[Guide] Mastering the Staff Ele 1/18/13

in Elementalist

Posted by: lOKI.8152

lOKI.8152

About the dmg from Meteor Shower i can attest to it hitting my ele with about 1.6k toughness (PVT + clerics exotics) for 4k dmg, so i guess 6k isnt impossible considering peoples habit of using berserker gear in WvW.

You may want to mention the ability to swap attunements halfway through your dodge (didnt see it mentioned but may be wrong). Very useful.

(PvE)(0/10/0/30/30) I am currenty using a superior sigil of life on my staff and for food a bowl of saffron-mango icecream. Heavy support but i really like it even though lots of people claim healing power is not very useful to stack. Healing 2.5k on swap to water is quite nice :-) For me its a way to make up for the random quality of group members you get when pugging dungeons. Not been using it much in WvW. Saddly theres no way of influencing whom your heals hit in tightly packedd zergs :-(

Lvl 80s: Thief, Necro, Engi, Ele, Mesmer, Ranger

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left.”

(edited by lOKI.8152)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Rookni.2469

Rookni.2469

Now I fear the sheep will run towards your staff specc. Staff will be seen more often in PvP. The skilled eles will master it and be able to kill all classes that thought staff eles was heart seeker 100 blades ease kills. These people will flock to the forum and a new nerf train will hunt the forums “STAFF ELE BREAK PVP” “STAFF ELE META OP” “STAFF ELE UNKILLABLE”

However DaPhoenix. You have shown people outside the ele core that elementalist wasnt a broken class like everyone thought in the beginning. Glad to have you among us

Commander Yolo Oh Trollo. The power is in the moustache
http://www.youtube.com/user/itsjustfiction

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thunderbrew.7034

Thunderbrew.7034

Two possible corrections:

1) You mention Flame Burst and a few other things that are
affected by Blasting Staff, but according to Wikki this is not
true:

Lava Font: 50%
Ice Spike :25%
Geyser: 50%
Frozen Ground: 25%
Lightning Surge: 100%
Static Field: 33%
Eruption: 25%

The above are the only things affected by that trait, and thats why
I am not sold on it compared to what else you can get.

2) You mention Ice Spike can be cancelled during the channel and it
will still do its damage. Wikki states the same thing. If you test this
on a dummy in the mist though, and cancel the channel, the Ice
Spike still shows as dropping but does zero damage.
————————————————————————————————————-

I believe that most Staff Ele players fail to reach their max
potential because they lack in “map awareness.” Knowing
where to be and where not to be is crucial in playing it because
you lack the mobility of d/d or s/d (ride the lightning).

I play mine almost like a Thief, in terms of my positioning and
timing of attacks. I always try to stay out of the spotlight, I carefully
plan when and where to attack, and I know when to flee the scene.

When Im respawning and making my way to the main party/zerg, I use
s/d and rely on Ride the Lightning to avoid any trouble along the way.

This week, I changed my GC staff build into an offensive/defensive
build. Im wearing soldier armor and berserker runes and traited a hybrid
of the d/d bunker trait build. My main skills are Lightning Flash and Mist Form
which allows me to escape trouble even more. For my Elite, Ive been using
Fiery Greatsword as a retreat mechanism because two of its abilities are gap
closers (I got that idea from playing a GS warrior and the seeing the usefullness
of the movement on it).

(edited by Thunderbrew.7034)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Got E.9432

Got E.9432

@Waraxx

So if I want to play 0/10/0/30/30 as support/dmg

- I pick Knight armor and put divinity runes on it.
- I use a Knight’s Staff aswell and put Sigill of Battle on it.
- For trinkets I use something with +healing power, precision and crit?
Because I have enough HP already.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Waraxx.4286

Waraxx.4286

@Waraxx

sounds good. this is pretty much my setup with a few changes, i go with:
-berz armour with divinty
-berz staff with battle
- 2 knights earrings and 1 amulet with ruby jewels
- back is berzerker with ruby jewels
-rings of lunari and solari ( divinity stats)

tbh i want to change to knights stats on my Armour and on my weapon but it so expensive xD. however. jewels should always be ruby because you get 1% crit dmg for 5 stat points witch is reeealy good.
in the future patch i will most likely upgrade my amulet to divinity stats as well. because i love it.

