"Eye of the Storm" in WvW Zerging

in Elementalist

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Q:

Was in WvW last night, rolling in a good Zerg group. The commander asked Tempests in the team to slot “Eye of the Storm”:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Eye_of_the_Storm!%22

I’ve never used this skill since it seems weak compared to the other shouts which grant an aura (900 heal, 1000 regen, protection, vigor, and aura effect).

I tried to find some opportunities to use it — best one was a surprise jump down onto another zerg where the super-speed helped us to run thru the tail to towards the head, mowing down our foes.

Other than that, not sure it provided much use. Maybe I’m not recognizing the proper scenarios to use the shout?

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Elementalist

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

A:

I can answer this question. Eye of the storm can be used to help your party get out of damage, however it is primarily used by the frontine to roll over the opposing players. Essentially the goal is to catch the enemy and make it so they can’t get out of damage by running over them.

Bad Elementalist

in Elementalist

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

It’s a stun breaker, as far as I know one of the only stun breakers that affects yourself and allies. I personally don’t use it as it’s rather situational

in Elementalist

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Yeah but can you really time a group stun-break with any efficiency? Do you pop it when two people are stunned? How about three people? That’s assuming you have the ability to quickly determine that your party is stunned, and how many exactly.

In addition, when zerging we have a stability rotation which reduces the importance of group stun-break. So the group stun-break part seems like a superfluous, and mostly useless addon to this skill.

Also the commander specifically mentioned “the skill with superspeed” when asking the Tempests to slot it (instead of calling it by “Eye of the Storm”). So maybe we can list the scenarios where 5s of group superspeed should be used while WvW zerging

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Elementalist

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I like EOTS. Zero cast time skills have their own value.

It’s not too hard to use. Typically if you get stunned in a big fight, someone else is stunned too if you’re following anyone with any degree of consistency. Let’s say you got stuck in a static field. It’s very likely it’s also caught whoever else is next to you. You don’t need to know who exactly is around you. So you hit it and can continue, maybe dodge.

And while stability is provided by guardians most of the time, it’s still a good backup in case kitten happens or gets corrupted or w/e.

The superspeed is obviously more useful as it allows you to pursue enemies while in combat as well as just being able to get out of the way of any things that would smash you in the next 2 seconds.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

EOTS has use for superspeed on golems too

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

in Elementalist

Posted by: cgMatt.5162

cgMatt.5162

Slot it as a utility and as a trait. The trait will trigger when you get CC’d even if you have stability, Aegis, Arcane Shield, or Mist Form. Eye of the Storm x2 for 10 seconds of super speed.