Greatsword please!!

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The Mesmer’s aren’t the only “battle mages” in this game, nor does a battle mage only means using tricks and illusions to confuse enemies. Mesmer’s flavor is that of a duelist/ swordsman, but there’s many different kinds of battle mages in GW2. Guardian (scepter/) staff is a support battle mage. Elementalist with D/D is pretty much an acrobatic battle mage. Necromancers can be tank-ish battle mages. And conjures allow elementalists to magically simulate ranger’s/ guardian’s/ warrior’s skills, which makes elementalists a variation of the “self-enhancer” battle mage found in a few other role-playing games.

Anet has also said that the system set in place makes it easier for them to add new weapon sets to the professions, and that’s definitely something they want to do.

HOWEVER, I don’t think we’ll get any type of weapon that isn’t already available as a conjure. And possibly, any warrior-ish weapon we might get will probably be left as a conjure, anyway. I do see us getting a sword mainhand, or at least I would love it. :P I’m sure many people would want to play as an elemental swordsman.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

What you say does make sense, But there are still issues with using a great sword on Ele, such as 2. and 5. most notably. Another weapon set Anet could add yes, and they may even really want to but, Like I said, judging from Anet in GW 1, and so far in GW 2, they don’t like making changes as drastic as completely overhauling a class’ skills, or they would of done the same for Warriors in Spvp.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I’d certainly like to get a 1200 range damage focused weapon.

Rather it not be a greatsword though. There’s enough hundred blades bros running around with them already.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaosky.5276

Chaosky.5276

This is also why I think you never see an Ele with anything but a staff in concept art, to signify its ranged dominance and sorcerer attitude. If you’re looking for a battle mage, which has an active and offensive play style with great sword, I’d say Mesmer is your bet, well, that’s what Anet implies anyway lol.

Oh gods. “Ranged dominance.”

All of my laughter.

4. It just doesn’t make much sense to have a magic user, based around affinity to elements and knowledge, to have the upper body strength to carry the great sword. Mesmers I can justify, seeing as they can bend reality itself, it makes a plausible sense for them to be able to manipulate the weight of the great sword so it is light as a feather. For Ele’s I can find no justification.

So, why can’t magic users possess physical strength? Classes in this game are defined by their training rather than their natural attributes – and must I remind you that Gandalf actually used his sword more than he used magic?
Besides, eles can handle conjured and environmental weapons just fine.

I spend almost all my time studying and playing video games, but that doesn’t mean I don’t find time to exercise.

(edited by Chaosky.5276)

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Asurmir.7956

Asurmir.7956

The archetype mage no longer focuses around spamming spells at a distance. There are many different variations. In fact, to suggest that mesmer are able to fight up close because they use illusions isn’t really a sound argument.

All three of the casters, Mesmers/Eles/Necros, are able to use staves, scepters, and foci if they wish to pursue mid- to long-range fighting. For close-range, mesmers have swords (not the G Sword because that does more damage at mid and long range), elementalist have daggers, and necros have daggers/axes/warhorns (close to mid range).

The notion of a squishy mage is but one type of mage that either profession is capable of playing.

As for the topic, we probably wont be getting a great sword for two reasons.
As mentioned before, we have the fiery great sword elite (which I fancy in pvp). Anet would most likely have to retire that elite, create another in its place, and come up with the three other attunement skills.

Also, as mentioned before, mesmers would lose a bit of their uniqueness which I am not to keen on.

The second, and arguably most important, problem is with the traits.

As they are now, they lack in synergy and need more reworkings (save for water line and cantrips). Really, before we can have ANY new weapon the traits need to be worked over.

Asurmir “The Heretic” Ravenclaw
http://tinyurl.com/oaxdkgt

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

and must I remind you that Gandalf actually used his sword more than he used magic?

So a sword would mainly ignore the attunements and be you just slicing people with it?

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

Why not release a new weapon that necromancers and mesmers can use too? They have limited weapon options too. The wand would be a cool option IMO. It’s onehanded but I’d make the skills 2 handed, like the staff.

I’d also like a main and/or offhand sword. I really like my D/D, it’s all I play since it’s melee and so flashy and versatile but I’d like a change without having to go ranged.

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Chaosky.5276

Chaosky.5276

and must I remind you that Gandalf actually used his sword more than he used magic?

So a sword would mainly ignore the attunements and be you just slicing people with it?

Wut? No, I was just pointing out that the standard of magic users being physically weak isn’t as much of a standard as some would believe.

Although if we got a sword, I would like to actually hit people with it.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

When I said Ranged Dominance, i tried to stress the conceptual side of it. Speaking in Lore Terms, Elementalists DO have a monopoly on ranged combat, and in fact were coined by Anet even in the first game to be the most ‘destructive’ of professions. Whether this was actually true in-game is questionable.

