How much celestial gear is best?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

I’m starting to add some celestial gear to my ele. So far I got the Coat and legs and I’m debating whether to go full all-stats or not. Has anyone here done a spreadsheet on this yet? I am curious to know what my stats (EP, crit chance, EHP, crit. damage) if I went full all stat gear with ascended trinkets.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ptolomy.6984

Ptolomy.6984

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/
You can try it on this and tweak it to your liking

in Elementalist

Posted by: Nikkinella.8254

Nikkinella.8254

going full ascended is bad. really bad. Your power and armor will be stupidly low. I’d recommend either going full celestial armor and using cavalier accessories or something else, or a mixture of celestial and cavalier accessories and some celestial armor and knight’s or soldier gear. So far I’ve used celestial amulet, 1 ring, 1 earring, and the rest cavalier with knight’s armor and soldier daggers. It seems pretty decently balanced. I may eventually try full armor when we get ascended armor. I don’t see a point in wasting charged quartz on the exotics when we’ll need it for the ascended as well considering how much time it takes to get enough for a whole set.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

gw2buildcraft.com will calculate EP, EHP etc. for you. Very useful

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in Elementalist

Posted by: DarkStar.9016

DarkStar.9016

My new 0/10/10/20/30 build is almost all celestial. I have two knight rings. See:
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-k;4R0-V015oN-Z0;9;599JT;10;05;025-45AOo0;0o0-V19cV19c10kaed;17c-Vt5uau5vav5wa2i-HF310;4F2Coc0CP;9;9;9;9;17L0;25-6X

The theory behind this build is to build up prec, crit damage, tough, vit etc.., then use food/utility consumables that work off the high tough/vit to make up the power deficit. This build also has easy self might stacking (hitting 20 is easy) and the 100% fury uptime, which leads to good dps and a good survivalist.

(edited by DarkStar.9016)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

http://en.gw2skills.net/ might be better and is more complete. I don’t think gw2buildcraft.com has Celestial and Sentinel gears in it.

IMO celestial gear is only good for balancing out stats. Going full celestial will land you High Crit Damage(on stat sheet) but will be pretty useless because you’ll have very low Power.

I have 2x celestial daggers and a full set of celestial trinkets but I don’t use them at the same time. I mix them with Ascended Cavalier trinkets and Berserker/Valkyrie Ascended trinkets to make up for the loss in power and toughness.

in Elementalist

Ptolomy.6984

As some said full celestial wont give you alot power but in combination with other kinds it could be the finishing touch. My favorite is combining cavalier and zerker with a hint of soldier since i feel that i wont need alot of hp. The celestial is more like the topping

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

Yes, mix is the best. But Mix is something you will have to try and balance. Are there templates out there for the copying, yes. Do you really want to copy them exactly? No. Everyone has a different playstyle. Fiddling with your gear till you find the perfect mix is very fun but also very opinionated, Some say might makes up for low pow, some say pre scales better than pow, some say tuff at 1600 is fine, some say healing at 700 is comfortable, some say blah blah blah

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Celestial Gear is useful if you want to change builds often while retaining okay effectiveness between them. Otherwise is far more efficient to use stats catered toward the way you want to play. I like to play with DPS stats and some survivability so I prefer Berserker gear with a few knights pieces.

It all depends on how you want to play as to what stats you should get. I recommend thinking about that and asking for feedback.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in Elementalist

Shockwave.1230

Yes, mix is the best. But Mix is something you will have to try and balance. Are there templates out there for the copying, yes. Do you really want to copy them exactly? No. Everyone has a different playstyle. Fiddling with your gear till you find the perfect mix is very fun but also very opinionated, Some say might makes up for low pow, some say pre scales better than pow, some say tuff at 1600 is fine, some say healing at 700 is comfortable, some say blah blah blah

By the numbers precision is actually better for your Average overall deps than power.
Also by the numbers vitality is actually better for your overall effective health.

