How will the patch notes change the meta?

in Elementalist

Posted by: Guns and Giblets.9308

Guns and Giblets.9308

Unfortunately, I have to head to bed and work all day tomorrow before I can read the patch notes in any detail, but what are your opinions on how these changes affect the current Elementalist build meta? Is Staff now viable? Has D/D taken a hit? What about Scepter? Etc.

Any and all informed discussion would be most welcome.

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.” -Jewish Proverb

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

0/30/0/20/20 will become popular for burst S/D builds or a variation with 30 points in earth.

0/0/20/30/30 will be the new full bunker for d/d. I don’t know about condition builds with the new 30 point trait in earth 10% conversion to condition damage is also good for condi builds.

Staff is getting buffs with after cast’s reduced allowing you to put more skills down faster.

D/D standard 0/10/0/30/30 will still be viable it took a slight damage hit with the nerf to bountiful power but it will still be good. I don’t see much changing as far as d/d is concerned. It is a nerf to damage but 5% total down from 10% doesn’t break the build if we assume 5 boons usually.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

0/0/20/30/30 is 10 points too many

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

in Elementalist

Posted by: ARM.3912

ARM.3912

Taking away two stun breakers from d/d, IMO that is the final nail in the coffin since the class cant survive without mobility.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Arheundel.6451

Arheundel.6451

still nobody running fire..sigh

in Elementalist

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Taking away two stun breakers from d/d, IMO that is the final nail in the coffin since the class cant survive without mobility.

Nobody is taking stunbreakers away. They are just being redistributed to different skills so builds that aren’t completely cantrip focused aren’t royally screwed whenever they get hit by a stun.

in Elementalist

Posted by: hharry.1967

hharry.1967

Seems like they added the stunbreakers to random skills or the worst skills around. Man cleansing fire stun breaker shouldnt be removed, remove the armor of earth one -.-

in Elementalist

ARM.3912

Nobody is taking stunbreakers away. They are just being redistributed to different skills so builds that aren’t completely cantrip focused aren’t royally screwed whenever they get hit by a stun.

By definition they are taking stunbreakers away. You would have to be an Anet to run a glyph that gives you burning(already in fire), weakness(already in air), chill(already in water) and cripple(already in earth). If you want to run a glyph that gives you what you already have, and lose out on a teleport that actually keeps you alive be my guest. Oh, and kiss earth 5 goodbye. Since you are running glyphs now good luck landing that one.

in Elementalist

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

so no damage buff…..

No pve split no help to pve ele….

I wonder when they will realize they are Killing this game and that they cannot live without pve platyers that are paying most of their salaries while being treated as class C players.

Happy to have rerolled to mesmer ……what i can say is that anet wants to kill this class since BEFORE release….

I suggest other to go on and quit the profession …..it take too long to me to do that but nerf after nerf with no pve in mind makes clear what s happening.

Reroll a Golden child class they will never be hurt badly and even when absurdly OP will be preserved mostly.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

(edited by LordByron.8369)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Malcastus.6240

Malcastus.6240

If the leaks are true:

If they will indeed move stunbreaks to Glyph of Elemental Power and Signet of Air, I see little difference in usage of utility skills. G.o.E.P. is a buff you would do well casting before each fight, not waiting to use it until stunned. Adding a stunbreak is counter-productive as long as it is an offensive buff. If it gave defensive boons (fire=might, air=swiftness, earth=protection and water=regeneration) depending on attunement, it would work and be used.

Signet of air is fine, but it won’t draw many people towards signets I think, as they have no interesting, really useful actives and basically no condition removal. Signet of Water passive isn’t worth the use, and its active should be to remove several conditions at once, not chill someone for a brief time. In the end, people will have to rely heavily on water traits, EA, Cleansing Fire and the likes and head back into bunker. Signet and Glyph builds certainly won’t be viable in PvP yet.

When it comes to GC, it looks promising. More damage sources here and there and air attunement resets for disengages/stuns, which will be needed. However, the fire tree won’t see much usage in PvP, as air has all the good traits.

If you can reset the air tree every five seconds on criticals, there will be many people staying in air for all the control and movement spells I imagine. While I love the idea, I see it potentially causing an uproar in the community. Imagine you have access to Lightning Touch (weaken), Shocking Aura, RTL (for attacks or quick disengages) and Updraft every five seconds, and you are fighting a melee opponent. At least you can’t access Tempest Defense and Fresh Air, for added 40% damage on stunned and downed opponents.

Lava Tomb I see come into play more, even though people can easily stomp you from outside the field (sadly), therefore making it slightly redundant in the end. Added damage to downstate is fine though, as GC will be lying on the ground often. Now if the AoE was increased as with Blasting Staff, things would be different.

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

so no damage buff…..

Did you read the leaked notes? There are damage buffs, as in reduced cast times, several damage increasing traits etc.

