Elite spec idea the battlemage!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

In a nutshell a spec that lets you go 2handed sword, with some kind of magical armor buff while trading off some of your crazy ranged dps. This will give us an option for being so squishy not to mention offer an incredibly fun playstyle, I love hybrid melee/magic characters.

If necro can do it so can we.

Feel free to add ideas and get the technical stuff down, I dont have a ton of experience to offer any real substence beyond the looks and names of the abilities and armor.

in Elementalist

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

you can already go tanky melee btw

btw speaking of magical armor (which protection and frost aura arguably already are), I’d love to see GW2 get damage absorbtion shields

(edited by reikken.4961)

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

btw speaking of magical armor (which protection and frost aura arguably already are), I’d love to see GW2 get damage absorbtion shields

No they can’t they don’t have any real melee viability, they can kind of tank and um not talking about tanking anyways, and frost armor and etc doesn’t do enough to let you constantly stay in melee this is why in suggesting a magical armor.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

try going air/earth/tempest

this build is roughly 4 times tankier than a max dps build

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

try going air/earth/tempest

this build is roughly 4 times tankier than a max dps build

A necro could be manly before reaper as well but that doesn’t mean the builds are that viable or accepted right now, if they can release a real melee spec it can be done better where you can have the actual playstyle instead of half of one, actually making it worth investing into the spec itself.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

yeah. I’m just saying that you don’t need to wait. you can do it pretty well already if that’s something you want to do.

in Elementalist

Ryou.2398

yeah. I’m just saying that you don’t need to wait. you can do it pretty well already if that’s something you want to do.

Thank you for sharing that with me though, maybe I will try it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Loopgru.1026

Loopgru.1026

From your description you might enjoy what I’m running now. It’s mainly an overload-oriented FA build that uses LH as filler in the 5-6 seconds between overloads. 3rd tree varies- earth is great for solo PvE (high 40% protection uptime from both overloads and auras, 10% reduction in melee range, condi shed at full hp), fire is max DPS, and water is strong for PvP (tons of condi clear and regen).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You could already PBAoE support before the expansion hit yet we still got saddled with the tempest.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

yes. I’m not saying that rules out this elite idea

in Elementalist

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

I think a battlemage would make more sense using a sword (similar to Arcane Warrior in Dragon Age 1). This could synergize well with existing abilities and expand on them, creating an aura-centered tank character that could dive into melee and use Earth to become the unbreakable wall that a tank needs to be while still staying true to the elementalist spirit.

Yes I know Auramancer tanks can already do a lot of these things, but I think that a Battlemage Elite Spec would be a great way to expand on those items.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: lucadiro.4519

lucadiro.4519

Well to be honest I would prefere 10000x times a spec less tanky but more dynamic AND with more mobility.
I mean, I don’t want a spec with you can facetanking the damage coming and heal it back. There other option, take a look at revenant or thief (well not d/p ones that rely on stealth). With low cooldown blocks/evades skills you can still be melee but with a more dynamic and, in my opinion, fun gameplay.
I’m really tired to play a healbot/facetanking spec, so I would love may a 1hand sword with mobity skills/teleport/blocks/evades skill in it.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

Posted by: bearshaman.3421

bearshaman.3421

Yes I know Auramancer tanks can already do a lot of these things, but I think that a Battlemage Elite Spec would be a great way to expand on those items.

Except Auramancers typically require Tempest, and the elite specs will be exclusive of each other.

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

aura-centered

no more auras!

in Elementalist

UnbentMars.9126

aura-centered

no more auras!

Why not? It’s unique to ele’s and offers many opportunities for unique gameplay

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

aura-centered

no more auras!

For more passive gameplay you mean. That kind of passive gameplay that made tempest only good for be a boring healbot

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

UnbentMars.9126

aura-centered

no more auras!

For more passive gameplay you mean. That kind of passive gameplay that made tempest only good for be a boring healbot

Try a fresh air tempest. Nothing passive about that. Also, the problem with auras being passive is why I said a revisit of auras would be useful, which my suggested Elite Spec would allow

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

Tempest is already super aura focused. There’s so much more to ele than auras.

in Elementalist

UnbentMars.9126

Tempest is already super aura focused. There’s so much more to ele than auras.