That said, this is only partly a numbers game. Your overall build, skill, and playstyle are important too.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Celestial gear is best used as complementary gear to min-max your stats, and not used as your main stat combo of choise unless you have accumulated passive + %damage increases or taken sigils, runes or traits that compensate the low damage stats (especially power) you will have.
The general norm would be for you to use just a couple pieces to compensate a small deficiency in several stats without sacrificing much damage. Either way, with so many factors to take into account that’s not even for sure.

in Elementalist

Julie Yann.5379

I was more curious about the numbers, not sure what I want to do with this ele yet and I like to experiment. I must have made a dozen build/gear/accessoires for my warrior and guardian each. ATM I got celest coat, pants, amulet, and rings, cavalier back, PPV 7% crit accessories, and zerker everything else. 0-10-0-30-30 staff build for WvW. Since the ele is very versatile I was thinking that all-stats would make it good at everything but not great at anything which is what Anet was going for with the ele which might be an advantage since there is no real weak spot to exploit.

(edited by Julie Yann.5379)

in Elementalist

Shockwave.1230

There’s always going to be a better piece of gear than celestial to use than celestial to boost your stats.

From the perspective of character strength celestial is optimal at nothing, therefore it’s use would be a budget way to be somewhat effective at whatever build you choose to run.

No matter what with celestial you are losing attribute points when you use it. You always lose points to healing power, better spent on toughness or vitality for survival. And you will lose points to condition damage (except in PvP, where condition damage is useful), when it could be spent on either power, precision, or prowess.

in Elementalist

Shockwave.1230

I was more curious about the numbers, not sure what I want to do with this ele yet and I like to experiment. I must have made a dozen build/gear/accessoires for my warrior and guardian each. ATM I got celest coat, pants, amulet, and rings, cavalier back, PPV 7% crit accessories, and zerker everything else. 0-10-0-30-30 staff build for WvW. Since the ele is very versatile I was thinking that all-stats would make it good at everything but not great at anything which is what Anet was going for with the ele which might be an advantage since there is no real weak spot to exploit.

If you want a stat combination to boost your overall character effectiveness, mix knight’s, berserker’s, and valkyrie. I would always lean more towards berserker’s if you have the skill to pull it off well, because the design of the game is more supportive of dropping opponant’s as quickly as possible.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

It would be personal preference tbh. Unless you value every single stat offered by celestial I wouldn’t go full celestial.

To get your EP you have to factor in any damage modifiers you have like +10% damage while in 600 range. Which means if you want someone to get your effective power you have to give them your build.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in Elementalist

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

The only thing celestial gear accomplishes for our class is making us mediocre across the board.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

http://en.gw2skills.net/ might be better and is more complete. I don’t think gw2buildcraft.com has Celestial and Sentinel gears in it.

IMO celestial gear is only good for balancing out stats. Going full celestial will land you High Crit Damage(on stat sheet) but will be pretty useless because you’ll have very low Power.

I have 2x celestial daggers and a full set of celestial trinkets but I don’t use them at the same time. I mix them with Ascended Cavalier trinkets and Berserker/Valkyrie Ascended trinkets to make up for the loss in power and toughness.

Yea you gotta manually punch in the numbers into gw2buildcraft cause it hasn’t been updated in many, many months.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Wolfaen.9461

Wolfaen.9461

The only thing celestial gear accomplishes for our class is making us mediocre across the board.

which is what we are with any gear..

[Wolf] Wolfaen
Elementalist | Ranger | JQ

in Elementalist

Posted by: sweetmesquite.5024

sweetmesquite.5024

How much is best? None, because eeew Celestial gear.

Raenia—Elementalist
PUNCH STONEFIST—Warrior
Skera Veidhimadhr—Necromancer

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

With the build I run and rune/infusion options I have chosen my full celestial stats look like the picture below.

Like some others have said because of our native squishy nature the 1547 toughness is a smidgen low and I know most like to run with 2500 armor as a nice round number. but the missing 43 doesn’t seem like it would be that big a deal.

Where the major problem seems to come is that 1468 power.It is quite low. the question is whether the increase in crit, condition damage, and crit power compensate enough for the loss.

Adding, in battle buffs
Fury
Plate of steak and asparagus
Hardened sharpening stone
9x-15x might
25x bloodlust

This puts my Power at 1675 base and 2250-2450 (9x-15x) in battle.
And my condition damage at 911-1121 (9x-15x) in battle.
With 55% Crit chance at 80% crit damage that is nothing to sneeze at.

Like I said the real question is whether the increase in crit, condition damage, and crit power compensate enough for the loss to power. from what I see so far, the answer is a definite and resounding, “Maybe.”

