Help with burning speed

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

I just moved on to dagger mainhand and i am trying to get some of the skills down.

Burning speed is giving me some trouble in its usage.
it doesnt seem to target and i find myself burning off in unexpected directions.
Or zooming right past everyone.

Can anyone give some advice on how to play this?

Its a pretty high damage attack and missing it is a little nerfing.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

It’s not like Ride the Lightning, it actually goes in whatever direction you’re facing at the moment, and does in fact go right through targets. Getting it to land is just a matter of taking a moment to get at the right range and aiming yourself properly. Easier said than done of course :\

Come to think of it, Updraft puts you at the perfect range to land Burning Speed, if you want to absolutely guarantee it will land.

(edited by Haette.2701)

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Is that generally how people land this?
rtl/updraft/BS

Any other tricks on this?

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Furby.5693

Furby.5693

Is that generally how people land this?
rtl/updraft/BS

Any other tricks on this?

No, it’s not generally how it’s done, but it works great in pvp as a combo. In PvE it just takes some practice and “feeling” it. If you can’t feel your ele, you need to become more one with your computer. Do that and you’ll be balanced and happy.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

Run over downed people with it to get a kill without having to call flagpoles from the sky.

Use it to run away from people, since they’ll have to go around your giant flaming skidmark. Don’t forget to drop Ring of Fire, so they’ll have to run around your giant flaming donut too.

Turn off melee assist, and use it to run through melee attackers so they lose attacks. Saves endurance.

Use it on people in corners. You’ll do way more damage because every tick of the “skid mark” part will hit them.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Crunchy Gremlin.5798

Turn off melee assist? really?
Ill try it. What is the effect of melee assist on BS?

I guess i should be more clear that I am working on this in Spvp.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

PinCushion.7390

Melee assist means you don’t run through people you have targeted. So, if you’re a melee guy and you run at someone or use a charge type ability (like Burning Speed) you’ll stop when you run into them. If you turn it off, then you’ll run straight through them. Thieves usually turn it off because it makes landing backstabs easier.

If I’m wrong about that, then someone please correct me.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Animosity.5231

Animosity.5231

Yeah, turned on melee assist long ago. Much better without it.

RTL > Updraft > BS is the common use, yes. Dodging backwards once or twice or running to the opposite side they dodge to and turning can put you at the appropriate range for it as well.

Use terrain. If there is a wall near your enemy, you can BS into it and the blast will hit them still.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Run over downed people with it to get a kill without having to call flagpoles from the sky.

Use it to run away from people, since they’ll have to go around your giant flaming skidmark. Don’t forget to drop Ring of Fire, so they’ll have to run around your giant flaming donut too.

Turn off melee assist, and use it to run through melee attackers so they lose attacks. Saves endurance.

Use it on people in corners. You’ll do way more damage because every tick of the “skid mark” part will hit them.

^ This, burning speed also gets you far enough away that you can rtl out of there without worrying too much on auto targeting something (if you use auto target like I do).

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: BioMasterZap.4350

BioMasterZap.4350

I still haven’t got the hang of Burning Speed either. Although IMO it seems much easier to control than a Ranger’s Sword XD

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gavoll.9085

Gavoll.9085

Yeah, you just have to get a feel for the distance, that’s all. Also, keep in mind that conditions which slow you will cause you to travel a shorter distance before the explosion, and swiftness will cause you to travel further (especially outside of combat).

Its a great skill to lead with since it has a fairly short cd and rtl/updraft/bs is a common way to enter the fight and get some early burst on multiple targets.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Turbo Whale.1738

Turbo Whale.1738

You’ll get it. Honestly one of the things I love about D/D is pulling off a crazy Burning Speed on a target that is going at an angle. Just practice on dummies or mobs. You’ll get a feel for it.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: BishopX.6453

BishopX.6453

i spent 40 minutes today just following around the moving practicee golem and RTL+UPDRAFT+Blazing speed and rtl updraft+ dragon tooth+phoenix+flame grab+arcane blast.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

the RTL+updraft+burning speed its not optimal (you should use ring of fireto start some combos) but its easy enough for players like me…

Btw it seems if you roll on RoF past the enemies you end up backwards facing the enemies but with camera reversed .-. in perfect place for a fire grab…but i dunno why sometimes it turns and sometimes don t.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Atlas.6901

Atlas.6901

Haven’t played D/D in a while, but if you pan your camera a lot, it’s fairly easy to kite while panning your camera directly at your target, then right click to face the direction of your camera, and fire off Burning Speed. You have to get the timing down, because there is a very slight delay when you right click in which your character rotates toward the camera. But once you get that timing down, it’s a very efficient way to kite and then fire off an accurate Burning Speed (without relying on the Updraft crutch).

Edit: Obviously you have to adjust for moving targets, but Burning Sprint is pretty fast and the end of it has a decent-sized AOE, so it’s not that difficult to land once you understand the mechanics.

(edited by Atlas.6901)

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Creslin.1758

Creslin.1758

My favorite thing to do is Burning Speed through a target and pop arcane wave while I’m traveling in the fire for the might stacks, and roll back through the fire with evasive arcana to get more might stacks, then continue with the standard D/D fire burst stuff…ending with with RoF and then going to earth if appropriate for more blast finishers.

