Guardians are better at aoe.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

So I went to cursed shore today to try out the farm, and the majority want staff guardians and only staff guardians for the events. It seems the reasoning is because guardian staff can tag all the mobs. When I mentioned eles could as well (some actually asked if eles have good aoe) the common opinion changed to, maybe, but staff guardians have boons.

So the general consensus of pve farmers seems to be that guardians have better aoe damage and better boon support than eles, on top of being bulkier. GG guys, but it’s over. Eles have now been demolished by staff guardians for all of our aoe damage needs, and all they have to do is stand there and spam 1.

Edit: Just to clear things up a bit, I don’t personally believe guardian’s aoe is better than ele aoe, this is more so my reaction/understanding of how people view us in pve. The last two sentences were also kind of sarcastic.

(edited by Navzar.2938)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

Guardian Staff is the best tagging tool in the game, for sure!

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

Why are you surprised? After all the repeated nerfs, we’re terrible right now. We never were the best class, people just thought we were OP because they were scrubs and we had unpredictability and we were pretty mobile. But now everyone is used to all eles tricks and learned how to counter us, like they should have done before screaming for us to be nerfed into the ground. But we still got nerfed anyway so we suck. I started out as an ele, but I’ve been spending more and more time on my guardian and warrior lately. They’re just so much better in every conceivable way. Anything an ele can do, they can do exponentially better. Seriously, just roll another class at this point. The difference is like night and day. After playing another class our weakness becomes even more apparent. The only problem is i’m quickly becoming bored with them. They’re nowhere near as fun as ele.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

Why are you surprised? After all the repeated nerfs, we’re terrible right now. We never were the best class, people just thought we were OP because they were scrubs and we had unpredictability and we were pretty mobile. But now everyone is used to all eles tricks and learned how to counter us, like they should have done before screaming for us to be nerfed into the ground. But we still got nerfed anyway so we suck. I started out as an ele, but I’ve been spending more and more time on my guardian and warrior lately. They’re just so much better in every conceivable way. Anything an ele can do, they can do exponentially better. Seriously, just roll another class at this point. The difference is like night and day. After playing another class our weakness becomes even more apparent. The only problem is i’m quickly becoming bored with them. They’re nowhere near as fun as ele.

So true, ele’s are unplayable garbage now and the only path is to reroll. Sadly, other classes are just so easy to play it gets boring fast. On my thief I have to be fighting at least 3 to have any fun.

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

I’m not surprised at all. I just think it’s sad that spamming auto attacking from guardian’s staff is considered better than ele’s entire skill set.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Lol you’re crying about something completely unrelated.

OP, there’s a difference between ‘effective damage’ and ‘tagging damage’.

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

Actually Leo, this is more about the cursed shore burning ember event. Doing enough damage to tag the champions there is fairly big issue. People are taking guardians reasoning that they deal better aoe damage than us, in addition to the other stuff.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

^My point is, we used to atleast be considered decent at AoE, but we’ve even been replaced in that department. We’re the least desired class in any group. Yeah people will take you still, and I’ve never been kicked from a group because I know what im doing. But that doesn’t change the fact that we’re still the last choice in anything.

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Actually Leo, this is more about the cursed shore burning ember event. Doing enough damage to tag the champions there is fairly big issue. People are taking guardians reasoning that they deal better aoe damage than us, in addition to the other stuff.

dont you worry given Arenanet track record with guild wars 1 elementlist they will promptly fix it, 6 years later. Right before they release guild wars 3.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

So I went to cursed shore today to try out the farm, and the majority want staff guardians and only staff guardians for the events. It seems the reasoning is because guardian staff can tag all the mobs. When I mentioned eles could as well (some actually asked if eles have good aoe) the common opinion changed to, maybe, but staff guardians have boons.

So the general consensus of pve farmers seems to be that guardians have better aoe damage and better boon support than eles, on top of being bulkier. GG guys, but it’s over. Eles have now been demolished by staff guardians for all of our aoe damage needs, and all they have to do is stand there and spam 1.

You should play guardian first before trying to make this claim. My second main is a guardian now and I do agree that they have better support tools than the ele including sharing boons but they don’t excel in aeo damage. Not even close. The guardian staff auto attack does deal dmg up to five foes (that’s what most guardians do in pve and in wvw to gain massive amount of loots) but the dmg behind it is very mediocre. A glass ele with a staff can down 5 or more opposite players within a zerg while a glass cannon guardian will never down even one by using his staff (exception would probably be an upleveled).

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

So true, ele’s are unplayable garbage now and the only path is to reroll. Sadly, other classes are just so easy to play it gets boring fast. On my thief I have to be fighting at least 3 to have any fun.

Could be worse, you could be a mesmer. Try getting tags with them in a large zerg of utter kitteness. I wouldn’t worry too much about this particular issue to be honest, anet is looking into changing the ember farm and besides, it is dreadfully boring! LH ele’s in a good dungeon group top the dps charts by a fair margin, but yeah you reeeeeally need to be on your A game and know the encounters well to play that effectively. I would say don’t give up hope completely, class balance is a on going thing. In the meantime, if you really are feeling so disheartened about playing ele, just play something else for a bit. My suggestion would be a engineer since they are the only other class that can present you with a high apm playstyle if you don’t mind the kit juggling, and they can pull off some pretty amazing stuff once you get the hang of them. So much of their potential is not straight forward (much like ele). Then when anet decides to go around making their changes again you can revisit ele, or just whenever you miss playing it etc etc.

in Elementalist

ARM.3912

An ele kill my thief? LOL, yeah that’ll be the day. Some people have perceptions of the elementalist that are so far removed from reality that i can only conclude they are based on another game.

in Elementalist

ARM.3912

An ele kill my thief? LOL, yeah that’ll be the day. Some people have perceptions of the elementalist that are so far removed from reality that i can only conclude they are based on another game.