All the other stats with this however look great, amazing even. what I like about how the stats look now is that so many of our high DPS skills are a combo of direct medium direct damage and high condition damage. In big group PvE (especially against world bosses that cant be crit on anyways) this isn’t going to do so well because of the problems with conditions. But in dungeons, and WvW the stats are looking pretty good.

I am personally making a full set to test things and have the option to swap in gear to see what the new celestial can offer us. It looks promising because we are the only class than not only uses all the stats in every spec and weapon set, but also absolutely requires the defensive stats.

Oh yea, and here is hoping that Anet replaced Magic find with boon duration. If that happens this will be our go to set hands down.

Attachments:

in Elementalist

Posted by: DarkStar.9016

DarkStar.9016

Here are my stats (includes fury but not might – which I can stack to 20-25 easy):

Primary Stats
Health 16905 – Vitality 1526
Armor 2608 – Toughness 1688
Attack 2770 – Power 1789
Critical Hit 60% – Precision 1496

Secondary Stats
Attunement Recharge Rate 60%
Bleeding Duration 20%
Boon Duration 30%
Condition Damage 510
Critical Damage 89%
Healing Power 610
Magic find 36% (+36%)

(edited by DarkStar.9016)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

By the numbers precision is actually better for your Average overall deps than power.
Also by the numbers vitality is actually better for your overall effective health.

That said, this is only partly a numbers game. Your overall build, skill, and playstyle are important too.

AYe. Here is a pre vs pow graph, with pow linear vs pre

Attachments:

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in Elementalist

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

I would say the answer to your question op, depends primarily on the type of build you are running and what’s your main focus with the profession. For some builds/focus 1-3 pieces are best. For others could be most or their entire gear set while for others like the ones I run 0 celestial gears/trinkets are beneficial.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Elementalist

Julie Yann.5379

I would say the answer to your question op, depends primarily on the type of build you are running and what’s your main focus with the profession. For some builds/focus 1-3 pieces are best. For others could be most or their entire gear set while for others like the ones I run 0 celestial gears/trinkets are beneficial.

The feeling I got while leveling this toon is that it is better at being mediocre at everything. If I went to much in power/prec I got real squishy, if I went to much in tough/vit the only thing I did any damage too were rabbits. That’s why the idea of celestial gear was appealing, it’s just an overall buff to everything. The only stats I don’t like on it are condi. damage and MF. Maybe I can mix something that will give me the same results without the MF and Condi.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

The feeling I got while leveling this toon is that it is better at being mediocre at everything. If I went to much in power/prec I got real squishy, if I went to much in tough/vit the only thing I did any damage too were rabbits. That’s why the idea of celestial gear was appealing, it’s just an overall buff to everything. The only stats I don’t like on it are condi. damage and MF. Maybe I can mix something that will give me the same results without the MF and Condi.

You cant really get those numbers outside of celestial because it gives so much more stats than any other gear. If you are looking for 3 or 4 main stats Celestial will not be optimal. But once you cross into 5-7 stats nothing can beat it, because it totals more than any other gear.

Also unless you are Scepter/Focus (and even then the conditions are fairly good) Half of our damage in pretty much every build comes from our conditions with nearly every high damage fire or earth spell doing double or more condition damage than direct damage. Having that passive condition damage increase is great.

As for MF I wouldn’t worry too much about that now. It’s more of a bonus 8th stat for now. But it’s going away soon. Hopefully the compensation stat will be boon duration. *crosses fingers*

(edited by Lokki.1092)

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

That’s why you have to obtain a good balance stat around your main area of focus and on offense/defense stats. With all celestial you will be from low to ok at everything but great at nothing.

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

You cant really get those numbers outside of celestial because it gives so much more stats than any other gear. If you are looking for 3 or 4 main stats Celestial will not be optimal. But once you cross into 5-7 stats nothing can beat it, because it totals more than any other gear.

Also unless you are Scepter/Focus (and even then the conditions are fairly good) Half of our damage in pretty much every build comes from our conditions with nearly every high damage fire or earth spell doing double or more condition damage than direct damage. Having that passive condition damage increase is great.

