…and I simply adore the warhorn, it suits me just too well; this doesn’t stop me from using all other weapon set with tempest.

The addition of invigorating torrent was the last thing tempest really needed, it’s now viable, strong ..but not broken OP as it was pre oct patch d/d fire ele.

The truth is I’m glad that for once ele got a viable spec that actually require a min of skill to play effectively and not something like the old fire d/d ele with RoF spam that any newb could run in soloq and do good with, while not having full knowledge of the class

The “big” guys like tempest, one even won the last ESL tournie so.. tempest is bad? nahh..it’s a L2P issue

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Axialbloom.8109

You cannot take Invigorating Torrents and the 100% needed stability trait at the same time.

Tempest is just…meh.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Iohanna.4863

You cannot take Invigorating Torrents and the 100% needed stability trait at the same time.

Tempest is just…meh.

You only get one stack of stability. Overload Earth has natural stability, and if you’re going Fresh Air you can just wait 5-7 seconds for your next Overload. Invigorating Torrents is far better.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Not only I play Ele but I can confirm also that my knowledge of the class far exceed yours, for this very reason I’ll be always very vocal against excessive buffs to the elite that would bring the ele back to FOTM status.

ESL Tournie has showed to all of us that those who claim tempest is bad as elite, have various L2P issues, if ESL players can land overloads with ease at that level and you can’t ….then guess where the problem lies…

I have not switched to core ele since HoT launch, having success everywhere using various trait set ups , no profession/elite has proved to be an impossible fight…and I simply adore the warhorn, it suits me just too well; this doesn’t stop me from using all other weapon set with tempest.

The addition of invigorating torrent was the last thing tempest really needed, it’s now viable, strong ..but not broken OP as it was pre oct patch d/d fire ele.

The truth is I’m glad that for once ele got a viable spec that actually require a min of skill to play effectively and not something like the old fire d/d ele with RoF spam that any newb could run in soloq and do good with, while not having full knowledge of the class

The “big” guys like tempest, one even won the last ESL tournie so.. tempest is bad? nahh..it’s a L2P issue

I almost took you seriously. You should add me up for some good old marauder mirror duels.

Jokes aside, landing overloads isn’t the problem. Never was. What you just said only proved that you’re inept at even realising what the issue with Tempest with.

Tempest, on its own, isn’t bad. Tempest, when compared to other elite specs, is. Why? Because tempest offers nothing the traditional ele cannot offer.

As for people who won ESL with tempest, it’s because they are better than their opponents. Either that or they are testing strats involving tempest in tournament settings, and it worked. That does not necessary mean tempest is good. Quite the contrary.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

I’m thinking water tempest earth cele is a very viable spec in pvp. But I also think the fact we cant swap attunement while overloading make this spec the most boring i ever played. And I also don’t see any reason for this, because constantly swap attunement for overlad element is more a cripple for you than a OPiness factor.

Parabrezza

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

Mate, if you sit in earth yours attacks dont hurt, even if you go full zerk. The only thing that can hurt is reflect things

Parabrezza

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Supreme.3164

Dunno why this thread..if the OP doesn’t like tempest, he can simply go and play other professions, this is a simple drama thread that offers no feedback but only insults from the OP towards anyone that disagree with him.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Build Editor hasn’t been updated yet for Invigorating Torrents, but here is the Immortal Tempest build:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWn0XC9XiVYCOYCcYilNAzdv+XPsErgUwIY4BEAugA-TJRJwAAeAA02fg7FA4XZAA

The key thing about Staff Bunker Eles is that Earth gives near perma-weakness (it’s not permanent if they dodge) via auto-attack vs 1 enemy, on top of crit-immunity (which completely negates any Precision and Ferocity your opponent may have invested in). That perma-weakness is what lets you completely repel any single enemy, regardless of their skill level or build. I mean come on, you’re already immune to crits and (practically immune to) conditions – how does a single player stand any chance of forcing you off if they also have to deal with weakness? And they also have to worry about their own health – you still do pretty good damage even though you’re a bunker.