If these are true is another story.. Personally I only believe the official statements so far.

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

I doubt they will do much with the fire tree. It needs synergy with glyphs, signets etc.

in Elementalist

Ehecatl.9172

By definition they are taking stunbreakers away. You would have to be an Anet to run a glyph that gives you burning(already in fire), weakness(already in air), chill(already in water) and cripple(already in earth). If you want to run a glyph that gives you what you already have, and lose out on a teleport that actually keeps you alive be my guest. Oh, and kiss earth 5 goodbye. Since you are running glyphs now good luck landing that one.

Lightning Flash is still in the game. It’s not a stunbreaker anymore, but it still teleports you. If the leaked notes are true they also increased the damage of it by 50% (Turning it into a heavier burst to add to a burst combo) and reduced the cooldown to 40 seconds (Meaning you can use it much more frequently, almost matching Churning Earth’s cooldown). Seems to me they’ve tailored the skill specifically toward landing Churning Earth.

D/D is still far, far, far away from being unusable. Just now your solid cantrip set up isn’t as loaded with stunbreakers as before.

I can still survive pretty darn well without having three stunbreakers on my utility bar. I’m not seeing what the massive problem is.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

If the leaks are true:

If they will indeed move stunbreaks to Glyph of Elemental Power and Signet of Air, I see little difference in usage of utility skills. G.o.E.P. is a buff you would do well casting before each fight, not waiting to use it until stunned. Adding a stunbreak is counter-productive as long as it is an offensive buff. If it gave defensive boons (fire=might, air=swiftness, earth=protection and water=regeneration) depending on attunement, it would work and be used.

Signet of air is fine, but it won’t draw many people towards signets I think, as they have no interesting, really useful actives and basically no condition removal. Signet of Water passive isn’t worth the use, and its active should be to remove several conditions at once, not chill someone for a brief time. In the end, people will have to rely heavily on water traits, EA, Cleansing Fire and the likes and head back into bunker. Signet and Glyph builds certainly won’t be viable in PvP yet.

When it comes to GC, it looks promising. More damage sources here and there and air attunement resets for disengages/stuns, which will be needed. However, the fire tree won’t see much usage in PvP, as air has all the good traits.

If you can reset the air tree every five seconds on criticals, there will be many people staying in air for all the control and movement spells I imagine. While I love the idea, I see it potentially causing an uproar in the community. Imagine you have access to Lightning Touch (weaken), Shocking Aura, RTL (for attacks or quick disengages) and Updraft every five seconds, and you are fighting a melee opponent. At least you can’t access Tempest Defense and Fresh Air, for added 40% damage on stunned and downed opponents.

Lava Tomb I see come into play more, even though people can easily stomp you from outside the field (sadly), therefore making it slightly redundant in the end. Added damage to downstate is fine though, as GC will be lying on the ground often. Now if the AoE was increased as with Blasting Staff, things would be different.

it resets the Attunenment-CD not the spells in it … that would be totally OP (perma-Shocking Aura, perma-RTL, perma-Updraft lol) still quite good if you run with Scepter (nice Insta-DMG via 15P Air-Trait and Spell 2 from Scepter every 5 Seconds) – sounds funny in combination with the 10% Crit-DMG buff from Arcane Spells (20s CD on Arcane Blast with 100% Crit-Chance) som nice synergy there – great idea Anet. This could also make the obligatory 30P in arcana redundant.
I would like to see similar things to other elements though

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Primernova.5791

Primernova.5791

Lightning Flash is still in the game. It’s not a stunbreaker anymore, but it still teleports you. If the leaked notes are true they also increased the damage of it by 50% (Turning it into a heavier burst to add to a burst combo) and reduced the cooldown to 40 seconds (Meaning you can use it much more frequently, almost matching Churning Earth’s cooldown). Seems to me they’ve tailored the skill specifically toward landing Churning Earth.

D/D is still far, far, far away from being unusable. Just now your solid cantrip set up isn’t as loaded with stunbreakers as before.

I can still survive pretty darn well without having three stunbreakers on my utility bar. I’m not seeing what the massive problem is.

I’ve never used a super heavy cantrip build but I have always used Lightning Flash as a blink and stun break. I also have the passive earth shield traited but I would not want to rely on that. Also, like 90% of other Elementalists, I have never even attempted to use Lightning Flash for damage! Take all the damage off, leave the new cooldown and put the stun break back. Same with RTL, 15 sec CD (40 is just…) , no damage and same range. Zippy and mobile fun, like I remember my Ele, a long time ago.

in Elementalist

Posted by: luxen.8376

luxen.8376

0/30/0/20/20 will become popular for burst S/D builds or a variation with 30 points in earth.

0/0/20/30/30 will be the new full bunker for d/d. I don’t know about condition builds with the new 30 point trait in earth 10% conversion to condition damage is also good for condi builds.

Staff is getting buffs with after cast’s reduced allowing you to put more skills down faster.

