Engineer vs Elementalist?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Joshua.9346

Joshua.9346

I’m making this decision based on the balance design philosophy going forward.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-December-14-2012

Engineer

The Engineer is a highly versatile class. While it doesn’t have the long range capabilities of the Ranger, or the melee capabilities of the Warrior or Guardian, they are comfortable at medium ranges in most fights. They have a lot of control, and use their boons to keep themselves (and allies) alive in a fight. They can use different kits based on the situation, but this extreme versatility comes at a cost in damage on their main hand weapons.

VS

Ele

We see the elementalist as the king of versatility. The skill ceiling for the Ele is exceptional, as the ability to leverage all four attunements at the right time is crucial for understanding the elemetnalist. The Ele boasts some of the best team support and control abilities in the game, as well as some great area of effect damage.

So basically versatility is both their “thing”, except that ANet recognizes that Engi’s sacrifice damage for versatility whereas Ele’s have phenomenal AoE damage. So are they using the higher skill ceiling for Eles as a legit reasoning for making Engineers an inferior class??

in Elementalist

Posted by: Reveaux.5720

Reveaux.5720

I like to think of it this way.

Elementalists can choose between multiple builds which give them access to any role.
Engineers have access to multiple roles for one build.
(hope this makes sense)
Both are still versatile but in different ways.

in Elementalist

Posted by: SkeeLd.2164

SkeeLd.2164

So you’re saying that they can do in one build what we need multiple builds to accomplish?

I don’t get it ._.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Windwalker.2047

Windwalker.2047

What they arent saying that the elementalists sacrifice survivability (a lot) and high single target damage for all that versatility-we cant out-burst a thief or a warrior,don’t have the tankines of guardians mesmers or necros or the ability to swap from short range to long and vice versa.What we do have is a metric ton of skills,sweet aoe’s and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Your call.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Unfortunately, engineers have the lower survivability due to bugs with how engineers attract aggro. Once Anet fixes the (many) bugs the class has, they’ll have more survivability than elementalists. (Unless the elementalist is specced for survivability.)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rhinzual.7861

Rhinzual.7861

Engineers also lack versatility if they want to do a better job at filling a role. If they want awesome AOE? 30 points in Explosives for grenadier, which I think is what got grenades nerfed in the first place. Extra survivability when using Flamethrower? 30 points into Firearms for Juggernaut.

If Engineers want to be truly versatile, they end up denying themselves the more powerful traits that help make a kit/build shine. Basically, ANet has no idea what to do with Engineers aside from nerfing them and giving minor buffs as compensation, and the nerfs seem to be balanced around specific Grandmaster Traits.

So don’t go saying Engineers are versatile or able to put out crazy damage and still tank/CC, those kits eat up utility slots that could be used on something else. Not to mention the turrets go down faster than a man tied to a tree getting struck by a Volvo in hurricane-force winds.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Griaumedis.7236

Griaumedis.7236

I like to think of it this way.

Elementalists can choose between multiple builds which give them access to any role.
Engineers have access to multiple roles for one build.
(hope this makes sense)
Both are still versatile but in different ways.

Actually engineers need to spec heavily into one tree and have certain gear to make certains kits viable.

Basically, engineers can mimic any class to a certain extent, whereas elementalists can play as damage, support or control but in their own way.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

They’re both versatile, but where the engineer picks something before the fight starts, the elementalist basically makes their choice during the fight.

Which also means that if an engineer truly wants run cc, they will do it better than the elementalist. But that same engineer will heal less than that same elementalist. Etc.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

They’re both versatile, but where the engineer picks something before the fight starts, the elementalist basically makes their choice during the fight.

Basically, engineers can mimic any class to a certain extent, whereas elementalists can play as damage, support or control but in their own way.

Very well put descriptions of the profession. I felt the need to quote them.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

My first character was an ele, but I ended up leveling my engi First. In terms of support, I find that the ele has the ability to be constantly supportive, whereas when you’re really in trouble, the crate drop skill on the engineer can help keep a team alive or interrupt an attack. As Reveaux said, the elementalists play in their own way.

I’m specced to do a bit of everything with my engi- dual pistols, rocket turret (spreads the aggro), speed boost and boon elixir, complete condition removal and crate drop. It’s not a fantastic build, but it keeps me alive and on the move in PvE. She also gets tons of aggro, no matter what the scenario.
With engis, you pick a route and stick with it, lots of engis all specced for the different kits is a (rare) sight to behold. I don’t use kits as they take a ton of traits.
Oh and, no perma speed boost for general running is irritating. Why did I choose to attempt map completion with my engi?

On the other hand, I find with the elementalist, that I don’t want to put more than 20 points into each one as the final tier traits don’t seem that fantastic. You can do a lot, no matter what weapon you’ve got and It’s easier to change play style in a fight.

In short, if it’s just you and an ele eyeing up a champion, you know what the ele can offer as a partner no matter what the build, but an engineer is more of a wild card depending on play style. Engis need something to make them shine and it’s not kits.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolf Fivousix.4319

Wolf Fivousix.4319

I didn’t played engineer yet (will probably do it last for the 8 classes), but I’ve fought many in sPvP and grouped with as many for almost all the dungeons. I can assure you that Engineer’s can survive better than an Elementalist if he needs to(probably there’s a specific build for holding points in sPvP), they have tons of CC’s AND varied utilities (running, supporting, etc), BUT they don’t have AoE’s as we do and their skills effects aren’t awesome as ours =D.

But in terms of dmg/survivability/support they can do as good as Elementalists, just …. a little bit different.

// Dragonbrand
Wolf Fivousix – Elementalist
Black Wolf Trading Tool