The key thing about Tempest that enhances Staff Bunker Ele is that Shouts are better than Cantrips: more heals, protection, cleansing, and Magnetic Aura while you’re camping Earth. And having Overload Earth without sacrificing any utility slots is very nice. And having protection reduce damage by 40% instead of 33% is also nice.

Pre-HoT Staff Bunker Eles needed to switch into Water and Fire regularly for additional heals, evades, and AOE pressure; Earth + Cantrips did not give you everything you needed.

I theorized during beta this staff bunker tempest build might be viable, but I think you are up-selling it a little bit too much.

It’s not a direct upgrade to bunker; it’s a trade off.

An arcane based bunker that depends on a constant attunement rotation gives you full access to all your staff abilities, giving you more CC for peels, more damage pressure from fire and more combo fields for team coordinated blasts.

You trade off the availability of that utility for more survivability and probably more healing potential from shouts when you play a tempest bunker based off staying in one spec and less overall attunement swapping. I also think you are going to have a harder time in a 2 vs 1 against both a zerker and a condi build than the traditional staff bunker does, because those fights take some careful management of being in water and earth at the right times and you also don’t run ether renewal.

And this ultimately is why tempest is such a huge disappointment.

We have a long history of being a bunker and only a bunker in PvP and now in HoT, we have a new elite specialization that allows us to continue to be a bunker with roughly the same power, but in a different way.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

(edited by MadRabbit.3179)

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

when i play support tempest people don’t realise that i’m full support, they run away from me when i try to heal them and whatever. they leave me in 1v1s that i obviously can’t win lol and 90% of the time the enemy just stops attacking me because there is no reason to anyway because they can’t kill me.. that’s just how much people care about tempest.

oh and when i use rebound people don’t even notice that i just used my elite :’)

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

I almost took you seriously. You should add me up for some good old marauder mirror duels.

Jokes aside, landing overloads isn’t the problem. Never was. What you just said only proved that you’re inept at even realising what the issue with Tempest with.

Tempest, on its own, isn’t bad. Tempest, when compared to other elite specs, is. Why? Because tempest offers nothing the traditional ele cannot offer.

As for people who won ESL with tempest, it’s because they are better than their opponents. Either that or they are testing strats involving tempest in tournament settings, and it worked. That does not necessary mean tempest is good. Quite the contrary.

Well I mean its totally true that tempest isn’t as differentiated from base elementalist in terms of role and what it can do for a team compared to say ranger vs. druid, however I’d still argue that its differentiated by being a completely different playstyle than base ele. The old synergies of water-arcana don’t work well with the concept of tempest, so the most viable builds for tempest use air and earth instead, which I think is amazing, since everyone had been lamenting being forced into water and arcane until the end of time.

I’d also argue that Tempest just fits in with the current meta a lot betterbase elementalist. Fire D/D ele can’t survive dragonhunter trap bursts very well, so almost all of the people still playing base ele have swapped to stone heart builds to handle it. Tempest handles this better by being able to run focus and earth traits and having higher personal and comparable group protection uptime, and Air overload is extremely high AoE damage and vuln stacking that doesn’t even need mightstacking to do work with cele stats (I’ve taken 10K from other tempests in celestial from the death breakdown with air overload), unlike base ele which needs to slowly accumulate mightstacks to be effective. Wash the Pain Away and the shouts that apply healing auras provide so much healing that we really don’t need water traits at all to output good healing with tempest.

D/D ele might still be a bit better in 1v1s, but the new meta is so teamfight oriented that being great in teamfights is a lot more important than being a good duelist, and even then, fresh air diamond skin tempest can still hold 1v1s relatively well.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: EsarioOne.9840

EsarioOne.9840

Strong is relative. And relative to the other elite specs, it isn’t.