Are you within a tier 1 server? if so, let me make you that day.

No, I play on a server with actual skill instead of just skill lag. Bragging rights of saying “#1” aren’t there, but neither is the zerger chest thumping based on tagging the most players from range with pheonix…

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

Are you within a tier 1 server? if so, let me make you that day.

No, I play on a server with actual skill instead of just skill lag. Bragging rights of saying “#1” aren’t there, but neither is the zerger chest thumping based on tagging the most players from range with pheonix…

What’s your server?.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

You should play guardian first before trying to make this claim. My second main is a guardian now and I do agree that they have better support tools than the ele including sharing boons but they don’t excel in aeo damage. Not even close. The guardian staff auto attack does deal dmg up to five foes (that’s what most guardians do in pve and in wvw to gain massive amount of loots) but the dmg behind it is very mediocre. A glass ele with a staff can down 5 or more opposite players within a zerg while a glass cannon guardian will never down even one by using his staff (exception would probably be an upleveled).

Originally I was going add a disclaimer tag about the post. The last line was partially sarcasm. I’m very hesitant to believe that guardian is equal to or better than ele aoe damage despite the large amount of farmers swearing by it. After all, guardians are one of the best pve classes, so it’s likely people are simply assuming they’re best at everything. I’m was more concerned because of the community’s insistence that guard aoe damage>ele, and it seems we are being replaced in that role for pve groups.

As for context, this is strictly pve, so it’s about the sustained damage, so I’m not sure comparing it to wvw is the best way to look at it.
I am leveling up my guardian though, and I’ll probably power level the last chunk with crafting just to test this out just in case.

in Elementalist

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

So I went to cursed shore today to try out the farm, and the majority want staff guardians and only staff guardians for the events.

OK but you can just ignore them its an open world event after all.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in Elementalist

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

The Guardian could have nothing else going for them except the Staff #1 and they would still be preferable to Eles for this specific type of farming.

This has nothing to do with which profession is better but which is better for tagging#, which has nothing to do with anything except the base weapon mechanics.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I personally think that nades engies are the best taggers and best aoe-damagers in the game. You can throw out tons of nades all over the place tagging everything, dishing out some good damage and condis, and each damage hit instantly procs (as opposed to relying on something standing in a lava font, for instance). Also, the range is 1500, so I can stand atop my perch in the Crown pavillion and tag every destroyer while the peons below hack away.

I do find it hard to believe that guardian aoe is better damage overall, but it is possible. Ele aoe damage is pretty “meh,” but there are a lot of other utilities that are useful for a zerg, through control and providing fields. For farming, or course guardians are better. Anet isn’t happy if guards and warrs aren’t #1-2 at everything pve.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lavadiel.6231

Lavadiel.6231

100% agree. This could have been my post.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Well how much damage does Guardian staff auto do? The way people make it out to be, it’s outperforming anything an Elementalist can do.

For the other point, devs don’t balance around the act of farming.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I just left from cursed shore ember farm (probably going to be nerfed) people are taking the guards because they can aoe tag very well with the auto attack. That doesnt mean they do better damage. To 5 AI mobs that stand there sure I doubt we will see zerker staff guardians in high demand lul in sPvP or PvE. The event favors a staff guardian there really isn’t more to it than that.

If the mobs clumped up into little piles against walls and didn’t move then chat would spam for zerker warriors with a gs and axe,axe. I would argue that a necro with epidemic would do more aoe dps than a staff zerker guardian every 12 secs traited you tag 5 mobs, epi one of the mobs you epi earlier and you epi more rinse and repeat blood is power to make sure you get good damage in.

The closes we can come to tagging is probably air auto attak nothing really wrong with it. Either way it makes little difference just party with a group that has a guardian in it you should pull in boxes decently. I pulled in 25 which is pretty good for just my 3rd time doing it. The group I had without a guardian I pulled in 20.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

In this situation the tagging concerned is about the champions, not the trash mobs, so it is a matter of damage here.

As for the necro thing, that would be higher dps alone, but the condition cap kills it.

in Elementalist

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

^I agree with you.

in Elementalist

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I’m not surprised at all. I just think it’s sad that spamming auto attacking from guardian’s staff is considered better than ele’s entire skill set.

Do not pick out a single skill for one use for an event that gets nerfed anyway. Yes, for this particular event the guardian staff 1 skill is good, but the range is bad. You forget that eles have 1200 range with their staff and a kittenload of other skills (20!!!) while the guardian has only a range of 600 on this particular skill. The guardian staff is rather a utility weapon.

It is good for zerg farming and TA (volatile blossoms) but that’s all. There are numerous other attacks like the engineer’s flame jet for example that can serve the same purpose.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

in Elementalist

Navzar.2938

^point taken, aside from engineer’s flame jet (damage is way to weak to say it fills the same purpose). But yes, the whole guard staff skill set up is being weighed against the whole ele skill set up, this skill was just the most prominent behind the reasoning I saw.

Also, range isn’t that big on an issue in pve aside from certain areas when you have to destroy structures and picking off part of a group.

(edited by Navzar.2938)