Fresh Air burst build for pvp

in Elementalist

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Scepter/ Dagger

• Sigil of Fire and Accuracy
  • Runes of Scholar/ Divinity

Signet of Restoration, Arcane Blast, Arcane Wave, Signet of Air, Glyph of Elementals
(You can also use Lightning Flash over one of the arcane utilities for several neat tricks).
0-30-0-20-10 (free 10 points)

• Bolt to the Heart, Air Training, Fresh Air
  • Vital Striking, Cleansing Wave
  • Elemental Attunement
  • (20 in arcane for Arcane traits, or 10 earth for Stone Splinters or Obsidian Focus)

Valkyrie Amulet + Berzerker Jewel

You’ll be able to roam maps fast with signet of air. Stay on earth and maintain Rock Barrier. Once in battle, use Hurl before switching to air, to get the 2s fury from the arcane’s minor trait. Use all your instant air skills, arcanes, activating sigil of fire. This is the typical air burst commonly seen in top pvp meta. Then, switch to whatever attunement you think is best (if you don’t need healing, the new phoenix is really strong), and the moment you make your next critical hit, prepare to switch back to air again, for skill 2, 3, electric discharge and sigil of fire again. Use air 1 while finishing or chasing your foes.

You’ll kill faster than the old valkyrie burst skills, and roam inbetween points faster.

edit You can also go for a Triple Arcane setup with Arcane Shield and the trait Arcane Mastery (20 points in arcana). You’ll have less mobility outside of combat, but the amount of swiftness you can stack in a battle can situationally compensate for it. You’ll get more reliable defense, even more damage, and become more effective at rezzing or stomping.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

I am too broke and cheap to test it out for WvW but can someone test it out for WvW, so i can copy and turn it into my own?

i want a roaming build and your point distribution is similar to my current s/d and staff (when in zerg V zerg fight).

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

All that can miss by one dodge and so many things on cooldown. While other classes do that damage on one ability with better stats, defensive skills and mobility.

Just sayin.

Good build tho, will probably try in tPvP

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

Most of the burst skills are under kitten cooldown. A single dodge can evade all that, yes, but you’re not forced to use it all at once. :P Besides, after an earthquake, it can be pretty fatal.

Also, you have good healing, protection on earth, extra toughness, etc. It’s defense is enough for a build that can burst very fast. Otherwise, it’s kill or be killed.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I’ve been trying out fresh air with s/d and honestly I hate it. I’d rather just take 20% air skills cooldown and +10% air damage, since it is way to unreliable hoping for a crit without using an arcane skill. Not to mention half the time air recharges all the skills are on cooldown anyways.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Elementalist

Posted by: nothing.7941

nothing.7941

Not to mention half the time air recharges all the skills are on cooldown anyways.

Exactly why I was a little underwhelmed when I read about this new trait.

Martin Firestorm, Borlis Pass
Gaile Gray wrote:
Oh wait, read Martin Firestorm, he says it better…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

I’ve been trying out fresh air with s/d and honestly I hate it. I’d rather just take 20% air skills cooldown and +10% air damage, since it is way to unreliable hoping for a crit without using an arcane skill. Not to mention half the time air recharges all the skills are on cooldown anyways.

Was expecting this reaction, reason why I suggested people not to get overly excited with threads like :" OP air burst ele incoming", don’t take me wrong , the new GM trait remain really a great choice for burst ele…but it’s nothing OP as some believed it’d be..thx god it’s not!

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

Air #1 should give you all the criticals you need. It also happens to be one of the best ranged auto-attacks in the game (for pvp). Just stick to it until the animation ends, unless you need to do something else. The air skills should also recharge by the time you make your fire sequence or something. Really, it’s a 5 second sigil, a 5 second #2 and the #15 air trait. It’s a reliable burst sequence once you get used to its rhythm.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

Air #1 should give you all the criticals you need. It also happens to be one of the best ranged auto-attacks in the game (for pvp). Just stick to it until the animation ends, unless you need to do something else. The air skills should also recharge by the time you make your fire sequence or something. Really, it’s a 5 second sigil, a 5 second #2 and the #15 air trait. It’s a reliable burst sequence once you get used to its rhythm.

Question:
I’m completely in love with the +5% crit chance sigil on OH dagger, is the dmg from fire sigil really that game changing? Last I used it I didn’t remain overly impressed, overall I believe a reduction in crit chance would reduce your overall dmg, don’t you agree?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

Air #1 should give you all the criticals you need.

