How do trait damage bonuses combine?

in Elementalist

Posted by: MotherKitten.6795

MotherKitten.6795

If I have the Vital Striking and Bolt to the Heart traits and I am above 90% health and the target is below 33% health will I do 32% more damage or 30% more damage?

The Goderators have ruined this forum for me.

in Elementalist

Posted by: magic fly.2041

magic fly.2041

I tested something similar with my guardian with the bonus damage to burning targets, and bonus damage to targets with conditions traits.
They are entirely separate. Two 5% damage bonus skills is worth a little more than one 10% damage bonus. It is also the reason why I’ve changed my mind and I now think vulnerability is actually useful.

It is not much by itself, but it certainly adds up fast the more damage bonuses you get.

You will do 32% more.

Although…both of those traits active at the same time is extremely unlikely, so i don’t think an extra 2% is going to make a difference here.

(edited by magic fly.2041)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Bsgapollo.5364

Bsgapollo.5364

30%. How did you end up with 32% in the first place ?

Level 80 Elementalist, experienced player in pvp, trying out pve for now.

in Elementalist

Bsgapollo.5364

I tested something similar with my guardian with the bonus damage to burning targets, and bonus damage to targets with conditions traits.
They are entirely separate. Two 5% damage bonus skills is worth a little more than one 10% damage bonus. It is also the reason why I’ve changed my mind and I now think vulnerability is actually useful.

It is not much by itself, but it certainly adds up fast the more damage bonuses you get.

You will do 32% more.

Am I missing something ? How did you end up with 32% ?

in Elementalist

magic fly.2041

Lets say that you do 100 damage.
The 10% damage bonus to 100 damage would make 110 damage. 110 damage with a 20% bonus would be 132.

It is multiplied separately to the damage, meaning that multiple weaker bonuses is more powerful than one big bonus.

in Elementalist

Bsgapollo.5364

The 10% damage bonus to 100 damage would make 110 damage. 110 damage with a 20% bonus would be 132.

It is multiplied separately to the damage, meaning that multiple weaker bonuses is more powerful than one big bonus.

Are you sure about that ? I just tested some things ingame to see if vulnerability would actually decrease my toughness, then you’re theory about multiplying the damage bonuses would be correct, yet that didn’t happen. Is it just not visible or is this just a wild assumption? If not got any evidence to back it up?

in Elementalist

magic fly.2041

Are you sure about that ? I just tested some things ingame to see if vulnerability would actually decrease my toughness, then you’re theory about multiplying the damage bonuses would be correct, yet that didn’t happen. Is it just not visible or is this just a wild assumption? If not got any evidence to back it up?

Vulnerability increases the damage a target takes by a %
It doesn’t touch toughness.

I should actually be doing homework right now, so I will get some screenshots for you to prove how the damage bonuses stack in about 3-4 hours once I finish here.

If you don’t want to wait, just go to the pvp lobby, equip a steady weapon, and two damage bonus traits, and record the damage without the traits, with the traits, and with each individual trait. You will see that two 10% damage traits doesn’t lead to 20% bonus damage.

in Elementalist

Bsgapollo.5364

Vulnerability increases the damage a target takes by a %
It doesn’t touch toughness.

I should actually be doing homework right now, so I will get some screenshots for you to prove how the damage bonuses stack in about 3-4 hours once I finish here.

If you don’t want to wait, just go to the pvp lobby, equip a steady weapon, and two damage bonus traits, and record the damage without the traits, with the traits, and with each individual trait. You will see that two 10% damage traits doesn’t lead to 20% bonus damage.

I’ll wait, bet you can explain it better than I can figure it out anyway.

in Elementalist

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Damage traits stack multiplicatively along with runes and sigils though for sigils it’s the sum of the two before it’s multiplied. Partly why eles are top dps in pve and why heavy arcana is a poor investment since you could reach over 90% easily but e.g losing just a single 10% trait by pumping 10 arcana means you could drop from 98% to 80%. It’s also how insta kill scepter spike gimmick works: Sigil of force, burning rage, bolt to the heart, tempest defense and stone splinters is x 1.05 × 1.1 × 1.25 x 1.20 × 1.1 which is 90% more damage, not just 70%. With scholar rune it’s up to 109% more or with ogre it’s 97%.

FYI:
One of the pve LH build variants, 25/10/10/25/0 uses burning rage, bolt to the heart, stone splinter, vital striking, bountiful power, force and night/slaying and scholar runes for up to 172% more damage. It’s one thing to use zerker but combining it with traits brings things to a whole new level.

Lastly,
Vulnerability is a flat multiplication e.g. 25 stacks is x1.25 not x1.01^25

/oldnews
Stack them good in pve

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

(edited by zencow.3651)

in Elementalist

magic fly.2041

With the 10% bonus damage within 600 range trait, and the 10% damage in fire attunement trait, I dealt 114 damage.
When farther out than 600 range, I dealt 103 damage.
With no damaging traits, 94 damage.