As for MF I wouldn’t worry too much about that now. It’s more of a bonus 8th stat for now. But it’s going away soon. Hopefully the compensation stat will be boon duration. crosses fingers

With burst non glass cannon builds condition dmg is insignificant.

in Elementalist

Shockwave.1230

I have to admit, full celestial with all ruby mods on armor and trinkets does surprise. Looking at the numbers compared to full berserker has converted me. Almost 70% increases in overall effective health ((1+Damage Reduction) x Health) and only around a 25% reduction in overall damage. It actually seems kind of unreal.

in Elementalist

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

The only Celestial piece I always carry with me and which I find to be kind of OP is the headgear.
1% more critical damage than the berseker is enough for me to trade that power and small precision loss with toughness, vitality and, why not, healing. Condition Damage is a bonus.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Elementalist

sweetmesquite.5024

I have to admit, full celestial with all ruby mods on armor and trinkets does surprise. Looking at the numbers compared to full berserker has converted me. Almost 70% increases in overall effective health ((1+Damage Reduction) x Health) and only around a 25% reduction in overall damage. It actually seems kind of unreal.

Why would you do that? Reduced damage output means things die more slowly, increasing the damage you take in the long run. Twenty-five percent is a LOT.

Raenia—Elementalist
PUNCH STONEFIST—Warrior

in Elementalist

Posted by: spalt.6938

spalt.6938

The only Celestial piece I always carry with me and which I find to be kind of OP is the headgear.
1% more critical damage than the berseker is enough for me to trade that power and small precision loss with toughness, vitality and, why not, healing. Condition Damage is a bonus.

The chest and pants also have 1% more crit than zerker, by the way.

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

Its kind of op because its 20 to all stats? heh. OP just gets thrown around these days it seems.

I bet a celestial headpiece is kind of OP in a condition build too because condition damage scales soooo well /sarcasm

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

Its kind of op because its 20 to all stats? heh. OP just gets thrown around these days it seems.

I bet a celestial headpiece is kind of OP in a condition build too because condition damage scales soooo well /sarcasm

I said “kinda OP”.

The chest and pants also have 1% more crit than zerker, by the way.

Yes, but you lose way more “main” attributes compared to the helm.
With the headpiece, assuming zerker gear, you lose 25 power and 12 precision, but gain 1% more Crit Dmg (which alone could compensate the lack in power), 20 toughness, 20 vit, 20 healing power, which are all good stats to an Ele.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Elementalist

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

What do you gain and what do you lose?

I play double dagger. Going Celestial makes me lose Power and Toughness for a little more Crit, Crit Damage, Healing and Condition damage.

Dagger main hand is terrible with conditions. The increase in crit and crit damage doesn’t offset the loss of power. Not by a longshot. So I’m basically trading toughness for healing? Pointless. Just like Celestial gear. Totally pointless.

Might be useful for a scepter user maybe.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I’m going to wait for ascended armor and weapons to come out before deciding whether to go full celestial or only partly. I’m thinking it might be worthwhile to go full if power reaches a certain point with the average might stacks.

in Elementalist

Posted by: arka.8456

arka.8456

I personally think celestial gear is perfect for a staff ele, the condition damage helps a staple of staff ele comboes; eruption a well as flame burst. Healing power helps water attunement a lot and power/crit helps fire and air attunement. But this is my preference, i also simply hate the notion of switching to an attunment and switching out as fast as possible simply because I’m not specced for it for when performing the attunement dance.

If they replaced each % of mf with a 1/2% condi duration and 1/2% boon duration it would truly be perfect.

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

I’m also just waiting till they remove the MF stat. If they boost up all the stats in exchange for removing it and don’t add something else to it that would make it a lot better. If they add boon duration, even better. I can remove my boon duration runes and put in either full melandru or full hoelbrak runes to make up for the loss in power or toughness and still get a decent boost to other stats and have some decent defense against conditions on top of that from the runes. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for boon duration. Then a full armor set will be worth it. right now it’s not worth it. I do better with a mixture of knight’s, soldier’s and cleric’s armor with a few celestial and cavalier trinkets. Personally I wish you could remove a stat in order to make all the others higher. I’d gladly drop the condition damage stat to make the others slightly higher.

in Elementalist

Posted by: kirtar.8453

kirtar.8453

going full ascended is bad. really bad. Your power and armor will be stupidly low. I’d recommend either going full celestial armor and using cavalier accessories or something else, or a mixture of celestial and cavalier accessories and some celestial armor and knight’s or soldier gear. So far I’ve used celestial amulet, 1 ring, 1 earring, and the rest cavalier with knight’s armor and soldier daggers. It seems pretty decently balanced. I may eventually try full armor when we get ascended armor. I don’t see a point in wasting charged quartz on the exotics when we’ll need it for the ascended as well considering how much time it takes to get enough for a whole set.