If you’re in air when you crit Fresh Air can’t recharge air attunement because it isn’t on cooldown…

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ptolomy.6984

Ptolomy.6984

About the cooldown thing I just think its just a matter of getting used to the trait. Id say give it some time:P

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

Yeah the sequence come down pretty fast, still need to get used to the new phoenix, it’s amazingly fast ^^

in Elementalist

Ptolomy.6984

Yeah when I was doing the new dungeon I thought a mob threw a projectile at me but it was just the buffed phoenix. Now we actually have a chance to hit some distant targets with a triple hitting unblockable skill.

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

@Arheundel,

It is worth about 500-1000 extra damage (not sure about the exact numbers) every five seconds. So in five seconds, that’s twice that number. It’s worth it as much as lightning strike, or electric discharge are worth: their numbers are individually weak, but they all add up. Also, sigil of fire’s effect is instant, and can be affected by traits (+10% while in air, +20% damage to opponents with less than 33%, +10% while health is above 90%).

To keep in mind too, one of the most important traits in this build, and that people often overlook, is arcana’s minor trait that gives 2s of fury for attunement change. Because your air burst is mostly instant, you’ll be able to fully benefit from it. Also, sigil of fire can’t crit, and the arcanes auto-crit, so critical chance is not the most important thing for this build (unlike, say, critical damage). Generally, you should get 45%+ critical (with fury on) and that’s a good number.

EDIT: You can always go for a berserker gear over valkyrie, but you will lose a great deal of survival (healing + toughness). There’s little to no margin for error with a berserker gear imo, and one of the advantages of fresh air, is that it makes its burst sequence more sustainable/ repeatable, so you’ll want to survive.

@Aether McLoud,

Because of the above strategy with fury on attunement swap, arc lightning is an excellent skill to maintain the channel after you make your burst and leave out of air, and sometimes you’ll even have to do it for the water heal or the earth protection. While in fire, phoenix hits several times, so it has a good change to activate the trait, too. Generally, Earth -> Air -> Fire -> Air is a reliable burst sequence.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

As expected, finally more eles are starting to realize the effectiveness of a bursts build but many of you will give up on it because it is not as easy as d/d bunker/healer build. One or more mistakes actually have its consequences but you’ll become better because of those mistakes if you stick with it.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Ptolomy.6984

Funny thing is I haven’t seen anyone mention the swiftness you can repeatedly get using fresh air. so its like a stealth in combat mobility buff. Coz i don’t think i am making a huge mistake by saying that almost every ele uses elemental attunement.

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

It’s actually not that hard to play once you get used to it, because of how many instant damage skills you have. But it’s also a build that demands you to know how to play with the scepter: fire is a strong (but unreliable) way to finish your opponent, and many people make the mistake to think that this is your main damage dealing attunement for this build – it’s not, it’s just a bonus. Water’s healing effects and earth’s defensive effects must be valued. Traits like elemental attunement (especially protection on earth) or water’s #15 can be vital to your survival, and this applies to any other glass cannon build you will want to make for an elementalist.

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

Funny thing is I haven’t seen anyone mention the swiftness you can repeatedly get using fresh air. so its like a stealth in combat mobility buff. Coz i don’t think i am making a huge mistake by saying that almost every ele uses elemental attunement.

Yep the swiftness is helpful as well and you are correct on that almost statement. 2 out of my 4 bursts builds I constantly switch to have 0 in arcana.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

I’m in love with fresh air (0/30/0/20/20 atm, with berserker amulet waiting to test it in tournaments), it really smoothens S/D gameplay imo.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

It’s actually not that hard to play once you get used to it, because of how many instant damage skills you have. But it’s also a build that demands you from mastering your other attunements: fire is a strong (but unreliable) way to finish your opponent, and water’s healing effects and earth’s defensive effects must be valued. Traits like elemental attunement (especially protection on earth) or water’s #15 can be vital to your survival, and this applies to any other glass cannon build you will want to make for an elementalist.