I like this guy.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: grahf.7540

grahf.7540

Thanks for sharing the build. I did try it for 5 games last night…

Definitely it is extremely hard to die with this build. In teamfights if you concentrate on only using earth overload, you generally won’t be interrupted. The problem is this locks you out of earth for 20sec… So in general overloading still might not be worth it. I feel like the build might be most effective if you do not ever overload unless in a favorable situation (2v1, 3v1 in your favor). In that sense it’s a ‘win-more’ skill.

In terms of damage output it is quite low, as expected. It is hard to kill someone unless you can off an Overload Air without being interrupted (very rare).

I will reiterate what I said earlier in the thread: support Tempest can be fairly powerful and useful. But it requires good team coordination. I feel like this build could succeed in ESL where a pro team coordinates to benefit most from auras, shouts etc.

In solo queue I found it a very helpless situation where I felt like I had little effect on the outcome of the match. It’s like the opposite of being a carry. You can win with this build if the rest of your team is solid, but if they are somewhat weak, you are pretty much screwed. Personally I enjoy having a more active role in fights that can turn entire matches around.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Dunno why this thread..if the OP doesn’t like tempest, he can simply go and play other professions, this is a simple drama thread that offers no feedback but only insults from the OP towards anyone that disagree with him.

You’re right. This is a salt thread. Nonetheless, I’ve posted many other threads stating what the issues tempest had to no avail. Anet just doesn’t care. I also don’t want ele to become fotm again (if you notice I called for ele nerfs before I realised the other elite specs were so op), but tempest is ridiculous(ly bad).

‘If you don’t like x, just don’t play x.’ That’s a very shallow comment on your part. Right, I could not play it. But would that solve the problem? No. Tempest remains underpowered. And I want to play tempest. I just don’t like that it’s so underwhelming.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Well I mean its totally true that tempest isn’t as differentiated from base elementalist in terms of role and what it can do for a team compared to say ranger vs. druid, however I’d still argue that its differentiated by being a completely different playstyle than base ele. The old synergies of water-arcana don’t work well with the concept of tempest, so the most viable builds for tempest use air and earth instead, which I think is amazing, since everyone had been lamenting being forced into water and arcane until the end of time.

I’d also argue that Tempest just fits in with the current meta a lot betterbase elementalist. Fire D/D ele can’t survive dragonhunter trap bursts very well, so almost all of the people still playing base ele have swapped to stone heart builds to handle it. Tempest handles this better by being able to run focus and earth traits and having higher personal and comparable group protection uptime, and Air overload is extremely high AoE damage and vuln stacking that doesn’t even need mightstacking to do work with cele stats (I’ve taken 10K from other tempests in celestial from the death breakdown with air overload), unlike base ele which needs to slowly accumulate mightstacks to be effective. Wash the Pain Away and the shouts that apply healing auras provide so much healing that we really don’t need water traits at all to output good healing with tempest.

D/D ele might still be a bit better in 1v1s, but the new meta is so teamfight oriented that being great in teamfights is a lot more important than being a good duelist, and even then, fresh air diamond skin tempest can still hold 1v1s relatively well.

I agree with you somewhat. However imo water is still mandatory. Without it, once you run into condi builds you’re a goner. And yes, fire dd basically gets countered by dh, so everyone runs d/x now. Personally I run d/f earth/water/Arcana or tempest. The problem with that is, arcana performs better than tempest. Now I was thinking the issue might be because I have no fresh air, so remove water right? Where do I get my condi cleanses then?

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

Now I was thinking the issue might be because I have no fresh air, so remove water right? Where do I get my condi cleanses then?