D/D standard 0/10/0/30/30 will still be viable it took a slight damage hit with the nerf to bountiful power but it will still be good. I don’t see much changing as far as d/d is concerned. It is a nerf to damage but 5% total down from 10% doesn’t break the build if we assume 5 boons usually.

if we could use 80 trait points maybe!

Luxen – Engineer, Elementalist & Warrior

in Elementalist

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Fresh air is pretty great to mix up the playstyle, though it does seem tuned for scepter, I can’t wait to use it.

The staff buffs are subtle but being able to cast that much faster (a quarter second on so many spells is much bigger than it looks) will allow more pressure and responsiveness.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Elementalist

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

People who think Fresh Air resets the cooldowns of all your air abilities, that’s clearly not what it does. It only recharges the attunement. Otherwise, yes, that would be completely insane.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Thyophelis.8035

Thyophelis.8035

o don t worry you ll soon find out, when you re eating hundert blades and the new mesmer hasted shatter spike including a 2500+dmg buff.

most classes got buffs for the already existing builds. Only Eles got nerfed in the vital parts… survivability.
All warriors got a 5 sec reduced cooldown on their heals.

Aurona- fugly white bark sylvarie ele
MS-Mondsucht, pure small scale forever !
Kodash-we thrife on outmanned

in Elementalist

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

This is all theory, guys:

1. S/D Valkyrie Eles with more burst but less utility/ defense; Possibility for S/D Zerker Eles

Fresh Air is going to be meta for valkyrie burster eles, and maybe even open up to a zerker air ele build (all for Scepter). I’m not sure if arcane lightning is going to be better for them compared to +10% damage while in air, though. But eles will be able to invest less in arcana (losing cleansing water, boon duration and utility) for more precision, more critical damage, more air burst and more vulnerability on critical. Add in Signet of Air instead of Mist Form, and they’ll be able to roam as well.

We can go for a more drastic route.

2. Suicidal S/D Zerkers

30 fire (with new Persisting Flames trait, new Lava Tomb trait, don’t know what to put in slot 2), and Bolt to the Heart, the new Arcane Lightning and the new Fresh Air OR the new Tempest Defense.

Ring of Fire → Arcane Wave → Phoenix → Switch to earth → Earthquake → Switch to air → Burst with +20% damage (if you have Tempest Defense), while having +10% critical damage and +20% critical chance from fury. With Berzerker gear, that’s perma 70% critical chance and about 70% or more critical damage, and you’ll deal 20% more damage when they strike you or when you use earthquake, or you’ll activate air attunement twice of even three times very quickly.

You’ll down your enemy fast, you might get downed fast, but you’ll still create a strong Lava Font at your location (you should be at melee range) and deal good damage while in downed.

3. D/D Aura Valkyrie Bursters with Tempest Defense

30 air for Zephyr’s Boon, Bolt to the Heart and Tempest Defense. 10 air for protection on auras. 20 water for healing and 20 arcane for vigor on critical and elemental attunement.

You’ll have four auras, two of them that can stun, which will allow you to deal 20% more damage while having good protection, vigor, fury and swiftness. You can heal nicely, and invest 10 less points in arcane (keeping elemental attunement) for 10 more in water for aura sharing (giving stun aura, protection, fury, swiftness, frost armor and elemental attunement’s effects to your party) or even override EA for faster rezzing with auras. Enemies should get stunned a lot more often if you are alongside a teamate – make sure they bring stuns or KDs too.

4. Possible condition build

I’m unsure about this one, but involves 30 in earth for the improved Stone Splinters (wrong name? Serrated Stones?), the new Diamond Skin, and – maybe – the new Rock Solid, the new Obsidian Focus, whatever. Not sure if it’ll be good enough.

5. Possible signet build

Same as above, has Signet of Restoration, Signet of Air (stun break), and not sure what else. 30 in earth for signet mastery (optional, yes) or rock solid or even serrated stones, written in stone, and protection on aura; 20 in fire for fire auras and +5% damage versus burning foes, 10 in air for zephyr’s boon, 10 in arcane for elemental attunement. Possibly a burst/ condition hybrid build with fury, +damage for conditions, +precision/ burning (signet of fire) and chill/ immobilize from water, lots of might that works well with both.

in Elementalist

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

I wonder when they will realize they are Killing this game and that they cannot live without pve platyers that are paying most of their salaries while being treated as class C players.

Thanks for good laugh, included restof the post + post history.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Israel.7056

Israel.7056

I’m interested to try a burstier build with staff or s/d and more points in Air.

My current bunker build is actually getting buffed since I’ve been using Signet of Air for a while. Before I only popped it to cover a stomps but now I’ll be able to break stuns with it as well which is nice. Don’t think Rock Solid will be worth trading for Geomancer’s Freedom but I might get Signet Mastery so my Signet of Air and Signet of Restoration Cd’s will be reduced.

