HoT Open World PvE D/D help please

in Elementalist

Posted by: Clear Black.8521

Clear Black.8521

Just getting back to the game after a 2 yr break, looking to play my Ele again. When I left I was playing D/D and liking the playstyle. I know the HoT maps are pretty intense for solo playing, so I am wondering if you folks can help me decide what stats are best for this.

Gear stats
Runes
Sigils

and what Ascended recipes I should get.

Thanks folks.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Themistokles.1238

Themistokles.1238

Hey ho and welcome back.
First you should get Tempest as soon as possible. Especialy if you want to play with D/X. Air Overload is just awesome with Fresh Air Tempests.
The next and sad thing is, that Dagger OffHand is now outshined from Warhorn. It gives much more from everything. More Damage, More sustain and more Heal.
Depending on how well you are in rotations and stuff it is possible to play full Zerker.
This is the Build i am Playing.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQJBIhdSfJ0fJ2gJY2AQHBWEAM3W7sN3GEAKAHAhNwFoGC-ThBFABXpEMN9AFq+DAPAgFOBAIt/o87bwAwQAgZmZmuZkRIFAfLjA-e
I also have Focus in my inventory for even more Projectile hate and sustain. For some bosses its a good decision to have also a Szepter with you to be able to play from Range.

in Elementalist

Posted by: tomwcb.9713

tomwcb.9713

Hey! Yes solo in HoT can be tricky unless you change your build a little.

First off, as the other person said: get Tempest asap. Join one of the hero point trains you see advertised on Reddit to get that sorted out.

My build for solo is:

Full Berserkers armour, weapons, trinkets (w/ Scholar runes)
Dagger / Warhorn (with sigils of Force and Accuracy, plus Focus if you need even more defence)
Skills: Wash the Pain Away, Flash Freeze, Aftershock, Feel the Burn, Glyph of Elementals
Traits: Air 1, 2, 2. Earth 3, 3, 1. Tempest 3, 2, 1.

This is basically an auramancer build. It is all about applying auras all the time. You have 10 different ways of applying auras, and each aura gives you Protection, Swiftness, Regeneration, Fury and Vigor, which makes an enormous difference to your ability to survive when on your own.

Have fun

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

I think marauder(at least parially) is better then zerker. Especially when you want to go to WvW sometimes. I am not a friend of scolar rune. But it´s high damage for PvE.
So i would prefer marauder armor with hoelbrak rune and do might stacking to have one set PvE + WvW but this is my personal preference not to swap armor sets for game modes and do a bit less damage in PvE and it´s more staff oriented. If you want to go maximum DPS for raids scolar is a propably the best option. Other good damage runes are strength or pack.
I personal run scepter + focus nearly all the time with a mix of viper, celestial and rabid.
Its not dps maximized to power or condi but a powerful all rounder which i can run around and solo with ease.

(edited by Wolfric.9380)

in Elementalist

Themistokles.1238

The question was simple only PvE. If you really want to go to wvw sometimes, its needed to have different trinkets and weapons with you.
Berserker is the highest damage in combination with some assassin trinkets. Hoelbrak is such a huge damage loss in pve. if you dont like scolar, ok, but then play strange and not Hoelbrak in pve.
Scepter and Focus is less damage then Dagger/Warhorn and again, the question was Dagger based build.

To op:
There are many different ways to play the D/X Tempest. The Build i posted was with the Fire Traitline. You can replace it with Earth like tomwcb said or even with
Water: 1,3,2
Arecane: 2,2,3
Then you can switch the Utility skills for the situation you are facing. Sigil of Energy can also helping to survive.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

If its pure HOT PvE shure. Go berserker + scolar and evade damage.
I would go fire or air/arcane/tempest for DPS using traited arcane with perma ferocity buff + glyph of storms. Force + energy sigil should work well.

in Elementalist

Themistokles.1238

air and tempest are must have. Arcane is damage loss if you are not able to maintain 5 boons. fire is highest damage and water gives some nice additional support.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Stahlic.9458

Stahlic.9458

You should ideally run a setup similar to this:

Berserker/Assassin’s Dagger with Sigil of Air
Berserker/Assassin’s Warhorn with Sigil of Force

6P Berserker armor with Scholar Runes
All Berserker trinkets if running Assassin’s weapons, otherwise 2 Assassin’s accessories and Berserker weapons.

Fire/Air/Tempest utilizing Fresh Air.