Why wouldn’t you go full ascended trinkets? Unless you need to mix stats (in a combination not available in ascended) doing something like soldiers with ruby jewels, ascended is better. Going full ascended will get you more power than going full exotic assuming equivalent stat distributions.

I assume you meant don’t go full celestial.

Goon Squad [GOON]
Maguuma

(edited by kirtar.8453)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

None.

/15char

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Elementalist

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

None.

/15char

Any reason you think that?

in Elementalist

sweetmesquite.5024

None.

/15char

Probably because the decrease in offensive stats isn’t worth what you gain otherwise.

Raenia—Elementalist
PUNCH STONEFIST—Warrior

(edited by sweetmesquite.5024)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

None.

/15char

Because you only need two things in PvE:

1 – DPS (which better in berserker gear).
2 – Dodges (which are not affected by celestial stats).

Therefore —-—> Celestial is sub-par.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Elementalist

LightningBlaze.4913

None.

/15char

Because you only need two things in PvE:

1 – DPS (which better in berserker gear).
2 – Dodges (which are not affected by celestial stats).

Therefore —-—> Celestial is sub-par.

Well said. For pve full zerk is what I would always recommend regardless of the dungeon you are doing,

in Elementalist

Nikkinella.8254

Why wouldn’t you go full ascended trinkets? Unless you need to mix stats (in a combination not available in ascended) doing something like soldiers with ruby jewels, ascended is better. Going full ascended will get you more power than going full exotic assuming equivalent stat distributions.

I assume you meant don’t go full celestial.

yeah I didn’t even realize that till now. I meant full celestial. Of course you’d want full ascended haha.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Dresden.1736

Dresden.1736

If you do the math, full Celestial in the hands of a good player is better than a lot of the mix and match. The 2400 attack and armor doesn’t look that inspiring on the surface, but if you’re worth your weight as an Ele, you’ll be in perma-Fury and perma-Might(25), and that significantly boosts your DPS.

You should be sitting around 70%-75% Crit Chance and 90%-100% Crit Damage, depending on what Upgrade Components you decided on throughout your gear. That allows you those beautiful 10k+ hits AND you get the benefit of good HP, Condition damage, and Healing.

in Elementalist

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

If you do the math, full Celestial in the hands of a good player is better than a lot of the mix and match. The 2400 attack and armor doesn’t look that inspiring on the surface, but if you’re worth your weight as an Ele, you’ll be in perma-Fury and perma-Might(25), and that significantly boosts your DPS.

You should be sitting around 70%-75% Crit Chance and 90%-100% Crit Damage, depending on what Upgrade Components you decided on throughout your gear. That allows you those beautiful 10k+ hits AND you get the benefit of good HP, Condition damage, and Healing.

Power and weapon attack are calculated separately. The damage formula is Skill coefficientxpowerxweapon damage/(Enemy Armor). You’ll see a huge direct damage reduction because of the drop in power, not the drop in power + attack as you seem to be suggesting. Condition damage hardly makes up for it in a PvE setting where conditions drown eachother out. Crit chance and crit damage scale off of power, so while they seem high on paper, they are only as effective as power which is low.

This is just kludge math, but the difference between power from celestial and power from zerkers/valk/soldiers is around 473 (1745-1272) which equates to a flat 28% drop in direct damage, roughly 20% if you factor in might stacks. Factoring in crits, the difference in precision between valk and soldiers is 22%, which equates to 29% (.22 × 130%) average damage increase of base damage.

You’re better off running zerkers with a bit of knights, sacrificing very little attack and crit damage for a significant boost in survivability, and you can get both stats rather cheaply now thanks to badges.

Edit: forgot to factor in weapon stats, but since it’s a % difference the results should be roughly the same.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

in Elementalist

Ptolomy.6984

Use celestial as additive not as main dish

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Coat, Legs, and Masque are the best stat-wise, and due to having the most crit damage complement zerker gear the best. Those are the only 3 I am using currently.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

(edited by Jabberwock.9014)