Gandalf could use a sword yes, but not a great sword. My point is just that, as forward thinking as we may be (I enjoy the concept of ninja d/d ele a lot, even if I feel the actual spec is overpowered) Anet has certain things in mind for each classes concept. I just don’t think they are too big on the idea of giving Ele any existent weapons… a new weapon perhaps, like a chain or whip (not the most creative but meh) seems more possible. That’s all I’m saying.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Im talking about a two handed weapon that does RELIABLE damage at range (sort of like a mage wizard class is supposed or at least is preferred to do) without having to say “oh well, since I have so much CC and AoE I guess its ok to give up killing potential”

But if the GS becomes a superior Scepter-setup, what happens to Scepter?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

I imagine scepter will still be the top might stacking weapon, and still be a viable choice. Regardless, I would like to see the scepter be made to be a little bit faster and more reliable as well.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

I imagine scepter will still be the top might stacking weapon, and still be a viable choice. Regardless, I would like to see the scepter be made to be a little bit faster and more reliable as well.

its kind of high sometimes to stack might when landing the only blast finisher depends on the current enemy position and takes long enough for them to respawn 4 times before it lands…. but yes, S/F sure is the best for might stacking

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: frostflare.6390

frostflare.6390

I think it’s kind of cute that people are still so tied into the “Mages=X” when we have Necros who do actually cut you with their daggers, and Mesmers who do cut you with their swords.

If anything I want the Elementalist to get a weapon NEITHER of the other casters have. The Necro can use an axe/warhorn, Neither of the other two can use that. The Mesmer can use Torch, Pistol, and Swords. So far every single weapon the ele has is used by the other two. We don’t have anything that stands out as Unique in our arsonal. So I am all for rifles, Maces, Sheilds(Although that would verge to far into Foci’s domain), duel pistols(has one up on the Mesmer), Shortbows, Longbows, and Hammers.

Those are all equaly viable. But as I said before-Rifle. I already have all the skills I could think of created and listed out. I just don’t post them cuase I know anet won’t read them. But Fire could be a “Grenade/mine Gun” with emphisis on Pilars of flame, arcing globs of lava, and lava in genearl, Ice is our “Scatter Gun” with heavy single target-that explodes into spreadshot, wide control, and a heal. Air is a stun gun, with heavy melee damage, heavy control, and a very strong single target skill, and Earth is our “Sniper” in a sense. Long range-Stronger at range, Heavy defense, and good dot.

Also I disagree with the “Trait” issue some like to bring up. Our traits are conveluted and screwed up-I give you that. But becuase Attunments are what Tie our Alacraties and traits, NOT weapons(Unless you go arcana)-The ele has the easiest time gaining a weapon.

Also the warrior will always be the undisputed master of weapons(He still has weapon swaps, can swap fastest when traited, and can weild most weapons off-hand that others can not. He can duel-wield maces for example).

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wreck.2634

Wreck.2634

I would love another weapon, and fully support it being added even if it is rifle… but thats as far as I go. Rifle seems way to far off from a caster class. As much as I would love double pistols… same thing. Now dual swords… THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

PistolWhip.2697

I dunno, I think dual pistols would be awesome. Imagine a caster with dual pistols and elemental bullets :O!

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

1. The last thing we need is ANOTHER class where the devs will coddle the greatsword users while ignoring everyone else.

2. The mesmer already fills this niche. Are we just copycats now?

3. A regular sword would be much more interesting, think of how gandalf uses his sword against the Balrog in LOTR. Additionally, having a sword+dagger ele would be awesome.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nick.1480

Nick.1480

Personally, I still find that the staff is powerful. I think it depends on how much power you have.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I also vote for Rifle and Shield, something neither of the other scholars can use (bows also could work though I think they’d suit the mesmer more)

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Fortus.6175

Personally, I still find that the staff is powerful. I think it depends on how much power you have.

nobody is denying staff does damage, but whats the point if you cant hit anything?

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

a) We have a greatsword.

a) we dont, we have an elite

Which summons a….?

Hint: Not a mace.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blackhat.4016

Blackhat.4016

+1 for GS.

Really loving the skins so far and some new skills would be nice as well.

[Edit] Grammar…

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wreck.2634

Wreck.2634

+1 for GS. +1 for new weapon!

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Annabel.5127

Annabel.5127

I’ve always wanted the super greatsword skin for my ele…+1!

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Fortus.6175

+1 GS !