Exactly you said it, once you get used to it", everything is easy and only other skillful players will give you a challenge on 1v1 or 1v2. yet you’ll still be victorious must of the time. But i know the difficulty it is at first coming from d/d wep set and play as effectively with a new wep set and build that is so different from the one many are accustomed to. Plus there is no need to be glass cannon as ele to do major bursts specially now with the new air traits that I am completely sure they will get nerfed on the upcoming patches.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

If you’re in air when you crit Fresh Air can’t recharge air attunement because it isn’t on cooldown…

It still does actually. Since Fresh Air came out earlier today, about half of my incombat shifts out of air result in air having no cooldown. You can literally start a fight in earth, Earth1 >Air1-2-3>Water>Air1-2>Fire>Air1-2-3.

I suppose whats happening is that Arc Lightning continuing to channel while swapping to the next attunement is causing a crit that resets Air during the global attunement cooldown. Or… the trait is broken.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Elementalist

Raven.9603

I am too broke and cheap to test it out for WvW but can someone test it out for WvW, so i can copy and turn it into my own?

i want a roaming build and your point distribution is similar to my current s/d and staff (when in zerg V zerg fight).

I’ve been running this, which is pretty similar to what the OP came up with on his own. you’re looking at:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQJArYhEmIbzR5wjEAEFoYyoQGiHW4QElCzA-j0yAoLhQyCAlBhKAm9gSfEZsVsioxqdwUlCp6yI7NKiWtQAjWAA-w
-2.8k armor (includes rock barrier and obsidian focus)
-2.9k power (before might)
-42% crit (before fury)
-91% crit dmg
-17.2k hp

I took sigil of fire over air for tags (im a bag ho). Runes of Air for perma swiftness. It does about ~9k on the opening burst, no exaggeration (Electric discharge 2k, Lightning Strike 2.5-4k, Arcane Blast 2.5k, Sigil of Fire proc 1k).

from my experiences today, It’s not enough to global anyone, especially a tougher target. but factor in that you are doing 4.5-6k every couple seconds after with air swaps alone though, and its pretty competitive.

• It’s more than good for zerging.
  • Its probably not as good as D/D-healers for roaming 1vX (lack of cleave and sustain).
  • 1v1 its probably better, air1 and earth1 will track through stealth, fights are shorter than D/D in just about every case.

If you want to be the next famous Lithel S/D glass cannon walking around 3 shotting people, you are going to need to give up survivability for scholar runes and 120% crit damage, and probably piercing shards / lingering elements.

Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Im using a 0/30/0/30/10 S/D burst build in dungeons since the patch and it is awesome. It really smoothens out the play of S/D as you can now have perma fury and the 25 stacks of might.

I’ll need to hop into WvW to test it out, but i expect with the combo of hurl + air swap + lightning strike + arcane blast to do some 10k, maybe a bit more damage. I mean pre patch with a different build with less pwer/crit damage i was seeing 4k Lightning Strikes and 2-3k Electric Discharges, so this will be a great build to put pressure on targets with the constant swapping to air + lightning strike and other burst combos with the new improved phoenix will be deadly.

The Fresh Air procs pretty much on cooldown so long as you keep hitting stuff and the huge boost in swiftness and fury (something S/D had a bit of trouble keeping up) helps sooooo much. This is a pretty good boost for the S/D ele build.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Air#1 continues to channel when you leave Air… Pressing 1 and switching always gives me a Fresh Air proc. So you’re basically burning attune switches for lightning strikes. I like that it’s still tactical and not a nobrainer/use on every cd ability.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

Also keep in mind Fresh air doesn’t have cd atm (there’s no 5 secs cd) so that should be fixed soon and I know this because I crit on every attack.. as soon as I change, my first attack on another attunement keeps bringing back air att. It’s broken.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Also keep in mind Fresh air doesn’t have cd atm (there’s no 5 secs cd) so that should be fixed soon and I know this because I crit on every attack.. as soon as I change, my first attack on another attunement keeps bringing back air att. It’s broken.

I dunno, I mean the swaps for me are happening 1 second before my LS comes off cooldown, so I don’t see it. But this new trait makes putting pressure on targets a whole lot easier with those swaps.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I like evasive arcana too much to take fresh air.

Obsidian focus, on the other hand…. I’ve got 1550 toughness with Cavalier accessories. Stone barrier makes that about 1850, and add to that 400 from obsidian focus? That’s 2250 toughness while channeling. If I take signet of earth because it helps me land dragon tooths (I normally run mist form, sig of earth, arcane missile), that means I’m getting 2430 toughness while channeling.

2430 toughness channeling on a build with 70% crit damage and 1900 power and 40% crit chance with maintainance oil without fury. And 16k HP.