Also Windborne Dagger looks interesting now.

I should note that I’m talking about WvW here not spvp/tpvp.

(edited by Israel.7056)

in Elementalist

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

5. Possible signet build

Same as above, has Signet of Restoration, Signet of Air (stun break), and not sure what else. 30 in earth for signet mastery (optional, yes) or rock solid or even serrated stones, written in stone, and protection on aura; 20 in fire for fire auras and +5% damage versus burning foes, 10 in air for zephyr’s boon, 10 in arcane for elemental attunement. Possibly a burst/ condition hybrid build with fury, +damage for conditions, +precision/ burning (signet of fire) and chill/ immobilize from water, lots of might that works well with both.

30 Fire (Internal Fire, Fire’s Embrace, Pyromancer’s Puissance)
30 Earth (New Serrated, Geomancer’s Alacrity, Written in Stone)
10 Water (Cleansing Wave)
Ether Renewal
Signet of Fire / Signet of Earth
Signet of Water
Signet of Air
<whatever elite>
Carrion Armor – 2 Sup Afflicted, 2 Sup Mad King, 2 Sup Lyssa
Carrion Jewelry
Carrion Scepter – Agony? (10% bleed duration)
Carrion Dagger – Battle
Rare Veggie Pizza – Food

Lots of Raw Power. You will have tons of Might stacks from Fire and it’s various blast finishers. You can even stack 14 stacks of Might without even being in combat.

Crazy condition durations at 90% duration. We’re talking Signet of Fire burning for 17 seconds for 700 damage a tick. Stone Shards (Earth 1) can build up to 20 stacks of Bleed. So much condition output that in initial testing I’ve been able to overwhelm a 0/10/0/30/30 D/D elementalist’s condition removal. Signet of Water alone is an 8s Chill on demand. Signet of Earth is a colossal 5-6s Immobilize.

Tanky defenses. This build gives me over 19000 HP and really good Armor (Rock Barrier) and Toughness (more available if you go with Signet of Earth). The new stun breaker from Air means you’ll finally have that as an option which was the entire thing holding the build back. Condition management is done via Water (which removes a condition) plus Cleansing Wave in Water and passive removal with Signet of Water. The huge duration Chill from Frost Aura really destroys opponent’s offense as well. RTL is also available for escaping.

The benefits of keeping Signets active (Toughness/Precision/Condition Removal/Speed) is far greater than getting 10% of your Toughness into condition damage which at most is going to be around 120-200.

Staff is also a viable alternative as there are many conditions spread out in each tree and you have the Raw Power to not be useless too. This way when you’re in a Keep/Tower you whip out the staff and outside you bust out the Scepter.

Initial Testing has proven a ton of fun and a complete change in pace from standard Elementalist game play.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

in Elementalist

Posted by: Frostedblaze.9017

Frostedblaze.9017

I’ve never used a super heavy cantrip build but I have always used Lightning Flash as a blink and stun break. I also have the passive earth shield traited but I would not want to rely on that. Also, like 90% of other Elementalists, I have never even attempted to use Lightning Flash for damage! Take all the damage off, leave the new cooldown and put the stun break back. Same with RTL, 15 sec CD (40 is just…) , no damage and same range. Zippy and mobile fun, like I remember my Ele, a long time ago.

Lightning flash won’t break stuns, but you should still be able to use it while stunned. You’ll just have to lightning flash far enough away for the stun to wear off before anyone can get to you. That’s how most of the other classes blinks work at the moment, so I’d assume that’s what ours will be changed to.

However, if it’s not usable while stunned, I’d be pretty upset.

Aiden Frost
Check out my S/D Ele tPvP guide: http://intothemists.com/guides/202-aiden_frosts_sd_sustain_burst

in Elementalist

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Lightning flash won’t break stuns, but you should still be able to use it while stunned. You’ll just have to lightning flash far enough away for the stun to wear off before anyone can get to you. That’s how most of the other classes blinks work at the moment, so I’d assume that’s what ours will be changed to.

However, if it’s not usable while stunned, I’d be pretty upset.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blink

900 range
30 second cooldown
breaks stun

Did all what Lightning Flash did, but on a better cooldown, and they still have it.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadow_Return
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Swap

Both do the same, break stun on low cooldowns, have around the same range, and are weapon skills.

There are more, but my point stands. Most classes had a teleport that stun breaks and has a cooldown on around the same amount as LF was.

I do get why they did it, I just don’t agree. I think they should have just added stun breaks to others instead of removing them from LF.