The same pronlem i have to make scepter fresh air builds. Since i always mained SF I wanted to try SF marauder air water tempest but is too squiscy. So i tried earth air temepest with shout and soldier rune. It’s totaly good vs power spec and also the survability in team fight is not bad ty by stone heart and a lot of protection, but I dont have enought condi cleanse out of earth focus 4.
But I have to tell you, I was running only 2 shout (the heal and the earth one) since lighting flash and arcane shield/mist form are a must for me, maybe sometime I like to slot rebound just because Im tired to see FGS icon on my skill bar.
Maybe a cele build can drop another utility for another shout. But even that i dont want to try it. Im just too much bored of ddcele to play a more boring version of it. So Im spending my time into other classe.

Parabrezza

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Iohanna.4863

Definitely it is extremely hard to die with this build. In teamfights if you concentrate on only using earth overload, you generally won’t be interrupted. The problem is this locks you out of earth for 20sec… So in general overloading still might not be worth it. I feel like the build might be most effective if you do not ever overload unless in a favorable situation (2v1, 3v1 in your favor). In that sense it’s a ‘win-more’ skill.

In terms of damage output it is quite low, as expected. It is hard to kill someone unless you can off an Overload Air without being interrupted (very rare).

I will reiterate what I said earlier in the thread: support Tempest can be fairly powerful and useful. But it requires good team coordination. I feel like this build could succeed in ESL where a pro team coordinates to benefit most from auras, shouts etc.

In solo queue I found it a very helpless situation where I felt like I had little effect on the outcome of the match. It’s like the opposite of being a carry. You can win with this build if the rest of your team is solid, but if they are somewhat weak, you are pretty much screwed. Personally I enjoy having a more active role in fights that can turn entire matches around.

Thanks for trying it out! I had the opportunity to get a few hours of PVP with this build last night, and I found that practice has allowed me to carry the team – regardless of their skill level. I had 11 games, won 9, lost 2. One was because I volunteered to get auto balanced (wanted to see how long I could last against 4 player focus fire – 15 seconds, surprisingly long), another was because the difference in performance between the teams was simply too great for my presence to compensate for. I have some tips that may help:

- I’ve been quite loud about Earth attunement, but you absolutely must learn to use the other attunements to get the most out of this build.

- Earth is best used to tank your opponent’s more damaging abilities so that you are safer when using your other attunements. You can camp Earth to let your Shouts recharge in a safe place.

- A good time to switch out of Earth is after you’ve gained a ton of protection from aura spam.. Don’t underestimate the protection boon, and don’t underestimate auras.

- Earth 2 blasts Water 4 to give area Frost Aura; this is my favorite way to switch. Frost Aura grants you an additional 10% damage reduction – you already have 40% from protection and may have 10% from Earth minor trait, so against opponents in close range you have a whopping 60% damage reduction after the switch.

- You have reduced Water cool downs, don’t be afraid to pop everything. In particular I like to use Overload Water even if I’m at full health – it extends my regeneration + protection boons, tanks conditions, and gives Frost Aura if I manage to finish it.

- Fire is excellent, you should do your best to drop a few Fire skills when Earth is on vacation. Fire 2 and 3 have extremely short cast times, and Fire 4 is a very nice evade. Don’t be afraid to cast Fire 5, you should still have protection and if you get CCed, Overload Fire should be available by then to break stun.

- I typically start/enter fights with Air 5 plus Overload Air. Air 3 is nice for interrupting stomps. But Air does not usually see much fighting for me. I mostly use Air whenever I need swiftness.

- You have perma vigor! Don’t forget to dodge!

- Don’t worry about all the complaints about Tempest on the forums. I wouldn’t mind a Tempest buff that makes me even more unstoppable!

(edited by Iohanna.4863)

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

ReaperJr.5967

Thanks for trying it out! I had the opportunity to get a few hours of PVP with this build last night, and I found that practice has allowed me to carry the team – regardless of their skill level. I had 11 games, won 9, lost 2. One was because I volunteered to get auto balanced (wanted to see how long I could last against 4 player focus fire – 15 seconds, surprisingly long), another was because the difference in performance between the teams was simply too great for my presence to compensate for. I have some tips that may help:

- I’ve been quite loud about Earth attunement, but you absolutely must learn to use the other attunements to get the most out of this build.