94*1.1*1.1 would be 113.74
It is rounded up to 114
If they had added to become a 20% damage bonus, I would have dealt 112.8 damage, rounded up to 113

I used ice spike twice before the last screenshot to give it 10% vulnerability. I also had both damage traits on.
94 damage, increased by 10% because of the fire attunement trait give me 103.4 damage. 103.4 damage increased by 10% because of the 600 range trait gives 113.74 damage. 113.74 damage increased by 10% because of vulnerability becomes 125.114 damage.
The screenshot shows 125 damage.
If they added up to become one big 30% bonus damage instead of multiplying my damage one bonus at a time, I would have dealt 122 damage instead.

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Bsgapollo.5364

Well this is certainly intresting. Honestly never though about it this way, so let me get this straight just to make sure. If I were to have a 10% damage trait and I would combine it with for example a 5% damage sigel and ogre runs which give an extra 4% damage I wouldn’t end up with 19% extra damage but with 19.9% extra damage, correct ?

(edited by Bsgapollo.5364)

in Elementalist

Posted by: MotherKitten.6795

MotherKitten.6795

It’s also how insta kill scepter spike gimmick works: Sigil of force, burning rage, bolt to the heart, tempest defense and stone splinters is x 1.05 × 1.1 × 1.25 x 1.20 × 1.1 which is 90% more damage, not just 70%. With scholar rune it’s up to 109% more or with ogre it’s 97%.

Is this why ppl like s/f, to you use the focus knockdown to trigger the Tempest Defense damage bonus?

The Goderators have ruined this forum for me.

in Elementalist

magic fly.2041

Well this is certainly intresting. Honestly never though about it this way, so let me get this straight just to make sure. If I were to have a 10% damage trait and I would combine it with for example a 5% dmg sigel and ogre runs which give an extra 4% damage I wouldn’t end up with 19% extra damage but with 19.9% extra damage, correct ?

My math is telling me that that would be a 20.12% bonus
1.1*1.05*1.04=1.2012

in Elementalist

Bsgapollo.5364

Well this is certainly intresting. Honestly never though about it this way, so let me get this straight just to make sure. If I were to have a 10% damage trait and I would combine it with for example a 5% dmg sigel and ogre runs which give an extra 4% damage I wouldn’t end up with 19% extra damage but with 19.9% extra damage, correct ?

My math is telling me that that would be a 20.12% bonus
1.1*1.05*1.04=1.2012

Isn’t it 20.20%? 19% + 1.2012 = 20.20(12)%, Maybe I’m overlooking something. I’ll try one on my own again, you can correct me if it’s wrong. 20% (2.2) x 10% (1.1) x 5% (1.05) x 4% (1.04) x 10% (1.1) = 2.90% extra on a total of 49% damage.

in Elementalist

magic fly.2041

Isn’t it 20.20%? 19% + 1.2012 = 20.20(12)%

Nope, 20.20 would be a total damage of 2020%
The 1.2012 is another way of writing 120.12% Meaning, a total damage increase of 20.12% from the traits and equipment.

Maybe I’m overlooking something. I’ll try one on my own again, you can correct me if it’s wrong. 20% (2.2) x 10% (1.1) x 5% (1.05) x 4% (1.04) x 10% (1.1) = 2.90% extra on a total of 49% damage.

The 49% doesn’t exist. You don’t add anything together at all. It is all multiplied.

You messed up the number on the first bonus. 20% extra damage would be 1.2
2.2 would be 120% bonus damage.

1.2*1.1*1.05*1.04*1.1 = 1.585
1.585 is 158.5% damage.
100% is normal damage.
Meaning that all those damage bonuses give a total of 58.5% bonus damage.

(edited by magic fly.2041)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Columbo.5924

Columbo.5924

Also note that bountiful power adds each bonus individually. So with 5 boons you will get slightly more than 5% damage boost. While this is barely noticeable when you have no other damage modifiers it becomes something to remember once you start stacking damage boosts.

Abaddon’s Mouth (DE)

in Elementalist

Bsgapollo.5364

Ah right, my math is so off sometimes, it’s been a while since I had to use it =p
Thanks for clearing things up Magic, also nice tip Columbo.

in Elementalist

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

It’s also how insta kill scepter spike gimmick works: Sigil of force, burning rage, bolt to the heart, tempest defense and stone splinters is x 1.05 × 1.1 × 1.25 x 1.20 × 1.1 which is 90% more damage, not just 70%. With scholar rune it’s up to 109% more or with ogre it’s 97%.

Is this why ppl like s/f, to you use the focus knockdown to trigger the Tempest Defense damage bonus?

No, focus users tend to be more pokey and use fresh air since they are more focused on staying alive rather than instant killing people. There is also only one built in KD in the form of Gale and there’s no extra burst that they have. Some do use TD but they’d be hoping Gale or Frost Bow 5 lands. It’s S/D that makes use of TD more since you have the quakeflash → kitchen or updraft→lightning strike→Phoenix and can make use of the shock auras stun for a highly powered fire grab.

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”