Again, this is only if these “patch notes” are real.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

Here what I think will be the new list of viable builds for ele

1) 0/30/0/20/20 s/d ele burst ele valkyrie/zerker/soldier ( tPvP/WvWvW))

2) 30/20/0/0/20 staff nuker ele zerker/valkyrie ( tPvP/hotjoin/WvWvW)

3) 0/10/0/30/30 valkyrie roamer d/d ele (hotjoin/WvWvW)

4) 0/0/30/20/20 condition/tank shaman d/d ele ( tPvP )

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

Id even say the fist one could be a decent roamer in a good 5 man group too in WvW

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

Id even say the fist one could be a decent roamer in a good 5 man group too in WvW

As 1vs1 specialist a s/d ele win over a d/d roamer, however the latter has an easier time to disengage if things start to go wrong ( water 3- earth 2 -air 3-fire 3), the s/d is a better choice for 1vs1 because of the much bigger burst and sustain ( with water trait I and water trident+cleansing wave +earth 2 rock barrier)

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

As 1vs1 specialist a s/d ele win over a d/d roamer, however the latter has an easier time to disengage if things start to go wrong ( water 3- earth 2 -air 3-fire 3), the s/d is a better choice for 1vs1 because of the much bigger burst and sustain ( with water trait I and water trident+cleansing wave +earth 2 rock barrier)

Of course. D/D has the easier time of disengaging than the S/D, while the S/D has the higher single target burst. My point was that the S/D burst could finally be viable in a 5 man havoc group in WvW, instead of taking a D/D.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

Of course. D/D has the easier time of disengaging than the S/D, while the S/D has the higher single target burst. My point was that the S/D burst could finally be viable in a 5 man havoc group in WvW, instead of taking a D/D.

Oh absolutely, got all weapons set in my bag after all at all times^^…well never get to use focus though :-(

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

Well, the focus will also be getting buffs similar to the staff’s (although to a lesser extent), but we all know those won’t be enough yet.

in Elementalist

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

The bunker build will move to 0/0/20/20/30 using rock solid, the new salt stone, and signet of air. I like signet of air before, but now its even better (it gives a little extra defense while loading up Churning earth, or can be used to help a stomp). With rock solid, we have crazy amounts of stability, which is great for stomping, riding through ether renewal, landing churning earth in pve, and everything in general (and it is shared!). Mist form might not even be necessary now with the bountiful access to stability, you can bring another utility (although mistform is still good).

in Elementalist

Posted by: CuRtoKy.8576

CuRtoKy.8576

If these leaked notes are real then the Ele meta won’t change:

0/0/20/20/30 with geomancer’s is good pre and post patch (Excala’s build)
0/10/0/30/30 still good pre and post patch with aura share (team based) or for the other good water traits
0/20/0/20/30 s/d build still good as it was before
0/30/0/20/20 or 0/30/0/30/10 s/d build is still good as it was before for 1v1 or small group encounters (2v2, 3v3). On top of that there is now a reason to use one of the grandmaster traits unlike before where you get +10% dmg in Air or -20% recharge on Air spells for your 30.

Fire is still lackluster and based on the notes there are very few changes to it compared to the other lines. Earth 30 is questionable since a s/d condi build doesn’t work really well due to the lack of condi spells outside of a few on scepter. Signet trait on earth 30 forces you to run heal signet to maximize heals due to the lost of EA. If you don’t run signet heal then you really lose out on a lot of heal compared to a player running 20 earth and 30 arcana. And you can’t use all signets on your bar because you would need something defensively like condi removals or mobility/invul (mist form/LF). 30 Earth can still work as a niched build with geomancer and rock solid.

What they need to do is to redo glyphs and conjures because at this point it isn’t useful for most players in most situations. The cooldowns are too high or they don’t add much outside of very niched situation (AC p1 frost bow). Eles don’t need more damage on silly spells like LF. This is similar to RTL 20s if it hits a target. Most people use these spells for worst case scenarios. What needs to be done is to lower cooldowns on certain utilities and give more defensive play and interesting options (like mesmer portal jukes for example) not add additional damage to utilities so that Eles can be like GC thief and just burst combo al day. Glyph of storms is a good example of something interesting but not used because the cooldown is really high for what it does.

in Elementalist

Posted by: Sabull.5670

Sabull.5670

Agree on all above. As a side note: arcane skills provide a realiable way to use Fresh air with abit lower crit chance, like valkyrie. As arcane skills always crit.

[TA]

in Elementalist

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Well, the focus will also be getting buffs similar to the staff’s (although to a lesser extent), but we all know those won’t be enough yet.

Says who?

(not meant to be rude)

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in Elementalist

Ehecatl.9172

o don t worry you ll soon find out, when you re eating hundert blades and the new mesmer hasted shatter spike including a 2500+dmg buff.

most classes got buffs for the already existing builds. Only Eles got nerfed in the vital parts… survivability.

Mist Form. Signet of Air. Armor of Earth…

… Problem solved?

Seriously. Lightning Flash isn’t the only stunbreaker we have. And it’s still a great skill with a lot of utility on a shorter cooldown than it was before. That means more maneuverability, more zapping in for a churning earth spike, and more controlling the range you’re fighting at. If you were only using this skill for the stunbreak you were seriously undervaluing it’s potential.

