Elite spec:The Duelist(Sword,Burst,&Stances)

in Elementalist

Posted by: King Kai.4516

King Kai.4516

The Duelist
Dashing into the heart of combat and aided by the elements, the duelist is ready to confront any foe one on one within the battle field! The duelist uses parry’s, dodges, and blocks that allow them to use their enemies’ attacks against them while utilizing elemental burst modes that bring their abilities to incredible heights. This elite spec is a front line single target damage dealer/tank. In raids it excels in mitigating boss damage to itself and having high single target damage. Please suggest your own improvements where you deem necessary and rate!

Class Mechanic
Elemental burst modes-attunements also have a 4-part bar above them that fills a bar anytime damage is mitigated (evaded, blocked, invulnerable, or reflected). Current bar count transfers between attunements. Once filled click the attunement to enter into the any of the below modes for 10 seconds (modes can stack)

Fire mode-each time damage is mitigated increase damage by 1% for 5 seconds (can stack)

Air mode- each time damage is mitigated grant quickness for 1

Earth mode-each time damage is mitigated grant protection for 1

Water mode-each time damage is mitigated cure a condition

Weapon (Sword)

Fire
Flame slash- range 150, slash foes and can cleave 3 targets

blazing assault- range 600, leap forward and strike 3 times in rapid succession

Burn ward- stand still and briefly block incoming attacks (1 second). Burn enemies whose attacks you successfully block (half a second burn per block)

Air
Gust gash- range 150, slash foes and can cleave 3 targets

Whirl wind- range 300, pulls enemies surrounding charcter in, Number of Targets: 3Combo Finisher: Whirl

Squall reprisal- stand still and briefly evade incoming attacks(1 second). Evading an attack grants access to a retaliatory flip attack.
Flip attack-Hit foe with an attack that always crits

Earth
Earth swipe- range 150, slash foes and can cleave 3 targets

Dust strike- range 200, strike a foe and cause 2 seconds of cripple

Spiked revenge- stand still and briefly block incoming attacks (1 second). Bleed enemies whose attacks you successfully block(half a second bleed per block)

Water
Slush wave- range 150, slash foes and can cleave 3 targets

Snow glave- range 600, send two projectile attacks

Ice block- stand still and briefly block incoming attacks (1 seconds). Chill enemies whose attacks you successfully block (half a second chill per block)

Utility- Stances
• Ether stance (Heal Skill)- heal for 3000, for 5 seconds heal 1000 each time damage is mitigated

• Stone stance– gain protection and resistance for 4 seconds

• Gale stance- gain swiftness and regeneration for 5 seconds

• Mist stance- Take no damage from attacks(can still be damage my conditions and impacted by crowd control) for 2 seconds then grant vigor for 5 seconds

• Flame stance- gain fury and might for 4 seconds

• Elemental stance (Elite Skill)- max out burst bars then make yourself invulnerable for 3 seconds

Traits (Minor)
• Swordsmanship- become an elemental duelist that can use a swords, stances, and elemental bursts

• Elemental parry- Gain aegis for 3 seconds when switching to an attunement

• One on one- critical attack damage increased 20% against foes hit by attacks that did not hit any other enemies

Traits (Adept)
• Blade training- While wielding a sword, your condition duration is increased 20%. Sword attacks cause 10% more damage if currently in a burst mode.

• Diamond defense-Blocks last .5 seconds longer, evades last .25 seconds longer, reflected projectiles travel faster

• Guarded revival-activate sword 3 ability of whatever trait you are in when you begin reviving a downed ally. You revive allies faster.

Traits (Master)
• Mounting mountain- Gain a stacking toughness effect and 2 seconds of might each time you mitigate an attack.

• Elemental break-Elemental bursts now only take 3 bars instead of 4 and entering into a mode grants 2 seconds of fury.

• Like the rain-Activates mist stance when you are dazed, knocked down, launched, pushed back, pulled, or stunned. Increase stance durations (25%) and gain regeneration (5 seconds) when using a stance.

