Elemetalists Are Like Glass Cannon!

in Elementalist

Posted by: pizdek.2168

pizdek.2168

Does anyone else have noticed that Elementalists are quite squishy and very easy to bring down? Whether underwater or on the land it’s really hard to stay alive while more than one opponent comes by.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Daoed.1328

Daoed.1328

Spec into Earth and use some earth spells. I can handle a lot more damage and if you move around right you can evade a lot of it as well

in Elementalist

Posted by: NakedMoleRat.2605

NakedMoleRat.2605

It depends using a staff is great for staying alive. You can kite for days and do okish damage. You wont kill stuff fast but you can survive long enough to kill a fair amount of opponents as long as you aim down the ranged guys first.

in Elementalist

Posted by: pizdek.2168

pizdek.2168

My traits focus on Fire and Earth and yes I do use Staff, but I still think that Elementalists are a bit weaker than other classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

If you build like one.

Aim for toughness and vitality with your gear and your traits. Use durability spells for your utility spells.

Make sure you have the appropriate weapon. I prefer Scepter/Dagger most of the time. Staff for WvW. And Scepter/Focus for Dungeons.

Use affinities properly. Don’t just switch for the hell of it. Switch for a reason.

Generally Fire is for pure damage. Earth is preparing for damage. Water is for kiting and healing. And Wind is for chasing/running away.

Anet make Rev great again.

in Elementalist

Posted by: El Nazgir.4513

El Nazgir.4513

I’ve been experiencing very different things. Then again, I do fully spec into earth. In sPvP I can usually hold my own against several opponents while whittling down glass cannons that can’t get me down.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Quintal.6594

Quintal.6594

Try grabbing renewing stamina from tier 2 arcane. With any sort of decent crit rate you’ll have near perma vigor, letting you dodge like crazy.

in Elementalist

Posted by: alocay.2450

alocay.2450

Does anyone else have noticed that Elementalists are quite squishy and very easy to bring down? Whether underwater or on the land it’s really hard to stay alive while more than one opponent comes by.

I find that using dual daggers and staying on my toes helps me stay alive. Dual daggers gives me multiple abilities to get away from a mob (or towards them) while inflicting damage.

You can always use your air shield, dash at them with Ride the Lightning, knock them back (which pushes you away as well). Then dash at them with the ability in your fire attunement, create a ring of fire, dodge away, etc.

Remember the ride the lighting and fire dash can also be used to get away from a mob, especially the fire dash since it will leave a trail of fire that will burn them as well. It’s pretty useful.

Edric Stormborne – Stormbluff Isle

in Elementalist

Posted by: parrk.4690

parrk.4690

I only die when my cantrips are on cd and a mob gets off a lucky cripple or something that I can remove or shorten…and my elemental is on cd….and I am out of stamina….and earth armor isnt up.

I love the trait ability that allows you to remove burn and freeze with dodge.

in Elementalist

Posted by: MasterK.2394

MasterK.2394

I only die when I’m AFK, fall from a jumping puzzle or in a dungeon. I’ve currently built 10 earth / 15 Water / 10 Arcane. The rest in Air and my gear is focused on Power/Toughness/Healing Power. Even though it seems like stats are all over the place, it actually works with Scepter/Dagger.

NZXT Phantom 410 case | Asus P8Z77-V LX | i5 – 3570k@4.2Ghz | Zalman CNPS 9900 Max
Corsair V. 1600Mhz 8GB DDR3 RAM | WD Black 1TB HDD | Nvidia Geforce GTX 660

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gofr.5794

Gofr.5794

I build my elementalist like a tank. I max out earth and water, then got 10 in arcane. For gear stats I try to get some kind of condition dmg, toughness, healing, and vitality. Depending on whether I want to be tankier or deal more dmg I’ll swap around with condition dmg with vitality. My usual weapon combo tends to scepter/focus and I always stick with earth and water. My utilities are are 2 cantrips and an extra that I always swap around with depending how I see things going. I also have my traits focused on my cantrips in order to maximize their effectiveness.

This build usually helps keep me up long enough to wreak some havoc. Even assassins have a tough time getting a quick kill off. As for pve, kiting is still required, but at least you won’t die in 2 hits.

Gofr, Asura Elementalist;
Garn the Rageblade, Charr Warrior;
Crystal Desert; Member of Crack Clan

(edited by Gofr.5794)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avalron.1569

Avalron.1569

The already do a lot of damage, had they made them also tanky… GG no re every time..

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avatar Roku.1653

Every profession will feel like a glass cannon if you choose just power and crit in every item and trait. If you can’t evade well enough then take some defensive stuff.
Try other weapons maybe. If you’re having trouble with more than 1 enemy then the problem lies somewhere else, not the profession.

in Elementalist

Posted by: CarP.3401

CarP.3401

This is the case, untill you learn how to swap between set of spells.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nuprin Feelgood.9257

Nuprin Feelgood.9257

Elementalists are only squishy if you arent using all their powers.
You also cant just sit back and press 2 and expect to survive.
You need to use your armors, shields, and dodge dodge dodge. Stay at a distance, or spec yourself for speed so they cant hit you.
Invest some points into Earth traits for some toughness, and equip yourself with armor and weapons that add vitality. Just remember that every fight is just a DPS race, so keep your gear current and your damage output high and you will be fine.
Personally I like the Valkyrie builds, with power/vitality/crit dam%.

“Sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a Chicken.” — Tyler Durden

Similarly, equiping a legendary weapon does not make you a legend.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chimosh.6732

Chimosh.6732

Take out the cannon.

Because we are just Glass atm.

in Elementalist

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Swapped to 20/10/10/10/20 build last night for PvE. I use a staff and gear stated for power/prec/toughness. Pretty durable so far. But DPS is so very low, but I guess living a bit longer is more prefereable.

Problem is that you really just can’t have one set but it’s terribly expensive to make/buy new ones. Next goal is a cleric set then Valkrie one which is at least 70 golds worth to put together. Mats needed are so hyper rare and the anti farmer code makes gather mats even more slow.

Ah well, back to the grind; have to save up 20g+ to buy/sigil up a set of main/offhand weapons now before I even think of making new armor sets. Zug zug…

(edited by fixit.7189)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

Elementalists require skill and finesse to be played, what’s new?

If you die that much, follow the pro forum advice and go PVT + 30 in water and earth. You will do 0 damage but at least you will remain alive.

If you still die… then reroll a mesmer or guardian, those are very forgiving and easy to play.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Baladir.2736

Baladir.2736

Lol Razor. Kudos to Asura for necroing the thread. Not much has changed in 6 months. With 1000 hours in Asura, that’s all there is to say about the Ele?

I doubt I will ever build a glass cannon. I would have liked to give one a try, but the class does not favor that.