Fire aura + other aura ideas.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rocketmist.5436

Rocketmist.5436

I really enjoy auras and I think they are the fun defensive part to ele’s. I think there’s a lot of skill in knowing when to use which one’s as well. Frost aura is great for kiting people around or disengaging or just for the -10% dmg in a heated fight, lightning aura is great for warriors/thieves in your face, magnetic aura is great to counter those rangers sniping away or any other dangerous projectile incoming. Here are some of my thoughts for some fun and my opinion needed changes.

Lightning Aura

I like the lightning aura a lot and think it might be the best one. It is one of the few ways ele’s an interrupt a target and with the new GM trait for air I think its pretty well valued. One thing I think should be done is take tempest defence which gives lightning aura when disabled and +20% dmg vs disabled targets and move it down to master tier and remove the +20% dmg vs disabled targets from the trait. This way it would be possible for more builds to counter hammers/thieves without having to give up fresh air, and it also adds synergy with the new GM trait. I like the aura a lot and don’t think it needs changes, it makes a real impact in a fight.

Fire Aura

A lot of people think fire aura is the weakest of the three auras. A 1s base burn is pretty meh, and 1 stack of might isn’t really doing much. I suggest we make the base burn 1.5 seconds or maybe even 2 seconds, and remove the 1 stack of might and add a 1s retaliation boon on hit. Auras are supposed to be defensive so the 1 stack of might has always been the out of place part of auras, retal is defensive so it makes more sense.
This would clear up some of the complaints about the focus fire skills being super terrible. Also this will also make the fire traitline slightly better with fire’s embrace, as everyone basically agrees the fire traitline is the worst and needs improvement.

Frost Aura

I want there to be a way to get all the auras just through trait lines to make them really more a part of the elementalist’s build in general. My suggestion for a trait would be a master level one in water:
Ice Front: When chilling an opponent, you gain frost aura for 5s, icd 40s, chill lasts 20% less duration on you.
This trait would add the aura into the trait line and also give elementalist’s some more resistance against chill because it really messes up our attunement swap times making chill way more deadly to us than other classes. It will also buff the terrible focus 4 skill in water and also makes signet of water’s active better. These single target chills we had before were super terrible and some synergy with them might make them more usable.

Magnetic aura

Magnetic aura is a little different than the other auras in the fact that it is more of a hard counter play against people using projectiles. I’m fairly against long hard counters and focus has a 3s reflect already and staff already has the 5s reflect, I don’t think even more hard counter-ness is needed. That being said I think it could be rework in somehow. Here’s my suggestion.

The 5 trait on earth is enduring damage and basically says your damage is +10% if your endurance is full. This promotes unskilled play because it says you shouldn’t dodge your opponents attacks which is a big part of the skill in this game. Also the earth traitline is the condition traitline, it doesn’t make sense for a +damage skill to be the 5 everyone has to take. Overall I hate this trait a ton and think this would be a good spot to add magnetic aura into the traitlines. Gain magnetic aura for 3s upon reaching 50% health, could be as simple as that.

Anywho, thanks for reading my aura ideas, aura share can still be just with weapon skills im fine with that as a side note, would be OP if you could spread all the auras out, but I think it would be cool to place some of the auras in reachable places in the 4-5 spots in the trait tree.

[TL] Guild Leader, Sea of Sorrows, SoS Council

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

i dont rly see how the earth trait is unskilled play, if u dont dodge a must dodge skill u die, if u do dodge it , its not like u dodge away from enemy, u can dodge to ur enemy and the trait is useful, or are u playing fro 1200 range with staff?

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

Rocketmist.5436

Nah, I normally play with scepter so thats 900 range. I just think there is probably a blanket statement that is somewhat true “a skill rewards not dodging requires less skill to play”.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

Nah, I normally play with scepter so thats 900 range. I just think there is probably a blanket statement that is somewhat true “a skill rewards not dodging requires less skill to play”.

well if an enemy doesnt stop atking into ur reflects thats not skilled played and therefor he shouldnt get rewarded

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Actually, I think I’d rather have a short blind on the fire aura. Would make it fit with the rest as a defensive option.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

If they removed the internal cd from fire aura it would be prefect. Atm it goes on cd once you are attack making any attack from multiple enemies not take the effect. Fire aura should give you the possiblity of giving max stacks of might when under pressure, not just 3-4 might and 4s of burning on one target.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

in Elementalist

Rocketmist.5436

Actually, I think I’d rather have a short blind on the fire aura. Would make it fit with the rest as a defensive option.

I’d agree a short blind would make sense, if blinding ashes GM trait in the fire traitline didn’t already exist. That would create a huge negative synergy with that GM trait and fire aura.

in Elementalist

Lostwingman.5034

I’d agree a short blind would make sense, if blinding ashes GM trait in the fire traitline didn’t already exist. That would create a huge negative synergy with that GM trait and fire aura.