but your setup sounds really good as well. the difference is only minor and are to personal preferences. so i give a thumbs up for that gear setup :P (thumbs up)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolf Fivousix.4319

Wolf Fivousix.4319

@Daphoenix. You dam sure it’s preety easy to dodge, but they keep falling at it! It’s so funny HAHAHAHAHHA

// Dragonbrand
Wolf Fivousix – Elementalist
Black Wolf Trading Tool

in Elementalist

Posted by: keopss.1265

keopss.1265

Hey guys,
I use d/d build for wvw and pvp.
I want to make a magic find set for my ele,and i think to swtich to staff.
The set i want is called Traveller, and it comes only with power and precision+magic find,the same about the trinkets, the rune i will add is called Superior rune of the pirate, which also gives magic find +20 might duration.
I need help with traits for this build,as i never tested it and haven’t found any topic repated to this.
-This will not include wvw,for wvw ill switch bag to my d/d build.
-I want to deal good amounts of damage.
-Survive in any dungeon(inclusind high lvls fractals)
-And survive while soling on farming areas in Cursed Shore or Orr

Thanks in advice

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ludakrit.8572

Ludakrit.8572

@ daphoenix.4283

Can you give us a comprehensive armor/weapon/sigil/rune breakdown for this setup please and ty

in Elementalist

Posted by: FalconFighter.9628

FalconFighter.9628

thank you!
daphoenix, you are a priceless leader of this community.

i have a question that i would be glad to have insight from anybody for:
combo fields/finishers
what determines the strength of certain things?
for burns, is condition damage given a boost by the initiator or the finisher?
for regen/heals, is the healing boosted by the initiator’s stats or the finisher’s stats?

i.e. ele 1 is full clerics. ele 2 is full rabid
ele 1 does a fire field, ele 2 does a projectile finisher = burn for dmg based on ele 1 or 2?

ele 1 does a water field, ele 2 does a projectile finisher
does the regen on ele 2 benefit from the healing power of ele 1?

tyvm

in Elementalist

Waraxx.4286

thank you!
daphoenix, you are a priceless leader of this community.

i have a question that i would be glad to have insight from anybody for:
combo fields/finishers
what determines the strength of certain things?
for burns, is condition damage given a boost by the initiator or the finisher?
for regen/heals, is the healing boosted by the initiator’s stats or the finisher’s stats?

i.e. ele 1 is full clerics. ele 2 is full rabid
ele 1 does a fire field, ele 2 does a projectile finisher = burn for dmg based on ele 1 or 2?

ele 1 does a water field, ele 2 does a projectile finisher
does the regen on ele 2 benefit from the healing power of ele 1?

tyvm

it’s the finisher that determine what strength/duration the effect have.
however I’m not sure how the regen works. if it’s the one who finish or its the one who receive that deterministic the strength. the duration is however determined by the finisher. so in example 1 it’s the 2nd eles stats that are used. and im unsure in the 2nd example. in either case, the stats from the fields are never used.

also note that in example 2, the elementalist with the finisher is not the player that are granted the regeneration. it’s the players next to the target of his projectiles that are granted regeneration.

(edited by Waraxx.4286)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Requiem.1597

Requiem.1597

@Waraxx

sounds good. this is pretty much my setup with a few changes, i go with:
-berz armour with divinty
-berz staff with battle
- 2 knights earrings and 1 amulet with ruby jewels
- back is berzerker with ruby jewels
-rings of lunari and solari ( divinity stats)

tbh i want to change to knights stats on my Armour and on my weapon but it so expensive xD. however. jewels should always be ruby because you get 1% crit dmg for 5 stat points witch is reeealy good.
in the future patch i will most likely upgrade my amulet to divinity stats as well. because i love it.

but your setup sounds really good as well. the difference is only minor and are to personal preferences. so i give a thumbs up for that gear setup :P (thumbs up)

Hey Waraxx when you mean knights earring and 1 amulet what do you mean specifically in this case for PvE? Because as far I know there is no such thing as a knight’s earring or amulet in the TP. thanks