Traits (Grandmaster)

• Unequal contest- Every time you crit on a single foe (no cleave or multi hit), transfer one of your conditions to that foe

• Elemental riposte-anytime an projectile is blocked reflect that projectile(5 second cooldown) and grant 2.5 seconds of retaliation

• Selfless sentinel-Anytime you change attunement give nearby allies a buff that allows you to absorb the next attack they would take would take for 5 seconds

(edited by King Kai.4516)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

I guess it’s cool, but a bit underpowered.

Flip Attack for air feels like it’s in the wrong attunement, especially given it yields crits. With Fresh Air, having a skill that always crits would’ve been better, except if it’s in air attunement that is. Maybe instead of a flip attack, there could be a blast that causes weakness and blind each time you block an attack with Squall Reprisal.

Remember that Elementalists have very low HP. The wards should be at least 3 seconds. 1 second is crazy low for a time.

Red-Hot Revival trait change: Activate the ward of the attunement you’re in, not just fire.

Elemental Surge: Change the name, it’s already a trait in Arcane.

Other than that, solid spec. Thank god it isn’t more CD for the burst modes.

in Elementalist

King Kai.4516

I guess it’s cool, but a bit underpowered.

Flip Attack for air feels like it’s in the wrong attunement, especially given it yields crits. With Fresh Air, having a skill that always crits would’ve been better, except if it’s in air attunement that is. Maybe instead of a flip attack, there could be a blast that causes weakness and blind each time you block an attack with Squall Reprisal.

Remember that Elementalists have very low HP. The wards should be at least 3 seconds. 1 second is crazy low for a time.

Red-Hot Revival trait change: Activate the ward of the attunement you’re in, not just fire.

Elemental Surge: Change the name, it’s already a trait in Arcane.

Other than that, solid spec. Thank god it isn’t more CD for the burst modes.

So are you saying the flip attack is too strong on air attunment? If so I would say it is still dependent on your opponent attacking into it.

I didn’t want to make a situation where a duelist can block for 12+ straight seconds which they could do if each one of the blocks is for 3 seconds and they just cycled through all their attunments, no other class can do that and it seems over powered. As it is now with the trait Diamond defense, a duelist can block for 6 seconds and they have aegis for a while.

As for the Red-Hot Revival trait change I was thinking of doing that but I didn’t have any current elementalist traits that did something similar. To hell with it I will go head and make your suggested change its not like this will be created in the actual game:
• Guarded revival-activate sword 3 ability of whatever trait you are in when you begin reviving a downed ally. You revive allies faster.
• Elemental break-Elemental bursts now only take 3 bars instead of 4 and entering into a mode grants 2 seconds of fury.

Thanks for the input!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

So you basically want to be invincible while holding the highest damaging skills in the game. Yep no thanks.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

So you basically want to be invincible while holding the highest damaging skills in the game. Yep no thanks.

You do realize that those who used to trash you while playing ele..now are trashing you playing another class? I don’t get all this salt against ele..you show up in every thread with a trolling comment but sorry…it’s the player that makes the class ^^

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

If I just look at stance… That’s the tempest’s shouts in a more selfish way…

The class mechanism favour the sword obviously but if you play with other weapons you’ll end up having a hard time in air and water which lack any “mitigation” skill while you’ll obviously overperform as soon as you play earth with a focus.

Weapon… well why not. Honestly weapon count for very little in any E-spec. You could say that it’s just another set of skill that’s here for the flavor. And your sword do that, so it’s ok. (I’d just change water#2 for a skill that lay down a water field)

Trait :
Elemental parry is OP, need at least 10s ICD
one on one, is to subjective since it’s only affected by ennemies.
Elemental contest need an ICD
Elemental ripost only don’t need on reflect and but 5s on retal
Selfless sentinel feel out of place on the elementalist.

I’d say that what irk me the most is still that there is no new flavor on this spec. It’s an elementalist nothing more nothing less.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

in Elementalist

King Kai.4516

If I just look at stance… That’s the tempest’s shouts in a more selfish way…

Compare these stances to the shouts and you will see they aren’t at all similar even disregarding the group aspect of shouts. Warrior stances are kind of basic like this, I already changed them as much as I could when I did a guardian elite spec called the crusader.

The class mechanism favour the sword obviously but if you play with other weapons you’ll end up having a hard time in air and water which lack any “mitigation” skill while you’ll obviously overperform as soon as you play earth with a focus.