/15char

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Solkard.5136

Solkard.5136

You should reroll.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

- . In absolutely all themes of classes which has no greatsword exists a theme with a request to add it. No. This is stupid. GS is already the most used weapon in the game, so if you want it so much – just reroll or make conjured weapon build.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

As I’ve said before, there are two weapons I feel the elementalist should be able to use, and one I’d love to see them use.

Sword for the main hand focusing around melee attacks and movement abilities, and a torch for an offhand with some strong AoE damage attacks. Possibly focused around the caster to literally form a swirling vortex of elements around you for melee, or with a 1,200 range so it’s a straight up nuking weapon that gives our sword wielder a bit of area denial and range to work with, since we don’t have weapon swap.

And rifle as a max range high damage weapon as others have said. It’d be very much unique among the other casters and give the elementalist a fresh new look.

Torch and Rifle would also give me a legendary worth working toward. Don’t care for the dagger animations (Though I love the design) and the staff doesn’t fit my red, fire themed charr at all.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rainforest.5926

Rainforest.5926

We already have the most skills of any profession. Plus if they add a new weapon, they would have to come up with 4 skill sets with it (unless it’s an arcane only weapon), so if anything I think we would only get a one handed weapon instead of a two handed weapons.
It’s just a thought, but what if instead of a new weapon and skills, they just add more weapons combinations by allowing elementalists to wield a staff in main hand OR off hand with whatever you pair it with replacing the main/off hand skills (if you do staff/dagger: you get staff 1-3 and dagger 4-5; scepter/staff:. you get scepter 1-3, staff 4-5)

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

What would be better is if they turned all the weapon conjuring skills into kits like the engineer so they are equipped until dispelled instead of only being temporary. This will make elementalists far more versatile and fun to use. Of course they can scale down the damage and other effects to compensate for this.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Azunai.5974

Azunai.5974

conjured are just utility skills, they aren’t viable weapons.. they’d have to tweak the skills for damage and cooldowns

elementalist with greatsword is just a huge fail
the threads about swords, rifles, and stealth are just dumbing this game down worse than it already is

if elem does get any type of sword i hope it is Entirely different than the ones we’ve seen in the game so far

Oi, buddy. That’s blasphemy.

#rifleelementalistmasterrace

Resident deaf elementalist – Tarnished Coast
Everyone needs a little optimism!

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: MyPuppy.8970

MyPuppy.8970

I want a whip, to inflict pain, and control. Or a whip sword. I can imagine so many nice animations from it.

Lily Bertine [NG]/[GiRL]
Nerfentalist of Augury Rock

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

I want a whip, to inflict pain, and control. Or a whip sword. I can imagine so many nice animations from it.

Ivy? Is that you? I didn’t know you play gw2.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Oslaf Beinir.5842

Oslaf Beinir.5842

I can haz duel scepterz plz? I mean if the NPC at AC could do it then so should we.

Get In The Van Yo[PR] -Play on Far Shiverpeaks/Gunner’s Hold/Vabbi

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Fortus.6175

why is everyone so vocal agaisnt GS? Guys, if you dont want it its ok, dont wear it, just that we get GS doesnt mean we cant get the others.

It is a fact, more people like GS, its more likely to be implemented if it were based on popularity

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

I’d rather have another 1h weapon, since we are in desperate need of build diversity.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

I can haz duel scepterz plz? I mean if the NPC at AC could do it then so should we.

That was dual torches, actually!

As always, my vote goes to rifles for elementalists.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

I would love to have a greatsword.. or spear, or longbow. GS and spear would fit it the best, though.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Face it, anything except magical tools would look extremely silly and out of place on elementalist.
Even sword.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

@Winds: That is subjective. Obviously others don’t think the way you do, hence this post. Sword/greatsword looks good on mesmer, a light armored caster class. It will look good on an elementalist too. Conjure greatsword, axe or whatever and have a look.

Daggers doesn’t fall under the category of “magical tools”. I would argue that if you can channel magical energy through an item, it automatically becomes a magical tool, therefore any weapon can become such.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i’d like GS or sword too……

I’d like also another UW weapon

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Winds.3087

@Winds: That is subjective. Obviously others don’t think the way you do, hence this post. Sword/greatsword looks good on mesmer, a light armored caster class. It will look good on an elementalist too. Conjure greatsword, axe or whatever and have a look.

Daggers doesn’t fall under the category of “magical tools”. I would argue that if you can channel magical energy through an item, it automatically becomes a magical tool, therefore any weapon can become such.