(edited by Requiem.1597)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Knox.3748

Knox.3748

in Elementalist

Waraxx.4286

Hey Waraxx when you mean knights earring and 1 amulet what do you mean specifically in this case for PvE? Because as far I know there is no such thing as a knight’s earring or amulet in the TP. thanks

i was meaning pve. I’ve always meant pve. but i don’t know the name of the stat combo toughness,precision,power in jewelry. emerald? anyway when i say knights i mean the though,power,precision stat combination.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Requiem.1597

Requiem.1597

i was meaning pve. I’ve always meant pve. but i don’t know the name of the stat combo toughness,precision,power in jewelry. emerald? anyway when i say knights i mean the though,power,precision stat combination.

Thanks for clearing that up, you mentioned that you put ruby jewels on the knight’s accessories. I was wondering how you managed to do that as the lvl 80 exotic emerald orichalcum amulet of the knight and earrings of the knight dont have an upgrade slot? Or should i not be using Exotic and masterwork instead? Thanks again

in Elementalist

Waraxx.4286

Thanks for clearing that up, you mentioned that you put ruby jewels on the knight’s accessories. I was wondering how you managed to do that as the lvl 80 exotic emerald orichalcum amulet of the knight and earrings of the knight dont have an upgrade slot? Or should i not be using Exotic and masterwork instead? Thanks again

exotic emerald orichalcum amulet/rings/earrings with ruby jewels. that was what i meant. so the stat combination will look like this :

item:
precision
power
toughness

upgrade component:
power
precision
%critdmg

in Elementalist

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Thanks for this great guide

in Elementalist

Posted by: icesea.6172

icesea.6172

I really enjoy the staff, with all the support (combo fields etc) it gives for dungeons with my friends, but whenever I try it out (often when I feel optimistic) in PvP, I just can’t help but feel like it has nothing to actually kill anyone because it feels like really passive play. D/D and S/D have much less casting time, and there is much less placing of AoEs with other weapon sets.

There are 10 staff skills which deal alright damage, compared to the 15 damaging skills on a D/D weapon set, where the d/d has much more mobility, I just can’t seem to get a good rhythm going with the staff in PvP, do you ever find this?

in Elementalist

Posted by: neithan.9750

neithan.9750

Your links are blank now for the builds, can you update?

Neithan Turambar
Level 80 Guardian, Thief
Minions of Grenth, Jade Quarry

in Elementalist

Posted by: Darkwolf.6291

Darkwolf.6291

So, I’ve been working on a Staff Elementalist. Aiming for 0/10/0/30/30 eventually (currently x/0/0/15/20 at 50ish). I’ve got some questions about the actual Elementalist playstyle.

Right now I’ve been starting in Air, and then going Air→Water→Earth→Fire, or Air→Fire→Earth→Water if I don’t need much healing going out. When doing that, I’ve been basically throwing down every ability in an attunement, then changing attunement immediately. This means I typically get a LOT of overlapping combo fields and stuff, as well as a fair bit of Might and Fury from traits.

Am i doing it wrong? Should I be swapping attunements more slowly, and spending longer in Earth/Fire? Should I be holding back some abilities for times when they are actually needed, or is just flinging out everything the way of the game?

I’ve noticed that with the time delay on Earth2, it means you can only really get a Blast finisher off Water5. Everything else doesn’t last long enough. With that in mind, for damage would Air → Earth → Fire → Water be a better rotation, and aim to drop Earth2 then immediately from a Fire 2 on top of it to get an Area Might finisher? Why is Air → Fire → Earth → Water suggested? Are there any times where it’s appropriate to just skip an Attunement entirely and spend longer in something like Fire/Earth to compensate?

I can’t help but feel I’m missing out on a lot by just hurling abilities out and juggling attunements constantly. It’s pretty showy though.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jason.9643

Jason.9643

to OP – thanks for sharing your great videos.

To all – if there already are more awesome staff pvp videos, please share;
i think this is OP’s video link = http://www.youtube.com/user/daphoenix555

(sorry for bumping old topic, somehow google/youtube led me here and i thought this is great)