Other professions got buffs. Good for them. And while they may have gotten buffed more than us, that doesn’t mean we should turn up our noses at the buffs we did get. This patch is giving eles loads of buffs and a couple amazing traits that very well might give us entirely new builds. Be happy!

in Elementalist

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

If d/d is looking for extra damage as a alternative to bountiful power

Put 10 points in Earth for the new Stone splinters trait. Then you can either take a sigil of geomancy (which is basically ring of earth on weapon swap) which would give you a 8 sec bleed + 5% damage or you can go sigil of earth for a 6 sec bleed on crit(with trait) and + 5% damage.

If you want a more consistent 10% damage drop sigil of battle (10% damage > 3 stacks of might) and run sigil of earth + sigil of force with Stone splinters trait. Sigil of earth has a 2 sec icd but it should proc pretty often with the trait extending the bleed by 1 sec.

The trait should give you the +5% damage upfront like many similar traits do. Ring of earth will basically always be +10% damage if you run it with sigil of force same for churning earth. Any attack that procs the sigil of earth gets the +5% damage applied when the game says the sigil will proc and then any attack after will be +10% aslong as they are still bleeding.

Just a possibility.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in Elementalist

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I don’t think the changes listed will change much:

• 20+ arcane is still required for playability
  • 15+ water is still required for survivability
  • glyphs still suck
  • conjures still suck
  • EA is still a fair bit better than any of the GM traits
  • staff still has 19/20 AOE skills
  • sceptre still laden with crappy skills: DT, SS, fire #1, water #1

I can see S/D and signets being a little better, but survivability will be an issue.

Re-distributing the stun breakers is good.

More than anything, I would’ve expected to see trait changes that reduced the dependence of Ele on attunement CD reduction from arcane and dependence on 15+ water for sustain and condition removal, eg: Earth 30 = reset fire and earth attunements on using a signet, Air 30 = reset air and water attunements on using a glyph.

Pretty disappointing IMO if those are the real changes. I really hope they aren’t.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in Elementalist

Thyophelis.8035

… Problem solved?

Seriously. Lightning Flash isn’t the only stunbreaker we have. And it’s still a great skill with a lot of utility on a shorter cooldown than it was before. That means more maneuverability, more zapping in for a churning earth spike, and more controlling the range you’re fighting at. If you were only using this skill for the stunbreak you were seriously undervaluing it’s potential.

Other professions got buffs. Good for them. And while they may have gotten buffed more than us, that doesn’t mean we should turn up our noses at the buffs we did get. This patch is giving eles loads of buffs and a couple amazing traits that very well might give us entirely new builds. Be happy!

well, i can t stand mist form since the patch, best use of it i find is to stomp or res someone. I use Healing signet and using mistform makes me loose over 1000 hp healed, while conditions are still eating away my live, and since it s a o kitten button, you re prolly already low on live.

I may also ask how will you remove a root if it s covered by another condition? If i keep playing my ele i will still use burning flame, because of all the fotm engies out there, corrupt boon and ranger roots when i m in locked in the wrong atunement

I ve played the burster ele for a while, and it only shines to burst down some thiefes. In small scale, as soon as i see the lightning channel anymation he s priority target. Most scepter/d eles you see nowadays don t even run offensiv gear, more like hibryd gear that is abit more offensiv then a dd ele uses. ever wondered why? because their survivability is crap

But hey you guys are all welcome to test it out. We ve tryed builds since release and have found that bunker is the only way to compete with other classes. I m not sure if you remember this forums before the 0 10 0 30 30 with boon duration was published. But it was a huge whine fest and the new patch will not change anything about our survivability with more offensiv speccs, we will still rely on cantrips to survive, but 2 of em are no stunbrakers anymore. You think 300 toughness while chaneling skills is gona help you survive? well here s some news for you, spike dmg is landed together with stuns and/or with immobalize. all you will be having to avoid that dmg is mistform, after that you re toast. you really think that a blind on 4 people is gona help you survive, with 17k life and barely any toughness? you better keep smashing that dodge button.

I know what will change for me In the new META, elementalists will be pretty high on my priority target list. atm you ignore em because they will disengage and heal up. But if ele s start ignoring their cond removal, they ll die rooted to the ground.

(edited by Thyophelis.8035)

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

… Problem solved?

well, i can t stand mist form since the patch, best use of it i find is to stomp or res someone. I use Healing signet and using mistform makes me loose over 1000 hp healed, while conditions are still eating away my live, and since it s a o kitten button, you re prolly already low on live.