That’s more toughness than my BM bunker ranger and a whole lot more burst/damage as well!

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

I dunno, I mean the swaps for me are happening 1 second before my LS comes off cooldown, so I don’t see it. But this new trait makes putting pressure on targets a whole lot easier with those swaps.

It is. Whenever i swap lets say from air to fire and use fire 4, the air att becomes active as soon as I hit my opponent and when I switch I still have my air skill 2 on 3 secs cd. It never goes close to even 3 secs cd.

(edited by LightningBlaze.4913)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I think no one mentioned it because it was already easily maintainable for those using zephyr’s boon, but yeah that is pretty nice.
As for the skills on cd thing, the way I see it Fresh Air basically allows you to fight while always in air attunement, but being able to swap out quickly to use other attunement skills. So it’s kind of nice for three reasons.
1. You’re spamming electric discharge a lot more often.
2. Air scepter and dagger have some pretty nice auto attacks for direct damage.
Lightning strike on air scepter also has a 5 sec recharge, so it lines up well with this for sustained single target damage if you choose not to stay in air attunement.
3. Lots of swapping= swiftness and fury, maybe enough to replace zephyr’s boon?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asurmir.7956

Asurmir.7956

I think no one mentioned it because it was already easily maintainable for those using zephyr’s boon, but yeah that is pretty nice.
As for the skills on cd thing, the way I see it Fresh Air basically allows you to fight while always in air attunement, but being able to swap out quickly to use other attunement skills. So it’s kind of nice for three reasons.
1. You’re spamming electric discharge a lot more often.
2. Air scepter and dagger have some pretty nice auto attacks for direct damage.
Lightning strike on air scepter also has a 5 sec recharge, so it lines up well with this for sustained single target damage if you choose not to stay in air attunement.
3. Lots of swapping= swiftness and fury, maybe enough to replace zephyr’s boon?

3. It is enough to replace zephyr’s boon

Asurmir “The Heretic” Ravenclaw
http://tinyurl.com/oaxdkgt

in Elementalist

Posted by: Razor.6392

Razor.6392

There is a cooldown.

As soon as you crit in another attunement, air will become available again instantly. But if you try to do it again within those 5 seconds it won’t be available.

1. air
2. switch to fire and crit
3. air becomes available
4. switch to air and burst
5. switch out again to earth this time and crit
6. air is in cooldown for another 2 seconds or so

The first refresh will be instant, but no more refreshes will be possible until the 5s ICD is done.

Level 60 pvp
Ele & thief main (full ascended)
Down with the braindead faceroll classes.

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

There is a cooldown.

As soon as you crit in another attunement, air will become available again instantly. But if you try to do it again within those 5 seconds it won’t be available.

1. air
3. air becomes available

The first refresh will be instant, but no more refreshes will be possible until the 5s ICD is done.

Not at all , i just killed an opponent that was trying to escaped just by casting air 1 skill then switch to earth back to air, change to fire and then air again while the chain was still running. There is no cd. You are probably not doing crit with your first atk when you switch to another att while i do or not hitting your opponent fast enough. The trait is either broken or the description is wrong or both.

(edited by LightningBlaze.4913)

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

There is a cooldown.

1. air
3. air becomes available

Not at all , i just killed an opponent that was trying to escaped just by casting air 1 skill then switch to earth back to air, change to fire and then air again while the chain was still running. There is no cd. You are probably not doing crit with your first atk when you switch to another att while i do or not hitting your opponent fast enough. The trait is either broken or the description is wrong or both.

The trait is broken and will eventually fixed soon

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

I’ve just thought about a triple arcane version, and it should work great. With 20 in arcana line for arcane mastery, you can burst more often with your arcanes, and arcane shield is better than mist form for this build. Just think about it: arcane shield is a stun breaker, you can rez or stomp with it like mist form (although not as effectively), it will get its cooldown decreased by 20%, and it still helps you dealing more damage. I’ve tested it against my thief friend, and it’s excellent at helping me wrecking his HP pool.

The triple arcane version is easier to use, and strong for duels.

Meanwhile, I’d say Lightning Flash can be a strong adittion to my original build, over one of the arcanes, and with earth’s trait to deal 10% more damage within range. Have yet test it, but in theory, it brings a looot to the table. Good damage (not sure how much compared to arcanes, yet), good combo with churning earth (among other skills), good to chase targets, good to point holding, and it can work like a second – and sometimes superior – anti-burst skill compared to signet of air. Besides, you can still burst your target while disabled (not sure about daze, though).