Staff tempest and auramancer, yes. Dagger, scepter, warhorn? Not even a little bit of auras

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

dagger and warhorn dps specs use auras much more than staff dps spec. Dps staff tempest is the only build that doesn’t really use auras. Fresh air d/w gets 1.6 or 2.6 auras with every rotation. ie every 10 seconds. (not counting the proc on elemental bastion)

but anyway I’m talking about tempest itself.
4 out of 5 shouts are aura skills,
and there is an aura trait or two in all 3 slots, and then half of the rest of the traits are ones that synergize with other aura traits.
Tempest is an extremely aura focused spec.

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

aura-centered

no more auras!

Try a fresh air tempest. Nothing passive about that. Also, the problem with auras being passive is why I said a revisit of auras would be useful, which my suggested Elite Spec would allow

Man are you kidding me?
Auras are the most passive things in the game, and tempest (even fresh air tempest) is full of passive too since it is focused on auras.
I mean let’s see how much passive procs are from aura in a fresh air set-up:
- Aura effect is passive (stun, burning, chill, reflect)
- Regen+vigor proc from tempest trait line
- Heal proc from tempest trait line
- Protection proc from earth trait line
- Fury+swiftness from air trait line
And this only for the aura, other passive to mention in tempest fresh air build are:
-shocking aura, that is cancer
-passive breack stun on tempest trait line if you take it or aura gain from cast an overload
- condi cleans from shout if you take soldier runes
- protection + swiftness when you cast an overload
- diamond skin/Stone heart
- rebound is useless but full passive effect

Everything about tempest and auras are passive so please don’t tell me it isn’t.
You can also ask for an aura rework, but we all know it will need an effort that arenanet will never put on it.
It’s way better, healty for the game’s gameplay, ask for something totaly new to elementalist.

Parabrezza

in Elementalist

UnbentMars.9126

I’m not sure you know what a fresh air setup is, as no fresh air setup for damage uses earth. I don’t WvW so if you are talking about that you should specify, because I am talking about PvE.

Additionally, most fresh air builds skip the Aura-on-overload in favor of stability and protection, neither of which are auras. Frankly, the only aura I ever use as a fresh air tempest in any pve situation is from Feel the Burn and that’s only fire and must be triggered rather than being passive.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker

in Elementalist

reikken.4961

Additionally, most fresh air builds skip the Aura-on-overload in favor of stability and protection, neither of which are auras.

Aura on overload and stability are in different slots. You take both of them.
Protection on overload is a minor trait.

And because the dude above didn’t mention it in the (kind of faulty) list:
Every time fire/air/tempest fresh air swaps to fire, it gets a fire aura.

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

I’m not sure you know what a fresh air setup is, as no fresh air setup for damage uses earth. I don’t WvW so if you are talking about that you should specify, because I am talking about PvE.

Additionally, most fresh air builds skip the Aura-on-overload in favor of stability and protection, neither of which are auras. Frankly, the only aura I ever use as a fresh air tempest in any pve situation is from Feel the Burn and that’s only fire and must be triggered rather than being passive.

Lol… I was talking about pvp. You was talking about being tanky so I guess it was around pvp since there is no point at all to have an Ele tank in pve.

By the way nvm, my fault, I don’t care about pve since we are already top dps there and I enjoy d/wh FA

Parabrezza

(edited by lucadiro.4519)

in Elementalist

lucadiro.4519

Additionally, most fresh air builds skip the Aura-on-overload in favor of stability and protection, neither of which are auras.

Aura on overload and stability are in different slots. You take both of them.
Protection on overload is a minor trait.

And because the dude above didn’t mention it in the (kind of faulty) list:
Every time fire/air/tempest fresh air swaps to fire, it gets a fire aura.

Well I didn’t mentioned it since I was sure to talking about pvp, where you will never take fire trait line for a fresh air build.

Parabrezza