I may also ask how will you remove a root if it s covered by another condition? If i keep playing my ele i will still use burning flame, because of all the fotm engies out there, corrupt boon and ranger roots when i m in locked in the wrong atunement

I ve played the burster ele for a while, and it only shines to burst down some thiefes. In small scale, as soon as i see the lightning channel anymation he s priority target. Most scepter/d eles you see nowadays don t even run offensiv gear, more like hibryd gear that is abit more offensiv then a dd ele uses. ever wondered why? because their survivability is crap

But hey you guys are all welcome to test it out. We ve tryed builds since release and have found that bunker is the only way to compete with other classes. I m not sure if you remember this forums before the 0 10 0 30 30 with boon duration was published. But it was a huge whine fest and the new patch will not change anything about our survivability with more offensiv speccs, we will still rely on cantrips to survive, but 2 of em are no stunbrakers anymore. You think 300 toughness while chaneling skills is gona help you survive? well here s some news for you, spike dmg is landed together with stuns and/or with immobalize. all you will be having to avoid that dmg is mistform, after that you re toast. you really think that a blind on 4 people is gona help you survive, with 17k life and barely any toughness? you better keep smashing that dodge button.

I know what will change for me In the new META, elementalists will be pretty high on my priority target list. atm you ignore em because they will disengage and heal up. But if ele s start ignoring their cond removal, they ll die rooted to the ground.

You’re quite…disinformed

in Elementalist

Ehecatl.9172

… Problem solved?

I’ve been playing many variations of D/D and S/D burst and Staff AoE damage builds since release. Despite the long periods of time the both of them have been borderline suicidal. I’ve tried bunker and Aura Share too, but eh. Support isn’t why I picked this profession.

And if you’re using Mist Form when you’re about to die you’re using it wrong. Ideally you want to use it when the enemy stuns you and are lining up their burst. That’s when you break the stun and the whole burst is wasted entirely and you can proceed to gently float away. And I’ll likely still use Cleansing Flame as well, but not as a stunbreaker. As a condition removal when I’m running a build that’s low on condition removal. You know, the original purpose of the move.

With my S/D burst build with Knight’s amulet and Zerker jewel I had 21K health running the usual 0/20/0/20/30 build. It plus the healing was more than enough to keep me up and allow me to keep respectful damage. Enough to put down opponents. Wasn’t super awesome bursty unless someone was dumb enough to stand right in front of me when I went into fire, but it was playable.

Now the main spike build might shift to 0/30/0/20/20. If you can’t see the value of having air attunement on call every 5 seconds I have nothing more to say really.

Edit: Had to shorten your quote or it wouldn’t let me post T.T

(edited by Ehecatl.9172)

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

I would love seeing a trait in fire that involves arcane utilities, like adding a stunbreak to Arcane Shield, added damage, or some helpful thing.

in Elementalist

Malcastus.6240

Yeah, rather predictable that 0/30/0/20/20, 0/30/0/10/30 and 0/30/0/30/10 will be tested and used..

in Elementalist

Thyophelis.8035

Now the main spike build might shift to 0/30/0/20/20. If you can’t see the value of having air attunement on call every 5 seconds I have nothing more to say really.

I can see how awesome that is for the scepter burst build. I just don t value scepter much exept for pve, where dragon tooth will actualy hit something and i can might stack with it. scepter still doesn t offer much, 2 good spells and really lousy autoattack dmg. If I want range dmg I ll use my mesmer because my autoattack can actual crit for 3k+ dmg and that even @ 1200 range.

Well I don t know about your build, but you leave out 2 of the most important stats for eles, toughness and healing power. I haven t tested it, so can t comment on your experience, I play the ele completely different. with no healing power and no toughness you re taking away all the sustainability of the ele.

The other day I tested a cond. dmg build, trying to trigger burning precision(don t bother, doesn t proc as often as you need it in spvp). I had like 1300 HP i was shocked :-P But wasn t to bad, I could solo thiefs, just if 2 players came it was game over.

well I wish you all good luck, with your new and exiting builds. I ll have me some ele s on my warrior or mesmer, served on a plate.
take care

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

I can see how awesome that is for the scepter burst build. I just don t value scepter much exept for pve, where dragon tooth will actualy hit something and i can might stack with it. scepter still doesn t offer much, 2 good spells and really lousy autoattack dmg. If I want range dmg I ll use my mesmer because my autoattack can actual crit for 3k+ dmg and that even @ 1200 range.

Well I don t know about your build, but you leave out 2 of the most important stats for eles, toughness and healing power. I haven t tested it, so can t comment on your experience, I play the ele completely different. with no healing power and no toughness you re taking away all the sustainability of the ele.

The other day I tested a cond. dmg build, trying to trigger burning precision(don t bother, doesn t proc as often as you need it in spvp). I had like 1300 HP i was shocked :-P But wasn t to bad, I could solo thiefs, just if 2 players came it was game over.

well I wish you all good luck, with your new and exiting builds. I ll have me some ele s on my warrior or mesmer, served on a plate.
take care

ele burst survivability is low compared to mesmer?…gl on your mesmer you’ll need it with that glass spec, because eles can burst even more on you while having way better stats,a well played s/d burst ele is the last thing you want to go against..