Magaera Enflanza (F Human D/D Ele)
[Envy], [Moon]

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mik Hell.8206

Mik Hell.8206

You’ll get it. Honestly one of the things I love about D/D is pulling off a crazy Burning Speed on a target that is going at an angle. Just practice on dummies or mobs. You’ll get a feel for it.

This, Burning Speed is hard to aim, but it’s also incredibly fun when used correctly and the more you use it the sooner you will get accustomed to it.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: hakurface.2619

hakurface.2619

Honestly, I don’t have a single issue with Burning Speed. I’ve been playing with Melee Assist off since forever and been playing with auto target off for about a month now and everything just works better.

All you have to know in order to land burning speed is 2 things. It always goes in the direction your character is facing and it’s range. Remember, the way your character is facing, not looking. Using Right Click to adjust your camera angle so your character faces accordingly always helps. The blast radius of burning speeds end is around 200-240 yards if that helps you any. It’s around the same radius of windborne speed.

Updraft will put you right in range for Burning Speed. You can Updraft > Fire > Run forward for a split second > Burning Speed > Fire Grab.

All just comes down to knowing the range of Burning Speed and the ending blast radius. Don’t forget, you have practice Golems and NPC’s.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Didn’t see this but applying a chill and dodging back can sometimes work too.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: kubetz.3058

kubetz.3058

Just my $0.02 how I’m initiating fights and integrating BS into it + how am I usually proceding afterwards.

I’m using Evasive Arcana in my build and I like to use (in PvE):

• Ride the Lightning
  • Updraft
  • Shocking Aura – swiftness & fury from traits and bit of a control
  • switch into Fire – 3 might stacks from the Sigil of Battle
  • Burning Speed – you will go through mobs
  • dodge back – 3 more stacks of the might because of the Evasive Arcana
  • Ring of Fire
  • Arcane Wave – 3 more stacks of the might
  • switch into Earth
  • Earthquake – knockdown and 3 more stacks of might
  • Magnetic Grasp – it is a leap, so it will give me Fire Aura (= fury & swiftness)
  • Churning Earth

Burning Speed after Updraft and dodging back usually means I’m now directly or very close to the mob(s) and my Evasive Arcana is granting me might from the fire field and damaging mobs right on top of me.

After that I can either switch to water to heal (#5, #3 which is now buffed), activate another aura for boons (#4) then switch to fire to continue with the damage. It really depends on what is going on.

Even when initiating the fight I’m pretty flexible – I won’t Updraft if mobs are clumped together. I will include Arcane Shield activation when initiating for extra protection and damage when solo, Lighting Flash instead in Orr farming for extra “speed” or to make sure Churning Earth hits if mobs are running elsewhere. Mist Form as a “oh-kitten” button solo or Glyph of Storm for extra oomph in events.

Ele is just fun to play.

(edited by kubetz.3058)

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

Also, I actually discovered that if you start Churning Earth in a fire field, you will get 3 stacks of might when it finishes, even if that fire field no longer exists.

[Envy], [Moon]

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Also, I actually discovered that if you start Churning Earth in a fire field, you will get 3 stacks of might when it finishes, even if that fire field no longer exists.

I kept wondering where the extra 3 stacks of might was coming from. Thanks for helping me see what should have been obvious there. lol

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Churning earth has its blast finisher at the start not the end. (because of the cripple)

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

PinCushion.7390

I like to save my RTL and Updraft for speed getaways. I use Magnetic Grasp → Earthquake → Drake’s Breath → Fire Grab → Ring of Fire.

If they’re knocked down you can hit them with every tick of Drake’s Breath. Alternatively, I’ll use Fire Signet before Magnetic Grab to make sure they’re burning before my Fire Grab. And sometimes, depending on cooldowns, I’ll toss a Signet of Air right before Fire Grab just to have Fury.

I know I’m losing Might stacks by doing it this way, but I don’t like losing the point blank AoE from swapping to Fire. I haven’t done the math, but it feels like the extra nuke is more damage than I’m getting from Might.

And RTL→ Updraft feel more fluid when used to interrupt casts (when they don’t bug).

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

Churning earth has its blast finisher at the start not the end. (because of the cripple)

It actually triggers at the end, but the bonus you get from the blast finisher is determined by the field you were in when you started casting it.

[Envy], [Moon]

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Nope Creslin, when there are no enemies around i start churning earth just for the blast finisher, and cancel so i can keep doing other things. The explosion at the end doesn’t do any finisher.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Creslin.1758

Nope Creslin, when there are no enemies around i start churning earth just for the blast finisher, and cancel so i can keep doing other things. The explosion at the end doesn’t do any finisher.

Strange, I have consistently noticed might get stacked when it finishes. I’ll have to try again, but I’ve done it a lot of times.

[Envy], [Moon]

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: Noctred.6732

Noctred.6732

If you cancel churning earth you won’t get the might stacks. You have to finish the cast.

Help with burning speed

in Elementalist

Posted by: hakurface.2619

hakurface.2619

You must complete CE in order to receive the Might Stacks. It’s been tested time and time again.