- Earth is best used to tank your opponent’s more damaging abilities so that you are safer when using your other attunements. You can camp Earth to let your Shouts recharge in a safe place.

- A good time to switch out of Earth is after you’ve gained a ton of protection from aura spam.. Don’t underestimate the protection boon, and don’t underestimate auras.

- Earth 2 blasts Water 4 to give area Frost Aura; this is my favorite way to switch. Frost Aura grants you an additional 10% damage reduction – you already have 40% from protection and may have 10% from Earth minor trait, so against opponents in close range you have a whopping 60% damage reduction after the switch.

- You have reduced Water cool downs, don’t be afraid to pop everything. In particular I like to use Overload Water even if I’m at full health – it extends my regeneration + protection boons, tanks conditions, and gives Frost Aura if I manage to finish it.

- Fire is excellent, you should do your best to drop a few Fire skills when Earth is on vacation. Fire 2 and 3 have extremely short cast times, and Fire 4 is a very nice evade. Don’t be afraid to cast Fire 5, you should still have protection and if you get CCed, Overload Fire should be available by then to break stun.

- I typically start/enter fights with Air 5 plus Overload Air. Air 3 is nice for interrupting stomps. But Air does not usually see much fighting for me. I mostly use Air whenever I need swiftness.

- You have perma vigor! Don’t forget to dodge!

Wait.. you tested this in hot join? No offense but that is no way in hell a reliable indication of a builds ability.

- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Wait.. you tested this in hot join? No offense but that is no way in hell a reliable indication of a builds ability.

As someone who plays staff bunker religiously, the tempest staff bunker version is solid on paper and I am looking forward to trying it out. There is a version of it on metabattle for D/D in test atm.

Your beefs with tempest are valid. It doesn’t add anything new to our class. It’s just a different way to bunker with roughly the same potential as the old bunker builds.

Yes, other elite specs are stronger. Yes, we got screwed with tempest. I’ve been very critical of tempest during beta. But don’t want to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

Tempest has been working awesome for me. My regular build has only been improved by it.

Glad to see the doom and gloom still hasn’t subsided. Never change, profession forums. Never change.

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

For cleanses on air/earth tempest cele builds I generally run diamond skin and soldier runes with all shouts to help with the cleanse. Earth focus 4 has a 16 second cooldown with geomancers freedom (which reduces chill duration go figure) and that clears 3 condis in addition to being a reflect and blast finisher.

With this setup I’m able to manage conditions well enough to sustain myself, and diamond skin lets me handle 1v1s against condi duelist builds to the point of it being unfair for them.

The main issue with condis is when you’re fighting things like power reapers that apply a lot of chill but deal physical damage so they can break your diamond skin, but in general I’m not as afraid of the damaging conditions themselves as much as I am for power builds with high debuff pressure.

You can run water instead of air for powerful auras, which is strong for healing and sharing shocking aura, but as a tempest you don’t benefit as much from the water swap since you don’t have arcane, and this build will actually want to use water overload at rare times.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Elementalists rejoice!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Tempest has been working awesome for me. My regular build has only been improved by it.

Glad to see the doom and gloom still hasn’t subsided. Never change, profession forums. Never change.

You can’t really blame people for not liking it. There was this person doing a poll about favourite specs in hot and tempest got the least votes by far. Please note that over 12K poeple participated it, so it’s not some made up statistic. For me and apparently a lot of people it’s not fun nor we’re excited about it. While you might think it’s great, it seems like lots of people do not and they have reasons not to.

I personally just stopped playing ele completely. It makes me a bit sad as I’ve played ele mostly for such a long time, but I can not longer have fun with the class nor have the joy of trying new stuff since tempest is just trash to me. I did try, but it was so annoying to use, I swapped back a few minutes after. Oh well, hope the future balance for eles will be good and the class will have a spot in every gamemode.