Just fought against r44 champion illusionist, double lightning strike+arcane blast..his life already at 30%…he tries shatter burst , plus chaos field and temporal curtain..he thinks to have won…I use updraft while immobilized, hence avoiding all burst without using a single cantrip ( in case you didn’t know updraft skill count as a dodge XD )…I switch to fire and close range phoenix to bring home victory ( this was third time out of 4, lost one because the coward moa formed me at 40% HP….so make sure to bring always moa form with you)

…really my friend…gl on your mesmer..you’ll need it..a lot^^, whoever it may be, I devastate you with air burst, if I catch you with full scepter burst..you’re no more, I can bring full tanks down to 20% HP once they eat my full burst, I count dodges..1-2-3-4..then come my updraft – dragon tooth’s/phoenix/air burst+arcane blast, of course during those 4 counts your HP will sit on 40% due to short CD air burst and with the new GM trait…god may have mercy on your soul

(edited by Arheundel.6451)

in Elementalist

ARM.3912

You think 50% more damage on lightning flash matters? Why would it matter that you do 500 more damage in a fight if you are dead because you couldn’t move? Everyone knows an elementalist who stops moving is a dead elementalist… wait i get it now. You are a PvEr. Yeah none of this will effect your dungeons buddy. I was really talking more for the real players.

in Elementalist

Raif.9507

You think 50% more damage on lightning flash matters? Why would it matter that you do 500 more damage in a fight if you are dead because you couldn’t move? Everyone knows an elementalist who stops moving is a dead elementalist… wait i get it now. You are a PvEr. Yeah none of this will effect your dungeons buddy. I was really talking more for the real players.

Personally, I use LF quite often as an offensive ability than defensive. I use it a lot to land Burning Speed/Churning Earth, and the loss of the stunbreaker (if this is the real patchnotes) while it sucks and makes NO sense isn’t as bad as you make it out to be. You can still LF away to 900 range and the stun will (hopefully) run off to let you get further away. You can still use it to get away from lined up bursts that normally come after the stun or to get out of the way of a melee train.

in Elementalist

DiogoSilva.7089

It could end up being a pretty sucky build, but I can envision a suicidal s/d build with 30 fire and air, with Fresh Air, Lava Tomb and Persisting Flames. You would basically burst with air, switch to another attunement (fire?), apply fury to yourself, burst higher with phoenix and fire grab, switch back to air, burst, all in few seconds and in zerker gear, for massive area damage and still apply a strong lava font on death.

in Elementalist

Thyophelis.8035

take care

ele burst survivability is low compared to mesmer?…gl on your mesmer you’ll need it with that glass spec, because eles can burst even more on you while having way better stats,a well played s/d burst ele is the last thing you want to go against..

Just fought against r44 champion illusionist, double lightning strike+arcane blast..his life already at 30%…he tries shatter burst , plus chaos field and temporal curtain..he thinks to have won…I use updraft while immobilized, hence avoiding all burst without using a single cantrip ( in case you didn’t know updraft skill count as a dodge XD )…I switch to fire and close range phoenix to bring home victory ( this was third time out of 4, lost one because the coward moa formed me at 40% HP….so make sure to bring always moa form with you)

…really my friend…gl on your mesmer..you’ll need it..a lot^^, whoever it may be, I devastate you with air burst, if I catch you with full scepter burst..you’re no more, I can bring full tanks down to 20% HP once they eat my full burst, I count dodges..1-2-3-4..then come my updraft – dragon tooth’s/phoenix/air burst+arcane blast, of course during those 4 counts your HP will sit on 40% due to short CD air burst and with the new GM trait…god may have mercy on your soul

well I m not sure, should i be impressed by r44? I m glad you won 3 duells against a mesmer. You got him with dragontooth? well that should tell us alot about his skill. also using a staff against a ranged burst class is probably the worst choice for a mesmer. I m looking forward to duell against a scepter ele. unfortunately I have never found one roaming alone on a wvw map and I roam every day in WvW.

The scepter build certainly has it s strenghts in 1vs1, like most berserker builds do and I m sure you ll be able to kill a decent amount of people with it. I mean one of the best spvp ers runs scepter burst. But in small scale it quickly becomes too fragile. while I know 120% crit dmg Mesmers running in 25 guild teams and doing incredibly well.

in Elementalist

Arheundel.6451

You mean…a mesmer can fight an ele without his staff?….it’d be fun to see how you’d survive, what miracle happen lol, once you use decoy, mirror and blink…you’ll start running around like a headless chicken spamming ilusionary wave at recharge just delaying the inevitable..your death
No chaos field? no chaos armor? no phase retreat?…oh boy ^^, I’ll pray to Balthazar that you never meet a decent ele in WvWvW ( P.S my example was from tPvP against pre-made, which ofc I lost)