How is Tempest different from current Ele?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Roquen.5406

Roquen.5406

Elementalists generally attune swap a lot, so by providing you with an Overload mechanic it forces you to camp one attunement. Which I guess is considered a change in playstyle? I’ve seen this point as a big selling point but how true is it?

We already do that in PvE… As a staff ele you mainly camp fire for max DPS with the occasional swap to another for some support. This is pretty similar for other ele builds as well. If you run conjure you camp your attunes with a similar rotation, rinse and repeat.

So how is this a selling point when it’s something we already do? Then you have the aura share…which is something we could do already. Then we were given great boon share via Heat Sync…but that has been nerfed into oblivion and now it’s a might stacker (once again something we can already do).

Can someone please clarify this for me? How exactly is Tempest giving us a different playstyle, when all of the things it brought/brings were all things that we could already do at some point (before stuff was removed/nerfed/etc).

I don’t want to step on any toes as I am sure many are excited to play Tempest. But if the elite spec doesn’t provide anything really “new”, nor are any of the aspects stronger than the base Ele, then what is actually the point in playing it? I’m just genuinely curious where everyone sees the appeal.

Edit: Yes, I understand that I don’t have to play the elite spec but Ele is my favorite class and it was a nice thought to have something “new” to play after 3 years but it just doesn’t seem worth it. /shrug Thanks for listening

(edited by Roquen.5406)

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

To answer your original question: it is not different. It is simply a different way to perform the same role.

I have a feeling, however, that they will just nerf baseline ele’s support capability (via boon-share, shared cleanses/heals) so that they can claim that tempest is now different.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

I don’t want to step on any toes as I am sure many are excited to play Tempest.

I’m not sure how true that is.

Many I’ve talked to see no point at all in playing Tempest.
In fact I’ve seen so many things about tempest it does not attract my attention at all, and I have mained an Ele since Beta. (I didn’t get to test it in beta, and from what I have read/seen, I’m glad I didn’t waste my time.)

I think that Anet changed the class, and made it less versatile which is the whole reason I cared to play Ele over any other class for the past 3 years anyways.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in Elementalist

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

It sucks. That’s how it’s different.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Aura heals, aoe stun brakes and super speed, being able to use all aura types with out being locked to a wepon, a bit more stab, a more reliable whirl finisher, a moving pAoE attk and heal and cc, boon buffing, (for now) might only boon sharing, stronger protection for self, a real aoe weakness and some enduraton reg that is aoe all i can think of.
So over all tempest is a more pt aimed and a bit more def then ele. This lets tempest play more melee aimed then ele (as things stand ele can play melee as d/d or d/f but that type of game play for ele has been eroded by a great deal due to ranges classes getting higher dmg on there ranged attks i have a feeling ele d/d and d/f will be going away from viability comply after HoT).
Ele is your dmg/support ranged game play where tempest is your def/support melee.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

in Elementalist

Roquen.5406

Aura heals, aoe stun brakes and super speed, being able to use all aura types with out being locked to a wepon, a bit more stab, a more reliable whirl finisher, a moving pAoE attk and heal and cc, boon buffing, (for now) might only boon sharing, stronger protection for self, a real aoe weakness and some enduraton reg that is aoe all i can think of.
So over all tempest is a more pt aimed and a bit more def then ele. This lets tempest play more melee aimed then ele (as things stand ele can play melee as d/d or d/f but that type of game play for ele has been eroded by a great deal due to ranges classes getting higher dmg on there ranged attks i have a feeling ele d/d and d/f will be going away from viability comply after HoT).
Ele is your dmg/support ranged game play where tempest is your def/support melee.

Hrm, those sound great on paper but in practice I feel they are pretty lackluster and in many cases perform worse than their base counterpart.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

Hrm, those sound great on paper but in practice I feel they are pretty lackluster and in many cases perform worse than their base counterpart.

Not realty if you played the old d/d ele back when ranges caster could not nearly one shot you (with attking a lot realty fast not realty one shot lol). Its lets tempest cover what d/d ele use to be it also bring a new class type to get game the healer type. It may not be fun to you (to a lot of ppl if your not seeing big numbers you cant have fun) but for others it is.

Any way the question is how tempest is different.

in Elementalist

Roquen.5406

—snip—

Not realty if you played the old d/d ele back when ranges caster could not nearly one shot you (with attking a lot realty fast not realty one shot lol). Its lets tempest cover what d/d ele use to be it also bring a new class type to get game the healer type. It may not be fun to you (to a lot of ppl if your not seeing big numbers you cant have fun) but for others it is.

I feel that you are focusing on the damage aspect. It’s just that IMO, the Tempest doesn’t do anything differently than before. Ele could frontline back in the day, especially before stability changes. We had Aura Sharing, awesome support, etc…etc… I think it’s a bit lame to remove something then add it back in and call it new (which they’ve done slightly with other classes as well) and that’s kind of what it feels like here.

Hell, in sPvP Ele’s have pretty much had the same d/d cele cantrip build forever. A bunker/support build.

That and it seems like it lacks a good chunk of synergy (which I’m not sure they are addressing completely), which leaves the spec feeling as if it’s all over the place. But, that’s just my opinion… /shrug

in Elementalist

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Just because current ele can do a specific task doesn’t mean it’s unoriginal thus off the table. For instance, you mention means to stay in one attunement but just because you can sit in fire and spam skills on cooldown doesnt necessarily mean that is the desired result of such a style with little reward but holding onto power bonuses.

Granted i couldn’t say current tempest is one thing or another but it still has room to develop.

in Elementalist

Jski.6180

—snip—

I feel that you are focusing on the damage aspect. It’s just that IMO, the Tempest doesn’t do anything differently than before. Ele could frontline back in the day, especially before stability changes. We had Aura Sharing, awesome support, etc…etc… I think it’s a bit lame to remove something then add it back in and call it new (which they’ve done slightly with other classes as well) and that’s kind of what it feels like here.

Hell, in sPvP Ele’s have pretty much had the same d/d cele cantrip build forever. A bunker/support build.

That and it seems like it lacks a good chunk of synergy (which I’m not sure they are addressing completely), which leaves the spec feeling as if it’s all over the place. But, that’s just my opinion… /shrug

It dose a lot of new things eles did not have before read my list. You do understand even if you do not like the new things dose not make them any less new.

Any way the better question to ask your self is what did eles not do?