Everything in this thread is subjective.
Sword and greatsword(albeit that one is questionable) looks good on mesmer, because this class supposed to be magical duelist.
Elementalist is one hundred percent your typical fantasy mage, with a little twist(daggers).
However, daggers have some really solid backups as magical tools, precisely ones that fall into “ritual dagger” category.
I also don’t quite understand why would elementalist need something they can already conjure. So you can wield your fiery greatsword while conjuring your fiery greatsword? Wouldn’t that look silly?
Swords, torches, I can understand about that. Spear would be fine too.
Finally, rifles and pistols for someone that can smack a fireball in their foe’s face instantly raise level of silliness above nine thousand. It’s like conjuring fiery quaggans instead of phoenixes while wielding polla.

(edited by Winds.3087)

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

It looks good on mesmers because of their role? I’m confused about the looks vs. roles thing, because you can dress a mesmer exactly like an elementalist. What the role of your profession is doesn’t change the appearance of two 100% identical looking characters. What they do has nothing to do with appearance.

Not sure what you are trying to say with “ritual daggers” category etc. GW lore I am not aware of?

However, I do agree with you that launchers (rifles and pistols) are hideous and abominations that shouldn’t be in the hands of an ele. Longbow sounds cool (D&D arcane archer), but would perhaps be a bit strange for the profession. Rifle and pistol.. no thanks!

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Winds.3087

It’s about class design. Mesmer is more like trickster-mage, while elementalist is your old-school mage.
Anything other than magical stuff in hands of elementalist will be completely out of touch with profession style. Okay, some enchanted swords – maybe. But remember, you should not swing it, or you will become guardian.
Ritual daggers aren’t from gw1, in gw1 you could be elementalist wielding hammer or scythe and be ok with that. It’s more about daggers in general.
On the other hand greatsword is plain wrong on mesmer too, but sword, now that’s where it belongs.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gruvel.7059

Gruvel.7059

Caster hammer anyone?
Mesmer gets greatsword, why not a 2-handed hammer for us?
Could be fun ^^

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Fortus.6175

Because Dagger/dagger totally fit the mage theme right? Yet we “accept” it because it was there from the start and you dont question it. Heck I still remember a couple of threads about it on release. Now? People dont even bat an eye.

I expect that the day Anet [hopefully] adds GS people will be very vocal about it, they will make WAAAHHHH threads about how it doesnt fit the class (because GS totally fits mesmers, a light class).

Please, get this right: Magic makes EVERYTHING possible, even casting fire and lighting underwater!!! Dont give me the “it doesnt fit the class” because if there is a totally magic based class that can totally pull this off is definitely elementalists.!

USE THY IMAGINATION

Legendary SoloQ

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

Because Dagger/dagger totally fit the mage theme right? Yet we “accept” it because it was there from the start and you dont question it. Heck I still remember a couple of threads about it on release. Now? People dont even bat an eye.

I expect that the day Anet [hopefully] adds GS people will be very vocal about it, they will make WAAAHHHH threads about how it doesnt fit the class (because GS totally fits mesmers, a light class).

Please, get this right: Magic makes EVERYTHING possible, even casting fire and lighting underwater!!! Dont give me the “it doesnt fit the class” because if there is a totally magic based class that can totally pull this off is definitely elementalists.!

USE THY IMAGINATION

IMAGINATION!

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Solkard.5136

In terms of DnD, Mesmers are illusionists and enchanters. It makes sense that they rely on actual martial weapons in combat, as their magic primarily function as a means of delivery for conditions/enchantments. It is also easier to create a copy of something you have a clear image of, ie. the gun/sword in your hand.

Elementalist magic can be considered conjuration and evocation. They don’t directly use weapons, more or less use the items as a focus and conduit for channeling out magical energy. To that end, they “could” just as easily use a sword or gun in place of a staff or scepter/wand, but it makes little sense that they would actually utilize them as actual weapons, rather just waving them around like a staff or scepter/wand.

That said, they do summon weapons which they use in a certain fashion, but such items can be interpreted as a specific magical items that require use in a specific way to unleash their inherent power, rather than as arbitrary foci to channel the Elementalist’s own powers. If anything I’d be more in favor of having the conjured weapons function more like an Engineer’s kits, giving them a more “static” presence in the Elementalists arsenal.

(edited by Solkard.5136)

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Eles have a great sword already. It’s under ‘elite skills’. If that’s not enough, please roll a mesmer.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Azunai.5974

Eles have a great sword already. It’s under ‘elite skills’. If that’s not enough, please roll a mesmer.

While it’s okay to have your own opinion, it is considered rude to tell other people what to do with their class.

What do you think of rifles, though?

Greatsword please!!

in Elementalist

Solkard.5136

What do you think of rifles, though?

If they hold it by the barrel and shoot fireballs out the stock? Sure, why not.