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

Yeah, pretty much the builds I first put into use. 0/30/10/20/10 and 0/30/0/20/20. Valkyrie w. berserker jewel, divinity runes etc.

Let’s see how well the S/D aeromancer works once the meta settles..

I would not recommend using all the utilities OP picked, as you will find yourself in trouble against condition builds, and we know there are more nasty conditions on the market after the patch. Adding Cleansing Fire Instead of Signet of Air feels like a must.
And instead of Signet of Restoration, I would recommend any other heal, as it only really shines with cleric’s gear and D/D. Yes, there are some slow channeled skills when using S/D, not producing much healing. I prefer G.o.e.H if I have access to enough condition cleanses, if not, then Ether Renewal.

Speaking of the traits, I wouldn’t use Vital Striking, unless you are using staff in WvW. Your range isn’t sufficient enough, to benefit much from it. You can basically lose the benefits in one hit. There are plenty of traits to pick that benefits you more. Aquamancer’s Alacrity, Soothing Disruption (if you primarily use Cantrips) for much needed vigor and regen (and since LF and CF is on a lower CD, you benefit even more from it) etc.

Regarding the CD on Fresh Air, I think it kicks in the way EA does. The CD doesn’t apply if you change to new attunements for the first time, once you enter combat. You can dodge and achieve the EA effects of all attunements within ten seconds, if you have Sigil of Energy and vigor running.

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

Vital Striking (and runes of the scholar) can be pretty strong depending on how you play, as you can set up most of your burst before an opponent even hits you. It really shines whenever you caught your target off-guard, either when you are chasing them, or joining an already on-going fight, or assaulting a point.

About condition removal, you can remove three of them, which is half-decent depending on the situation. Ether Renewal would be better than Cleansing Fire, because you won’t have enough utility space for it, inbetween your instant damage utilities and your stun breakers.

But Signet of Restoration does work very well in this build. Even though arc lighting is long, it still shines with all the instant skills you have, plus anything you need to do in other attunements. In the end, you’re gaining plenty of healing without dedicating time to cast it, which allows you to keep pressuring your opponent.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

There is a cooldown.

1. air
3. air becomes available

I spec’d 30/30/0/0/10 to play with the new stuff just in orr and noticed that if I switched from air to fire, air was recharged because of Sunspot even if it didn’t hit anything. I’m thinking the game recognizes a crit even if it misses.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Avead.5760

Avead.5760

There is a cooldown.

1. air
3. air becomes available

Are you sure?I dont have access to gw2 but the icd is NOT supposed to start after you leave air..Its supposed to happen after you refresh air by critting.So if you are in air and then go to water for example while casting air 1 ,then if it rits it should refresh air immediately..So even you switch to air immediately after each refresh the global att cd that happens both when switching to air and when switching out of it will give the impression that air is always up cause the trait is bugged.
Cna anyone confirm that?
Actually the post you repllied says he went to earth then air then fire and then air in a whole air chain??:S Thats immpossible since air 1 in sceptr lasts 3.5 sec and he did 4 switches each one of them triggering global cooldown 4 times for 1.25 sec each at minimum. Actually from the first earth switch and air refresh till the next refresh its quite possible that 5 sec were passed

(edited by Avead.5760)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Aether McLoud.1975

Aether McLoud.1975

As expected, finally more eles are starting to realize the effectiveness of a bursts build but many of you will give up on it because it is not as easy as d/d bunker/healer build. One or more mistakes actually have its consequences but you’ll become better because of those mistakes if you stick with it.

Of course. Eles should pay for every single minor mistake with a swift death. Mesmers and Thieves on the other sides can play braindead and just stealth if things go south. And rangers just run away with their insane mobility.

But not eles. Eles should die whenever they blink. Eles shouldn’t be able to get away they should die like a kitten.

[/sarcarm]

in Elementalist

Raven.9603

Of course. Eles should pay for every single minor mistake with a swift death. Mesmers and Thieves on the other sides can play braindead and just stealth if things go south. And rangers just run away with their insane mobility.

But not eles. Eles should die whenever they blink. Eles shouldn’t be able to get away they should die like a kitten.

[/sarcarm]

hey now, this patch was worse for rangers than any other class. also, their sword/gs movement is effected by movement impairments, unlike flash/rtl.