Glyph of Storms... why 60s?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Fire Storm has a cooldown of 15s on conjure fiery greatsword
Frost Storm has a cooldown of 20s on conjure frost
Lightning Storm has a cooldown of 20s on conjure lightning

Only sandstorm is unavailable through another means.

So why is Glyph of storms 3x as long as the cooldown for these skills used through other means?

I suppose lightning storm is noticably longer than the lightning hammer version, but without pulling out a stopwatch, I’m not seeing a big change in frost or fire storms

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Frostedblaze.9017

Frostedblaze.9017

If I remember correctly, it used to have a shorter cooldown. However, the Earth storm is VERY strong. It basically got the entire spell nerfed.

Aiden Frost
Check out my S/D Ele tPvP guide: http://intothemists.com/guides/202-aiden_frosts_sd_sustain_burst

in Elementalist

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

If I remember correctly, it used to have a shorter cooldown. However, the Earth storm is VERY strong. It basically got the entire spell nerfed.

It’s a well of darkness, except with a cast time. It’s not THAT strong.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

The varients on the weapons are also much stronger. Both versions were cast with the weapons equipped to keep stats equal. No armor or trinkets were equipped for testing. A steady staff was used. Damage listed is non critical hits.

lightning storm- 126 (glyph) vs 162 (hammer)- The glyph version lasts significantly longer, but seems slightly more random and easier to miss with each bolt.

Ice storm- 337 damage + 6 sec bleed (bow) vs 120s + 3sec chill- ice bow’s seems to be the same number of shards but dropped over a much shorter period of time (3seconds rather than 6 seconds), but it’s also a channeled attack.

Firestorm- 271 damage, 9 pulses (greatsword) vs 159 damage, 11 pulses (glyph)- Otherwise they have the same function. Each pulse takes 1 second.

Sandstorm (glyph only)- 11 pulses, one per second, each dealing 116 damage with bleeding/blind in the pattern-blind(3), bleed (2s), bleed (2s) for a total of 4 blinds and 7 bleeds

My suggestions on skill changes below.

Air -Both bad damage & reliability. Increase the radius on each bolt so it’s like ice storm. From there either a damage increase or some small condition on each bolt like 2sec weakness or 1stack of 10sec vuln.
That way it would be the same total direct damage as the ice bow’s icestorm, but with a longer period of time to deal that damage, different condition, and not channeled.

Ice- The glyph’s storm is actually kind of decent, but it drops too slowly to reliably get hits in. Just lower the time it takes for all the shards to fall to make it more similar to ice bow’s storm and you’ll have a strong ability.

Fire – Firestorm seems okayish on the greatsword since it’s fairly spammable, but could be a bit better. Firestorm on the glyph still seems kind of weak. Making it equal to the weapon’s damage and giving it a 1 sec burn every 3rd pulse would make it worthwhile in comparison to sandstorm. It’s main advantage is the 10 limit and large radius, so a burn that big would be a nice feature.

Earth- Seems fine as it is

(edited by Navzar.2938)

in Elementalist

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Earth storm used to be a blind a second, now its a blind per 3 seconds. Dunno why it has such a long CD

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Elementalist

Devildoc.6721

Really the skill should have a 20s cooldown, modifiable to a 16s cooldown, 25s with 20s cooldown through trait tops.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

The damage is barely there, and easy to avoid. The long CD makes it a no-go.

Now if they lowered the CD to 15-30 secs, and made it a single huge explosion with interesting side effects (not just the burning, blindness, bleed and chill) of whatever element you choose, with higher burst damage of course, it would be interesting.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

I think Earth Storm used to be a Blast or Whirl Finisher, so that is why it has such long CD. Then Anet see it being too strong decided to put no more finisher on Storm, but forget to put its CD to match the change.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

The cooldown should be 24-30 seconds and create a fire, frost, lightning or smoke field in the spell area.

Air is terrible. I’ve cast it and hit nothing against golems in the mists (large hit box, stationary targets). The bolts should target people instead of being random.

Improve the effects of the others to match conjures and they would be fine with the lower CD.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in Elementalist

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Even with a 10 second cooldown I wouldn’t take that spell.

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Well this is enlightening, I didn’t realise they nerfed the blind on the storm, no wonder my tanky spec wasn’t working as well

Tbh I think it’d be fixed if fire,air,water had combo fields, it’d bring the others up to the usefulness of earth.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

Earth storm used to be a blind a second, now its a blind per 3 seconds. Dunno why it has such a long CD

I knew I wasn’t crazy… I remember clearly being virtually invulnerable during the Sandstorm, and then after a patch (without any notes of changing the spell) I was suddenly going down in the middle of it.

It’s still strong though, but a blind per second before was much more awesome.
I think they reduced it because only Thieves can blind once per second, and we’re clearly not Thieves.

in Elementalist

Devildoc.6721

The damage is barely there, and easy to avoid. The long CD makes it a no-go.

Now if they lowered the CD to 15-30 secs, and made it a single huge explosion with interesting side effects (not just the burning, blindness, bleed and chill) of whatever element you choose, with higher burst damage of course, it would be interesting.

I like the storm effects as they are, I just think that the cooldown is extreme compared to what it does, especially when I can use a conjure frost bow and use frost storm TWICE in the time that I can use glyph of storms to cast it once, and that’s with traits to reduce glyph cooldown by 20%.

Conjure earth shield should also have a way to cast sandstorm. The current shield is well… I can’t really find a use for it. You can charge in, pull, and then…. autoattack. It’d be great if you could charge in, aoe pull, and then sandstorm on your location.

in Elementalist

Devildoc.6721

Even with a 10 second cooldown I wouldn’t take that spell.

How about 20s (16s with glyph trait), and the storms create fields (including a second source of lightning field, currently, only available through static field), and sandstorm is a whirl finisher?

in Elementalist

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

The cooldown complaint should apply to every bloody skill in the game. The longest cooldowns on the most powerful skills should be 30 seconds, TOPS. Balance skill effect/damage around low cooldown, and we’d have a much more reactive game.

On the same note, our weapon skills (ele specific here) should have cast time, or animation delays, but not both. Also tweaking aftercast animation times to be shorter would be nice.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

I think they reduced it because only Thieves can blind once per second, and we’re clearly not Thieves.

necro
engi

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Elementalist

Zenith.7301

necro
engi

Necro is on a well nobody uses. 60 sec cd, and only cast below you without trait.

Engineer meta specs do not include much blind outside static shot and blind grenade.

in Elementalist

Zenith.7301

necro
engi

Necro is on a well nobody uses. 60 sec cd, and only cast below you without trait.

Engineer meta specs do not include much blind outside static shot and blind grenade.

The only class that blinds reliably is D/P thief, followed by guardian.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

necro
engi

The only class that blinds reliably is D/P thief, followed by guardian.

a. doesnt matter; they can still blind once per sec
b. well of darkness and smoke bomb can be very useful (such as being placed after LoSing the asc frac mobs into a group)

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Elementalist

Devildoc.6721

The cooldown complaint should apply to every bloody skill in the game. The longest cooldowns on the most powerful skills should be 30 seconds, TOPS. Balance skill effect/damage around low cooldown, and we’d have a much more reactive game.

On the same note, our weapon skills (ele specific here) should have cast time, or animation delays, but not both. Also tweaking aftercast animation times to be shorter would be nice.

I think that’s pushing it a bit, utility skill cooldowns need to be compared to other utility skill cooldowns, which is what I did.