Can’t do much about that. All I can say is if you want to tank in this spec treat it like staff is for druid, a bit mandatory. Although remember dodging still counts for mitigation.

Trait :
Elemental parry is OP, need at least 10s ICD
one on one, is to subjective since it’s only affected by ennemies.
Elemental contest need an ICD
Elemental ripost only don’t need on reflect and but 5s on retal
Selfless sentinel feel out of place on the elementalist.

If you have specific numbers I can add them. Selfless sentinel is my attempt at a single unselfish raid support trait in this selfish spec. If you have any other good ideas I will replace it.

I’d say that what irk me the most is still that there is no new flavor on this spec. It’s an elementalist nothing more nothing less.

I think this is an elementalist problem. Unless they get rid of attunment swapping every future elite spec can be said be be just an elementalist that does one other thing. The flavor is supposed to be alot more mitigation and single target damage, but if I got rid of attunments I can already see the complaints. From reading posts here no matter the future elite spec a many people will be unhappy.

Thanks for your input!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gwaihir.1745

Gwaihir.1745

Lol supreme checked your post history. You seem to be dead set that every other class must be terrible while ele maintains godmode. Don’t be a troll and just say so rather than hide it.

in Elementalist

King Kai.4516

Oh the irony lol

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion, often for the troll’s amusement.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oscuro.9720

oscuro.9720

FIRST: MAKE GLANCING BLOWS COUNT AS MITIGATION BUT APPLY HALF THE EFFECT

With ele starting at extremly low health and toughness, I think it would be cool to give the sword 250-300 range on auto attack. (may be considered OP though )

Attacks should give an elemental theme to your sword (like a flame slash for the flame AA, or an icy slash for water AA)

Weapon Skills:

Auto Attacks should be a 3 part chain with applying some sort of condition on the final hit (or final 2 hits).
Something like:

Fire AA 3: Burning Thrust: Finish with a thrust of your sword that causes a firey explosion —- range: 300, 5 targets, applies 2 stacks of burn
Air AA 3: Weakening Slam: Slam your sword down on your target, if you hit your target, cause an explosion that weakens enemies —- range: 150, explosion radius: 150, explosion targets: 5, applies weakness if it hits
Earth AA 3: Rocky Cleave: Cleave your enemy with an earth amplified sword —- range: 300, targets: 3, applies cripple
Water AA 3: Snow Burst: Thrust your sword unleashing a burst of snow on your enemy —- range 300, targets: 5, applies chill and 2 stacks of vulnerability to enemies

Burn Ward: Should be longer (2-3 seconds) and should do direct damage too (.25 or .5 sec icd per target)

Flip Attack: add a 600 range teleport to the skill (helps with mobility) or a daze (.5 sec) for interrupt

Dust Strike: Range increase to 300, add blind

Spiked revenge: End in an explosion that deals large damage and roots foes (radius 150 or 200)

Snow Glave: Adds blind or chill and maybe increase to 3 projectiles

Ice Block: increase duration (2-3 seconds) heal per attack evaded.

Utilities:
I personally favor mantras for a new Espec over Stances.

Traits:

Blade Training: Add Sword attacks apply weakness when in a burst mode

Selfless Sentinel is a little under-powered for a grand-master, unless you mean you absorb all of their attacks for 5 seconds. In which case, you would get rekt if you are trying to mitigate a burst.
I would make it something more like:
When swapping attunements, grant nearby allies a buff for 5 seconds that reduces incoming damage by 75% and transfers incoming conditions to yourself,

in Elementalist

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I love these fanmade specs! I would put some internal cooldowns to a lot of traits, and would remove some effects (Like the Rain).

All in all, looks a fun bunkering spec. Some percentages would have to be turned down.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

One on one- critical attack damage increased 20% against foes hit by attacks that did not hit any other enemies

I like the idea behind this trait. Numbers aside, but it affects gameplay and that’s what I appreciate.

Rest is debatable.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in Elementalist

King Kai.4516

Looks like instead of aegis they are going with a new mechanic called barrier. Weaver is more thought out then my idea above(makes sense since they have a whole team brainstorming). From what I hear they are going with stances so at least I got that right.