How so? If you took away the burn of the fire aura and made it a blind it would work with it more.

in Elementalist

Rocketmist.5436

Ah okie, so just have a blind on the aura and nothing else?

in Elementalist

Lostwingman.5034

Ah okie, so just have a blind on the aura and nothing else?

It would fit with the others. Shocking Aura stuns, Frost Aura chills, and Magnetic Aura reflects. Fire Shield is the only one that is offensive.

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

Okay, so I like your idea for Shocking Aura, since we’re kinda lacking in decent rupts for that new Air GM... maybe move up the Glyph trait and give it some actual functionality (AoE pair of boons or something when you cast a glyph? Nobody would be taking it until other Glyph traits were added anyway ;p ).

For Frost Aura... it’s effectively already accessible to Staff, with a blast finisher + ice field (also those summoning Ice Elementals but they’re... less reliable). I don’t think it needs much more accessibility, being on two weaponsets already.
I really do like running auramancy traits and blasting ice field on a stacked group - can get very high protection/swiftness/fury uptime and still maintain high might stacks, and don’t need to take Powerful Aura for it!

Fire Shield: yes! A blind, or that retal, would be pretty nice - we have enough access to burning, and plenty of ways to gain might, but relatively few useful defensive options related to fire.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sagat.3285

Sagat.3285

Fire Shield: yes! A blind, or that retal, would be pretty nice – we have enough access to burning, and plenty of ways to gain might, but relatively few useful defensive options related to fire.

So other classes shouldn’t have access to burn and might aura just because ele has enough? It’s good seeing people seeing people care about aura but at least keep an eye on all the classes that can gain fire aura instead ele especially in party when ele shares a fire aura when I’m using condi necro it’s great in www.

Why not had more lighting fields maybe on engi.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
The Dhuumfire thread

in Elementalist

Lostwingman.5034

Fire Shield: yes! A blind, or that retal, would be pretty nice – we have enough access to burning, and plenty of ways to gain might, but relatively few useful defensive options related to fire.

So other classes shouldn’t have access to burn and might aura just because ele has enough? It’s good seeing people seeing people care about aura but at least keep an eye on all the classes that can gain fire aura instead ele especially in party when ele shares a fire aura when I’m using condi necro it’s great in www.

Maybe a defined ele class skill type shouldn’t be a combo result as well then?

in Elementalist

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

Fire Shield: yes! A blind, or that retal, would be pretty nice - we have enough access to burning, and plenty of ways to gain might, but relatively few useful defensive options related to fire.

Maybe a defined ele class skill type shouldn’t be a combo result as well then?

Anyone with an Ethereal field and a Leap or Blast finisher can get Chaos Armor... but that’s a Mesmer effect, not a general effect that Mesmers just happen to have good access to (including a weapon skill).

Other classes can create Ele auras with combos, sure, but that doesn’t mean the auras themselves shouldn’t be based around what’s good for Ele (while making sure they don’t get OP in the hands of others). The Fire Shield really does stick out as the only offensive aura, and it really would be nice to have some defense on the Focus’ fire attunement (or maybe even properly defensive signet builds with that Fire IX trait!).

To obtain a Fire Sheild without an Ele present, you need a fire field and a leap finisher. The only classes that don’t have the field but do have the finisher are Mesmer and Thief - and neither of these has a lot of access to burning. The rest (Guard, War, Engi, Ranger) can apply ample burning themselves.

As the only way for a Necro to reasonably get a Fire Shield is through an auramancy Ele... I don’t see the access to either might or burning as all that relevant.
The Ele should be able to stack hefty amounts of AoE might anyway, and while the extra damage applied by a condi-spec’s burning is significant compared to non-condi-spec, it’s pretty likely to get overwritten by other folks’ conditions if you’re in a party all sporting these auras?

(edited by cheese.4739)

in Elementalist

Lostwingman.5034

It takes up a weapon skill slot for ele, either it gets fixed to better suit the ele set or the weapon skill should change.

in Elementalist

Posted by: leebe.2093

leebe.2093

would be nice if auras absorbed 50% damage

in Elementalist

Posted by: Reokie.7809

Reokie.7809

The 5 trait on earth is enduring damage and basically says your damage is +10% if your endurance is full. This promotes unskilled play because it says you shouldn’t dodge your opponents attacks which is a big part of the skill in this game.

What? Eles have plenty of access to Vigor and with sigils such as Superior Sigil of Energy you should be topped off most of the time. In PvP I find that I swap attunements so much that I never have to worry about running out of endurance.

Gaaxi 80 D/F Ele

(edited by Reokie.7809)

in Elementalist

Lostwingman.5034

The 5 trait on earth is enduring damage and basically says your damage is +10% if your endurance is full. This promotes unskilled play because it says you shouldn’t dodge your opponents attacks which is a big part of the skill in this game.

What? Eles have plenty of access to Vigor and with sigils such as Superior Sigil of Energy you should be topped off most of the time. In PvP I find that I swap attunements so much that I never have to worry about running out of endurance.

I think the problem is that ele’s in general dodge so often that the amount of time that endurance is full isn’t that much.